London Olympics

I intend to grow a pair of "wiggies" to celebrate team GBR's successes.

The massive populations and funding by China and USA compared to the 60 million pop of the UK.

Most of the Team Gb competitors are or have been self funding, yet we still manage to wipe the floor with the rest of the world.

That's what make GREAT Britain.

On another note

To members on here who have children of dual nationalities, which must be several thousand! How about we all push them more to take up Olympian sports( I'm not saying you do or don't push them enough allready). Then maybe in 8 or 12 years time we can see the benefits of a vastly improved and varied Thai Olympic team.

For the record i have 3 who are interested in cycling, Javelin and tennis,What are your serious thoughts on this matter please.....

The Thai Olympic Committe would like to see the following events introduced at the 2016 Rio Games:

muay thai, takraw, aerobic dancing, sleeping

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The massive populations and funding by China and USA compared to the 60 million pop of the UK.

Most of the Team Gb competitors are or have been self funding, yet we still manage to wipe the floor with the rest of the world.

On another note

To members on here who have children of dual nationalities, which must be several thousand! How about we all push them more to take up Olympian sports( I'm not saying you do or don't push them enough allready). Then maybe in 8 or 12 years time we can see the benefits of a vastly improved and varied Thai Olympic team.

For the record i have 3 who are interested in cycling, Javelin and tennis,What are your serious thoughts on this matter please.....

The Thai Olympic Committe would like to see the following events introduced at the 2016 Rio Games:

What about an eating marathon?

On another note

Agree with takraw.

How about cutting up empty Heineken cans into flowers too? Guaranteed gold.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Just watched the Thai taekwando athlete lose a heartbreaker. Up 9 to 3 with about 30 seconds left, the Spanish woman got two head kicks in, one being a four-pointer.

That would have guaranteed Thailand a silver or gold, but now she will have to fight for a bronze.

On another note

For sure if they make sleeping a Olympic sport, Thailand will be guaranteed Gold,Silver and Bronze.

Takraw, is that the game with the ratten ball?

played over a net, if so I think it's a fantastic game,and you certainly have to be fit and agile to play it

I cannot believe how miserable some people can be!!

No matter how much David and I have asked for you to keep this positive, you still insist on bringinging your bile to bear, I don't know whether to despise you, feel sorry for you, or just treat you with contempt.

Some photos from Day 11

post-104736-0-53811300-1344465202_thumb.

Charlotte Dujardin, Carl Hester and Laura Bechtolsheimer of Great Britain celebrate HERE

post-104736-0-89922000-1344465479_thumb.

Alistar Brownlee of Great Britain crosses the finish line to win the gold medal in the Men's Triathlon during the Men's Triathlon (as above)

post-104736-0-90674600-1344465707_thumb.

Sally Pearson of Australia wins Gold Medal 100 Metres womans hurdles

post-104736-0-87487900-1344466143_thumb.

Gold medallists Natalia Ishenko and Svetlana Romashina of Russia pose on the podium following the medal ceremony for the Women's Duets Synchronised Swimming Free Routine Final

For me 'Synchronised Swimming' is a manufactured sport ... but each to their own.

The British royals were out in force ...

Track Cycling

post-104736-0-65642300-1344468572_thumb.

The British royals were out in force to watch Team GB in track cycling today. Princess Anne, Tim Lawrence, Prince Harry, Peter Phillips, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie were the viewers. (Sarah Ferguson was also with her children.)

Equestrian

post-104736-0-76407900-1344468707_thumb.

Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg competed in the team dressage event today. The Princess placed 9th out of the rest of the competitors, but unfortunately Team Denmark finished in 4th position, just out of the medals. Nathalie did, however, record a high enough score to compete in tomorrow’s individual dressage event!

The Princess is of course Queen Margrethe and Queen Anne-Marie’s niece, so the Danish and Greek royals were out in force. Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary, Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Princess Benedikte, Queen Anne-Marie, Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Theodora watched alongside Princess Anne.

More HERE

On another note

The US team is privately funded. No taxpayer money used. It has always been this way. http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english/2006/February/20060209164553jmnamdeirf0.9387018.html

Just finished watching Rudisha set a new world record for the 800 metres, 1.40.91!

Incredible!!

And Bolt has won the 200 metres in very fast time, 19.32. Blake second just behind him, and another Jamacian completed the clean sweep!

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

Seems not everyone is a fan of the Olympics!

http://uk.eurosport....-150836831.html

Fortunately very few people are interested in what a self serving knob like Morrissey thinks. An absolute <deleted> of monumental proportions

Morryssey is a typical multi millionaire pop singer,who made his fortune from the very establishment that he pretends to despise

We have seen them all, Bono,Lennon,Dillon,Geldof (exception though) and the rebels always make a lot of money!

I guess Morrissey is peeved because he didn't get called apon to sing his crap songs at the Olympics.

• Like 1

On another note

Your idea is a good one,but trying to convince Thai Governments to take the Olympics seriously and put some money into Sport is going to be hard work. Witness their effort at this Olympics,at the opening ceremony it looked like the Thai Contingency was about fifteen athletes,no need to ask why they only have 1 Silver and 1 Bronze up to now,with 3 or 4 days left,and a few million larger population than the UK.

Edited by MAJIC

The sight of Saudi athlete Sarah Attar warming up for her heat in the women's 800 metres at the Olympics warmed my heart. Although forced to walk behind her male compatriates at the opening ceremony, and despite having to wear a headscarf and top-to-toe outfit for her event, exposing only her face and fingers to the world to protect her modesty, this surely was a moment in time to reflect.

Attar was the first ever track athlete selected by Saudi Arabia to compete at an Olympics event. Women in this middle-eastern kingdom are treated like second class citizens, with severe restrictions placed on their opportunites, such as in education, sport, and career. Human rights observers have long criticised Saudia Arabia's human rights record, but things appear to be crawling along in a positive direction. A female Saudi runner lining up to compete against the best in the world would surely show the world that progress has been made.

On your marks, get set, GO!! Maybe it was because she wasn't wearing skimpy shorts and singlet like the other girls, or maybe she had a slight injury, but Attar tippied across the finish line in a very pedestrian time of 2 minutes 44.95 seconds, and some 44 seconds behind the heat winner. It was embarrassing.

The International Olympic Committe sets a minimum qualification standard for the women's 800 metres at 2.01.30 minutes. How did Attar get in? I fully appreciate the Olympic creed that participation means so much more than winning, but the Games are a representation of the pinnacle of human ability, the creme de creme. There are probably more than a billion other women in the world who could run 800 metres faster than Attar, and her participation has cheapened the event to a schoolyard game.

Maybe Saudia Arabia wants to show the world that reform is taking place and selected Attar in the team as a symbol of this reform, but the IOC discourages nations from using the Games as an opportunity to air socio-political views.

At the Olympic's closing ceremony, along with Mr. Bean playing the piano, Attar's 800 metre run could be shown on the big screen as comic relief.

post-157796-0-12894000-1344649525_thumb.

Note sure if this was already posted, but if you are in Thailand you can watch the Olympics on youtube. Everything is there live and archived.

youtube.com/olympics

I think this is part of the IOC's let's bring the Olympics to less advantaged countries. The coverage is way better than what you will see in many other countries. Almost like a total access pass.

Maybe this will be the way of the future, with every event streamed in real time with archives and summaries also available. I bet our brethren in the US would kill for a fraction of this type of coverage.

The US ladies 4 x 100m kicked some butt with that WR run. wow!

well in case you were unaware Thailand's Kaeo Pongprayoon goes for gold tonight in the mens light fly weight boxing final at 20.30 GMT ( 02.30 Thai time) up against the no 1 seed from the peoples rep of China.

guess were ever you are it could get a bit noisy if he pulls it off.

chock dee !

i and a few other farangs with Thai partners will be pulling for him here back in London tonight. just wish we could have got tickets as the atmosphere in the boxing arena will be electric.

well in case you were unaware Thailand's Kaeo Pongprayoon goes for gold tonight in the mens light fly weight boxing final at 20.30 GMT ( 02.30 Thai time) up against the no 1 seed from the peoples rep of China.

I was hoping to be able to write something different.

post-104736-0-03231000-1344716510_thumb.

Zou Shiming of China celebrates his victory as Kaeo Pongprayoon of Thailand reacts after the Men's Light Fly (49kg) Boxing final bout on Day 15 of the London 2012 Olympic Games HERE

(Reuters) - Chinas's Zou Shiming won his second successive Olympic gold medal on Saturday, beating Thailand's Kaeo Pongprayoon in a battle of two of the oldest fighters at the London Games to cap his total dominance of the light-flyweight division.

Zou, who won China's first Olympic boxing medal, a bronze, eight years ago and its first gold in front of home fans at the Beijing Games, added a second Olympic win to a career haul that also includes three world amateur championships.

Interesting Report here.

I was hoping to be able to write something different.

post-104736-0-03231000-1344716510_thumb.

Zou Shiming of China celebrates his victory as Kaeo Pongprayoon of Thailand reacts after the Men's Light Fly (49kg) Boxing final bout on Day 15 of the London 2012 Olympic Games HERE

(Reuters) - Chinas's Zou Shiming won his second successive Olympic gold medal on Saturday, beating Thailand's Kaeo Pongprayoon in a battle of two of the oldest fighters at the London Games to cap his total dominance of the light-flyweight division.

Zou, who won China's first Olympic boxing medal, a bronze, eight years ago and its first gold in front of home fans at the Beijing Games, added a second Olympic win to a career haul that also includes three world amateur championships.

Interesting Report here.

Definitely a very contraversial ( sic ) result.

One of a few I,ve I,ve come across re the boxing, the winners performance was NOT in spirit of the games that we have had the joy of experiencing throughout the competition.

Well done to all the competitors who have done their respective countries proud......... with or without reaching the final 3.

You all won for me by how you behaved and in spite of not winning have shown great sportsman / womanship and I for one will never forget it .

Also of course to all the organisers and most importantly the spectators of all the many nationalities for your much appreciated love and friendship towards everyone and each other throughout the games.

Not forgetting David the OP for starting this thread.

marshbags clap2.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

On another note

Your idea is a good one,but trying to convince Thai Governments to take the Olympics seriously and put some money into Sport is going to be hard work. Witness their effort at this Olympics,at the opening ceremony it looked like the Thai Contingency was about fifteen athletes,no need to ask why they only have 1 Silver and 1 Bronze up to now,with 3 or 4 days left,and a few million larger population than the UK.

The Thai goverment won't put investment into future Olympians. This has to start at grass roots level.Then investment will follow if resuls can be shown.

How many Luk Krueng and Thai children live in Thailand with sports orientated parents that will push, inspire and encourage their children to be the best at a particular chosen sport?

For the record there was 37 Thai atheletes.

Thanks for the report, saw the reaction but not the fight.

I did, live on the BBC.

A total travesty; Zou was holding and leaning on Kaeo the whole fight and received numerous private warnings before finally being given a public one, Then Kaeo was given a public warning for no reason that I, or the BBC commentators, could see!

Ok Zou won by three points, so would have won anyway; if the scoring was correct, it's been called into question before at these games. Questions raised over London 2012 Olympic boxing scores

Zou is the first boxer to successfully defend his Olympic championship; as was announced over the PA almost before the result itself was! Perhaps as soon as the defending champion reached the final the powers that be decided to do what they could to ensure he won. Remember he only got to the final by count back after drawing his semi final.

He was booed when announced as the winner and again at the medal ceremony.

On a lighter note, took the wife to Wimbledon temple today for the Queen's birthday and mother's day.

Should have expected it, really, but most of the Thai Olympic team, along with H.E. the Thai ambassador, were there for a celebration.

TV crews from channel 3 and channel 7 also in attendance plus numerous Thai press.

post-67187-0-16077400-1344782317_thumb.jpost-67187-0-60727800-1344781888_thumb.jpost-67187-0-06360000-1344781960_thumb.jpost-67187-0-08195700-1344782028_thumb.jpost-67187-0-35764300-1344782104_thumb.jpost-67187-0-57565800-1344782169_thumb.jpost-67187-0-33951400-1344782236_thumb.j

• Like 2

Sorry, I can't stand hypocrites. If you're going to keep posting shit on this thread I'll keep posting the facts.

You can leave if you don't like it.

I don't have a problem with GB going so well, it was entirely predictable and good luck to them.

Australia's decline was equally predictable. The lack of funding and desertion of coaches for the big buck was there to be seen by anyone for years.

What I don't like is the nasty gloating by people like you!

Team GB "Elite" get £120 million+ per year, Elite meaning best hope of golds, as a Brit i get no pride in buying gold medals as has happened this year, now coming to light games are probably going to end up all costs involved at £27 billion, some what above coe's initial £3billlion. Physcologists, dietitians, even full time weather man for the yatching team so as to make final adjustments upto the yatchs going into the water. Althletes were advised they had to use same pillow 1 month before competing as it was pyscologically beneficial <deleted>. How can this be in the olympic spirt when competing against poorer nations who can barely afford air fares and a set of trainers. Team GB the Manchester City of the olympic world. Qoute below sums it up "we had so much money" . Whats a director of cycling performance do????

“We’ve just been able to go out with lots of money and hire the absolute best people”, was the honest assessment of David Brailsford, cycling performance director of Team Britain, whose Australian head coach Shane Sutton was the engineer of seven gold medals in London.

Sorry, I can't stand hypocrites. If you're going to keep posting shit on this thread I'll keep posting the facts.

You can leave if you don't like it.

I don't have a problem with GB going so well, it was entirely predictable and good luck to them.

Australia's decline was equally predictable. The lack of funding and desertion of coaches for the big buck was there to be seen by anyone for years.

What I don't like is the nasty gloating by people like you!

Team GB "Elite" get £120 million+ per year, Elite meaning best hope of golds, as a Brit i get no pride in buying gold medals as has happened this year, now coming to light games are probably going to end up all costs involved at £27 billion, some what above coe's initial £3billlion. Physcologists, dietitians, even full time weather man for the yatching team so as to make final adjustments upto the yatchs going into the water. Althletes were advised they had to use same pillow 1 month before competing as it was pyscologically beneficial <deleted>. How can this be in the olympic spirt when competing against poorer nations who can barely afford air fares and a set of trainers. Team GB the Manchester City of the olympic world. Qoute below sums it up "we had so much money" . Whats a director of cycling performance do????

“We’ve just been able to go out with lots of money and hire the absolute best people”, was the honest assessment of David Brailsford, cycling performance director of Team Britain, whose Australian head coach Shane Sutton was the engineer of seven gold medals in London.

An Australian colleague of mine said, some years ago, that he was delighted at the focussed and professional attitude that Australians took to sport, and wished that they would take the same attitude to business and industry. But they did - only everyone else did, as well. Now everyone is taking sport as seriously as the Australians did.

Personally, I am immensely proud of the performance of our athletes; and also the broadcasters, who brought this inspiration into every sitting room in the country, and of the organisers, the ball boys anf girls, the 'Olympic Ambassadors', the traffic policemen, everyone that has worked hard to make the games a success. I have enjoyed this Olympics more than any other in the past

SC

• Like 2

The Australian Commentators warmly review the London Olympics.

The great sporting rivalry is always on show between Australia and Great Britain.

As a proud Aussie, I enjoy nothing better then beating the Poms at any sport.

As a proud Aussie we also recognise fair play and acknowledge greatness on the sporting arena, no matter which country.

In this brief interview the Australian commentator gives his warm appreciation to TEAM BG, the London Olympics and London itself.

Interview here

(Australian comments for the 1st half, general Olympic comments after that)