Is Cigarettes Importation That Big Of A Deal At Border?

Was doing a visa run in Ranong <> Burma earlier today. On the return boat leg, you stop at a checkpoint where a Thai military [looking] personnel may search the boat, usually very casually. One of the foreigners had 6 or 10 cases (do you call them cartons?) of cigarettes. He bought them in Cambodia and came across no problem. He took them with him on the visa run i'm guessing because he did not want to leave his bag (or cigarettes) in the visa run minivan. Anyway, the foreigner was a bit surprised, but just handed the checker 3-4 packs of the cigarettes and he kept going checking the rest of the boat. When the visa people came back on the boat (they have to stay off while the boat is being checked), the foreigner in violation was admonished for having more than 2 cartons, and said that it could have ended with an arrest.

Is this correct? Is there a limit to the amount of cigarettes that can be taken in at once from a border country?

There is no limit, but more then 200 sigarettes ust be declared and duties paid. He didn' do that, so was smuggling. That is a criminal offense, most times dealt with a heafty fine for a few cartons, but can lead to arrest and imprisonment.

I thought it was 2 cartons limit per person last year when crossing the border from Cambodia into Thailand. Our group was a total of three people, I figured 4 cartons was ok between 3 persons. I declared them at the border and the customer officer arrested me. The short of the story which is posted in detail here on TV it cost me all the cigs and 18,000 baht fine. I was going to be deported from Thailand and sent to an immigration hold in Bangkok. Lucky for me they allowed the Thai national in our group to be arrested and fined so I could avoid deportation. And, yes I got all the official paper work from the police station & customs office, it wasn't a scam.

Edited by gosompoi

I am just wondering why people would bring them in, as they are cheap enough here?

Singapore I understand, and have experience with as they are nearly 12 bucks a packet!

Obviously not a smoker...L&M, Malborough are over 50% cheaper

L&M are 100 baht for 200, so a lot cheaper.......

Always find in funny that you can buy them in shops Thai side of the Cambodia boarder for 150 baht.. but this appear to be the done thing Thai side anywhere at any Boarder in Thailand.. Many places in Hat Yai sell much more then Cigs at a fraction of the boarder Duty free shop

And many things sold in Hat Yai are not what they appear.

But cigarettes are a very serious issue for Customs and exceeding limits is very strictly enforced with high fines and has full support of government and most people due to the nature of the substance involved.

Anyway, the foreigner was a bit surprised, but just handed the checker 3-4 packs of the cigarettes and he kept going checking the rest of the boat.

Payoff...corruption...how could this happen?!! Oh yea, I forgot, it's Thailand.

You are allowed to bring a maximum of 200 cigarettes (1 carton) into Thailand, from anywhere, and the fines can be pretty heavy so stick to the rules.

On the other hand, I smoke cigars not available in Thailand and usually bring in more than the allowance. I always declare them to customs at Suvarnabhumi (Red channel when open, otherwise Green channel) and they have always been very reasonable. I would not try to bring in 10 or 20 cartons of cigarettes which would obviously not be for my own personal consumption.

from Cambodia it has never been a problem bring over 20 or so cartons of fags!

Why bother? They are fakes anyway.

Exactly.

Anyway I am sure that the confiscated items are smoked by the customs boys and sold by them anyway - this is why they take it seriously.

• Like 1

But cigarettes are a very serious issue for Customs and exceeding limits is very strictly enforced with high fines and has full support of government and most people due to the nature of the substance involved.

cigarettes? i can understand the fine money, but didnt think it was serious drug.

one of the visa run clerks got a sample of the cigarette and commented that it was good quality, as if he never smoked that specific brand (or copy) before.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

I bring back 1 carton of L & Ms each time I do a border run,less than half price. The driver usually advises that is the "limit".

He did say that one time someone brought back 5 cartons and was fined 5000 baht each carton.

So they turned out expensive for him.

I bring back 1 carton of L & Ms each time I do a border run,less than half price. The driver usually advises that is the "limit".

He did say that one time someone brought back 5 cartons and was fined 5000 baht each carton.

This happens regularly with anyone carrying more than one carton, they will pay a hefty fine on the spot.

At some Cambodia border crossing points there are officials watching the stores to see who is buying too much and will

later be stopped and fined.

This happens regularly with anyone carrying more than one carton, they will pay a hefty fine on the spot.

At some Cambodia border crossing points there are officials watching the stores to see who is buying too much and will

later be stopped and fined.

why am i not surprised? i can see why the visa guy was irate.

so cambodia is 1 carton, and burma is 2 cartons?

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

from web side of Thai Custom

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
    • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

will try to find the penalty for excess.

cigarettes? i can understand the fine money, but didnt think it was serious drug.

Nicotine is as addictive and harmful as heroin, if not more so. Yes, it's a serious drug with serious health issues for the smoker and those around them.

BTW, I'm a smoker.