Thaksin Ends Visit, U.S. On Defensive

webfact

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

It is political, only in the sense that he was in office when he committed a crime that wasn't about politics, just money. He must feel like an idiot sometimes, his greed cost him his "face"

Absolutely correct. He hides behind this "political" facade, but the truth is, he is a criminal.

He says he wants to show that he can go anywhere except Thailand. The truth on that point is that he can come to Thailand, no-one is stopping him ... but he has to accept that he will be arrested and imprisoned as soon as he lands here.

If by some freak government decision, he isn't arrested, then I'm afraid this government will have to take full responsibility for the political turmoil, perhaps indeed, civil war, that will ensue...!!

I am neither for or against Thaksin. I think you are being too harsh on him for the financial gains. Let's not forget that during his reign, farangs have a much easier time renewing their visa, e.g. crossing borders gives you one month visas and there is no limit to any amount of times you go! Now, you can do it only 3 to 4 times & you get only 15 days each time (MEAN). Registering & maintaining a farangs' company now costs more and is more restricted with the 4 staffs requirements! During Thaksin everything was easy for farangs! I don't know why the idiots are still persecuting him for something which every government in the world is doing! Making financial gains for themselves.

Dudes, give him a break!

That is incorrect.

It became harder for Farangs during Thaksins tenure. < (Reign: which implies he was royal, NOT used)

All the anti-farang feeling racheted up during Thaksins nationalism campaigns.

There were no unlimited visas, during his time.

You can get visas on arrival for 15 days, but still get 2, 90 day visas if preapplied for.

I got 90 days during Thaksin's tenure, you can still do that.

4 staff was needed back then during Thakisn.

EVERYTHING costs more now, from soup to nuts and companies too.

Just because in many governments there are people making profit for their friends,

selves and backers, doesn't mean ANY of them should get a pass if the get caught.

Many do get caught convicted and serve jail time for it.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

As far as being too hard on him,

tell that to all those injured or killed by his attempts to retake power for himself.

2009 and 2010 violence would not have happened without his instigation.

Simple fact.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

And there's the rub for Thaksin; he goes to jail for 2 years, that's a cake walk his billions bribes into luxury,

BUT he also will be transported against his will to OTHER courts to further the OTHER CASES.

and that is essentially terms that could mean life in prison at his age.

And total lose of remaining face.

I believe that the main reason Thaksin cannot return is that anyone who has served time in Jail cannot stand for political office here.

Patrick

And there's the rub for Thaksin; he goes to jail for 2 years, that's a cake walk his billions bribes into luxury,

BUT he also will be transported against his will to OTHER courts to further the OTHER CASES.

I believe that the main reason Thaksin cannot return is that anyone who has served time in Jail cannot stand for political office here.

Patrick

True, he couldn't be PM officially,

but he could sit as appointed cabinet member and RUN THE MEETINGS.

And all would know who the controller is, and bow to his wishes and presence.

But that is not the sword of Damocles hanging over his head.

He could still be the Boss/ back room controller etc.

No, he likely would never get OUT of jail once he enters,

he needs the slate wiped clean retroactively of ALL 7 cases,

and the must ALL be labeled political for that to work.

Edited by animatic

It became harder for Farangs during Thaksins tenure. < (Reign: which implies he was royal, NOT used)

Unfortunatly Animatic the yellows have never been pro farang and if you have read what old Mr Sondhi used to say about westerners you will have no allusions as to what he is about.

Both sides use it, no white hats here

• Like 1

Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

It is political, only in the sense that he was in office when he committed a crime that wasn't about politics, just money. He must feel like an idiot sometimes, his greed cost him his "face"

Absolutely correct. He hides behind this "political" facade, but the truth is, he is a criminal.

He says he wants to show that he can go anywhere except Thailand. The truth on that point is that he can come to Thailand, no-one is stopping him ... but he has to accept that he will be arrested and imprisoned as soon as he lands here.

If by some freak government decision, he isn't arrested, then I'm afraid this government will have to take full responsibility for the political turmoil, perhaps indeed, civil war, that will ensue...!!

I am neither for or against Thaksin. I think you are being too harsh on him for the financial gains. Let's not forget that during his reign, farangs have a much easier time renewing their visa, e.g. crossing borders gives you one month visas and there is no limit to any amount of times you go! Now, you can do it only 3 to 4 times & you get only 15 days each time (MEAN). Registering & maintaining a farangs' company now costs more and is more restricted with the 4 staffs requirements! During Thaksin everything was easy for farangs! I don't know why the idiots are still persecuting him for something which every government in the world is doing! Making financial gains for themselves.

Dudes, give him a break!

So you are trapped by radar for exceeeding the speed limit and you think you shouldn't have to pay up because everybody else was also speeding? Get real. The only break he deserves is his neck. Do a little digging and discover how he got to be so rich.

but, but, but.... he denies that...

Thailand’s Thaksin Talks

Question: What are your political aspirations?

Answer: I want to support my sister. I will have no ambition.

- Thaksin Shinawatra, August 21, 2012

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

Dudes, give him a break!

That is incorrect.

There were no unlimited visas, during his time.

You can get visas on arrival for 15 days, but still get 2, 90 day visas if preapplied for.

I got 90 days during Thaksin's tenure, you can still do that.

4 staff was needed back then during Thakisn.

EVERYTHING costs more now, from soup to nuts and companies too.

Just because in many governments there are people making profit for their friends,

selves and backers, doesn't mean ANY of them should get a pass if the get caught.

Many do get caught convicted and serve jail time for it.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

As far as being too hard on him,

tell that to all those injured or killed by his attempts to retake power for himself.

2009 and 2010 violence would not have happened without his instigation.

Simple fact.

100% agreed. Thaksin´s "first" party was Thai rak Thai (Thai love Thai) Thaksin is a xenophobe. Edited by Skywalker69
  • Like 1

Dudes, give him a break!

I have been coming to Thailand on business, working, holidays, married and have an 8 year old son during the last 19 years and I have NEVER had a problem getting a LEGAL visa.

I have worked offshore in many countries and Thailand is one of the easier countries to get a visa to.

In fact it is easier for me to get a visa for Thailand and extend it every year than it is for my wife to get a visa for the UK.

Thaksi does not in fact need a visa to come to Thailand as he IS Thai.

Even with his sister as the PM, the police packed with relatives and class mates, the government in his pay pocket and a Red Shirt army, he still does not come back to Thailand.

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Unfortunatly Animatic the yellows have never been pro farang and if you have read what old Mr Sondhi used to say about westerners you will have no allusions as to what he is about.

Both sides use it, no white hats here

I know the Nationalism is ridiculous, but it is far from just Sondhi,

or the Yellows who needed a post Thaksin issue to attempt to stay relevant.

It is part of the fundamental mind set of the country inculcated by the school system.

So in tougher times, most run back and wrap themselves in the flag.

And of course nationalism means us against them and anyone NOT Thai is not us.

Not hard to understand.

There was a world wide economic bubble Thaksin was fortunate enough to ride,

and a world wide recession hammering everyone and the Dems inherited that,

passing it on slightly repaired to Yingluck.

But that doesn't mean the rising nationalism during Thaksin wasn't hurting us progressively.

Dudes, give him a break!

One teeny weeny nit to pick with your comment:"Let's not forget that during his reign".

Thaksin is an ambitious man but the correct word, I believe, is tenure. Kings reign, P.M.'s do not.

The "idiots" are still "persecuting" him because he is a criminal and just because you feel every other government in the world allows people to make financial gains for themselves, albeit at the expense of the population and the poor in particular, doesn't make it right.

Just remember that his sister Yingluck is Prime Minister, his brother-in-law Priewphan Damapong is National Police chief, his cousin Surapong Tovichakchaikul is the Foreign Minister, he has several other family members in high positions of power in this country. You would think his return would be a breeze.

But between Thaksin and freedom lie the courts of law and they serve the monarch and the Thai people.

• Like 2

Of course Taksin is controversial. He Taksin is a world statesman and as such millions of people inside and outside of Thailand wish to hear what he has to say. It is also not surprising that wealthy democrats that want to see Taksin destroyed can afford to follow him around the world on spoiling expeditions. Such expeditions are an embarrassment to Thailand. However free speech is their right. This is true however selfish and divisive their cause. At times I begin to doubt the sanity of my peers on Thai Visa. The cause of the situation that is threatening to tear Thailand apart is the ashes of an illegal Military Coup that brought down the legitimate Government of this beautiful country that was doing fine. The so called democrats are not democratic at all. At every opportunity democrats indicate that they wish to return to the pre-Taksin days of endless coups and failed government both military and Democratic. Each of these phases culminated in suffocating circumstances, as at present. Without a redraft of the constitution Thailand cannot heal. It is true of course that if the revised constitution is rational Taksin should be able to return to Thailand safely to participate in the reconciliation of this great nation. Will Taksin become Prime-Minister again? Who knows! Can he come back safely while the Democrats continue to mourn the failure of their most recent military government. Some democrats speak out in favor of another military coup. Why? Is it so that their friends in the military can assist them in a continuing exploitation of the majority of the Thai people? What if Taksin comes back and elements of the extreme or fundamentalist democrats assassinate him. Do you think that would be good for Thailand? In reconciliation we have to reconcile an illegal Military Coup de tare and an outrageous penalty on conviction of a misdemeanour of a kind that is committed without embarrassment by ordinary Thais that love their wife anytime she wants to exert her human right to be treated as an equal or normal human being. For that Taksin was fined some 47 billion of his own money and sentenced to two years in prison. This is what also has to be reconciled. We can leave our reconciliation with the democrats that behaved like hooligans in stranding thousands of law abiding visitors and Thai business men wishing to go about their business overseas. I refer to the democrat occupation of Sukhuvami airport. Now that really does deserve a fine of 47 Billion Baht. I have no deeply held opinion on Taksin returning to govern Thailand. But I do know that Thailand desperately needs a man of his calibre in the top job. In the meantime our Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra appears to be quietly attending to the people, which of course what Premiers are for.

Of course Taksin is controversial. He Taksin is a world statesman and as such millions of people inside and outside of Thailand wish to hear what he has to say. It is also not surprising that wealthy democrats that want to see Taksin destroyed can afford to follow him around the world on spoiling expeditions. Such expeditions are an embarrassment to Thailand. However free speech is their right. This is true however selfish and divisive their cause. At times I begin to doubt the sanity of my peers on Thai Visa. The cause of the situation that is threatening to tear Thailand apart is the ashes of an illegal Military Coup that brought down the legitimate Government of this beautiful country that was doing fine. The so called democrats are not democratic at all. At every opportunity democrats indicate that they wish to return to the pre-Taksin days of endless coups and failed government both military and Democratic. Each of these phases culminated in suffocating circumstances, as at present. Without a redraft of the constitution Thailand cannot heal. It is true of course that if the revised constitution is rational Taksin should be able to return to Thailand safely to participate in the reconciliation of this great nation. Will Taksin become Prime-Minister again? Who knows! Can he come back safely while the Democrats continue to mourn the failure of their most recent military government. Some democrats speak out in favor of another military coup. Why? Is it so that their friends in the military can assist them in a continuing exploitation of the majority of the Thai people? What if Taksin comes back and elements of the extreme or fundamentalist democrats assassinate him. Do you think that would be good for Thailand? In reconciliation we have to reconcile an illegal Military Coup de tare and an outrageous penalty on conviction of a misdemeanour of a kind that is committed without embarrassment by ordinary Thais that love their wife anytime she wants to exert her human right to be treated as an equal or normal human being. For that Taksin was fined some 47 billion of his own money and sentenced to two years in prison. This is what also has to be reconciled. We can leave our reconciliation with the democrats that behaved like hooligans in stranding thousands of law abiding visitors and Thai business men wishing to go about their business overseas. I refer to the democrat occupation of Sukhuvami airport. Now that really does deserve a fine of 47 Billion Baht. I have no deeply held opinion on Taksin returning to govern Thailand. But I do know that Thailand desperately needs a man of his calibre in the top job. In the meantime our Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra appears to be quietly attending to the people, which of course what Premiers are for.

i think for sometime now good ol uncle Sam has worked on the assumption of, Don't do what I do ,do as I say, they have two rules ,Secretary of state Clinton, decides which one they will use, i wounder What rule will apply to my fellow countryman Julian Assange.bah.gif

Julian Assange will also get a Visa...but only need a one way ticket.

"Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

​ Absolutely correct. Even the coup makers were making a political statement in executing the coup, all be it an illegal method of removing a democratically elected prime minister from power. Impeachment is the appropriate method. In exile Taksin continues to express his views without malice toward anyone. His campaign flourishes under the concept of free speech which is applauded by all of the free in our world. Unlike the 'yellow shirts' Taksin is not using the right of free speech to embarrass or compromise Thailand or any of her institutions.

...He Taksin is a world statesman and as such millions of people inside and outside of Thailand wish to hear what he has to say....

555-5555 : 555-5555 : 555-5555 : 555-5555 : 555-5555 : 555-5555 : 555-5555 :

Taksin the Great, been dead for centuries.

World Statement Maker Thaksin Shinawatra,

just likes the sound of his own voice,

telling others what to do, far too much.

Edited by animatic

Asked what was the "symbolic impact" of his US visit, Thaksin said: "I just want to show that I can go anywhere but Thailand."

This is so UNtrue!! He CAN go to Thailand whenever he wants, but he is too scared for the consequences! I have no respect whatsoever for this spineless monkey-face.

"Asked by Siamtown US to comment on allegations that his US visa was part of a "trade-off", Thaksin said: "People who don't know the truth talk a lot. Worse still, those who know are not quite smart. The first thing they should know is, the extradition treaty does not cover political cases. Mine is a political case."

​ Absolutely correct. Even the coup makers were making a political statement in executing the coup, all be it an illegal method of removing a democratically elected prime minister from power. Impeachment is the appropriate method. In exile Taksin continues to express his views without malice toward anyone. His campaign flourishes under the concept of free speech which is applauded by all of the free in our world. Unlike the 'yellow shirts' Taksin is not using the right of free speech to embarrass or compromise Thailand or any of her institutions.

He was an expired Acting PM,

he removed himself from being PM by disolving Parliamentcalling the snap election.

And his Tempt PM status expired because he failed spectacularly to

run an election within 90 days of Dossolution of Parliament.

He also was not reconfirmed by the head of state for a 2nd Acting PM term.

So the army deposed an usurper ACTING PM, acting extra-constitutionally.

• Like 2

He never feels like an idiot or admits to himself that he might have made a mistake.

• Like 1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/04/thailand1