Manchester United

redrus

13 minutes ago, jellydog said:

I think this is the real post Ferguson era for United. Winning the league not that important as long as they have CL every year, and Woodward sells shirts and other merchandise.

Given Mourinho's judge of talent the past few years, it would be a surprise if Lukaku was all he was expected to be.

I really don't think it is that bleak.  It certainly shouldn't be with the strongest United squad i can remember for a long time.  Its well documented where i think the problem is.  I find the contract extension  a peculiar decision.  Especially as United look like they are really going to struggle for top four despite their current position.

Upstairs you're always going to miss a guy with the business acumen of David Gill.  It doesn't help that Woodward looks fairly lacking, but Gill did an exceptional job.  

1 hour ago, carmine said:

I tend to agree with you about Lukaku.  He really is a flat track bully.  Always seems to come up short against the better defenses, all his goals coming against lower league opposition.  

Its such a shame seeing Rashford so wasted.  With Mourinho bizarrely getting a contract extension he would be better advised to make for the exit door.

Maureen buying Lukaku after getting rid is bizarre and he looks like he is now reducing Pogbas talent/value each match. The same lad that was bossing Juve 2 years ago ?

8 hours ago, smedly said:

Still team building, my only criticism is that Lukaku was a panic buy and is not anywhere near the class of a top EPL (top four) striker and the rest of the team knows it...................he shouldn't be there, that has an overall effect on moral and the rest of the team (yes it's a team game) - he don't fit and is nowhere good enough, lets see how much anyone is willing to pay for him in the summer, I suspect very little

I'd like to see Martial be given a chance to play no. 9 more, if only to give Lukaku a kick up the backside. 

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"McTominay / Carrick should have played alongside Matic, with Pogba further up"

Why always play 2 defensive midfielders and 1 offensive midfielder and not the other way around - you were only playing Newcastle.

Only 1 DM works better at home when teams sit back. 

Will be a joy to watch Bailly if he comes back tonight. Hopefully partnered with Rojo or Jones. I'd like to see Carrick play as well, but with him retiring soon, not sure how much point there is giving him opportunities?

With Sevilla away being midweek, he might play a weak team with Chelsea next weekend also in mind. But having said that they have had a week's rest. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, StevieH said:

the portuguese pulis strikes again. 

What are the chances Pogba will be at United next season ? Why would any young striker, a la Rashford, want to waste part of his career playing for 0-0 Mourinho ?

There was a time when Mourinho was a good manager, pre-Madrid. 

Now he seems to ruin talent or at least regress, or suppress talent, play horrible football, always moan about not having enough money or players, being spiteful towards other managers, and making everything about him. Definitely lost his mojo.

Can't recall seeing a game with:

1. So many squandered chances (by Sevilla). They should have won that by at least 3 goals. Great at getting into position for goal and absolute $hite in finishing.
  2. Such an appallingly inconsistent referee. Luckily not much of his pathetic craft was in controversial situations and even the players eventually got tired of exploiting stuff they could get away with.

The commentators seemed to think it was a more watchable game than I thought it was! That weary-willy Guy (somebody) support commentator is pretty tiresome [moan moan "what's he thinking of?" moan moan "that's not the way you do it"! moan moan], which doesn't help my neutral enjoyment.

Good to see hired-gun rat-$hit roadrunner plays no better then he did for Arsenal this season, now he's achieved his dreamed-for place of dotage. [It's traditional to make such comments on here about departed stars isn't it?:smile:]

I wish better football on United for the remainder of the CL - would like to see a semi-final full of English teams.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Can't recall seeing a game with:

1. So many squandered chances (by Sevilla). They should have won that by at least 3 goals. Great at getting into position for goal and absolute $hite in finishing.
  2. Such an appallingly inconsistent referee. Luckily not much of his pathetic craft was in controversial situations and even the players eventually got tired of exploiting stuff they could get away with.

The commentators seemed to think it was a more watchable game than I thought it was! That weary-willy Guy (somebody) support commentator is pretty tiresome [moan moan "what's he thinking of?" moan moan "that's not the way you do it"! moan moan], which doesn't help my neutral enjoyment.

Good to see hired-gun rat-$hit roadrunner plays no better then he did for Arsenal this season, now he's achieved his dreamed-for place of dotage. [It's traditional to make such comments on here about departed stars isn't it?:smile:]

I wish better football on United for the remainder of the CL - would like to see a semi-final full of English teams.

I'm watching now and it's 'miserable Gary Birtles', my least favourite pundit - does nothing but whinge!

5 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Are you talking about Bein Sports? Who was that co-commentator? I agree he was annoyingly moany. He was saying he played under Brian Clough so must be pretty famous ex player.

Edit - just seen the post above. 

Edited by RickG16

5 hours ago, balo said:

Sir Alex must be wondering what Mourinho is is up to. Only one shot on target , and Sevilla should have won by 2-3 goals if it wasn't for De Gea.

But in some ways that is a classic European away performance in the knockout stage. Fergie's sides certainly ground out a few important draws away from home when they had to. 

Got to remember we haven't got the likes of Vidic and Rio anymore, and our best CB isn't playing.

10 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Are you talking about Bein Sports? Who was that co-commentator? I agree he was annoyingly moany. He was saying he played under Brian Clough so must be pretty famous ex player.

Edit - just seen the post above. 

I don't know who that co-commentator was but he was brutal. I can't recall ever hearing him before.

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

What do you reds reckon to McTominay? Is he good enough to establish himself as a Premier player? Read he's highly rated by Rednose and Maureen.

I hope he is the next Paul Scholes.

And bloody ell Alex McLeish get him on the pitch quick!! :shock1:

Interesting to see if he holds off and waits for an England cap. Says on Wikipedia he has Scottish ancestry and wants to play for them, but maybe that was before he got this run in the first team.

He won't be another Scholes, but if he can come close to Carrick will be nice. At the moment he is a hard working, solid, tactically astute player who is what we needed at this stage in the season. Good chance he will play against Chelsea with Herrera out. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Cracking atmosphere ?

It makes me cringe even watching it. I remember being at OT not so long ago and sitting not that far from the Stretford End. It was only me and a couple of Irish guys in our block that were joining in the singing. We got some funny looks so in the end I gave up. 

The noise did seem to pick up in the 2nd half, especially when Lukaku went on that run. 

17 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It makes me cringe even watching it. I remember being at OT not so long ago and sitting not that far from the Stretford End. It was only me and a couple of Irish guys in our block that were joining in the singing. We got some funny looks so in the end I gave up. 

The noise did seem to pick up in the 2nd half, especially when Lukaku went on that run. 

I haven't watch United too much at OT this season, but I was amazed. You'd think a top 4 clash with 2 heavy weights of the EPL, with plenty of needle between the managers would inspire some noise. It got going in the 80 odd minute I thought. 

Maybe it's because City are long gone....or maybe its just the way football is going. Anfield has a tendency to create fear and tension when we are winning by too many goals ?, still manage a bit of noise and song though, but the new Main Stand has had an effect in toning things down a bit.