Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a crack down on illegal immigrants by the powers in charge. There is a gravel quarry about 1 kilometer from my house that has historically employed illegals, for the 16 years that I have lived here, from Myanmar. They are underpaid and the families live in tin huts in the quarry compound, the children don't go to school.. In the past police would come and would leave after "tea money" was paid. Yesterday was a different story. the police came along with the Army. They looked at everyone's paperwork and even though the owner offered the perennially bribe it was not accepted and he was told that they would be back in 1 month and if all of the worker's paperwork was not in order they would be arrested and deported and he would be arrested and fined. There is also another business that is facing the same [problem.

It seems that the new "government" has it's head screwed on straight and hopefully it won't be "cross threaded" before they can make some significant changes.

There seems to be a crack down on illegal immigrants by the powers in charge. There is a gravel quarry about 1 kilometer from my house that has historically employed illegals, for the 16 years that I have lived here, from Myanmar. They are underpaid and the families live in tin huts in the quarry compound, the children don't go to school.. In the past police would come and would leave after "tea money" was paid. Yesterday was a different story. the police came along with the Army. They looked at everyone's paperwork and even though the owner offered the perennially bribe it was not accepted and he was told that they would be back in 1 month and if all of the worker's paperwork was not in order they would be arrested and deported and he would be arrested and fined. There is also another business that is facing the same [problem.

It seems that the new "government" has it's head screwed on straight and hopefully it won't be "cross threaded" before they can make some significant changes.

Rum pore show about the illegal immigrants if they are at a loose end you could suggest that they come and settle in England we have thousands here that the government doesn't seem to do anything about their kids also get to go to school not to mention free hospital care, so all in all a much better deal.

Nearing the end of my trip here thank Buddha I must say it's been the pits. The weather has been at best rubbish, now at last picking up a trite with the temp: hovering around the low 20c also raining less. Not going to go down the road of prices except to say that milk/cheese is cheaper other than that everything is well over the top price wise example Diesel is £1,30+ a Lt as against 58p in Thailand that'll put a spanner/wrench AM in the works when using the beast.

Off on Thursday morning and it cant come soon enough.

Hope all is going well with you all.

H/M.

Fred.

There you go again using Limey Slang! What does "rum pore" mean? Actually this new requirement has put the owner of the stone quarry in a real bind. The immigrants have been living and working there for years and "tea money" has always taken care of the BIB, but not this time. There are actually 7 families and he's scrambling around trying to figure out what to do. He even asked my wife if he could move some of them into my unused pig pens and she actually asked me. Yeah right, transfer his problem to me, a farang! Actually would be better living conditions than where they live now as there is water and electric. He has a real problem as it is backbreaking labor and there is no way that he will get local Thais to do the job for what he is paying and would have to hire two Thais to replace one Burmese worker to get the same work done.

The beast has a 111 liter tank so filling it here at the current rate costs about 3400 baht, $106. It would cost 144 GBP + in the UK and $380 + in the US not good! I'm slowly finding where the extra parts belong, only have 2 left.

Take care on the way back and don't get hijacked or arrested at one of the new military checkpoints!

Edited by wayned

There you go again using Limey Slang! What does "rum pore" mean? Actually this new requirement has put the owner of the stone quarry in a real bind. The immigrants have been living and working there for years and "tea money" has always taken care of the BIB, but not this time. There are actually 7 families and he's scrambling around trying to figure out what to do. He even asked my wife if he could move some of them into my unused pig pens and she actually asked me. Yeah right, transfer his problem to me, a farang! Actually would be better living conditions than where they live now as there is water and electric. He has a real problem as it is backbreaking labor and there is no way that he will get local Thais to do the job for what he is paying and would have to hire two Thais to replace one Burmese worker to get the same work done.

The beast has a 111 liter tank so filling it here at the current rate costs about 3400 baht, $106. It would cost 144 GBP + in the UK and $380 + in the US not good! I'm slowly finding where the extra parts belong, only have 2 left.

Take care on the way back and don't get hijacked or arrested at one of the new military checkpoints!

I think the saying comes from the olden days when Rum the 'Drink' was given out free to all sailors in the British Navy.

Now tends to be used by us Upper class peeps describing anything that is questionable or very bad.

Very sensible not getting involved with any illegal immigrants just a thought maybe the quarry owner though that being a colonist yourself you might help out.

Come on then what two parts are left to fit on the beast please don't leave us LEGAL immigrants hovering in anticipation.

Flight back on Thursday early afternoon from Heathrow that's "London England" for you AM arriving 9+am Friday I will be having my usual Thai limo driver picking me up so should be ok for the trip back up to K.P.PHET Fingers crossed.

We did have a small problem at H/M mansions whilst I've has been away to-wit the electric motor that works the front gate went on the blink during a rain storm so Mrs H/M informed me. All sorted now thank Buddha due to her going to see the very nice man that supplied it in the first place. He evidently came strait away and fixed it for free.

Mrs H/M said it was because he didn't want to miss out on the next Hunt Ball, I think it's because he didn't want to turn into stone or a pillar of salt if he got one of her sideways glances.

H/M.

Fred.

Looked for "rum pore" everywhere that I could think of but no joy, google, dictionary, British slang dictionary but no luck.

Just make sure that your limo isn't a black van with blacked out windows.

Beast build is still on hold due to good planting weather and lazy helpers that use it as an excuse.

If your gate fails again I think that I know where you can get a new "automatic opener". All you would have to do is build a tin hut near your gate!

Looked for "rum pore" everywhere that I could think of but no joy, google, dictionary, British slang dictionary but no luck.

Beast build is still on hold due to good planting weather and lazy helpers that use it as an excuse.

If your gate fails again I think that I know where you can get a new "automatic opener". All you would have to do is build a tin hut near your gate!

My Buddha your up early not mucking out the pig pens are you.

I have just been watching the world cup looking at Spain getting slaughtered 5/1 by Holland.

That was after a visit to the local pub for a few pint's of Bitter, Beer AM, with the lads.

Lazy helpers now that could be an open invite to the illegals.

Already have a large tin hut near the main gate it's called the stables that's where Mrs H/M sleeps.

Better than a guard dog. Before anyone asks no she not for rent.

H/M.

Fred.

Watched all four games so far although I might have dozed a little. Was not much of a "soccer" fan when I came here in 1997 but it was the only sport on TV. The last game, OZ vs Chile was the best to me. England vs Italy at 5am tomorrow. Who do you think that I'm for?

Lazy helpers are why most of the illegals are here. It is a well known fact that you will have to hire two Thais to do the job that one Burmese will do! Sadly when AEC comes next year the Thais will find out the hard way.

Didn't want to rent your guard dog just suggested that you could hire someone to live in the hut and open the gate when necessary. You could even put one of those electronic dog collars on him/her with a remote.

All things come to those who wait my fine young colonial friend.

The problem with searches is GIGO. You got yours from H/M Fred.

Googling here may be better for you.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/307350.html

Nice website but still no "rum pore" only rum everything else!

Sorry to say that you'll just have to take H/M word for it.

It is a term quite regularly used by us upper class English peeps, look on the bright side you have had lot's of fun searching through the web.

May I ask what system are you using to look at the football it's on two channels here BBC & ITV in H/D for free. I have two systems in Thailand Tip cable and CTH whether is on any of those I don't know till I get back, then again 2/3/5am in the morning is some what early for me. There is of cause the repeats at a later time.

H/M.

Fred.

I watch it on channel 668 on true DSTV. The commentary is in English but the halftime and everything else in Thai.

Supposedly all 64 games are/will be available free on channel 7 but the commentary is in Thai. I checked the Brazil game but have not tried since then although they are listed in the programming guide,

I don't think that either TIP or CTH have them.

I watch it on channel 668 on true DSTV. The commentary is in English but the halftime and everything else in Thai.

Supposedly all 64 games are/will be available free on channel 7 but the commentary is in Thai. I checked the Brazil game but have not tried since then although they are listed in the programming guide,

I don't think that either TIP or CTH have them.

Thanks for that I know that Tip cable has 7 as you say that'll be all in Thai.

Looks like even CTH (last week it was up in the air if they would show it) Just looked up CTH on the internet and seems they will have it on live, all due to the military saying everyone will be able to see it, whether you can get the English commentary I will have to find out, like true you can change that from Thai to English so might stand a chance.

If I shall watch it during the early hours is another matter. Repeats now there's a thing, if you don't know the result it'll be like watching it live.

H/M.

Fred.

True repeats the games back to back during the day. But, can you refrain from checking the scores on the internet before watching them?

Watching Costa Rica and Uruguay now, started at 0200, currently 3-1 Costa Rica with 7 minutes left to play. (CR scored while I was typing). Didn't watch the Columbia - Greece game. England - Italy starts at 0500 but I will have to make my daily trip to the market to replenish my wife's restaurant supply so I will have to watch the end on replay unless it's a blow out.

I'm used to watching sports all night as the American football games start at midnight and are back to back all day on Mondays during the season.

True repeats the games back to back during the day. But, can you refrain from checking the scores on the internet before watching them?

Watching Costa Rica and Uruguay now, started at 0200, currently 3-1 Costa Rica with 7 minutes left to play. (CR scored while I was typing). Didn't watch the Columbia - Greece game. England - Italy starts at 0500 but I will have to make my daily trip to the market to replenish my wife's restaurant supply so I will have to watch the end on replay unless it's a blow out.

I'm used to watching sports all night as the American football games start at midnight and are back to back all day on Mondays during the season.

I have just watched the England Italy game wont tell you the result. I will give you my points of view later.

I did watch AM football once when I spent some time in Chang Mai, there was more time outs than play. The local American supporters did seem to enjoy it though.

H/M.

Fred.

I watched the game until the score was 2-1. It ended that way so I don't think that I missed a whole lot. Is the remainder worth watching on replay? Since I used to have an office in England I was and am always for the other side, internal office rivalry and who pays for the beer, but when they play France or Germany it will be a toss up since I had offices there also.

Ivory Coast came back and beat Japan most likely after you went to bed.

Unfortunately American televised football has become very boring. The timeouts are usually the result of TV commercials. It used to be a faster game with less attempts to "kill" your opponent on the other side. My brother in law played defensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles. His advertised statistics were 285 lbs. and 6 ft. 5 inches. I think that he was closer to 7 ft and 400 lbs and his hand could span my head like mine does a grapefruit! Games, high school and college, that are not televised move along a lot faster.

I watched the game until the score was 2-1. It ended that way so I don't think that I missed a whole lot. Is the remainder worth watching on replay? Since I used to have an office in England I was and am always for the other side, internal office rivalry and who pays for the beer, but when they play France or Germany it will be a toss up since I had offices there also.

Ivory Coast came back and beat Japan most likely after you went to bed.

Unfortunately American televised football has become very boring. The timeouts are usually the result of TV commercials. It used to be a faster game with less attempts to "kill" your opponent on the other side. My brother in law played defensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles. His advertised statistics were 285 lbs. and 6 ft. 5 inches. I think that he was closer to 7 ft and 400 lbs and his hand could span my head like mine does a grapefruit! Games, high school and college, that are not televised move along a lot faster.

Reply to your is it worth watching is a resounding NO. We were at best crap I cant see us getting past the first round.

The Germans were very good today wont tell you what happened as you may not have seen it.

The only game of American football I've ever watched was last years cup final what ever it's called and your right it was all adverts, to much money involved I suppose like most sport it's driven by same.

Only two days to go now a bit of shopping tomorrow Tuesday then sort out a few bits Wednesday ready for the taxi arriving 11.30am for the airport.

In all honesty it's been the worst nearly 5 week I have ever spent anywhere. It's been cold raining and no bugger smiles.

Trying to forget that I have got to come back to Blighty in 4+ months yet again. Then hopefully less time involved

But at least I've got the next months in the town/City of K.P.Phet. Albeit with Mrs H/M to prepare myself.

H/M.

Fred.

I think that the problem with a lot of American sports is not only the numerous stoppages for commercials but the introduction of instant replay, coaches challenges and automatic booth reviews of different type of plays. It's extended the normal American football game from about 2 hours to sometimes almost four. I've actually turned off the live game and watched the NFL replay as they throw out most of the BS.

It seems that it is slowly coming to international sports with a test of the computerized ball in the world cup and some replay shots that clearly show that the ref's call was wrong. I think that since it's a sport the ref's should have the final call, but it's so commercialized and there is so much money involved in winning or losing that will never happen again!

The US is in a tough group with both Germany and Portugal and they normally have a rough time with African teams but they actually beat Ghana 2-1 so they do have a chance of getting through the round Robbin phase.

What, no bugger smiles at you favorite Thai Restaurant? I just looked at my favorite Thai restaurant website in Newport Beach California, Phad Thai with shrimp 360 baht, what a deal! My wife cooks it for 30 baht!

I think that the problem with a lot of American sports is not only the numerous stoppages for commercials but the introduction of instant replay, coaches challenges and automatic booth reviews of different type of plays. It's extended the normal American football game from about 2 hours to sometimes almost four. I've actually turned off the live game and watched the NFL replay as they throw out most of the BS.

It seems that it is slowly coming to international sports with a test of the computerized ball in the world cup and some replay shots that clearly show that the ref's call was wrong. I think that since it's a sport the ref's should have the final call, but it's so commercialized and there is so much money involved in winning or losing that will never happen again!

The US is in a tough group with both Germany and Portugal and they normally have a rough time with African teams but they actually beat Ghana 2-1 so they do have a chance of getting through the round Robbin phase.

What, no bugger smiles at you favorite Thai Restaurant? I just looked at my favorite Thai restaurant website in Newport Beach California, Phad Thai with shrimp 360 baht, what a deal! My wife cooks it for 30 baht!

Well done the USA on doing what England couldn't do win that is.

I shall miss the next England game Thank Buddha as will be in the air flying back only hope that the captain doesn't give the result out as I might take to the drink.

Thai Restaurants in England never go, having to pay £3 that's over 150bt for 1 small portion of Thai rice let alone the toned down for the English pallet food.

Brazil game is starting soon should be off at 5pm our time. At least that'll be worth watching.

I still think Holland should do well.

H/M.

Fred.

Brazil game just finished a surprising score, at least to me It started her at 0200 but I was up and watching, at least with one eye. They're still tied and with only one game left it looks like they are both through to the next stage.

Scratch my conclusion. Since Cameroon and Croatia haven't played yet they both still stand a chance mathematically Like I said only one eye open and obviously my brain was still asleep! Now watching the beginning of Russia and Korea, 0-0.

Edited by wayned

Scratch my conclusion. Since Cameroon and Croatia haven't played yet they both still stand a chance mathematically Like I said only one eye open and obviously my brain was still asleep! Now watching the beginning of Russia and Korea, 0-0.

Ended 1/1 the Russian goalie is very suspect though. Didn't think that the Brazilians where that good Mexico were the better team, that went off at 8pm here and not 5 as I had previous stated.

Banking and packing today ready for the off Yippee.

Bloody cold this morning + had some rain overnight.

H/M.

Fred.

H/M has arrived back flew BA and not EVA this time, must say the are at best rubbish seats dating back to the eighties so was the food in a word inedible to give you an idea they did present a large pat of butter but nothing to put it on bread wise maybe it was to put on the seat runners to make them run more smoothly it was early it's only saving grace.

Well England out of the world cup H/M did predict it. The local is doing a sweep stake on the result H/M has got Holland in that.

Have been a bizzy boy since my return the outside auto light was on the blink so is my electric motor that open's the gate, light now sorted only the motor to go cant do anything about that till the Thai company open Monday looks like it might need a new one only 20th bt + maybe I should have stayed in Blighty.

Cant give you an update on how things are in N/S as was sleeping most of the way up. Have got to go through N/S before the end of the week having to go to Uthai Thani, will report my finding later.

Not heard from Nong Dave for some time last posted just before he went to England maybe he's frozen up. Where are you Dave???

H/M.

Fred.

Glad to hear that you made it back in on piece. Thought that you might have opened the door in flight if the captain was broadcasting a play by play of the England game over the intercom. BA, what were you drinking when you booked?

You can go to Uthai Thani without going thru NS. Take the wonderful bypass, get off at the exit before the river. Go through Khik Samrong, Tap Than, Nong Chong then on to Uthai. I used to teach in Nong Chong and it's a pleasant country drive with little traffic. about 10ks further.

Hey Fred

You could always go down the route 1 and cut across to Lat Yao on the 1072 and then take the 3013 to Wang Mueang / Thaptan then the 3221 to Uthai Thai.

It is the country route but unless you have a GPS or a native guide you will probably get lost.

When I go to BKK from Klong Lan it is down to Lat Yao for me and then across country. A much nicer and quieter route than the main road. I then go on to the route 1 around Chainat.

Glad to hear that you made it back in on piece. Thought that you might have opened the door in flight if the captain was broadcasting a play by play of the England game over the intercom. BA, what were you drinking when you booked?

You can go to Uthai Thani without going thru NS. Take the wonderful bypass, get off at the exit before the river. Go through Khik Samrong, Tap Than, Nong Chong then on to Uthai. I used to teach in Nong Chong and it's a pleasant country drive with little traffic. about 10ks further.

The only reason I went BA was I have got fed up siting around all day waiting for 5pm to go to the airport for the 9.30pm flight with EVA. I also got it at a 40% discount. But rest assured I shall never use them again regardless of costs.

I booked my ticket while I was still in K.P.P on arriving back to Blighty I had got an email from EVA telling me about a new deal business class for £1.998 return all I had to do was book by the end of July for a ticket anytime of the year. Rubbing salt into the wound so to speak.

I do go the way you suggested via the bypass but Mr's H/M want's to call into a sewing shop not far from the Wat in N/S for some bit's, will do that on the way back.

Bill.

I never go across country I do have a S/Nav but I find it easier to just get on the 1 stick it in cruse control and let the limo do the work I think it's called lazy.

Big day tomorrow Makro stock up on goodies, Bank, sort out the gate motor, + several phone call's I should be able to take it easy by Tuesday though.

First time ever I'm suffering with jet lag keep waking up at 4am going to pop a Thai sleeping tablet tonight to see if that helps.

H/M.

Fred.

The Thai sleeping medicine sold here comes in bottles, is served in small glasses and is called "Lao Khao"!

Watching Algeria vs Korea as I type Korea down by 2 goals with only 17 minutes left. Can't wait to see the US/Portugal game and expect that the final score will be in my favor as I bet against the US with the local "bookie"!

Edited by wayned

The only reason I went BA was I have got fed up siting around all day waiting for 5pm to go to the airport for the 9.30pm flight with EVA. I also got it at a 40% discount. But rest assured I shall never use them again regardless of costs.

I booked my ticket while I was still in K.P.P on arriving back to Blighty I had got an email from EVA telling me about a new deal business class for £1.998 return all I had to do was book by the end of July for a ticket anytime of the year. Rubbing salt into the wound so to speak.

I do go the way you suggested via the bypass but Mr's H/M want's to call into a sewing shop not far from the Wat in N/S for some bit's, will do that on the way back.

Bill.

I never go across country I do have a S/Nav but I find it easier to just get on the 1 stick it in cruse control and let the limo do the work I think it's called lazy.

Big day tomorrow Makro stock up on goodies, Bank, sort out the gate motor, + several phone call's I should be able to take it easy by Tuesday though.

First time ever I'm suffering with jet lag keep waking up at 4am going to pop a Thai sleeping tablet tonight to see if that helps.

H/M.

Fred.

Fred I usually try to go across country as it is far more interesting plus I don't have a gas guzzling battle tank like you.

I try to rely on memory banks backed up by GPS and manual control.

More interesting and much more fun.

The Thai sleeping medicine sold here comes in bottles, is served in small glasses and is called "Lao Khao"!

Watching Algeria vs Korea as I type Korea down by 2 goals with only 17 minutes left. Can't wait to see the US/Portugal game and expect that the final score will be in my favor as I bet against the US with the local "bookie"!

Lao khao. That reminds me of a time I took some to England it was in my drinks cupboard for years unopened well that was till I had a party one night, when a very pretty young lady said what's that drink I tried to explain it was Thai brain damage but she insisted on trying it. The upshot was after several schooner glasses and an hour later she had lost the plot stripped off and was running about demanding sex from everyone.

Oh how I remember it well. Those were the days.

My Thai sleeping tablet are Valium obtained from my local chemist, I get then for sleeping on the long plane journeys, by Buddha do they work.

Contrary to local gossip H/M doesn't drink much at all and never before 6pm. Talking of drink Mikes our local now has an even better selection of Ales a very nice cider 7.5% lots more German type Beer both dark and blond + several other's all in all makes a change from the local stuff.

Bill.

My Limo doesn't use lots of fuel I get about 12 km,lt on a run that's if I use C/Control, and don't give it a lot of welly (heavy right foot to the colonists)

It's all right for you as you start off in the country anyway. N/S from me direct is 107km via the country route/rout.AM It'll be about 30 more + I would never get in top gear the tank doesn't go into top till it gets to 80kph.

EEEEEEEEEEEK it's just started to pee down (rain.AM)

off now don't want to comp: to go down.

H/M

Fred.