I Seem To Have Little Tolerance For Alcohol Now.

giddyup

I recognize the OP's situation, being only a year or two behind him. But I think at least part of the problem is the gassed-up chemical stuff that passes for beer in this part of the world. I, too, feel a bit off after a session of 6 or so tins or small bottles here, but am looking forward in a couple of weeks time to supping two or three pints (the equivalent volume) of real English bitter and feeling fine afterwards. Of course, it's not quite the equivalent volume of alcohol, as most of the fizz here is 5%, while I usually look for a bitter around 4%.

Maybe I should try Samsong and a mix instead of beer. Never put it down to the beer because I'm not fussy about which brand I drink. I've tried them all, Leo, Chang, Heineken, Singa etc, they all have the same effect, ie make me feel seedy.

I would say they're all crap, but that is missing your point that some of us entering wrinkly-hood seem to have a diminishing capacity for sticking away large quantities of liquid. I also like to hit the whisky (Scotch and Irish) occasionally, but it's rather expensive and I don't like mixing anything with it except perhaps a bit of water. One alternative tipple for me is Pastis, taken the way the French do - a double-whisky-size measure in a half-pint tumbler, lump of ice, top up with fridge-cold water. I've never tried asking for it in a bar, but I keep a bottle at home and it is a very refreshing alternative to beer. I've seen the best-known brand, Ricard, in Tesco Rayong, but I found another in Foodland Pattaya called 'Colin' at about 550baht/litre, and it's fine. I feel I've had enough after one glass, so no ill after-effects.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When exactly is the age cutoff for girlfiend?

Maybe the word girl in girlfriend or boy in boyfriend should give you a clue. smile.png

I thought the word (actually two) girlfriend or boyfriend wasn't actually age specific. Please let me know when the cutoff age is so I'll know in future. I hear 20 somethings referring to their boyfriends and I hear 40 somethings referring to girlfriends, so when is it exactly, 50, 60, 69? According to the dictionary girl is any young umarried woman, Guess what? That's what my girlfiend is.

Edited by giddyup

Try spirits instead. Whatever tipple takes your fancy. You might enjoy it more smile.png

Unfortunately, I think my condition is alcohol related so it doesn't really matter what form it comes in, beer, spirits, wine etc.

I don't drink anymore either. Just not worth the miserable hangover the next day. Add to that I need about 5-10 beers just to get tipsy these days. It's just not worth it.

Op try drinking Whisky the way Thais drink it, drown it with Soda water whatever............my 67 yo father has a poor tolerance for drink, and when he drinks he can go OTT. When I took him to Thailand last year it was a concern before I left the UK and I talked to my sisters about it, on the aircraft on the way over he overdid it, with a relatively small amount of alcohol.

Once I got him into company with the Thais he took to drinking Red Label, tall glass, plenty of ice and plenty of water. His glass was never empty throughout the night and he had some wonderful evenings, always on top form, and was able to walk out of the bar with no dramas or rubber man performances.

I get the idea that you are a very sociable man, you don't want to end up sitting there supping coca cola, you want to be able to have a drink with friends without worrying how your going to feel the next day, so that's my recommendation. I also appreciate the Thai way of leaving your bottle behind the bar, very civilized. In your own case you would probably get three of four nights out of one bottle, that would make it a highly affordable night out too.

If you can't, and the problem is coming via the digestive process, some people find alcohol enemas give fewer side effects.

I don't think he'd be very popular at any bars that he goes to...

Edited by endure
  • Like 1

jacnl2000 Care to expand on "odd"?

...Placing of the capital C noted...

(...rephrase...)

Mr. Giddyup, I'm quite willing out of respect for the elderly to elaborate the coined term "odd" as a little jump from memory ("ot and sien" to be precize) to the present here with a small twist of ink.

jacnl2000 Care to expand on "odd"?

...Placing of the capital C noted...

(...rephrase...)

Mr. Giddyup, I'm quite willing out of respect for the elderly to elaborate the coined term "odd" as a little jump from memory ("ot and sien" to be precize) to the present here with a small twist of ink.

Are you off your medication or just a member of the Raving Loonies Party?

Op try drinking Whisky the way Thais drink it, drown it with Soda water whatever............my 67 yo father has a poor tolerance for drink, and when he drinks he can go OTT. When I took him to Thailand last year it was a concern before I left the UK and I talked to my sisters about it, on the aircraft on the way over he overdid it, with a relatively small amount of alcohol.

Once I got him into company with the Thais he took to drinking Red Label, tall glass, plenty of ice and plenty of water. His glass was never empty throughout the night and he had some wonderful evenings, always on top form, and was able to walk out of the bar with no dramas or rubber man performances.

I get the idea that you are a very sociable man, you don't want to end up sitting there supping coca cola, you want to be able to have a drink with friends without worrying how your going to feel the next day, so that's my recommendation. I also appreciate the Thai way of leaving your bottle behind the bar, very civilized. In your own case you would probably get three of four nights out of one bottle, that would make it a highly affordable night out too.

Thanks for the advice, it's worth a try.

first of all, cease and desist the flames regarding age and gf terminology -- you know who you are angry.png

It is understood that the term girlfriend is often used for female partners of any age. And it is not in any way relevant to this thread how old his partner is.

OP: please keep in mind that alcohol is a poison. In large enough doses, it causes immediate death. Even in small doses, it's a toxic substance that your liver has to work to detoxify. (Yes I know that there are health benefits to red wine...but it's not from the alcohol content, in fact grape juice will provide the same). This takes its toll especially if imbibing is a daily practice.. As you age, the body's ability to handle this type of punishment naturally decreases.

Simply put, you need to accept what your body is telling you and if anything be grateful it is giving you these warnings. Some of those people who you envy for still being able to put away lots of booze despite being old wake up one day to find they have cirrhosis without having had any hint beforehand. You are actually lucky that your body is letting you know in advance.

Either stop drinking or greatly reduce the amounts down to what you can tolerate. As your favorite beverage seems to be beer, one tip that may help is to try cutting it with soda water. Thai beers are stronger than many western beers (and are also rumored to contain some extra toxins, not sure if any truth in that). You can convert them into something pretty similiar to a western "lite" beer with by adding the right amount of soda. not only will this allow you to consume the same amount of alcohol in a greater volume of drink but it will also help decrease the dehydrating effect.

I would also suggest you make a point of having several full glasses of plain water after you get home, and perhaps add a daily Vitamin B Complex supplement.

first of all, cease and desist the flames regarding age and gf terminology -- you know who you are angry.png

It is understood that the term girlfriend is often used for female partners of any age. And it is not in any way relevant to this thread how old his partner is.

OP: please keep in mind that alcohol is a poison. In large enough doses, it causes immediate death. Even in small doses, it's a toxic substance that your liver has to work to detoxify. (Yes I know that there are health benefits to red wine...but it's not from the alcohol content, in fact grape juice will provide the same). This takes its toll especially if imbibing is a daily practice.. As you age, the body's ability to handle this type of punishment naturally decreases.

Simply put, you need to accept what your body is telling you and if anything be grateful it is giving you these warnings. Some of those people who you envy for still being able to put away lots of booze despite being old wake up one day to find they have cirrhosis without having had any hint beforehand. You are actually lucky that your body is letting you know in advance.

Either stop drinking or greatly reduce the amounts down to what you can tolerate. As your favorite beverage seems to be beer, one tip that may help is to try cutting it with soda water. Thai beers are stronger than many western beers (and are also rumored to contain some extra toxins, not sure if any truth in that). You can convert them into something pretty similiar to a western "lite" beer with by adding the right amount of soda. not only will this allow you to consume the same amount of alcohol in a greater volume of drink but it will also help decrease the dehydrating effect.

I would also suggest you make a point of having several full glasses of plain water after you get home, and perhaps add a daily Vitamin B Complex supplement.

Thankyou for a sensible informative response and adressing the ridiculous comments re girlfriend. I do keep a bottle of red wine in the fridge for the odd tipple, but will as you suggest try grape juice instead. I already take a daily B complex along with fish oil and vitamin C. As to having several full glasses of water, makes sense but I'm already up two or three times a night for a wizz, so I'll have to give that one a miss.

I find myself having the same problem as the OP. All of a sudden my tolerance has gone out of the window. Feel sick day after having only 3 pints, restless sleep, and also sleep drunk walking if I've drunk too much..all this never used to be a problem and saying all this I'm only 30 now and going back 3 years I could quite happily get the 'drunk buzz' but now I find it never comes. I'm sure its a chemical in balance in the body which makes your system intolerable to alcohol so I'm planning on heading to the doctors for blood tests next week.

Also a friend of mine recommended doing a colma board treatment to clear the stomach of all parasites so might give that a go too.

I'm amazed that no one has suggested that the OP should get a liver panel done. If you cannot tolerate alcohol it's very likely you're liver is starting to show signs of alcohol abuse.

As Sheryl said, it's a poison that you're liver must breakdown and eliminate.

As a drinker you need to get GGT checked too, which is not usually included in the standard bundle of liver tests because it costs a bit more.

Check GGT, AST, ALT, bilirubin (total and direct), ALP, total protein, Albumin and Globulin.

I wouldn't hurt to get Kidney function tested while you're at it.

Good luck.

Edited by tropo

I'm amazed that no one has suggested that the OP should get a liver panel done. If you cannot tolerate alcohol it's very likely you're liver is starting to show signs of alcohol abuse.

As Sheryl said, it's a poison that you're liver must breakdown and eliminate.

As a drinker you need to get GGT checked too, which is not usually included in the standard bundle of liver tests because it costs a bit more.

Check GGT, AST, ALT, bilirubin (total and direct), ALP, total protein, Albumin and Globulin.

I wouldn't hurt to get Kidney function tested while you're at it.

Good luck.

In my post number 12 I suggested that loss of tolerance to alcohol is caused by your liver going to hell. Most of the comments have just been nervously joking avoidances of the truth: time to stop.

In my post number 12 I suggested that loss of tolerance to alcohol is caused by your liver going to hell. Most of the comments have just been nervously joking avoidances of the truth: time to stop.

Yes, I did note your comment.

If was the OP I'd be praying that I'm not developing cirrhosis of the liver. That would be a horrific way to go. An ultrasound examination of the liver could be another wise investment at this stage.

Could just be age, but not necessarily. From experience alcohol tolerance varies with regularity, quite dramatically. Also as someone said you are drinking crap franken-beer which is also very strong. It's hot in Thailand too, and dehydration is a big factor. Make sure you don't have any gastric issues, even a bit of over acidity ruins it for me. And I agree with a previous poster, the best course of action is to make sure you feel A1 on the day, eat a big meal, drink plenty of water before starting, drink slower ,and have water breaks after each beer. This way you may fin 5 or 6 is easily possible.

Yes, I did note your comment.

If was the OP I'd be praying that I'm not developing cirrhosis of the liver. That would be a horrific way to go. An ultrasound examination of the liver could be another wise investment at this stage.

I think it is a bit of a myth that about alcohol intolerance and the liver. Of course when the liver is severely compromised there is alcohol intolerance, but otherwise people that get sick easily are pumping out a lot of enzymes that convert the alcohol in to toxic ethanol. as we damage the liver through alcohol, the enzymes decrease I think, you assume it's because you are getting stronger but in fact the opposite is true, liver function is compromised I think. Certainly, when I'm fit I handle much less alcohol, although in truth can't handle anything on the industrial scale often touted on these boards.

I think it is a bit of a myth that about alcohol intolerance and the liver. Of course when the liver is severely compromised there is alcohol intolerance, but otherwise people that get sick easily are pumping out a lot of enzymes that convert the alcohol in to toxic ethanol. as we damage the liver through alcohol, the enzymes decrease I think, you assume it's because you are getting stronger but in fact the opposite is true, liver function is compromised I think. Certainly, when I'm fit I handle much less alcohol, although in truth can't handle anything on the industrial scale often touted on these boards.

It doesn't matter much whether you think it's a myth or not, a person who has been drinking heavily who is 70 years old needs to get it tested to find out for sure. Perhaps drinkers don't really want to know what's going on with the liver and prefer to stick their heads in the sand hoping the worst will never happen to them.

Getting a liver function test is a good idea but your liver can well be compromised long before anything shows up on a blood test and when it does show up on a blood test it inevitably means things are pretty bad.

Getting a liver function test is a good idea but your liver can well be compromised long before anything shows up on a blood test and when it does show up on a blood test it inevitably means things are pretty bad.

I disagree. Liver function tests start to go bad long before physical damage shows up.

It doesn't matter much whether you think it's a myth or not, a person who has been drinking heavily who is 70 years old needs to get it tested to find out for sure. Perhaps drinkers don't really want to know what's going on with the liver and prefer to stick their heads in the sand hoping the worst will never happen to them.

As I've said earlier, I've never been a heavy drinker, or regular drinker for that matter. Sure, I've had some big sessions from time to time, who hasn't? I've also just had a full blood test, the liver is fine AFAIK. Only one thing to do and that's have a max. of two beers then switch to soda water ot orange juice. If alcohol is now disagreeing with me, my body is telling me STOP drinking, end of story.

As I've said earlier, I've never been a heavy drinker, or regular drinker for that matter. Sure, I've had some big sessions from time to time, who hasn't? I've also just had a full blood test, the liver is fine AFAIK. Only one thing to do and that's have a max. of two beers then switch to soda water ot orange juice. If alcohol is now disagreeing with me, my body is telling me STOP drinking, end of story.

It depends on your point of view.

You say "my body is telling me to STOP drinking, end of story". It could also be said that something is not working right and the reason should be investigated while there's still time.

You say you've had a full blood test and the liver is fine AFAIK. Did you examine the results or just rely on your doctors word that everything is ok?

Doctor's will often give the green light if readings are at the high end of normal or just over. They don't want to unduly alarm people by saying negative things about results that are just a "little bit over". This is common with diabetes. It's also common with liver test values. For example, AST and ALT readings double normal are usually considered OK and not cause for concern. 6.2% HbA1c is considered normal by my lab here in Thailand, but in reality it's a pretty bad reading for a "healthy" person.

You say "my body is telling me to STOP drinking, end of story". It could also be said that something is not working right and the reason should be investigated while there's still time.

You say you've had a full blood test and the liver is fine AFAIK. Did you examine the results or just rely on your doctors word that everything is ok?

Doctor's will often give the green light if readings are at the high end of normal or just over. They don't want to unduly alarm people by saying negative things about results that are just a "little bit over". This is common with diabetes. It's also common with liver test values. For example, AST and ALT readings double normal are usually considered OK and not cause for concern. 6.2% HbA1c is considered normal by my lab here in Thailand, but in reality it's a pretty bad reading for a "healthy" person.

AST reading was 27 and ALT was 12.

Good!

Now how about the rest of your liver tests? Bilirubin, ALP, GGT, total protein, albumin and globulin?

Good!

Now how about the rest of your liver tests? Bilirubin, ALP, GGT, total protein, albumin and globulin?

Nitrite, Protein, Glucose,Ketone,Urobilinogen,Bilirubin, Leukosytes. All negative.

Nitrite, Protein, Glucose,Ketone,Urobilinogen,Bilirubin, Leukosytes. All negative.

Negative Glucose? Negative Bilirubin? Negative Protein?

What do you mean by.... "all negative".

Do you mean all within normal range?

Edited by tropo

I guess that's what it means. That's all it says on the printout I got.

I guess that's what it means. That's all it says on the printout I got.

OK, let's hope so. I get liver function and other tests done once or twice a year and interpret the results myself and I'm a non-drinker. It's not a bad idea to learn about this stuff and keep an eye on it yourself. It can be a lot cheaper to do learn about this stuff and do yourself.

I had a problem with my liver 7 years ago and went through hell. Even a healthy liver can be sensitive to some common drugs.

I would still recommend an ultrasound. They're not expensive.