UK pensions

...having done the above by phone a few mins ago while still in UK I await the arrival of their paperwork ('10 working days'-For convenience I had it sent to my UK billing address) before establishing how far the NI goalposts have moved.

I return to LoS next week.

Well they are certainly improving on some things. I did my last one just over the 2 years before my pension, would have been about 6 years ago now and it took about 10 weeks to come through.

Same for me - about 6 years ago I applied by phone and in writing and got a forecast after a few months of calls chasing it up.

The International Consortium of British Pensioners (ICBP)

In anticipation of the debate today: an article in the National newspaper:

http://www.thenational.scot/news/reverse-freeze-on-pensions-for-those-abroad-says-mp.17385

Watch Ian Blackford frozen pensions debate LIVE now http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/b1243b8c-6f45-448c-9070-785a8d4b8206
Edited by Expattaff1308
  • Like 1

A very interesting speech which was mostly ignored by the very small handful of MPs who had nothing better to do.

• Like 2

A very interesting speech which was mostly ignored by the very small handful of MPs who had nothing better to do.

Yes see the chamber was packed to hear the debate.whistling.gif . Usual interest by these self serving parasites!!

I think that perhaps they get paid just for turning up. The upper chamber (the House of Lords) certainly do.

• Like 1

I can't be bothered to read back to see if this has been covered before.

If a person has a bank account in the UK, you don't have to close it if

you move to Thailand, just give them your Thai address and keep it

active, like having things paid in or paying your credit card min by DD.

I'm speaking for one particular bank, Lloyds, don't know about others.

The information is correct as of today, as I went with someone to a

Lloyds branch and he spoke with the manager.

Yes, that's true, I don't even give my UK bank my Thai address, I keep in touch by e-mail from

my banks website, and unlike my Thai bank, they always answer them.

Subject to you having a UK address.

When your debit/credit card is up for renewal and you don't have a UK address then you'll have a problem.

Yes, but if you do not have a UK address, you can always use a mailing company.

Some of them give you a personal address, also handy when you want something

from Amazon, who sometimes don't ship to Thailand.

It is down to bank policy.

About 2 years ago I had an email from HSBC asking me to go the bank to discuss the account. I replied that I was out of the country and would be back in about 4 months. They said to make an appointment at the first opportunity.

When I went to the appointment the guy almost straight away said that they had reason to believe that I was living abroad. I have no idea how they came by that but felt it safer to be honest. He then explained that it was not company policy to maintain accounts for people living abroad. He then went on to say that as the account was quite active, I have a small pension paid in to that account, they were prepared to keep it open for the time being but the decision could be reversed at any time. I had to supply them with my Thai address and details of my Thai bank account.

I use an online postal service as a UK address and they may have picked up on that. They were quite happy to keep that as an address but they will not send cards to there or Thailand, I get my son to collect from the branch.

Some postal services give you your own personal address.

I have a question about uprating:

If a pension is frozen for say five years because the pensioner lives in Thailand, when they return to the UK to live they begin to receive annual increases but the previous five years is not made up also, is that correct?

No, believe it is updated to the amount it would have been if you'd remained in the UK continuously for that period.

I believe that to be the case based on the fact that when I visit the UK and/or the EU I always claim the updated pension for the days I'm there, yes even if it's only days, I've always been paid the full rate.

• Like 1

About 2 years ago I had an email from HSBC asking me to go the bank to discuss the account. I replied that I was out of the country and would be back in about 4 months. They said to make an appointment at the first opportunity.

When I went to the appointment the guy almost straight away said that they had reason to believe that I was living abroad. I have no idea how they came by that but felt it safer to be honest. He then explained that it was not company policy to maintain accounts for people living abroad. He then went on to say that as the account was quite active, I have a small pension paid in to that account, they were prepared to keep it open for the time being but the decision could be reversed at any time. I had to supply them with my Thai address and details of my Thai bank account.

I use an online postal service as a UK address and they may have picked up on that. They were quite happy to keep that as an address but they will not send cards to there or Thailand, I get my son to collect from the branch.

Yes, I have a personal address from the company I use.

Last year I took BA and their ticket agent to court over an airfare refund, couldn't have done it without a UK address.

No, believe it is updated to the amount it would have been if you'd remained in the UK continuously for that period.

I believe that to be the case based on the fact that when I visit the UK and/or the EU I always claim the updated pension for the days I'm there, yes even if it's only days, I've always been paid the full rate.

Bit coincidental, I was just about to ask a question on that. Is your pension paid direct to a Thai bank account?

I have never bothered before as I am sure I read that they cannot change the amount paid under the direct payment system. With the difference being what it is now I would like to clarify if that is the case and if there is any easy way to make the claim.

Last year I took BA and their ticket agent to court over an airfare refund, couldn't have done it without a UK address.

I'm surprised it had to go to court, I was due an airfare refund from a travel agent in Pattaya when Eva refused to let me fly back to Thailand.

I had to pay a single flight back to Thailand with Thai Airways, I was promised a full refund within 6 weeks and I got it.

They paid it into my Thai bank account.

A hoax which has been circulating in one for or another since 2004. The figures for immigrants bear no relationship whatsoever to reality.

More info at:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/uk-pensioners-asylum-seekers-protest.shtml

http://www.migrantsrights.org.uk/blog/2012/08/viral-migrant-bashing

also relevant:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/refugees.asp

I'm surprised it had to go to court, I was due an airfare refund from a travel agent in Pattaya when Eva refused to let me fly back to Thailand.

I had to pay a single flight back to Thailand with Thai Airways, I was promised a full refund within 6 weeks and I got it.

why did they refuse you, no onward flight?

I don't know, my name just wasn't on the list for some unknown reason, the lady at the check in could not explain why, and

suggested to me to go and buy a single flight with Thai Airways which had a flight leaving around the same time, and that is what I did.

Pensions are not a benefit

That's an argument that comes from being mislead.

Fact is you contributed to an older generations pension, not your own.

Or misssold

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit
  • Like 2

Which just goes to show how pants HSBC is. My father opened a Natwest account for me long before I lived in the UK, and they currently send my statements to my address overseas.

Pensions are not a benefit

No, they are an entitlement.

The problem lies in the common usage of the term "benefits". In recent years the term has most commonly been used in the media in the context of "handouts", "benefit fraud", "benefits scrounger" or "living off benefits".

The government doesn't help by lumping benefits and pensions together and calling it the "welfare budget".

The word "entitlement" makes what is now the necessary distinction between those things which have paid for through direct monetary contributions and "benefits", being those payments emanating from the state, for which the recipient has made no direct contribution.

The subtle blending of these two categories into the single terms "benefits" or "welfare" serves the government's purpose well as taxpayers can be caused to believe they are giving us something for nothing and furthermore,that we should be exceedingly grateful.

A similar state of affairs prevails when you access NHS entitlements such as hearing aids. On how many occasions are we told that these are free for NHS patients and correspondingly receive third class "cattle truck" service.

I am surprised we are even allowed to use the same waiting room as the glitteratti !

State pension is not part of the welfare budget, you can see from your income tax analysis that it is a separate entity.

Your taxes and public spending
This shows a break down of how your taxes have been or will be spent by government.
Welfare (25.3%)
Health (19.9%)
State Pensions (12.8%)
Education (12.5%)
Defence (5.4%)
National Debt Interest (5.0%)
Public Order and Safety (4.4%)
Transport (3.0%)
Business And Industry (2.7%)
Government Administration (2.0%)
Culture eg sports, libraries, museums (1.8%)
Environment (1.7%)
Housing and Utilities eg street lighting (1.6%)
Overseas Aid (1.3%)
UK Contribution to the EU Budget (0.6%)
  • Like 2

That would apply if possum was on a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa, but not if he had a non O visa, or a business visa etc. I was almost refused a flight when travelling on a different passport to the one my visa was in ( dual nationality ), but it got worked out.