Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

I got it at the beginning of the month, and I am a yellow book holder, here is my id

I wonder what the card for the yellow-book holders say instead of "PR holder". Do you know any of them and could obtain a copy to post here (minus the personal details)?

Thanks!

First line says: "ID card for person that does not have Thai nationality". Same as my card.

Second line: (Number blacked out)

Third line: "General foreigner". Mine says: ""PR holder". So that is the difference.

Noticing that, I wonder what the card for Cambodian/Laotian citizens say.

May I ask when you got your card issued? And where?

I just got mine in Ban Chang and it also does not have third line which is quite disappointing. The most important thing this card would be to me is proof that I am a permanent resident. Without the third line this is not very obvious though (except for the ID number starting with a 8).

I was the firs PR holder to get he card in Ban Chang. I made a lot of noise about the missing third line and I showed them an example of a card that has the "PR holder" comment on it. My friend with a yellow book got an ID card the same day showing the "general foreigner" comment. So to me that shows that the system supports the possibility to print a third line.

I figure that by now they are getting a bit bored of me and they have told me that the system has changed since the beginning of the year and the card I showed them was from last year and that that is the reason the third line does not print for PR holders.

If your card has the third line and was issued in 2016, it would be very helpful for me to to be able to show it to them. If you could post a picture with all your personal data scratched out it would be great.

I applied at Bangkok, Prakanong District. The card was issued not there but at the Ministry of the Interior and that's why I had to wait a few weeks before I could pick it up. I was the first PR holder to get the card at Prakanong. It was issued in 2015.

I'll do the scanning when I get back to the office, but I am currently travelling and it will take a week.

Thanks!

I got it at the beginning of the month, and I am a yellow book holder, here is my id

First line says: "ID card for person that does not have Thai nationality". Same as my card.

Third line: "General foreigner". Mine says: ""PR holder". So that is the difference.

I just got mine in Ban Chang and it also does not have third line which is quite disappointing. The most important thing this card would be to me is proof that I am a permanent resident. Without the third line this is not very obvious though (except for the ID number starting with a 8).

I was the firs PR holder to get he card in Ban Chang. I made a lot of noise about the missing third line and I showed them an example of a card that has the "PR holder" comment on it. My friend with a yellow book got an ID card the same day showing the "general foreigner" comment. So to me that shows that the system supports the possibility to print a third line.

I figure that by now they are getting a bit bored of me and they have told me that the system has changed since the beginning of the year and the card I showed them was from last year and that that is the reason the third line does not print for PR holders.

If your card has the third line and was issued in 2016, it would be very helpful for me to to be able to show it to them. If you could post a picture with all your personal data scratched out it would be great.

I applied at Bangkok, Prakanong District. The card was issued not there but at the Ministry of the Interior and that's why I had to wait a few weeks bee first PR holder to get the card at Prakanong. It was issued in 2015.

I'll do the scanning when I get back to the office, but I am currently travelling and it will take a week.

Thanks for your reply but if the card is issued in 2015 it does not help my case so don't bother scanning it. I just read back several older posts and it really seems to look like the system has been changed since beginning 2016 and now does not print PR status on the third line anymore.

Seems very strange to me as they are still printing the "general foreigner" status for yellow book holders.

If there is someone reading who has a card with the PR status printed on the third line on a card issued in 2016 it would be interesting to know.

• Like 2

Thanks!

I applied at Bangkok, Prakanong District. The card was issued not there but at the Ministry of the Interior and that's why I had to wait a few weeks bee first PR holder to get the card at Prakanong. It was issued in 2015.

Thanks for your reply but if the card is issued in 2015 it does not help my case so don't bother scanning it. I just read back several older posts and it really seems to look like the system has been changed since beginning 2016 and now does not print PR status on the third line anymore.

Seems very strange to me as they are still printing the "general foreigner" status for yellow book holders.

If there is someone reading who has a card with the PR status printed on the third line on a card issued in 2016 it would be interesting to know.

You are correct! They shouldn't have changed the front of the card....The back of the card should reflect the true status of the card holder as well. I've been around Thais now for 46 years and as the saying goes...."You can tell a Thai but not very much"!

Edited by johnh869

About a month or two ago I was called back to my district office via my lawyer. They said the system had changed and that I needed to be iasued a new pink ID card. I went there gave them the old one, which was originally issued in 2015, and they gave me a new one. It does not say PR Holder on the third line it. On the 2nd line there is now a number sequence starting with the number "8". The card is good for 10 years. And has, I think, more detailed holograms for security purpose. No change to the back.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

About a month or two ago I was called back to my district office via my lawyer. They said the system had changed and that I needed to be iasued a new pink ID card. I went there gave them the old one, which was originally issued in 2015, and they gave me a new one. It does not say PR Holder on the third line it. On the 2nd line there is now a number sequence starting with the number "8". The card is good for 10 years. And has, I think, more detailed holograms for security purpose. No change to the back.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That's a pity. If the card no more tells your status as being PR, what good in having it anymore?

That's a pity. If the card no more tells your status as being PR, what good in having it anymore?

It's good for all of us none-PRs that have the card. We can now pretend we are :D.

Got one last month in BKK. So far had no chance to test it in a 500B tourist trap. That may be the only purpose for this card, but haven't seen any reports about Thai price when presenting the card as a no longer accepted drivers license in the past.

I have been told by some, and I completely disagree by the way, that if you get one of these you don't need to do 90 day report anymore because their wives read the card and said so.

It has nothing to do with their wives. If you have PR, you don't need to do 90-day report any more, regardless of whether you have the ID card or not.

There are many official issues, from opening a bank account to renewing a driver's licence, for which you can use the pink ID card but not the driver's licence. Without the pink ID card, you need to carry your passport, Alien Book, and whatnot with you, as has been mentioned in this thread several times.

Edited by onthemoon
  • Like 1

I have been told by some, and I completely disagree by the way, that if you get one of these you don't need to do 90 day report anymore because their wives read the card and said so.

It has nothing to do with their wives. If you have PR, you don't need to do 90-day report any more, regardless of whether you have the ID card or not.

There are many official issues, from opening a bank account to renewing a driver's licence, for which you can use the pink ID card but not the driver's licence. Without the pink ID card, you need to carry your passport, Alien Book, and whatnot with you, as has been mentioned in this thread several times.

If the guy tells me his wife read the card and told him he doesn't need to do 90 day reports then isn't that what I said.

The guys in question don't have PR but are now talking about getting these cards because they believe it will mean no more 90 day reports.

If the guy tells me his wife read the card and told him he doesn't need to do 90 day reports then isn't that what I said.

The guys in question don't have PR but are now talking about getting these cards because they believe it will mean no more 90 day reports.

Nothing exempts a person who is on a temporary permit to stay from doing reports of staying longer than 90 days in the country other than not staying here that long.

The pink ID card says nothing about the 90-day report. I wonder what the wife read...

• Haha 1

Tried to use my new pink id card today at the Sattahip Naval Base to view the ship, was stopped at the entrance, the officers in charge told my wife entrance is only for Thai citizens !! They had a good look at the Id card but not good lol we left immediately. Apparently Foreign visitors require permission from Royal Thai Navy ) oh well TIT

How much effort is involved in taking along pp/alien book etc when opening a bank account? Answer - none at all. Sensible to take them along anyway as even with pink id card might well have to produce at least pp.I've never carried anything except documents scans in my iphone - and never been asked for them.LIfetime driving license works well at parks etc.

But an interesting question remains.Are PR holders required to carry passport around? If the answer is definitely yes (though I never have), then I would procure a pink id.

How much effort is involved in taking along pp/alien book etc when opening a bank account? Answer - none at all. Sensible to take them along anyway as even with pink id card might well have to produce at least pp.I've never carried anything except documents scans in my iphone - and never been asked for them.LIfetime driving license works well at parks etc.

But an interesting question remains.Are PR holders required to carry passport around? If the answer is definitely yes (though I never have), then I would procure a pink id.

No, you don't need the PP to open a bank account if you have the pink ID card. Anyway, there is no obligation to have the card, even though the regulations actually stipulates that.

Once you have the pink ID card, you have to carry it. Like the Thais have to carry their ID card. You do not need the PP any more.

• Like 1

I was wondering if it is possible to get this card in bangkok, having a red book and thabian baan in korat? any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

I don't really know, that's why I didn't answer yesterday. But my thought is that if Thai people have to get their ID at the Amphur/Khet where they are registered (as per tabien baan) then the same would apply for pink-card holders.

• Like 1

No, you don't need the PP to open a bank account if you have the pink ID card. Anyway, there is no obligation to have the card, even though the regulations actually stipulates that.

Once you have the pink ID card, you have to carry it. Like the Thais have to carry their ID card. You do not need the PP any more.

With respect I simply do not agree that even holders of the pink card would never be asked to show their passport when opening a bank account.In any case it's a non issue since it is so easy to take along a passport.

But my question remains unanswered - do PRs have to carry their passports around with them? I was advised not - possibly wrongly - and in practical terms a lifetime driving license has been sufficient.

But I can absolutely see the point of keeping a pink id in ones wallet in these uncertain times.

I don't know how opening a bank account with the pink card would work since our name is not printed in English. Surely it would mean that Thai would be the primary language of the account and they would need some other document to get the English spelling? In my case, Immigration got the Thai spelling of my name wrong on the Residence Book, so it doesn't correctly reflect the English spelling (i.e. "Cameraka").

I've had mixed results checking into hotels with a driving licence. Often, they have a specific registration form for Thai or foreign guests, and so they prefer a passport for foreigners. Even with a passport I get asked about a visa or "Where is your white Immigration card?"

I don't know how opening a bank account with the pink card would work since our name is not printed in English. Surely it would mean that Thai would be the primary language of the account and they would need some other document to get the English spelling? In my case, Immigration got the Thai spelling of my name wrong on the Residence Book, so it doesn't correctly reflect the English spelling (i.e. "Cameraka").

I've had mixed results checking into hotels with a driving licence. Often, they have a specific registration form for Thai or foreign guests, and so they prefer a passport for foreigners. Even with a passport I get asked about a visa or "Where is your white Immigration card?"

Yes, the bank account that I opened with the pink ID card shows my name in Thai.

You won't have problems checking in at hotels if you use the pink ID card instead of your PP without TM card, or your driver's licence.

• Like 1

Yes, the bank account that I opened with the pink ID card shows my name in Thai.

You won't have problems checking in at hotels if you use the pink ID card instead of your PP without TM card, or your driver's licence.

If you book through Agoda etc do you type your info in Thai?