Paradise Is Still Burning

villagefarang

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with VF. But, as a visitor to Thailand there is nothing we can do about it. In Canada we have our problems with the indigenous people who use modern equipment to plunger the wilderness of fish and game, but then blame the government when the obvious happens.

• Like 1

On my blog I tend to steer away from news events or the more sensationalized aspects of Thailand. Therefore I have been avoiding the burning problem except in passing comments. Finally I realized that it had become a pervasive part of my life and was affecting everything I do and don’t do.

To help relieve the fatigue and frustration of being confined to an air-conditioned room I finally broke down and wrote about the burning. It helps sometimes to purge ones muddled mind and put things down on the page. I am glad some of you approve of what I wrote and I appreciate your comments.

• Like 1

Thank for the "likes" ronniem, Carib and David48. And wouldn't you know, theblether would be the only one to comment.biggrin.png

there probably a lack of comments because nobody knows what to say .........its a problem ,which hopefuly in thai style will go away

if ignored for long enough ,a bit like the floods,until it happens again

for the people who live in bkk and pattaya ,they probably dont realise the extent of whats happening because they are not overly affected by it

thai people in bkk watched the floods on the news in ayudaya but didnt care too much until it was alledgedly coming to bkk

to be honest ,i live in bkk and i woudnt even know theres a problem in chiang mai unless i read it here

thais with full time jobs probably dont have as much time to spend reading online as i do and even if they knew ,its one of those times where everyone

knows somethings wrong ,but nobody knows what to do about it

in times like this the thai just sits back and says "khao pad ka pow ! " and just accet it and hope it will go way by itself

• Like 1

Thank for the "likes" ronniem, Carib and David48. And wouldn't you know, theblether would be the only one to comment.biggrin.png

there probably a lack of comments because nobody knows what to say .........its a problem ,which hopefuly in thai style will go away

if ignored for long enough ,a bit like the floods,until it happens again

for the people who live in bkk and pattaya ,they probably dont realise the extent of whats happening because they are not overly affected by it

thai people in bkk watched the floods on the news in ayudaya but didnt care too much until it was alledgedly coming to bkk

to be honest ,i live in bkk and i woudnt even know theres a problem in chiang mai unless i read it here

thais with full time jobs probably dont have as much time to spend reading online as i do and even if they knew ,its one of those times where everyone

knows somethings wrong ,but nobody knows what to do about it

in times like this the thai just sits back and says "khao pad ka pow ! " and just accet it and hope it will go way by itself

My wife says she doesn’t really think about it much because she knows she can’t do anything about it. In her words you just can’t change other people. All you can do is learn how to cope.

I could be wrong, not having lived there for a long time, but I believe back in the old country we used to burn back the heather, and burn the stubble off the fields, but no longer do so. That was a long time after we stopped using oxen in the fields. Maybe we should complain if the Thais are still burning the rice stubble in ten years' time. Or maybe we should holiday and live elsewhere, if it offends us so.

My dear old mother got grief from a neighbour across the road last time she had a bonfire to get rid of her garden waste, and bought one of those chipping machines.

SC

• Like 2

Excellent post, VF, nothing much to add to that.

The sad reality is that the Planet is much more populated than 100 or 1000 yrs ago..It will get worse before it gets better...I remember a famous B. Marley song : ...Total destruction, only solution...

Sorry for being pessimistic, hope you get some rain soon up in the North :)

@ SC

Those chipping machines are not the solution, except for a little garden in the city, they are noisy, polluting, and they require labour and fuel.

• Like 2

Excellent post, VF, nothing much to add to that.

The sad reality is that the Planet is much more populated than 100 or 1000 yrs ago..It will get worse before it gets better...I remember a famous B. Marley song : ...Total destruction, only solution...

Sorry for being pessimistic, hope you get some rain soon up in the North smile.png

@ SC

Those chipping machines are not the solution, except for a little garden in the city, they are noisy, polluting, and they require labour and fuel.

Put your finger on the real reason- overpopulation, but of course nothing will be done about that till every inch of the planet is populated or cultivated.

Meanwhile, up in Lamphun, the police banned outside fires, so perhaps there is a glimmer of hope for the future.

Is it not laziness ? id say there is enough labor there but burning is the easy way out ? Please correct me if im wrong.

Yes, after the forest clearing, burning is the best and cheapest way to get rid of the cuttings..of course, do it extensively and we have an extensive air pollution ..

Btw, here on Koh Chang the sky is quite hazy too, i would not be surprised if it's depending from the fires in the North

Excellent post VF. Mirrors my thoughts and saved me the writing. We have similar village neighbours to you; they moan about each others fires but then go and light their own. In one instance next door went to the Police Box to complain but half an hour later the Policeman came and told them that he couldn't do anything because the fire was in the garden of 'a powerful man'. !

• Like 1

The low land areas all NEED water to farm properly. The landscape also needs to be burnt periodically to cut back on tinder dry duff that could cause catastrophic fires if not controled periodically. If they actually wanted to do something constructive the government could kill two birds with the same stone. Every year there are floods somewhere in Thailand. In 2005 and 2011 there was catastrophic flooding in Chiang Mai and all points south. The only way to control flooding is to have large, mature forests that will protect the environment. As that is not an option there could be high dikes built around all northern Thailand farm lands. Let the fields lay fallow and fill with water behind low dam/dikes. Once the rainy season was over the water could be released slowly. If the government paid the farmers NOT to grow rice and corn during the flood causing months of August and September then it would prevent the possibility of floods during the bad years. The wet, soggy vegetation would actually rot under water and provide humous to the soil.

Of course, that would take long range planning that Thailand as a whole is not very good at. They can't see beyond a meter in front of their body.

Excellent post VF.

In one instance next door went to the Police Box to complain but half an hour later the Policeman came and told them that he couldn't do anything because the fire was in the garden of 'a powerful man'. !

Yeah !! it's either "robblok" or this guy.

post-87530-0-37176800-1333349155.jpg biggrin.png

Excellent post VF.

In one instance next door went to the Police Box to complain but half an hour later the Policeman came and told them that he couldn't do anything because the fire was in the garden of 'a powerful man'. !

Sadly the real person is a skinny little runt who weighs about 45 kilo's !

• Like 1

What do they do in Scotland now, instead of burning the stubble and the heather?

I should ask Smokie, I suppose...

SC

Edit: I've never been involved in stubble-burning, but after the last time I got an open-razor shave in Bangkok, I'm sorely tempted to start. It was the roughest, scratchiest shave I've ever had...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Look at that, I've started a tidal wave of comments. Proud of myself I am :-)

@SC.....correct re the burning of the heather, there used to be bonfires just about every Summers night where I lived too, causing pollution and causing many an irate lady to have to bring in the washing from the rope and wash it again. The bonfires were banned in the late 70's if I remember.

At roughly the same time the UK switched from coal to gas central heating, and pollution dropped dramatically. I remember many a pea souper smog of acrid smoke when I was a boy. I bet there are a few other people that can remember that smell.

So it's not been that long since we in the UK uniformly belched out tons upon tons of pollution every day.

To the OP, I do reckon composting is the only answer, and the government will need to look at a subsidy scheme to encourage it. If the Thai farmers were getting a profit out of composting they would do it.

Excellent post VF.

Sadly the real person is a skinny little runt who weighs about 45 kilo's !

That guy is huge :P im no where near that big. Im not sure i want to either.. though id like have his bodyfat %

• Like 1

So while I was out taking care of burning issues, starting a blaze or two to help maintain air quality, you guys got active with your comments. I found the timely reminders of our own burning pasts interesting, along with the awareness there were far fewer people on the planet at that time.

With more and more of us wanting affordable food on the shelves, the providers will no doubt cut every corner they can to feed our hunger and their greed. In our modern era the pressure to provide in the short-term, often outweighs our desire to survive in the long-term. Anyway thanks for all the feedback.

• Like 1

So while I was out taking care of burning issues, starting a blaze or two to help maintain air quality, you guys got active with your comments. I found the timely reminders of our own burning pasts interesting, along with the awareness there were far fewer people on the planet at that time.

With more and more of us wanting affordable food on the shelves, the providers will no doubt cut every corner they can to feed our hunger and their greed. In our modern era the pressure to provide in the short-term, often outweighs our desire to survive in the long-term. Anyway thanks for all the feedback.

You got that right.. but to be honest most people want the same. The problem here is that the firebugs are bothering loads of people with their selfishness. They could do with less but decide to go for more and take the easy way.

I don't mind people wanting the most out of their lives as long as they don't bother others with it. Sometimes you just have to accept you can't have it all. I accept i cant have a big villa with a pool and some servants. biggrin.png

But seriously once you break the rules and really affect others with your action a point should be made by the police and government. Yes they are poor but that does not excuse them 100%. That is like saying poor people are allowed to steal because they have no money. Its ok if they steal a loaf of bread or some rice but once they start stealing luxury items its different. How much of this is to survive and how much is for the ease of it.

I looked at the satellite map and both Burma and Thailand are contributing to the smoke.....

Humans have been burning farmland for thousands of years after they discovered the benefits of burning off the old growth. It promotes crop growth by adding nutrients such as ash and acidifies the often base soils. It also renews depleated soil. It also gets rid of unwanted plant growth that competes with crops.

In spite of all our science and knowledge burning is still the best. The problem is that all the living creatures don't do well with breathing the smoke....it is definitely harmful to us.

I read in our weekly paper that the government (Bureau of Land Management) will have a prescribed burn next week in my area. One of the big advocates against smoke pollution is the government yet they burn. They want people to stop using our wood burning stoves because of the smoke yet they will burn thousands of acres of wildland. Typical government.

With all the really smart people around you would think they could figure a way to replicate the action of fire without the hazard of the smoke. Of course the cost would be high and farmers can't afford it. So it looks life we are stuck with the practice for a few more thousand years. Besides we enjoy the cheap cost of vegetables grown on these farms.

• Like 1

The low land areas all NEED water to farm properly. The landscape also needs to be burnt periodically to cut back on tinder dry duff that could cause catastrophic fires if not controled periodically. If they actually wanted to do something constructive the government could kill two birds with the same stone. Every year there are floods somewhere in Thailand. In 2005 and 2011 there was catastrophic flooding in Chiang Mai and all points south. The only way to control flooding is to have large, mature forests that will protect the environment. As that is not an option there could be high dikes built around all northern Thailand farm lands. Let the fields lay fallow and fill with water behind low dam/dikes. Once the rainy season was over the water could be released slowly. If the government paid the farmers NOT to grow rice and corn during the flood causing months of August and September then it would prevent the possibility of floods during the bad years. The wet, soggy vegetation would actually rot under water and provide humous to the soil.

Of course, that would take long range planning that Thailand as a whole is not very good at. They can't see beyond a meter in front of their body.

Quite a lot of the burning is hillside burning, it is pretty hard to submerge a hillside eh? And getting people to not grow rice in the wet season would be just as impossible.

Quite a lot of the burning is hillside burning, it is pretty hard to submerge a hillside eh? And getting people to not grow rice in the wet season would be just as impossible.

Yes, but a lot of that forest duff could be removed without burning. There is only one bad month when the water needs to be retained to prevent flooding further down the chain, and damming off the rice paddies WOULD work. In BC we have the same problem with excessive corn stalks. They are cut up and turned back into soil. What little burning that takes place is done during border months when it can done a little at a time.