Chiang Mai Public Transport

Doznotdiz

As a Chiang Mai resident of many years I am wondering when the “base price” for this supposed public transport system known as the “Red-car” (two-bench major pollutant machine) is going to change from 20 baht. If you speak a little Thai, these ”tsong-tao” drivers know not to try and rip you off and instead just nod; then you know that the fare is 20 baht. By my reckoning they only make money if they get multiple passengers. I sometimes pay just 20 baht for a 6km trip across town on my own and I figure that the cost to them just in fuel would be about 12-15 baht. Still, I suppose that is better than having them drive around with no passengers as is usually the case. So when will the price increase, and how will they achieve this? Will they make it 25 baht, or 30 baht?

The next question of course, is when will Chiang Mai really get a public transport system. I once waited 2 hours at a bus stop and never saw a bus. They have introduced a “red-car” loop with stops but the designated red-cars never actually stop at the stops. What I want is a Sky-Train from Chiang Mai Zoo through to the Arcade Bus Station with an interchange at Khad Suan Keaw (which should be demolished and replaced with a Bangkok MBK lookalike) so that you can catch another Sky-train line to the Airport or the train station.

Am I dreaming?

When did it officially go up from 15 Baht?

I must use these songtel's more.

Where's dolly when I need him, he will know the official fare, though I expect he gives 100 Baht. biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos

I think public transportation is long overdue in Chiang Mai, but don't hold your breath on that happening anytime to soon. sad.png

It's been tried.......dead as the dodo.

When did they try public transportation? I do agree it is a dead subject at least until CM becomes a parking lot.

I think public transportation is long overdue in Chiang Mai, but don't hold your breath on that happening anytime to soon. sad.png

When did they try public transportation? I do agree it is a dead subject at least until CM becomes a parking lot.

Had loads of buses going around empty.....no-one knew where they were going or where they stopped.

I doubt it would be practical as the infra structure is not there for it.

I believe the Songtel rate is 17 baht unlike the previous poster I only pay 100 baht when there is 5 of us for myself 20 baht ad if it is cross town I have no problem with a 10 or 20 baht tip. Depends if it is to some place where he is not likely to get another fare very easy I will give him 20 baht.

I guess I should mention I am far from wealthy but the occasional tip does not hurt me and I believe that the people I tip deserve a good life also. 20 baht 10 for gas 5 for the rental. They are not getting rich.

• Like 1

Had loads of buses going around empty.....no-one knew where they were going or where they stopped.

Empty, maybe, but they are a great deal for going from the airport to the city for 10 Baht. Aircon and music, good deal compared to the Songtells or Tuk-Tuks .

Actually, at one time they had plenty of customers, but the new ones kept changing the routes until no one knew where they went and gave up on them. I used to use the yellow ones regularly and so did the Thais.

Empty, maybe, but they are a great deal for going from the airport to the city for 10 Baht. Aircon and music, good deal compared to the Songtells or Tuk-Tuks .

Now if they installed wifi, all the old farangs that sit in KSK all day might utilise them.

If you do not know the time when the bus will stop, you can wait at least half day.

The white buses leave from Acade bus station 4 times a day at: in the morning 06:00 and 08:00 , in the evening at 16:00 and 18:00

there are 3 lines of white bus, line 2, line 6 and line 11, cost 15 baht all the line.

Line 2 will leave from Arcade then pass, Super highway, Kawila, beside way train station, Tha Pae, Wat Chiang Man, Chang Phuak gate, Manee Nopparat road, Huay Kaew, Jet Yod, Chiang Mai province office.

Line 6 devided in two lines way, this is the way that it will pass : Arcade, Super highway, hug canal road, Chiang Mai plaza hotel, airport, Chiang Mai libraly, Suan Dok gate, Suthep, zoo then turn back to Super highway.

Line 11 start from Arcade, Kaew Nawarat, Warorot market (Kad Luang), Tha Pae, Ratchadamnuen road, Wat Pun Tao, police station, Ratchamakka road, Boonruangrit road, Suan Dok gate, Chiang Mai gate, Thippanet road, Ratchapuek road.

About sky train, underground train,...they were talking about it many years ago but nothing happen, so my idea answer for your question is may be possible(1-10%) in next 10+ years, now I just waiting if a fast train Bangkok-Chiang Mai will be done (this year will start if there is nothing change).

• Like 1

I think from a purely 'moving people' measure, Song Tao's are great... frequent, cheap, go pretty close the where you want to go... they could be a bit better organised into routes etc, and obviously from an environmental and congestion point of view, they aren't the best...

Trains and busses only go in the general direction where you want to go... either they are infrequent or inefficient outside of peak times, and you still need a connecting form of transport (either private car, taxi, or song tao) to get from the station/stop to your home... especially if you are carrying anything...

and obviously from an environmental and congestion point of view, they aren't the best...

Yeah, definitely not very environmentally friendly, every one I am ever stuck behind (because they are never in a rush to get anywhere) is belching awful black smoke sick.gif

It may have been a songthaew convention rather than farmers causing the smoke this year biggrin.png

I just waiting if a fast train Bangkok-Chiang Mai will be done (this year will start if there is nothing change).

I have been waiting for a regular train to Phuket for more than 20 years which was supposed to be "imminent" back then.

I think from a purely 'moving people' measure, Song Tao's are great... frequent, cheap, go pretty close the where you want to go...

Of course they are. I just can't be bothered with this typical TV discussion/diatribe but I'm happy you put this in. As for pollution, they are diesel trucks. Some are older, some are the same as the truck you and I drive, and some are newer. Either way emission regulations apply to them just the same as to me, it will get solved/improved.

I doubt it would be practical as the infra structure is not there for it.

I believe the Songtel rate is 17 baht unlike the previous poster I only pay 100 baht when there is 5 of us for myself 20 baht ad if it is cross town I have no problem with a 10 or 20 baht tip. Depends if it is to some place where he is not likely to get another fare very easy I will give him 20 baht.

I guess I should mention I am far from wealthy but the occasional tip does not hurt me and I believe that the people I tip deserve a good life also. 20 baht 10 for gas 5 for the rental. They are not getting rich.

Agree.

I sometimes take a red sorng tao from just outside the airport to near the 'intersection' of Mahidol Road and the Superhighway.

They usually quote 30 to 40 Baht, I'm happy to give a little more.

• Like 1

I just waiting if a fast train Bangkok-Chiang Mai will be done (this year will start if there is nothing change).

LOL, I can tell you right now that this won't even start this decade, if it happens at all. Just taking the current train to Lampang for example and you'll realize the enormity of that undertaking. China is willing to invest apparently, but then there better be a connection to Laos/Burma/China you'd think. Looking at a map, and wanting to stick to flat spots as much as possible, you'd think that would bypass Chiang Mai and would go Lampang -> Chiang Rai -> Mae Sai -> Kengtung -> Xishuangbanna -> Khunming instead. Still VERY tricky of course, digging through mountains and bridging over valleys once you get to Burma.

I have been waiting for a regular train to Phuket for more than 20 years which was supposed to be "imminent" back then.

Trat is a nice town, you can take a train there. :)

does the songthaew really only cost 20thb? not that i take them alot, but they charge me between 40-60thb

I thought it was 15 to be honest. Either way you don't need to ask. If you ask that's like advertising you're a newbie tourist. (And the extra is probably warranted due to the potential for confusion and communication issues) Or, if you want door-to-door service (going into a specific soi, or a particular location our of the regular city area then the extra may also be valid.

So it's hard to say if 40-60 baht is too high actually. It this is from Kad Luang to Thapae then that's too high, yes. ;) But not Thapae going to Phayap or Big C or something.

I think from a purely 'moving people' measure, Song Tao's are great... frequent, cheap, go pretty close the where you want to go... they could be a bit better organised into routes etc, and obviously from an environmental and congestion point of view, they aren't the best...

Trains and busses only go in the general direction where you want to go... either they are infrequent or inefficient outside of peak times, and you still need a connecting form of transport (either private car, taxi, or song tao) to get from the station/stop to your home... especially if you are carrying anything...

If you organized them into routes you would wind up with a system like Pattaya. They have a fixed route and you better know all of them if you want to go all over the city. Here in Chiang Mai They have no fixed route and if you want to go to a out of the way spot they will take you there. Of course it might cost more than 20 baht. At least you can wave any one down and deal with them. Not so on a fixed route. There might not even be as many songtel's available in certain areas.

LOL, I can tell you right now that this won't even start this decade, if it happens at all. Just taking the current train to Lampang for example and you'll realize the enormity of that undertaking. China is willing to invest apparently, but then there better be a connection to Laos/Burma/China you'd think. Looking at a map, and wanting to stick to flat spots as much as possible, you'd think that would bypass Chiang Mai and would go Lampang -> Chiang Rai -> Mae Sai -> Kengtung -> Xishuangbanna -> Khunming instead. Still VERY tricky of course, digging through mountains and bridging over valleys once you get to Burma.

Trat is a nice town, you can take a train there. smile.png

I saw on another thread where Japan is doing a work up on the Bangkok Chiang Mai route. That is two of them now as China is looking in to it also. But as said earlier it would not be a good choice for China they are more concerned with gettig freight and people from Bangkok to Peking. Their long range plan will be fast train all the way from Singapore through Mallasia, Thailand, Lao and o in to Peking.

I really don't see where given their intentions the extra cost to go to Chiang Mai would interest them.

The possibility of it happening goes up the longer the PT stay in power.

If you organized them into routes you would wind up with a system like Pattaya. They have a fixed route and you better know all of them if you want to go all over the city. Here in Chiang Mai They have no fixed route and if you want to go to a out of the way spot they will take you there. Of course it might cost more than 20 baht. At least you can wave any one down and deal with them. Not so on a fixed route. There might not even be as many songtel's available in certain areas.

I had the idea, that a couple songtiaw should just circle the moat, similar to pataya, charge ten baht, no saying where you are going, just jump on and buzz to get off, they should be a different color or marked as around the tha moat only. I think that would be good for many townies and touristas.

• 3 months later...

Now if they installed wifi, all the old farangs that sit in KSK all day might utilise them.

u noticed them as well,been there for years as well, there like the furniture,especially that one who sits there reading his book,and the grey haired pony tailed guy,who seems to live in the supermarket resturant,strange all the way to los to spend your life in a supermarket,are well tit.
  • Like 1

Trat is a nice town, you can take a train there. smile.png

I saw on another thread where Japan is doing a work up on the Bangkok Chiang Mai route. That is two of them now as China is looking in to it also. But as said earlier it would not be a good choice for China they are more concerned with gettig freight and people from Bangkok to Peking. Their long range plan will be fast train all the way from Singapore through Mallasia, Thailand, Lao and o in to Peking.

I really don't see where given their intentions the extra cost to go to Chiang Mai would interest them.

The possibility of it happening goes up the longer the PT stay in power.

The way the Chinese rail production has been going in China, it's better for everybody if they just stay away.

This a useful link, though it doesn't map the yellows going from near pratu CM down through Hang Dong.

http://www.openchian....com/v3283.html

Not sure of their route but I see quite a few of them at the Chiang Mai Gate area. That is the main South Gate.

I wish those maps would include the old city mmake it easier for those of us who are not that familiar with Thai names on the roads and can't read Thai.

I also see Yellow trucks parked on a side street in between the first and second set of lights once you have crossed the bridge heading east close to the Warorot Market and the American consulate.

The way the Chinese rail production has been going in China, it's better for everybody if they just stay away.

I think that is the least of our problems read today the Chinese are now producing passenger jets A320/737 size, I would expect them to be cheap and no doubt picked up by the discount airlines, not that they'll be seeing me as a passenger.