Geelong

Carlton

Sydney

Gold Coast

Essendon

Nth Melbourne

Fremantle

Another 9/9 picker for the week! w00t.gif

I think I will hold out on my tips until tomorrow. The AFL is expected to hand down it's finding on Essendon later today or tomorrow. AFL officials are currently meeting with Essendon. The penalties are expected to be harsh and the Bombers have vowed to take court action if they are stripped of points.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah what the heck, I'll do my tips now. The Bombers won't be playing for anything (wooden spooners) and Bomber Thompson will be coach.

Round 20

HAWTHORN

RICHMOND

GEELONG

CARLTON

SYDNEY

GOLD COAST

WEST COAST

ADELAIDE

FREMANTLE

• Like 1

McGlynn will probably come in for Everitt or Brandon Jack...

Seems I was off the mark...

Jed Lamb out McGlynn like Flynn...

Lamb has been playing up forward so it makes sense in a way. Must have been a toss up with him and Everitt in some ways. Shame for Lamb though, I thought he was really good the last 2 weeks. I dont know if he is locked in for the future? Be worth keeping.

Brandon jack has been a little dynamo so far and I expect he remains in because of the extra run he gives coming in as sub or off the bench. His nickname should be 'Baby Face'.

Benny M is our number one goal scorer this season with 24

Edited by BookMan

So guys, especially you Syd boys, what do you think the go is on

Sydney's cost of living allowance? I know Ed has been going on about

it for ever and a day.

I'm ok with it, even though WA is now the priciest city in Australia.

The reason being, that WA is at least a football state.

IMO, if Sydney were getting slaughtered each week, it wouldn't be an issue.

I love it when the Melbourne clubs get high and mighty over stuff like this.

I still remember the Eagles having to play Essendon in Melbourne in a final

after finishing above them due to the contractual obligations for the MCG.

• Like 1

So guys, especially you Syd boys, what do you think the go is on

Sydney's cost of living allowance? I know Ed has been going on about

it for ever and a day.

I'm ok with it, even though WA is now the priciest city in Australia.

The reason being, that WA is at least a football state.

IMO, if Sydney were getting slaughtered each week, it wouldn't be an issue.

I love it when the Melbourne clubs get high and mighty over stuff like this.

I still remember the Eagles having to play Essendon in Melbourne in a final

after finishing above them due to the contractual obligations for the MCG.

I love it because I'm a Sydney supporter laugh.png.

Seriously though...IMO, The AFL needs a successful team in Sydney to keep public interest and support going here. From that sense alone, of reaching an extra 5 million people, all clubs should want Sydney based teams to be successful. Can't imagine networks paying so much for TV rights if a Sydney/NSW audience does not tune in.

(Western Sydney public will respond to GWS because they will see it as a genuine Western Sydney team. Buddy Franklin could bring forward public support by years)

If you pay a player $300k a year, then they can get much better value buying a house/unit in Gold Coast, Adelaide, outer suburbs of Perth and Melbourne. Property wise, while Perth has become more expensive, and Melbourne is becoming more expensive, they are still a reasonable $ amount behind Sydney. Take into account also that many players recruited have no ties to Sydney, then it makes sense to offer an incentive. $330k in Sydney could be $300k/250K elsewhere. (200K on Gold Coast).

I'm not sure of the current formula, but a weighted index of salary allowance based on Property costs and general cost of living seems reasonable for any state as an ongoing basis. I think that just makes recruitment more equitable.

I cant help but think Eddie starts squeaking to deflect attention from Collingwood's own talented team that has wasted so much opportunity the last few years.

Tom Waterhouse sells to William Hill

Controversial bookmaker Tom Waterhouse has sold his online business to UK bookmaker William Hill for far less than initially expected.

William Hill, which acquired Sportingbet Australia this year for $660 million, said it was paying $34 million for the betting firm, with the assumption of up to $6 million of balance sheet liabilities.

The betting agency said that a potential additional earn-out of up to $70 million could also be payable, subject to the performance of the business until end-2015, taking the value of the deal up to $110 million.

The sale comes after a lengthy process. Originally, Mr Waterhouse was seeking to sell a 50 per cent stake in the business for as much as $100 million, according to media reports.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/tom-waterhouse-sells-to-william-hill-20130809-2rlmg.html

Hahah foreign ownership at its best! Ms Shinawatra take note ;)

Seems a tidy little earner for the young Waterhouse lad...

As for the continual Eddie vs the rest of the world. Need he be reminded that he just came back from a junket to the USA and didn't spend a dime?

What was the junket about again? Competitiveness and level playing fields or something similar...

Now seriously, Eddie must have some serious jet lag (can't see how that's possible given they most likely flew up the front of either an Emirates jet or a Qantas one and either way sleep qould not have been an issue, perhaps too much clear air turbulence disrupted his slumber :P ) or early onset dementia.

Forgetting that he used to be CEO of Australia's largest TV network and living where?

Ohhhhh Eddie you do say the silliest things sometimes...

Thank God that Kennett is no longer the President at Hawthorn, otherwise we'd never hear the end of it!

I'm surprised Adelaide don't get up about this issue, cost of living in Adelaide is ridiculous!

My parents have lived there for going on 10 years and up until recently were renting a 2 bedroom town house off Hutt Street (Adelaide's Café and Restaurant strip) for what I would consider an extortionate amount.

The old man who's in property himself assured me it's par for the course if you live in the "square" (the square being Adelaide bounded by parklands on all 4 sides) but coming from Sydney and knowing Sydney prices I still thought it excessive.

Then you add in the price of beer and sh!t hits the fan! Again, being from Sydney I'm used to paying more for a schooner or pint (if you're not from the eastern states) but $14 for a pint of Coopers Vintage Ale? Thankfully it wasn't my shout :P

Don't get me wrong though, I love Adelaide - don't know anywhere else where from the CBD you can travel 2 hours and be in several different wine areas! Which equates to about over a thousand wineries ;)

But back to footy! The cost of living allowance must stay if the AFL wish to maintain 2 teams in Sydney.

GWS will become competitive in the next 2 years in the same way as GC have shown this year.

The Demons are going through a downer at the moment, happened to Sydney about 25 years ago. Happened to Brisbane and Fitzroy about 20 years ago.

Perhaps at the end of the day Eddie was trying to throw up a diversion, try and steer attention away from Essendon.

• Like 1

Flicking between this and the cricket... Battle of the Yawn...

Saints not completely out of this yet 4 and a bit goals down... If they were a bit more on the ball they'd be closer if not in front...

Funny you should say that...I thought it must just be my mood tonight... I turned off both and went and watched COPS with the GF.. laugh.png

Saints not completely out of this yet 4 and a bit goals down... If they were a bit more on the ball they'd be closer if not in front...

Funny you should say that...I thought it must just be my mood tonight... I turned off both and went and watched COPS with the GF.. laugh.png

was expecting the saints get thumped by 20 plus goals. with the entire backline out injured apart from Gwilt who has just returned from injury they actually put up a little bit of a fight.

I agree fella's. I only get 4 games per week via Australian Network so it's rare that I don't watch the game.

But just couldn't put up with Bruce trying to inject some excitement into the game.

Put on the Person of Interest dvd instead, which was definitely not about Brucebiggrin.png

• Like 1

Watched the Gee/Port game today. There is no harder task than Geelong at Skilled,

especially after a loss. Saw today that out of the last 43 games there, they have won 42.

One thing that strikes me is that if you're playing Port, you would want to be in front at 3

quarter time by a fair margin to be safe. They have the best 4th quarter record in the league.

As GrantSmith said recently, their fitness guy has worked wonders.

Port have the 3rd youngest list in the comp after GC and GWS so there's a lot of upside there.

Doggies up against Carlton at half time.

Just tuning in now to watch so not sure what happened first half

Just heard on the internet/radio that the WB have got the chocolates, so I'm a happy man mate.

Now I can watch the Syd/Coll as a contented manbiggrin.png

Doggies up against Carlton at half time.

Just tuning in now to watch so not sure what happened first half

Just heard on the internet/radio that the WB have got the chocolates, so I'm a happy man mate.

Now I can watch the Syd/Coll as a contented manbiggrin.png

I only caught the second half. Carlton ended up in the 3rd quarter with no interchanges, already used their sub and 3 players injured. I don't know if it would have mattered really. Carlton looks like a dispirited team.

Ripstanley and GrantSMith will be happy. They both picked the Bulldogs thumbsup.gif

Edited by BookMan

Watched the Gee/Port game today. There is no harder task than Geelong at Skilled,

especially after a loss. Saw today that out of the last 43 games there, they have won 42.

One thing that strikes me is that if you're playing Port, you would want to be in front at 3

quarter time by a fair margin to be safe. They have the best 4th quarter record in the league.

As GrantSmith said recently, their fitness guy has worked wonders.

Port have the 3rd youngest list in the comp after GC and GWS so there's a lot of upside there.

Good point about their young list.

Port Adelaide

Gold Coast

Richmond

Western bulldogs

all will have good years in 2014 you would think

SYdney under pressure at 3 quarter time. Sydney's midfield just cant get going due to sustained pressure. Collingwood dominating.

Sydney lose this and they could drop out of the top 4 by season end blink.png

Tippet 6 goals!. If Sydney could just get the ball inside their 50 more he could have 10 goals by now .

The last goal of the quarter after the siren really hurt Sydney.

McGlynn subbed out for Brandon Jack!

Edited by BookMan

Grrrrr... Well the same thing happened last year and we know what happened so gotta take the good with the bad tongue.png

They looked a bit all at sea tonight the swans. Midfield just couldnt click after the first quarter. No free running like they are used to.

Jesse white not seen after the first quarter. Benny Mcglynn not seen. Kieran jack kept quiet. Jetta's running missed on the outside.

Agreed, further added by Tippett bagging a half dozen..

We had to lose one along the way to get us right for the final push to the last Saturday in September...

The Pies always come to play when they come to Sydney. No matter where they're sitting on the ladder.

We'll bounce back...

Grrrrr... Well the same thing happened last year and we know what happened so gotta take the good with the bad tongue.png

They looked a bit all at sea tonight the swans. Midfield just couldnt click after the first quarter. No free running like they are used to.

Jesse white not seen after the first quarter. Benny Mcglynn not seen. Kieran jack kept quiet. Jetta's running missed on the outside.

Boys, even though Tippett was huge, I thought you looked a tad predictable.

When it was the under performing Reid in front, it was shared around a lot more.

I think Goodes is the missing piece of the puzzle.

Collingwood do seem to enjoy ANZ and I think the Swans play better at the SCG

as it's more confined and seems to suit the Swans tight, tough and contested style.

There has been talk that Geelong want to play a final at Skilled now that it's sized has

been increased and has lights etc. That would be a frightening scenario as they're almost

unbeatable there.