Australian Stabbed In Heart In Thai Bag-Snatch Tragedy

webfact

"The 10 delegates were on a familiarization trip, so that they could accurately assess how to recommend Phuket as a travel destination to potential tourists looking to book a holiday."

I'm sure the recommendations will come highly, as even for a Thai experienced expat of nearly 7 years I wouldn't bother with Phuket, nor Pattaya, after my knowledge and experiences of travelling there.

Let's hope the bastards are found before they jump on a raft!

-mel.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose now as visitors in this country we will be instructed to just give our wallets or hangbags or necklaces to the motor bike thieves.

This is actually the best practice if you value your health. This case is a prime example of this rule as the result of the Aussie lady resisting the thugs was to be stabbed to death.

• Like 1

'Col Sirisak admitted that police were under considerable pressure to catch the killer. “We will try to arrest these two men as soon as possible since the incident directly affects Phuket’s tourism,” he said.'

No Colonel Sirisak, you should first and foremost try to arrest the two men as soon as possible because they took the life of an innocent person. Sod your tourism.

And that was my point also, he is openly saying it is the tourist dollar driving the investigation and not the crime committed.

• Like 1

At first RIP to the unfortunate person who had to die in such a senseless and cruel way. As a strong believer of what goes around comes around, I am sure that the culprit will receive his fair punishment. Sincerest condolences to the family.

Well, this is exactly what Thailand needs right now - more bad publicity! Just as a sea gypsie or fisherman on the edge can't fathom the impact it has not only on a reef, but the world as a whole, these (most likley Yah Baa addicted) idiots won't understand that at some point there might be no tourists at all coming anymore to Thailand to be robbed. The Phi Phi story with the two girls was another hit in the face for tourism in Thailand. God knows what happened there... While such stories are just "another day at the office in western countries", they have more weight, when the origin of the crime is a tourist hot spot. Thus one should not underestimate the negative impact if such stories pile up on a weekly - or worse - daily basis. I just remember the time when Railey Beach was called the "Beach of the Dead Girls" many years ago after a series of murders of young foreign girls rocked Krabi. Tourist numbers were declining at an alarming rate back then.

I believe these two sentences say it all and show what a massive negative impact this one, single incident already has made: Quote Gazette - Meanwhile, attack survivor Ms Lynn and the delegation of other travel agents she and Ms Smith were travelling with flew back to Australia today. The 10 delegates were on a familiarization trip, so that they could accurately assess how to recommend Phuket as a travel destination to potential tourists looking to book a holiday. - End of Gazette quote

Talking about declining... Is anyone out there with me when I say (please note that I am not a big Thaksin fan, but...) that Thailand is on a slow, permanent decline as a whole since Thaksin was ousted?

what is needed is for everyone concerned to pass thsi news around backhome to your local media and community so that more and more decent people will stop coming to places like Krabi, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiangmai etc. The rest who come will have to bear whatever risks they want and should not balme anyone.

'Col Sirisak admitted that police were under considerable pressure to catch the killer. “We will try to arrest these two men as soon as possible since the incident directly affects Phuket’s tourism,” he said.'

No Colonel Sirisak, you should first and foremost try to arrest the two men as soon as possible because they took the life of an innocent person. Sod your tourism.

And that was my point also, he is openly saying it is the tourist dollar driving the investigation and not the crime committed.

Hope his comments and an explanation of it in case they miss it in their grief...is sent to the Joombalup ? RAC for all to see the real Land Of Smiles...and they pass it on to all their travel colleagues via email.

Col Sirisak admitted that police were under considerable pressure to catch the killer. “We will try to arrest these two men as soon as possible since the incident directly affects Phuket’s tourism,” he said.

Im lost for words, what could I possibly add thats more than likely on everyones minds, they just havnt a clue

Col Sirisak admitted that police were under considerable pressure to catch the killer. “We will try to arrest these two men as soon as possible since the incident directly affects Phuket’s tourism,” he said.

Im lost for words, what could I possibly add thats more than likely on everyones minds, they just havnt a clue

Confucius say : Thai open mouth, foot follow.

It proves that it is the baht that they are more concerned about. He certainly didn't engage the brain before opening the mouth. Quite insensitive I think and a man in his position should be thinking about the loss of human life before being concerned about the next hotel booking.

Time for tough measures. The people that did this need to be hanged. Thailand needs to draw a line in the sand. Life in prison for the raft operators who killed the tourists 2 weeks ago.

Ermm....what do you know that we don't? ermm.gif

its time to stop the corny remarks about the police force .... its no longer a joke .....i cannot understand why a country such as australia does not slap a travel ban on this place immediately

Because Australia is a free country and allows it citizens to take informed risk like overseas travel. Give me bag snatchers over totalitarians like you any day.

• Like 1

Firstly, It wasn't the police that stabbed this poor lady

Secondly, We all know that Thais will give literal answers to questions they are asked, so the Police Chief saying that he has to catch the people responsible as it's bad for the tourist business is saying a literal truth

Thirdly, I'll take it all those who are jumping on the dangerous Thailand bandwagon are now contacting their airlines and heading for home?

Fourthly, I'll take it when you get home you are going to find a crime free country?

and finally, RIP to Ms Smith, it's so tragic to see a good life snuffed out by such casual brutality.

• Like 1

Stop all the hand wringing and requests for action.

The simple fact is that, here in Thailand, nobody cares.

The cops don't care, the government doesn't care, the Phuket council doesn't care - nobody cares what happens to non Thais in Thailand - simple as that.

It's completely proven by the shoddy half arsed responses to these calamities, or the prevention of such calamities in the future

Complete and utter <deleted>.

It might be hard for you to stomach Nomad Joe, but it seems to me the undeniable cause of all these tragedy's. Nobody cares enough to address the shortcomings and dangers of these events occurring that can be readily improved. Everybody (Thais) knows what's wrong but nothing gets done other than a small brouhaha at the time.

I'll say it again - Thai authorities don't care about non Thais.

You may have some Thai close to you that care about you, but the people running this Island and the police force smply don't really care about these incidents or the victimes, and the proof is the next such incident in 2 month's time and the 200 that preceded this incident over the last 20 years.

It's not complete utter <deleted> - this country, in the main, doesn't give a toss about you Nomad Joe, or your ilk

therefore asking or expecting them to address these matters is a pretty spurious exercise.

A better exercise is to exercise caution and build a network of Thais around you that DO care about you - now that's achievable

You have got to be kidding. You are suggesting that the police, and "this country" care less about foreigners than Thais. The murder of a foreigner makes headline news across the nation, police mobilize immediately, "50 police officers, including a team from the Crime Suppression Division in Bangkok, have been dedicated to catching the two men who attacked Australian tourist Michelle Smith" police hold a press conference, announce they have suspects etc. The murder of a local Thai on the other hand, gets hardly any play and a fraction of the police attention.

Complain about corruption and the general low standards of policing in this country, but don't turn this into some imagined conspiracy by Thailand against me and "my ilk." Don't be so naive to think that the common Thai doesn't suffers under the same inefficient, corrupt, inept system same as we do. and for those unconnected and non Hi-So Thais, even more so.

Edited by NomadJoe

What possible threat does a 60 year old woman pose? Murdered just for the hell of it.

She posed no threat, it was a robbery gone wrong. They tried to steal her bag, she resisted. The robber fought her off with a knife when she resisted his attempts to steal her bag!

The robber fought her off, are you serious? He was the attacker and she was the victim.

Also, I have seen twice now this term "robbery gone wrong" and even one headline read "bag snatch gone wrong." Is there such a thing as a "robbery gone right."? The term used here implies so.

Now is probably a good time to remind people that the general advise given when confronted by an armed robber, or when outnumbered by robbers, is to not resist. What ever they want it's not worth your life. In no way blaming the victims, but it has been reported that they fought back which was the wrong thing to do and it may have cost this lady her life. A rapist, on the other hand, you should fight, yell, scream with every ounce of your being.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

Stop all the hand wringing and requests for action.

The simple fact is that, here in Thailand, nobody cares.

The cops don't care, the government doesn't care, the Phuket council doesn't care - nobody cares what happens to non Thais in Thailand - simple as that.

It's completely proven by the shoddy half arsed responses to these calamities, or the prevention of such calamities in the future

You are quite right NomadJoe. Your post is complete and utter <deleted>. The police don't care because there is no money in it for them. The government doesn't care because they are too busy filling their own pockets, the Phuket Council is in the pay of the mafia. Have you ever lived in Phuket?

Only for the last 11 years. Yeah right, theres no money in protecting tourists and tourism. whistling.gif This isn't a dispute about tuk tuk fares. It's a murder committed during the commission of a robbery. See my above reply.to weka and please apply it to yourself as well.

Good post!!wai.gif

What possible threat does a 60 year old woman pose? Murdered just for the hell of it.

She posed no threat, it was a robbery gone wrong. They tried to steal her bag, she resisted. The robber fought her off with a knife when she resisted his attempts to steal her bag!

The robber fought her off, are you serious? He was the attacker and she was the victim.

Also, I have seen twice now this term "robbery gone wrong" and even one headline read "bag snatch gone wrong." Is there such a thing as a "robbery gone right."? The term used here implies so.

Now is probably a good time to remind people that the general advise given when confronted by an armed robber, or when outnumbered by robbers, is to not resist. What ever they want it's not worth your life. In no way blaming the victims, but it has been reported that they fought back which was the wrong thing to do and it may have cost this lady her life. A rapist, on the other hand, you should fight, yell, scream with every ounce of your being.

clap2.gifwai.gif

"Col Sirisak admitted that police were under considerable pressure to catch the killer. “We will try to arrest these two men as soon as possible since the incident directly affects Phuket’s tourism,” he said."

There is that word "Tourism" which equals money. Would they be calling in extra police and working around the clock if this incident had not got the media coverage it has or would it of just been another farang death? With the shock waves this has sent through the travel industry in Australia I think TAT have been on a few backs. They see that this offender has flushed millions of baht down the toilet.

You beat me to it, it would have been refreshing if Col Sirisak had

said that they will try to arrest the 2 men because they had killed a

defenseless woman

• Like 1

Good post!!wai.gif

+ 10

+ [......]lensta "You beat me to it, it would have been refreshing if Col Sirisak had

said that they will try to arrest the 2 men because they had killed a

defenseless woman.

Edited by sportsman69
  • Like 1

The security camera footage of the attack being shown on TV, is very disturbing.

The extreme violence shown to these two older women is nauseating.

These two callous turds need life without possibility of parol in the worst hell hole of a Thai prison.

• Like 1

Is it beyond the taste and vigilance of TV to delete all the supposedly witty, ironic, satirical posts, that many people seem to think are appropriate responses to what is a bloody awful tragedy ?

Things often here go beyond the speed that mods can even see everything sometimes, let alone make appropriate judgement calls. This would likely be one of those times.

• Like 1