Ombudsman Threatens To Take Thaksin Passport Issue To Court

webfact

Ombudsman seems quite determined here, does he have a political agenda? What's the point in going to the Prime Minister and Parliament on an issue regarding their del facto leader. But yes, it would be an interesting slap in the face if Yingluck passes the buck to her ruling parliament to green light, only to be taken down by the courts.

A dream come tru for some of us.
  • Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just would like to know how many laws you have to break to issue a passport to a criminal on the run

people know my opinions about the case, but he was found guilty, so how can he get a passport?

When will you guys wake up? Taksin is not a criminal by any rational Juristic persons standards other than the system of justice corrupted by the Democrat conspiracy at that time. Everything since Taksin's conviction is orchestrated by Democrat conspirators who continue to hope that Taksin is further damaged or even destroyed. Anyone in Thailand that is copus mentos will know that is irrational. In fact what the Democrats seek woulhat d probably Damage Thailand even more seriously than the damage that they already caused.

Indyuk, are you this poorly read on all subjects you comment on?

• Like 1

In a related development:

RT @tulsathit: Chalerm: I'm not stripping Thaksin of his police rank. Instead, I'll make him a police general. Don't like it? Censure me in Parliament.

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5743751

Interesting position for Police Captain Chalerm to take regarding Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin.

Meanwhile the years go by with no action on his police rank nor his royal decorations.....

still waiting as it comes up on 4 years now on the police rank and 5 years on for his royal decorations.

We're still waiting for his rank to be stripped and his royal decorations to be returned....

Still waiting nearly 3 years on...

Pol. Maj-Gen. Panya Aengchuan, commander of the police department's disciplinary division, said a proposal to strip Mr. Thaksin of his police rank of lieutenant-colonel would be sent to National Police Commissioner Pol. Gen. Patcharawat for his consideration.

Noting that a court had already judged and imposed a two-year imprisonment on the ousted premier minister, Gen. Panya said Mr. Thaksin is found to be in breach of police regulations, which stipulates that a police officer's rank must be stripped if the person is convicted and escapes to avoid imprisonment.

On October 21, the Supreme Court' found former police officer Thaksin guilty of a conflict of interest and sentenced him in absentia to two years in jail.

-- TNA 2009-01-08

AND...

Thaksin willing to return royal decorations

The Nation - October 13, 2008

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will likely agree to return all of his royal decorations if required to by law, Government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said yesterday.

If Thaksin fails to appeal the Supreme Court's guilty verdict and two-year jail sentence against him in the Ratchadaphisek land case, the Knight Grand Commander (Second Class, higher grade) of the Most Illustrious Order of Chula Chom Klao would need to be recalled.

A PM's Office decree endorsed by then-PM Thaksin in August 2005 gives eight criteria for the recalling of royal decorations, including if a person is convicted by the highest court and ordered to serve time in prison.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Epilogue: Thaksin DID fail to appeal his guilty verdict, but has never complied with the recall law he himself signed.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

I just would like to know how many laws you have to break to issue a passport to a criminal on the run

people know my opinions about the case, but he was found guilty, so how can he get a passport?

When will you guys wake up? Taksin is not a criminal by any rational Juristic persons standards other than the system of justice corrupted by the Democrat conspiracy at that time. Everything since Taksin's conviction is orchestrated by Democrat conspirators who continue to hope that Taksin is further damaged or even destroyed. Anyone in Thailand that is copus mentos will know that is irrational. In fact what the Democrats seek woulhat d probably Damage Thailand even more seriously than the damage that they already caused.

He is a criminal until any conviction is overturned by a court with appropriate authority. The issue here is has another law or laws been broken in issuing a passport to a fugitive. If so, the passport must be cancelled and those breaking the law dealt with in accordance with the law.

He can't.

That's the exact point the Ombudsman Office is making.

The Cousin Foreign Minister violated the Foreign Ministry's own rules.

The problem is Thailand's feudal legal and administrative structure. There is a perfectly good set of rules that forbids the MoFA from issuing passports to criminals on the run but it is all negated by the fact that the minister has discretion to override it all. This is essentially unchanged from the days of absolute monarchy. I think the Ombudsman would do better to make this a general case regarding all the criminals on the run that are still allowed Thai passports, including Wattana Asavahame and Somchai Khuenplume. That would make more of an issue of principle than a personal attack on Thaksin.

• Like 1

There isn't a hope in hell he will surrender it, nor the parliament (Shinawatra puppets) voting to revoke it - right now it will be in the success of the ombudsman's hands. He certainly does not need it with the few spares he has. What I don't understand is why the Dems have not issued a vote of no confidence against the PTP, the most imbecillic mismanaged bunch of buffoons ever to be called a government! shock1.gif

Do you mean the Dems or the PTP are buffons?

The Dems have never had a mandate from the people & were not that brilliant when they did hold power (by proxy).

I thought the "right of birth" in a country ensured the right for a passport?

Why is everyone against Thaksin? He is the only person that has had a popular mandate from the people in Thailand that I know about. GO THAKSIN!!!

He is a criminal until any conviction is overturned by a court with appropriate authority. The issue here is has another law or laws been broken in issuing a passport to a fugitive. If so, the passport must be cancelled and those breaking the law dealt with in accordance with the law.

And suppose his latest arrest warrant will strengthen the case to cancel his passport....but suppose some of TV finest loyalists will suggest this one is politically motivated as well...whistling.gif

• Like 1

He is the only person that has had a popular mandate from the people in Thailand that I know about. GO THAKSIN!!!

and another arrest warrant it seems

Yes. And there seems to be a number of Thaksin supporters who think that a vote is the be all & end all of democracy. When the leader of a country of a country is above the law, there is a word for his status: 'dictator' I think is the word but I'm sure that I will be corrected by those who know better.

There isn't a hope in hell he will surrender it, nor the parliament (Shinawatra puppets) voting to revoke it - right now it will be in the success of the ombudsman's hands. He certainly does not need it with the few spares he has. What I don't understand is why the Dems have not issued a vote of no confidence against the PTP, the most imbecillic mismanaged bunch of buffoons ever to be called a government! shock1.gif

The Dems have never had a mandate from the people & were not that brilliant when they did hold power (by proxy).

Why is everyone against Thaksin? He is the only person that has had a popular mandate from the people in Thailand that I know about. GO THAKSIN!!!

They had the mandate to govern via their peers in the house who won their seats in the same election that the two preceding Thaksin govenment spawns also won, elected the same way.

AS to the original question. This fugitive criminal should have been nailed in the 2001 "Madam borrowed our names" rip off wher the ruling judges at the time were threatened into ruling in his mob's behaviour. He was a festering scab to Thailand by 2006 and should have been dealt to then.

Popular Court Decisions - Coming to a dictatorship near you.

SMS "Not Guilty" to 1800GOTHAKSIN if you want to let Thaksin off, or

SMS "Guilty as Sin" to 1800GOTOJAIL if you want Thaksin to go to jail.

Voting closes on Friday Midnight when the judges will announce the result.

• Like 2

cheesy.gif they may even be able to get the lady back who did the naked boobie painting act for the televised results show...biggrin.png

Indyuk, are you this poorly read on all subjects you comment on?

I particularly like the malapropism " copus mentos " ROTFLOL.

http://en.wikipedia..../Copus_massacre

http://www.mentos.com/

Maybe we need habeas corpus

to decipher the meaning within?

Also enjoyed the miss-appropriation of " juristic person "

: a body of persons, a corporation, a partnership, or other legal entity that is recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties —called also artificial person, conventional person, fictitious person

And truly the majority of us who are

compos mentis : adj. Of sound mind; sane

would agree this aliteration above his hardly rationally held.

Edited by animatic

cheesy.gif they may even be able to get the lady back who did the naked boobie painting act for the televised results show...biggrin.png

A word of caution to all of you punters out there. If you vote 1800GOTHAKSIN, remember we, the brethren, have your number. you have been warned.

Dear comserve,

Suggest you do some additional research, back at least 10 years, more would be better, you might just see a better perspective.

Passport - All passports, after issue remain in fact the property of the commonwealth / the people of that country, with the government of the day responsible for their administration.

The law, just by common sense allows that the country can and should deny some people a passport. Certainly not for political reasons but there are other reasons - a danger to humanity, a danger to children, multiple convictions for serious offences, perhaps including violence, etc. Also withdrawal of passport for various reasons, example a person waiting court appearance for serious crimes but allowed out on bail.

in most countries with a functioning system, if you have an outstanding warrant or conviction at home they will happily arrest you in the embassy when you go to get your passport renewed.

The state convicts you, it isn't as though they help you continue your jolly on the run. Hundreds of people per year are caught for warrants they never even knew existed when they pop into get their passport renewed.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

A word of caution to all of you punters out there. If you vote 1800GOTHAKSIN, remember we, the brethren, have your number. you have been warned.

Dear all,

the PM has given me another task to be completed in three months. Round up all undesirables who SMS incorrectly in the Popular Court Decision.

Your faithfully,

Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm

(PS for those who doubt a lot, this is sarcasm only of course)

Edited by rubl

He can't.

The problem is Thailand's feudal legal and administrative structure. There is a perfectly good set of rules that forbids the MoFA from issuing passports to criminals on the run but it is all negated by the fact that the minister has discretion to override it all. This is essentially unchanged from the days of absolute monarchy. I think the Ombudsman would do better to make this a general case regarding all the criminals on the run that are still allowed Thai passports, including Wattana Asavahame and Somchai Khuenplume. That would make more of an issue of principle than a personal attack on Thaksin.

I'm unaware that fugitives Wattana or Somchai have been re-issued new passports by the Foreign Minister.

AFAIK, that has only happened for Thaksin.

He can't.

I'm unaware that fugitives Wattana or Somchai have been re-issued new passports by the Foreign Minister.

AFAIK, that has only happened for Thaksin.

Well therein lies one very very possible sticky precedent that maybe lying in several governments cupboard full of skeletons.

You mean it was OK to help himself to that huge chunk of land at well below the market price, ripping off the taxpayers who had bailed out the finance company that went bust holding it?

People still believe that since PT is the current government, Thaksin (a criminal on the run) should receive his passport back.

Well that's as maybe. Change the law so convicted criminals on the run can be issued passports and jobs a good un.

THAILAND IS A F#$%#&G JOKE !

Given that a Thaksin sycophant administration is in power, i would have much more worry dialing GOTOJAIL.

OTOH it is the duty of good men to speak up against evil lest it flourish, so I'd take the risk.

BTW I must ask what leads a person given an Australian education, reasonable by most standards, to support a man with an ongoing habit of theft from the people of Thailand to the tune of billions of Baht?