Most & Least Respected Foreigners In Thailand

thelongshoot

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From MY experiences of middle class Bangkok thais, the least respected of the westerners, As a rule of thumb, are in general those that live in Pattaya and the most respected, TBH i'm not 100% sure.

Edited by rijit

The basic inquiry [and theory] is all quite moot....even rhetorical.

We all look alike.whistling.gif

Speak for yourself

Aye. AhdinnaelooknowtlikeCowboy. Ah'm handsome; Aw' the birdstellme that. Even the pigeons say "cooo"

RIBB

From MY experiences of middle class Bangkok thais, the least respected of the westerners, As a rule of thumb, are in general those that live in Pattaya and the most respected, TBH i'm not 100% sure.

Indeed residents of said city do not bode well with Thais.

To set the record straight through consultation with my Thai friends.....

Africans, Indians, Burmese, Cambodians, Scots and Americans are viewed as "keet" on the flip flop!

Where as Chinese and White English are revered. The Jap/Nipon is most popular because he is most soft.

The irony is the Japs invaded Thailand and forced thousands of Thais to work and die on the railways, Thai history seems to have erased this fact in their tourist manifesto.

PS: its canucks not canooks (in regards to some posts way back there)

Oh well..if you are going to play English police going to change my opinion on your countrymen then as being the least offensive foreigners in Thailand then...tongue.png

Origin seems to be a cross between Canada and Chinook ( so the spelling is not entirely incorrect..lol)and viewed by some as an American derogatory epithet..

Americans often view Canadians as boring ...sometimes understandably....but then again many don't even know where lat 49 is..also noticed some Americans have no idea where Australia is.."my cousin lives in Germany do you know him"

On topic and still a little tongue in cheek.... think most Thais don't think about "respect" of any individual or race..they either like 'em or they don't and possibly resent ... suspect they do not generalize, unlike a guy I know in Europe who won't take his kids to the US to visit Disney world "because the fricking Yanks all think they won WW2"

Where the @#$ is Belgium anyways ..... London?.. somewhere near Waterloo rail road station ain't it?

Glad to see that Thais obviously love Aussies by default..unless of course they steal bar towels...

I know a black French guy who is immensely popular with the local gals...no idea why...though he does have an "great" sense of humour ....

Americans may use the term "Canuck" as derogatory if they wish; considering how much baggage the term "American" carries. That identity has been abandoned by all the other inhabitants of the western hemisphere.

Not to veer more off-topic, but I don't think I have every heard an American make a derogatory remark about Canadians in my life (or Australian, for that matter.) This has been especially true after the Canadian embassy in Tehran rescued six American diplomats during the hostage crisis there.

Anytime I have even heard "Canuck" uttered by an American, it has been with what I would consider a degree of fondness.

Bonobo : Global Moderator and Soon to Be TV Diplomat at the UN. ;)

"keet" on the flip flop!

Google doesn't help me with that one. coffee1.gif

it is another sad attempt at using the local lingo in order to appear knowledgeable.

sadly, the erstwhile member has little if no Thai ability and has misheard the thai word kee, for shit, and done themselves no favours in the credibility department.

Americans may use the term "Canuck" as derogatory if they wish; considering how much baggage the term "American" carries. That identity has been abandoned by all the other inhabitants of the western hemisphere.

Not to veer more off-topic, but I don't think I have every heard an American make a derogatory remark about Canadians in my life (or Australian, for that matter.) This has been especially true after the Canadian embassy in Tehran rescued six American diplomats during the hostage crisis there.

Anytime I have even heard "Canuck" uttered by an American, it has been with what I would consider a degree of fondness.

This is my experience as well, they make some jokes, but I never met any American that has had a problem with Canadians. My comment was meant as a joke as well.

Bonobo : Global Moderator and Soon to Be TV Diplomat at the UN. wink.png

report this under regulation of mentioning the m word on tv

I think obsequious flattery is OK, so long as we don't talk about whatever-it-is that M-People do. Slow neutrons down, or some such...

SC

As long as you are not dark-skin you ok...giggle.gif

Rubbish.

I'm a black guy and I've had no issues whatsoever with disrespect from Thais.

They display pure indifference to my skin tone . . . just the way I like it smile.png

It's too bad they don't show the same indifference to skin tone among members of their own nationality. sad.png Students in my class show great deference to lighter-skinned classmates while the darkest ones are ostracized. Very sad to see in a supposed "tolerant" society spurred by this particular brand of Buddhism.

in most countries dark skin attracts light skin and vice versa but its a status thing as opposed to anything else. light skin shows good breeding, equivalent in the west is receeding chin and other interbreeding problems, though also know a chinese ancestry thai who has married an uncle , yes grandad had two wives, be interesting to see what the kids look like

"keet" on the flip flop!

it is another sad attempt at using the local lingo in order to appear knowledgeable.

sadly, the erstwhile member has little if no Thai ability and has misheard the thai word kee, for shit, and done themselves no favours in the credibility department.

Thanks for the correction, My ability and experience of swear words is lacking.

"keet" on the flip flop!

Thanks for the correction, My ability and experience of swear words is lacking.

it would have been a nicely scored point, had the word kee actually been considered a swear word and not used to preface pretty much every negative character trait in the thai lexicon.

kee on means clingy or too affectionate, kee niaow stingy etc etc etc.

it is also used to describe bodily secretions like kee ta (eye crud), kee mook, (snot)

simply put, kee is not a swear word.

I think obsequious flattery is OK, so long as we don't talk about whatever-it-is that M-People do. Slow neutrons down, or some such...

SC

surely mentioning m - peoples neurons or anything to do with brains like slowing is worthy of a ban