Brown Rice Over White Rice

haveaniceday

"Brown rice over write rice?" - I'm assuming you mean white not write?!

Even though brown rice is considered to be 'the poor mans rice' I actually prefer it. I have seen studies on the internet which would suggest that brown rice is actually healthier for you than white rice and it contains more vitamins and fibre per gram.

I am actually due to get a rice cooker soon and I'll be looking to purchase brown rice over white for sure. :)

I am eating brown rice more than 30 years, never had a problem...Very important in a vegetarian diet, i tend to cook it quite soft ( 1 cup rice, 2.5 cups water ) so in don't have to chew for hours.

In Thailand the people disregard it, still you can find very good products, a bit more expensive than the best quality of white rice though.

I am eating brown rice more than 30 years, never had a problem...Very important in a vegetarian diet, i tend to cook it quite soft ( 1 cup rice, 2.5 cups water ) so in don't have to chew for hours.

In Thailand the people disregard it, still you can find very good products, a bit more expensive than the best quality of white rice though.

Most Thais I know call unhusked rice "prison rice" because thats what u get in the clink.

They have the red rice, which I find almost too fibery, however the one thats like halfway betweed brown and white rice is great.

White rice contributes to obesity and diabetes. Brown rice is health promoting. However, sorry, white rice tastes better with Thai food. To me, brown rice is good with "hippie" casseroles.

Correct.. but its hard to get brown rice if your eating in a restaurant. At home i never eat rice.. but if i had to it would either be the red or the brown rice.

The different varieties of brown, black and red rice are being promoted at the moment for their health benefits. They're even being marketed as a 'superfood'. White rice, on the other hand, is the new bogeyman, responsible for type 2 diabetes are other illnesses.

What we've found is white rice is likely to increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes, especially at high consumption levels such as in Asian populations,"

http://www.rappler.c...ion-to-diabetes

PARIS - Health researchers said on Thursday they had found a troubling link between higher consumption of rice and Type 2 diabetes, a disease that in some countries is becoming an epidemic.

Read more in the above link.

Win coffee1.gif

I prefer brown rice over white, more flavour, fibre and over all a healthier choice, just add more water than when cooking white rice, took a long time to convince my wife's son to mix red rice with his white rice, he wouldn't eat brown, says its too hard to eat.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Most Thais I know call unhusked rice "prison rice" because thats what u get in the clink.

They have the red rice, which I find almost too fibery, however the one thats like halfway betweed brown and white rice is great.

I read a while ago about a law that guarantees white rice inside the prison. Brown one seems to be too much cruel.

I prefer the taste and texture of white rice, but eat brown rice for health reasons. The only negative that I have heard about brown rice is concerning the concentrated syrup made from it that is used to sweeten health food deserts and such. It has some arsenic in it, but probably not enough to bother anyone.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I read a while ago about a law that guarantees white rice inside the prison. Brown one seems to be too much cruel.

Opps, I was thinking more like gruel. shock1.gif

Win cool.png

I am not aware of it generally being available as an option at restaurants. If it was, I would probably order it at least sometimes, but not for the taste. BTW, I LOVE broccoli!

I've seen brown or red rice in some foreigner's owned restaurant, i've also seen the disgusted face of some Thai customers when they see it in their plate..

Ok for the broccoli

There are a good number of decent restaurants serving brown rice - at least there is in Chiang Mai. That is the only kind of rice that I eat these days.

The Fuji Japanese restaurant chain carries it, but it is the fancy kind with added seeds and nuts.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hello ! From today cloudy Pattaya !

Why!

Brown Rice is no where avalible in Most of The Thai Restaurants? Also in Big Tourist Areas?

The argument it's to expensive I could believe , when the customer pays the bill!

Can someone explain the difference in production steps of brown and white rice ?

The indian restaurants have the best choice of rice basmati jasmin and in Siam paragon I see also blue rice?

Comes from nature or from plant?

As I understand the process difference between brown and white rice as explained by my wife who once grew rice, brown rice is only lightly milled to remove the outer hard husk, whereas white rice has been thoroughly milled leaving no husk at all this also removes the highly nutritious rice germ leaving a product low in nutrient and high in starch.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

As I understand the process difference between brown and white rice as explained by my wife who once grew rice, brown rice is only lightly milled to remove the outer hard husk, whereas white rice has been thoroughly milled leaving no husk at all this also removes the highly nutritious rice germ leaving a product low in nutrient and high in starch.

One problem in Thailand is that some restaurants sell white rice with little specks of brown as "brown rice" but most of the husk and germ have been polished off.

quinoa is much less glutenous than any rice. but if i must eat white rice, basmati is the preferred variety. there is also the black (non glutenous) rice or "forbidden rice". some markets carry it. my gf got her mom in ubon to get the non glutenous type.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

One problem in Thailand is that some restaurants sell white rice with little specks of brown as "brown rice" but most of the husk and germ have been polished off.

Are you sure those little specks aren't the ants?

• Like 1