UK pensions

My UK pension due date was a Monday but now a Thursday due to a swift bank number wanted some time back, my telephone call to DWP resulted in me guessing it is held up by being paid into the Thai Bank head office branch in Bangkok and then they send it to my Bangkok bank branch.

Are there others here who still get paid on there original due date ?

Edited by theoldgit
Snipped

Just a couple of questions

I have now arranged to have my UK pension paid to my Thai bank account.

1. I understand that the first payment will be approx up to seven days later. Is this correct? and

2. I also understand that subsequent four weekly payments will arrive on your allocated day subject of course to US/UK/Thai bank holidays. Again, is this correct?

You haven't said if you have moved your pension from a UK account to a Thai account or if it is your very first pension payment. If it is your very first payment then it should come on the date advised. I take it you are referring to a UK state pension.

As for getting paid, that seems to vary and it may depend on the Thai bank. My pension is due on a Friday and invariably arrives around 09.30 on the Friday morning. It has been 1 day late on 3 occasions over the last 4 years. If there has been a UK holiday at the weekend it was due I have received it early on the Thursday, same has happened with a Thai holiday on the Friday. US holidays are not an issue.

Mine has been extremely reliable but others haven't fared as well. Some time ago there was an issue over late payments and the outcome didn't seem to improve the situation.

Hope it goes well.

My UK pension due date was a Monday but now a Thursday due to a swift bank number wanted some time back, my telephone call to DWP resulted in me guessing it is held up by being paid into the Thai Bank head office branch in Bangkok and then they send it to my Bangkok bank branch.

Are there others here who still get paid on there original due date ?

Yes. I had no interruption, just came as usual.

Edited by theoldgit
Quote snipped
  • Like 1

Occasional date fluctuations sometimes three days late but over the last year 9 of the 13 payments have been on time. It's not a burning issue and I am of the opinion that the problems arise at this end with the receiving bank(s).

I have been with U.O.B. since they arrived here in Thailand some 16 to 17 years back and I've always found their service extremely good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I have changed from my UK bank to my Thai bank and yes, it is the state pension. My private pensions continue to be paid to my UK bank account.

Cheers.

That being the case, I am sure I read somewhere that they needed one months notice to change from one account to another, payment day should remain the same.

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I have changed from my UK bank to my Thai bank and yes, it is the state pension. My private pensions continue to be paid to my UK bank account.

Cheers.

That being the case, I am sure I read somewhere that they needed one months notice to change from one account to another, payment day should remain the same.

I read when I arranged my UK state pension that if I chose a UK bank I would not be able to change bank payments to a Thai bank for 1 year.

Just an update to say that my pension forecast finally arrived today. I was a bit concerned at how my Class 3 payments would be viewed but was relieved to see that the forecast was only 43p short of the new uprated pension - this being a COPE deduction which must have happened way back in the dim and distant past.

The forecast confirmed my 36 qualifying years so am more than happy with the outcome, particularly with all the recent press reports and other comments indicating that very few would qualify for anything close to the full uprated pension. Now just need the frozen issue to be resolved in the next couple of years, but not expecting miracles on that issue.

"The Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Harriett Baldwin said:

Its only right that people should have a choice over what they do with their money and in their first year our successful pension freedoms have already given thousands of people access and responsibility over their hard-earned savings."

And it's unfortunate that they haven't extended those freedoms to the vast majority QROPS. These freedoms were deleted from the Statutory Instrument at the last minute. Currently, there is only pension freedom for QROPS within EU countries... and the EU doesn't include Guernsey, Jersey or Isle of Man, so lots of expats are stuck with relatively expensive pensions. Once again the UK Government screws expats over pensions.

Are there any benefits of having a gov. pension sent to a thai bank account, rather than leaving in a uk account????.Bank charges for money sent to thai accounts can be high, so examples please.

If you mean the state pension direct payment, then yes. My pension comes into my Thai account at a rate slightly better than Super Rich and clear of charges.

If you don't need the money then it can be argued that it is better to keep in the UK and speculate on the best time to move it.

Edited by theoldgit
Unnecessarily long follow on quote removed.
  • Like 1

Are there any benefits of having a gov. pension sent to a thai bank account, rather than leaving in a uk account????.Bank charges for money sent to thai accounts can be high, so examples please.

If you mean the state pension direct payment, then yes. My pension comes into my Thai account at a rate slightly better than Super Rich and clear of charges.

If you don't need the money then it can be argued that it is better to keep in the UK and speculate on the best time to move it.

And no ATM charges....thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Hi All,

FYI: I'm currently in UK and have this evening tried to register and use the Govt gateway in order to apply for state pension forecast. As soon as i entered my passport details I was fobbed off at the high port with some old chestnut about "you have lived or worked abroad' & offered a link that I had naively assumed had been superseded by the online process. I gave them a flea in the ear via the feedback form that appeared after the failed attempt.

I didn't bother trying to renew my UK driving licence...

Note: Gateway currently sends a 4 digit code to UK landline or mob no's every time you log in so you can more or less forget about trying to do anything from Thailand.

On a lighter note I was able to establish that my state pension age will be 66 years and 6 months/11 years from now.

Edited by evadgib

Hi All,

FYI: I'm currently in UK and have this evening tried to register and use the Govt gateway in order to apply for state pension forecast. As soon as i entered my passport details I was fobbed off at the high port with some old chestnut about "you have lived or worked abroad' & offered a link that I had naively assumed had been superseded by the online process. I gave them a flea in the ear via the feedback form that appeared after the failed attempt.

Note: Gateway currently sends a 4 digit code to UK landline or mob no's every time you log in so you can more or less forget about trying to do anything from Thailand.

On a lighter note I was able to establish that my state pension age will be 66 years and 6 months/11 years from now.

I have a UK pay as you go so no problem getting on to the gateway sites. First time it came up I tried my Thai phone but got no response.

I renewed my driving licence last year without a problem, maybe changed since then. That was probably my last time anyway, expires in about 18 months. I can see a bit of a problem trying to get the doctors certificate.

Hi All,

Unless they change the goalpost by then.

Hi All,

You have to become computer savvy to overcome,VPN etc, shifting that computer clock on computer etc too,cookies ,do not track even obtaining UK based phone no,that rings 'phone in Thailand and vice versa all local rates to UK...suppose Thailand would have made unfrozen list,if short timing and cost of setting up deals those 40 odd years ago was agreed. Up until the 70s inflation was not a problem,that's why the white commonwealth countries were not included,got enough money ,do not need any more

Renewing a passport at a Thai address probably did it for me.

We're once again 2nd class citizens when it comes to receiving any sort of service from HMG these days.

I registered my address with the HMRC, they sent me a password in the post, and I can use the gateway services fine from Thailand.

This is all detailed on the site. You can communicate, request various forecasts , submit tax returns, and look up your tax information all online from a foreign location.

Some information you request may be restricted to being sent by mail if you have given a foreign address, but most online services work OK. You just have to set it up from here.

• Like 1

We're once again 2nd class citizens when it comes to receiving any sort of service from HMG these days.

I registered my address with the HMRC, they sent me a password in the post, and I can use the gateway services fine from Thailand.

This is all detailed on the site. You can communicate, request various forecasts , submit tax returns, and look up your tax information all online from a foreign location.

Some information you request may be restricted to being sent by mail if you have given a foreign address, but most online services work OK. You just have to set it up from here.

May I ask Partington if you are registered as non-UK resident for tax purposes?

May I ask Partington if you are registered as non-UK resident for tax purposes?

When I left the UK I filled in the HMRC form that gives notice you are leaving the country, and when I was submitting tax returns for the few years I had to (before they asked me to stop because my UK rental income never got above the personal allowance) I always filled in the non-resident section, and I have given them an official contact address in Thailand, so you probably could term it "registered".

I think however that each tax year is taken individually, and as soon as you are in the UK more than 180 days (or whatever it is now) you are officially tax resident, no matter what you have told them previously, so there is no actual "registration", it is determined purely by number of days in the country in any particular year.