Mass Killer Anders Breivik Sentenced To 21 Years In Prison

webfact

I'm really surprised at the level of hatred here.

There is no such a thing as justice in case of murders and the illusion of it (eye for an eye) only leads to even more human suffering. Don't tell me the "US Justice System" is about justice, it's just about revenge and inflicting hurt on people who have hurt others.

And yes - the Norwegian prison system (which is fantastically successful both at results and costs) are just about two things:

• Protecting society from offenders if they're dangerous
  • Rehabilitating the offenders and making sure they become safe and productive members of society, facilitating release after the mandatory part of the sentence is finished

We don't punish people here because the primal sense of revenge humans have. When we punish people by taking away basic human rights, we do it because we have to and would like to do so for a short a period of time as possible instead of gleefully legally torturing them for the enjoyment of the masses.

Norway has some problems like every country, but our criminal care system isn't one of them. Instead of advocating/teaching violence through the prison system, we prevent and treat it through it. Our system is one of the main reasons for the very low violence rate in Norway.

Brevik did terrible evil things and will likely spend the majority of his life in prison for it, but please don't act as we're the bad guys for having a extremely successfull system that gives you a second chance to make things right for society while you're advocating running over him with asphalt steam rollers.

If YOUR daughter has her brains spread over the scenery then come back here with the same post. sad.png

@V8 - nothing more to add to that, well said!

The personal grief is undoubtedly unmeasurable. And how does a lot of personal grief justify steam roller torture exactly? An "Eye for an eye" is appealing emotionally, but it's an incredibly stupid way to deal with tough issues like this.

That wasn't a rhetorical question, please answer how the unhumane treatment of offenders will make the Norwegian society (or any other society for that matter) more safe and less violent.

Since all the statistics are against you, I don't think you can.

Edited by kristofferR
  • Like 2

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came to this thread late. Several posters beat me to it, but in Norway, a murder is worth a mere 13 weeks in the slammer, and comfortable one at that. I heard earlier, that, rather than have him serve time in isolation (too cruel, awwww), the prison system has found two guys who think like him, and are going to let the 3 guys have comfortable isolation, 3 meals a day, warm beds, medical care, cable TV.

They should allow one member of each family, voluntarily, to go in small groups, with rubber hoses, and beat the shit out of that guy, each and every morning before his breakfast.

Interesting that every post I read on here agrees the sentence was too light.

what benefit would that have?

Would it make the children alive again? Would it stop other crazy people to do the same?

What would be the point of it?

• Like 1

Rehabilitation is the key.

I'm sure with the TLC of the Norweigen prison system he might even be rehabilitated to re-enter society when his minimum period of 10 years is reached.

Definitely: that is the reason why he didn't want to be declared insane.

There is no such a thing as justice in case of murders and the illusion of it (eye for an eye) only leads to even more human suffering. Don't tell me the "US Justice System" is about justice, it's just about revenge and inflicting hurt on people who have hurt others.

And yes - the Norwegian prison system (which is fantastically successful both at results and costs) are just about two things:

• Rehabilitating the offenders and making sure they become safe and productive members of society, facilitating release after the mandatory part of the sentence is finished

We don't punish people here because the primal sense of revenge humans have. When we punish people by taking away basic human rights, we do it because we have to and would like to do so for a short a period of time as possible instead of gleefully legally torturing them for the enjoyment of the masses.

Norway has some problems like every country, but our criminal care system isn't one of them. Instead of advocating/teaching violence through the prison system, we prevent and treat it through it. Our system is one of the main reasons for the very low violence rate in Norway.

Brevik did terrible evil things and will likely spend the majority of his life in prison for it, but please don't act as we're the bad guys for having a extremely successfull system that gives you a second chance to make things right for society while you're advocating running over him with asphalt steam rollers.

If YOUR daughter has her brains spread over the scenery then come back here with the same post. sad.png

The personal grief is undoubtedly unmeasurable. And how does a lot of personal grief justify steam roller torture exactly? An "Eye for an eye" is appealing emotionally, but it's an incredibly stupid way to deal with tough issues like this.

That wasn't a rhetorical question, please answer how the unhumane treatment of offenders will make the Norwegian society (or any other society for that matter) more safe and less violent.

Are you out of your mind. The bastard gunned down 77 young people and you think that he should be given a life of luxury in a Norwegian prison as punishment. He should have been topped as soon as they caught him. I guess in your mind following his sentence he will have some way of contributing the Norwegian society. The 77 slaughtered youngsters would have contributed far more, but because of his actions they can not. Very sad.

• Like 1

Sorry, i understand your point, you can indeed rehablitate a robber, a rapist, even an assassin...But this monster has killed 77 youngsters.. All meticolously planned for months !!!

Who is going to share a cup of coffee with him ? Who is going to work with him ? Who is going to look him in his eyes ?

I am against the death penalty, but in this case i would not waste a cockroach to feed him !!

I would rather leave him naked on a desert island in the middle of the sea, and let him starve.

I blame the media too, it's sickening to see his face everywherebah.gif

Huh dunno why they dont just execute and not by lethal injection by gun.

Waste of money for the next 21 years, a clear cut case if ever there was one, no doubt the liberal brigade will be along shortly to chastise me.

Dont see the problem with execution at all in this case.

ok, I guess I dont have to understand what Breivik has to do with Thailand...how many years the Columbine shooters got? ....or the other weapon addicted idiot recently killed some folks in the USA where incidents like this are ocuring every day...but hey, thx for the info, guess we will have missed it otherwise saai.gif

yes, the punishment is for what:

1) lock him in a room so he does not do it again now: OK done for the next years

2) teach him so he won't do it again--fail most probably

3) Prevent other people to do the same...That works if the police catch the neighbor and charge him 1000 euro for driving drunk, but it does not work for insane people.

Revenge doesn't help anyone and if the society makes another crime by torture him, it won't help anything.

yes, the punishment is for what:

1) lock him in a room so he does not do it again now: OK done for the next years

2) teach him so he won't do it again--fail most probably

3) Prevent other people to do the same...That works if the police catch the neighbor and charge him 1000 euro for driving drunk, but it does not work for insane people.

Revenge doesn't help anyone and if the society makes another crime by torture him, it won't help anything.

He had the audacity to salute as he walked in to court. What a <deleted>, but I am sure he can be saved. You know that the majority of Norwegian people will not agree with you or the knobhead that is defending their justice system.

Huh dunno why they dont just execute and not by lethal injection by gun.

Waste of money for the next 21 years, a clear cut case if ever there was one, no doubt the liberal brigade will be along shortly to chastise me.

Dont see the problem with execution at all in this case.

Not me, the Norge ''Special Forces'' should have done their job, it was a combat zone, all be it one sided. Any other country, the guy would be fertilizer, now the mums and dads have no closure. sad.png

<deleted>!!!! I believe you haven't been following up closely on the story, Breiviks sick thoughts and ideology - this guy is a mad person and seriously AND PERMANENTLY twisted in the head, just like an Adolf Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, you name it, and he has a genocidal agenda on his slate...

You don't really believe that learning to play guitar or playing basketball in this super luxurious hotel, sorry, "prison" will erase such sick plans and agendas from his mind and let him come out as a brand new and "healed" Breivik who suddenly loves and embraces a multi-cultural society?

When do people like you realize that there must be a red line also in the DO-GOODER handbook or whatever you are reading to become so weakend and soft that most likely you would even hug and kiss the killer of your own children and invite him for dinner. This do-gooder philosophy bull$#!t sickens me death!!!

All very self righteous and a maybe a touch holier than thou but putting the victims and their families first I wonder if Breveik would have done what he did if he knew he'd end up hanging upside down by his balls in the market square instead of playing computer games, watching TV and writing his version of Mein Kampf in a luxury prison.

When do people like you realize that there must be a red line also in the DO-GOODER handbook or whatever you are reading to become so weakend and soft that most likely you would even hug and kiss the killer of your own children and invite him for dinner. This do-gooder philosophy bull$#!t sickens me death!!!

... sickens me to death I wanted to say, of course...

All very self righteous and a maybe a touch holier than thou but putting the victims and their families first I wonder if Breveik would have done what he did if he knew he'd end up hanging upside down by his balls in the market square instead of playing computer games, watching TV and writing his version of Mein Kampf in a luxury prison.

Well said - I'd sign that and have a very lucid vision right now seeing Breivik in the market square smile.png

All very self righteous and a maybe a touch holier than thou but putting the victims and their families firstnstead of playing computer games, watching TV and writing his version of Mein Kampf in a luxury prison.

Well said - I'd sign that and have a very lucid vision right now seeing Breivik in the market square smile.png

how terribly medieval, I suppose you are completely unaware of the vast body of research and evidence that has established that death and torture have absolutely no effect as a deterrent - but on the contrary have the effect of "

Hanged for a sheep as a lamb"

Edited by cowslip

Cowslip, I am assuming that the victim's families will not receive closure after seeing the killer of their children walk away to live another day in complete safety and security along with 3 meals a day and free medical care paid for by their own tax dollars. How would you feel if this happened to your loved ones? It is easy to judge when a tragedy happens to another person's family but when it hits home then the pain and anger deepens.

No - you're implying that if the man was either tortured or executed the families would find closure - I think you are making wild assumptions based on absolutely no knowledge of how to counsel people in this situation.

and I experience would suggest that it is doubtful if you really know how YOU"D feel let alone the victims. How you think you could guess at my feelings or anyone else's is beyond me and really out of line with this topic. - I think you are making your rash assumptions without any knowledge or thought about what happens to the victims and families in these situations at all.

You are just guessing and making potentially HARMFUL assumptions about the aftermath........even to yourself - you need to adopt a healthier approach to this or you could end up screwing yourself up too.

Firstly you need to focus less on the perpetrator - diffuse your anger and concentrate on what can be done for the VICTIMS (i.e.. survivors and deceased's families). Running around like a headless chicken calling for outrageous punishments and what is essentially revenge, doesn't help anyone - least of all the victims.

May i suggest you contact such organisations as Victim Support Norway, or even STARTTS - service for the treatment and rehabilitation of torture and trauma survivors - they will give you the REAL picture and fill you in on what is REALLY happening to the survivors and victims - and believe me it ain't anywhere near as simple as you think.

Edited by cowslip

All very self righteous and a maybe a touch holier than thou but putting the victims and their families firstnstead of playing computer games, watching TV and writing his version of Mein Kampf in a luxury prison.

how terribly medieval, I suppose you are completely unaware of the vast body of research and evidence that has established that death and torture have absolutely no effect as a deterrent - but on the contrary have the effect of "

Hanged for a sheep as a lamb"

No - it has the effect of closure and justice being done on the victims' parents, families and friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sentence would have been to release Breivik, dressed in shorts and t-shirt (just like his victims) in the center of the island, give him 60 seconds before the signal sounds, and have the victim's parents waiting along the beach armed with rifles to hunt him down like a dog or do whatever they think they want to do with him. "Eye for an eye" would work out so beautifully in this case and definitely would be the only "cure" for Breivik and the victims' families.

Cowslip, I am assuming that the victim's families will not receive closure after seeing the killer of their children walk away to live another day in complete safety and security along with 3 meals a day and free medical care paid for by their own tax dollars. How would you feel if this happened to your loved ones? It is easy to judge when a tragedy happens to another person's family but when it hits home then the pain and anger deepens.

No - you're implying that if the man was either tortured or executed the families would find closure - I think you are making wild assumptions based on absolutely no knowledge of how to counsel people in this situation.

and I doubt if you really know how YOU"D feel let alone the victims or myself or anybody else - why don't you just keep your rash assumptions to yourself until you've given the matter some thought?

Ok, we will send the families of the 77 victims to your home for counselling and after we will see what you write then...

"and seriously AND PERMANENTLY twisted in the head" - suddenly everyone's a psychiatrist?

You obviously are not... perhaps you could counsel Breivik a little and have some coffee with him after he's finished his daily guitar lesson... You seriously think that Breivik is sane or what are you implying here????

"and seriously AND PERMANENTLY twisted in the head" - suddenly everyone's a psychiatrist?

Don't need to be a pychiatrist to say that, everyone with a modicum of life experience can get it.

Personally i am not advocating torture, but IMHO breivik cannot be rehabilitated, not even in a 1000 years of luxury prison,

Should he gain some kind of human consciousness, he would kill himself soon after realizing what he had done.

• Like 2

Don't need to be a pychiatrist to say that, everyone with a modicum of life experience can get it.

Personally i am not advocating torture, but IMHO breivik cannot be rehabilitated, not even in a 1000 years of luxury prison,

Should he gain some kind of human consciousness, he would kill himself soon after realizing what he had done.

Thank god for the sane members in this forum!!!!

Need to stress this again. Imagine what would go through your head if your 16 year old son or daughter has been killed in summer camp execution style with a point blank shot to the head by a person who as a punishment is then been sent here for a mere 21 years: http://www.time.com/...2137368,00.html

One really must be insane if he/she swallows this without pure hatred and anger boiling up not only against Breivik, but also the system awarding the killer of your child with a 21 year holiday in the sun sentence, funded by taxpayers including yourself...

Edited by catweazle

Need to stress this again. Imagine what would go through your head if your 16 year old son or daughter has been killed in summer camp execution style with a point blank shot to the head by a person who as a punishment is then been sent here for a mere 21 years: http://www.time.com/...2137368,00.html

One really must be insane if he/she swallows this without pure hatred and anger boiling up not only against Breivik, but also the system awarding the killer or your child with a 21 year holiday in the sun sentence, funded by taxpayers including yourself...

again you're just feeding your own hatred by concentrating on the perpetrator and not the victims, whose situation is far more complex then you seem to realise.

• Like 1

One really must be insane if he/she swallows this without pure hatred and anger boiling up not only against Breivik, but also the system awarding the killer or your child with a 21 year holiday in the sun sentence, funded by taxpayers including yourself...

again you're just feeding your own hatred by concentrating on the perpetrator and not the victims, whose situation is far more complex then you seem to realise.

"Play that broken record, white boy..."

broken+record.jpg

Edited by catweazle

Great to see a measured response to all this from the Norwegians, rather than the knee-jerk histrionics we see in US and UK.

I think a few people need to familiarise themselves with philosophies and aims of the Norwegian prison system.

I would have thought he forefeited his human rights when he showed no regard for those of others.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I understand there should be no death penalty for people convicted of murder on circumstantial evidence. There should be no death penalty for other types of lesser crimes either. But for crimes of this kind, for multiple murder cases motivated by one's political views that is so similar to terrorism I wish the death penalty was re-instated. I really think that there is a strong chance that if this individual knew he may die for his actions he may have not carry out the killings. But he knew the Norwegian ways. He knew he would be spared and treated with all the respect no matter what he did. He looks and behaves very precious. Egoistic and narcissistic types of his kind can be effectively controlled by strong deterrent of physical pain. I would not only like to see him sentenced to die but to die in agony. How about impaling? Inhumane? Maybe, just as what he did. And that would teach others like him, contemplating multiple murders only for sake of themselves and their views a lesson to be fearful of. Maybe inhumane people need inhumane messages to learn respect for others.

Just read that after 21 years they will look if he is still a danger for society and if so he will get another 5 years and so on and so on ............. I hope he gets real old ( IN JAIL )

exactly... he'll die in jail, so there's no need for people to be up in arms about it

Hold on your horses a bit guys before biting the heads off each other.

Regarding the prison sentence, people here have gotten it halfway right - nothing more.

He is not convicted to jail but containment.

A prison year in Norway is 9 months and the prisoner, if having a good behaviour, can apply for early release after 2/3 of the prison sentence is finished.

In ABB's case where he is convicted to 21 years containment where he has to serve 10 years jail time befor he can apply for release, is a different ball game. That will say that he has to serve at least 10 full years before he is allowed to apply for early release. He will do (at least) 21 full years in prison before he can be released. Upon nearing the end of his time, the court will make an assessment if he still is a danger to society and may add 5 more years to his sentence (they will do the same assessment every time his time is nearing the end). Which will in practice say that he may be residing in jail until he dies.

To the guys that's preaching a bit more old testamently punishment of this guy. Take a deep breath and think about the corner stones of democracy and how it works. It has it's backdraft that is clearly shown in this sentence but the day when a democracy will look away and act outside it's own laws, it ceases to exist as a democracy. Norway won't do this.

I have paid some attention to the court proceedings and read a bit of his manifesto out of curiosity. When you understand his reasoning and way of thinking, it will shed light over the act he commenced and why he did it.

By the way, I am a norwegian and on self imposed exile for the 13th year because of what Norway has turned into.