How Much Have You Been Fined This Songkran?

karlos

Just curious to see how many of us got fined and the various amounts for similar.....err... crimes

I'll kick it off with my 1000Baht fine for the number plate of my Ninja 650 being located in the wrong place.......(up against the battery tray)

To be honest, i know the plate is in the wrong place and happy to accept the full fine for such an offence of 500Baht.

But these cheeky buggers were handing out photocopied tickets and then referring people to a 'senior' police officer who was sat at a table under a motorcycle taxi's shelter. He wrote down 1000, then told me to take the ticket back to the officer that told me to go and get a price from him. The original office, who i had returned to, then said pay here with me and i'll let you go for 500Baht....... Hmmmmm, No thanks mate! I'm not lining your pockets, i'd rather pay someone in the local police station the 1000baht that was written on the ticket instead of handing my money over to you mate (i thought to myself). He looked pretty shocked and disappointed that i would rather hand money to the police station instead of him :D

Little does he know my nextdoor neighbor is pretty high up at the exact same police station and i should get away with paying an administration charge of 100Baht ;)

zip

To be honest i must have gone past a dozen or more police check points today, cruising at a steady 30-40kmh and in the correct lane at all times (well the correct lane in their eyes). 11 or so of the check points let me pass, only when i was in the district of Prawet was i stopped and fined..... All of my fines have come from this district and i know what you think of the BIB in Prawet Tony, i'm starting to think along the same lines too

To be honest, i think its good that police is enforcing the correct (visible) mounting of number plates. A plate only makes sense if its visible. Hiding it is like driving without plate.

No fine so far, but seen many checkpoints.

To be honest, i think its good that police is enforcing the correct (visible) mounting of number plates. A plate only makes sense if its visible. Hiding it is like driving without plate.

I've think a good idea would be for the police to have new helmets for sale when they stop motorcyclist. Offer the offender the ability to buy a helmet instead of fining them 200 baht and letting them plod on down the road, STILL without a helmet! :S

As for my plate, it's hard to see if you are standing above the pillion’s seat, but from any distance greater that 2 meters it's just as easy to read as it was in it's original location, but hey I’m happy to pay the fine for the bike having a much cleaner line, just not happy to place my money in that individual’s pocket smile.png

Edited by karlos

I've think a good idea would be for the police to have new helmets for sale when they stop motorcyclist. Offer the offender the ability to buy a helmet instead of fining them 200 baht and letting them plod on down the road, STILL without a helmet! :S

As for my plate, it's hard to see if you are standing above the pillion’s seat, but from any distance greater that 2 meters it's just as easy to read as it was in it's original location, but hey I’m happy to pay the fine for the bike having a much cleaner line, just not happy to place my money in that individual’s pocket smile.png

If you do the crime you've gotta pay the fine. For an easier life just fit a tail tidy and Bob's yer Uncle. On the other hand, up to you as Uncle Somchai might sayjerk.gif

Although i live in prawet and notice the police check points mostly always set up in the same place day or night, For some strange reason they never seem to bother with me and just watch me ride through regardless of which lane i,m in,

The one time they did stop me one evening i was shocked that as i pulled my full face helmet off one of the guys knew me by my first name and just told me to go...i have no idea how he knows my name and dont remember ever seeing him beforeunsure.png

Another time on my way home a girl friend was riding in front of me and although she,s one of the few thais i know who bother to have a licence her bike had,nt been taxed or insured since years and wearing no helmet she rode right into the bandits where they stopped her, Being curious how this was going to pan out i stopped too, They took no notice of me...she just flashed them her government employee id card and she was on her way,

I find srinakarin towards ladprao one of the worst areas for gangs of bib standing around stealing money but i,m a hardliner...they are mostly happy when i ride away, In my 7 years of traveling with motocyc and car here never once have i handed money over but i have had 2 official fines,

I often get curious as to why so many thais buy new cars and pickups but never seem to bother getting a licence...asked a few and i either get a shrug of the shoulders with no answer or they say...too complicated.

Very sensible - but not rational. The object, from a BIB viewpoint is not to persuade people to wear helmets (fines rising to hurtful levels would achieve that). Perish the thought that they would have nothing to do all day and no money.

these days they like to earn some extra money drove into roadblock 2 times already where they pulling out bikes only seemed like a fruitfull day for them cause they fined EVERYBODY 200 baht no question asked. Once even on a unplated bike they didnt care just wanted the 200.....

the police were sneakily staged in the morning for two hours at a major intersection < 2km from the thung wua laen beach. none of the locals wear helmet for short distant travel, especially songran?

not sure if they will do this each morning, but you have to admire the ambition. TiT

ps: maybe the general forum is better category?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

Very sensible - but not rational. The object, from a BIB viewpoint is not to persuade people to wear helmets (fines rising to hurtful levels would achieve that). Perish the thought that they would have nothing to do all day and no money.

Indeed, but it's silly to fine someone and then just let them continue as they were 5 mins later causing the exact same offence.

Selling 100baht Big C helmets on the side of the road for 200 or 300 baht would still make them a nice little earner, but i guess they are greedy little buggers with no intentions of protecting the public or reinforcing the importance of helmets, easier to just take the money.

I wish i could be a police volunteer, i would set up a little road block and sell helmets for no profit at all during the time of Songkran :)

Indeed, but it's silly to fine someone and then just let them continue as they were 5 mins later causing the exact same offence.

Selling 100baht Big C helmets on the side of the road for 200 or 300 baht would still make them a nice little earner, but i guess they are greedy little buggers with no intentions of protecting the public or reinforcing the importance of helmets, easier to just take the money.

I wish i could be a police volunteer, i would set up a little road block and sell helmets for no profit at all during the time of Songkran smile.png

Ya know, I bet that could be quite a successful business.

Just add a small profit margin and create mobile distribution points that you can place in front of Brown Mafia shakedown points and you could do quite well.

Wonder how long it would be before you'd be "eliminated" for cutting in to the BiB's business... hit-the-fan.gif

The one time they did stop me one evening i was shocked that as i pulled my full face helmet off one of the guys knew me by my first name and just told me to go...i have no idea how he knows my name and dont remember ever seeing him beforeunsure.png

They obviously have much bigger plans for you in the future:-)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

'God dam thaivisa quotes'

Ya know, I bet that could be quite a successful business.

Just add a small profit margin and create mobile distribution points that you can place in front of Brown Mafia shakedown points and you could do quite well.

Wonder how long it would be before you'd be "eliminated" for cutting in to the BiB's business...

'God dam thaivisa quotes'

'Business' you hit the nail on the head there Mr T.

The BIB really can't say too much about it really, their job is to uphold the law and such a stall would be allowing road users to abide by those laws, no difference to having a police check point set up just after a motorcycle accessory shop.

But this is Thailand and i'm sure most of the police are in it for the money and have very little concern for the public’s safety, so such a stall would almost certainly come under heavy fire, quite literally from the looks of the latest incident in Prawet's district.

Back home in England the police would prosecute individuals for warning other motorists of a police speed trap (interfering with police business). The police insist they only set up speed traps on dangerous sections of roads or high risk areas (such as schools) and that's all fine with me :)

But why would they prosecute an individual for telling another motorist to slow down before passing through one of these 'high risk check points' sending a warning to other motorists would only be helping the police to slow those motorists down and to assist in making such an area safer for the public... The same can be said for selling helmets to local Thais before Thai check points.

They obviously have much bigger plans for you in the future:-)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I'd be seriously concerned about that :S

Sound like a good idea, but wouldn't be very effective i guess. Everyone has already a helmet at home.

I am sure police is happy too if they can make you happy again next week :)

Just got back from Bang Saen's Songkran Festival and not a single problem from any of the police officers there or any of the other districts i passed through over the 200km i did this afternoon.

The bike was a bit of a mess, as to be expected biggrin.png

post-59428-0-26505300-1334404438_thumb.j

post-59428-0-95208100-1334404449_thumb.j

post-59428-0-12951800-1334404461_thumb.j

All cleaned and ready for day 3 near the border of Cambodia tomorrow :)

Just got back from Bang Saen's Songkran Festival and not a single problem from any of the police officers there or any of the other districts i passed through over the 200km i did this afternoon.

All cleaned and ready for day 3 near the border of Cambodia tomorrow smile.png

Good stuff! You are brave to be out and about on two wheels during the crazy holiday. I prefer to enjoy it from the relative safety of my car. Party on! intheclub.gif

All cleaned and ready for day 3 near the border of Cambodia tomorrow smile.png

Good stuff! You are brave to be out and about on two wheels during the crazy holiday. I prefer to enjoy it from the relative safety of my car. Party on! intheclub.gif

With a low speed, care and caution i should get by.... Of course i can't predict the movements of other idiots, the most i can do is distance myself and observe.

A 6am departure tomorrow morning will ensure i don't get caught by the mob before crossing the border :D

0 Baht. Why should it be any different because Songkran?

My area of Ladkrabang and Prawet has seen huges amounts of BIB, most ensuring all are wearing helmets :) While on the other hand the Prawet boys seem to be making roadside shacks just about anywhere and collecting money like it's going out of fashion, avoid the areas of Prawet & Suang Luang :)

Spent Songkarn in Phuket with the cbr400rr which feels very lame now compared to the FZ1. Have to say I was very impressed.. we stayed at quiet side Rawai ( I have a loathing for Patong) and spent allot of time at Ya Nui beach.... what impressed me however was that Songkran water throwing was only one day.. Saturday... parked the bike on this day and got a scooter and just trundled along.. why oh why do they have to add ice to the water....

Next day apart from some Russian cave bears with water pistols none I repeat none of the locals were throwing water in fact on the Saturday evening in Rawai we saw clean up crews picking up all the big black water buckets that had been used that day...

But back to the topic... went through two roadblocks on the bike and got waved in each time.. responded with my customary wave back and just kept on going.... even had one officer run out onto road waving his paper pad.. I just merrily waved back.. one should be polite about this so 0 Baht donated to the tea fund.

A few observations and yes totally irrelevant to OP's question

1) Ate pretty much in restaurants around Rawai/ Nai harn.. food is soooo much better there than kata / karon area.. unfortunately same could not be said about some of the tourists behaviour.. one Russian cave bear.. I suspect only a few DNA strands away from Neanderthal decided to beat up his gf in bar.. not a pretty sight.....

2) Dropped in on the Harley shop or whatever it is on road from Karon to Putong.. just down the last big hill before you come to Sodom..... what is it with the australian lady in the shop there..... take your shoes off, shut the door, I'll hang that jacket back.. its my shop.... real snarly persnickitey type... felt like explaining politely that we are not married...

Ive been in there a few times before and its the same each time... only worse this time.

Mind you they did have some perforated dianese jackets at good prices.... some great Japanese brand jackets as well only trouble for allot of us.. Japanese 3X is still but too small..

what is it about Japanese sizes.. are they trying to make themselves feel better.... imagine the underwear store.. here we are sir.. from the looks of what your packing ....its the GIGANTOR range of briefs for you.

Anyway back to OP intent.. Zero/ Zilch/ Dinada/0 Baht for SongKran...

In Jakarat now and bored to tears.. can you tell.

Ride safe.. ride often