Any Action In Lahan Sai?

m3dave

ill be spending a couple of weeks in lahan sai, after googleing there, i think i know the answer, but does anyone know better, any bars, any girls, anything to do , or am i going to have to be a good boy, any ideas id be grateful for , cheers guys

i am sure there would be "bai nawn na" some local girls willing to go to the rice farmers shack to offer some relief for a few hundred baht.

have a look for the two youngish girls smiling and giggling whilst hooning around on their motorcycle,they have the dyed hair.

Edited by macksview

Theres a small cluster of around 5 karaoke bars just outside the town. Take the road to the left of 7/11 and its 2 minutes down there on the left, part of a motel complex. They are open everyday and will stay open as long as you are buying drink and a couple of the girls are actually decent looking if your looking for that. ( if your visiting your girls family it seems strange to want to do this however, that and your almost certain to get caught.)

In the town there is one farrang bar, owned by a Swiss guy. Very quiet except Saturdays when about a dozen farrangs chat over beers while their misses is in the market. Food is decent and insanely cheap.

When are you going?

Theres a small cluster of around 5 karaoke bars just outside the town. Take the road to the left of 7/11 and its 2 minutes down there on the left, part of a motel complex. They are open everyday and will stay open as long as you are buying drink and a couple of the girls are actually decent looking if your looking for that. ( if your visiting your girls family it seems strange to want to do this however, that and your almost certain to get caught.)

In the town there is one farrang bar, owned by a Swiss guy. Very quiet except Saturdays when about a dozen farrangs chat over beers while their misses is in the market. Food is decent and insanely cheap.

When are you going?

The Swiss owner died 2 or 3 months ago, but his Thai manager has continued and has also added a pool table and, it would seem, turns out good European and Thai food. I think his reliability and his ability to speak quite good English will help him build a regular customer base, especially with the annual influx from Europe, which starts about now.

Saturday is his biggest day, as his place is adjacent to the Saturday market and he gets a fairly multi-national crowd.

Four shophouses up is the bait and tackle shop which also does cold beer - Leo cans @30B, Leo big bottles @ 50B. The folk who own this have also recently built and opened a small resort, but I don't know about price or how well the rooms are equipped.

• Like 1

When are you going?

The Swiss owner died 2 or 3 months ago, but his Thai manager has continued and has also added a pool table and, it would seem, turns out good European and Thai food. I think his reliability and his ability to speak quite good English will help him build a regular customer base, especially with the annual influx from Europe, which starts about now.

Saturday is his biggest day, as his place is adjacent to the Saturday market and he gets a fairly multi-national crowd.

Four shophouses up is the bait and tackle shop which also does cold beer - Leo cans @30B, Leo big bottles @ 50B. The folk who own this have also recently built and opened a small resort, but I don't know about price or how well the rooms are equipped.

Good post richard, sorry to hear of the owner dieing but pool table will be cool on for when we come over in New year.

On that topic, as you live local seemingly, do you fancy adding anything to this topic!? -

Especially accommodation wise, this resort sounds interesting you mention.

Really helpful!

Got the catering, drink and music sorted now. Just accommodation to do and keen to stay in the town. Some of the travellers havn`t been further than Benidorm and I need to be sensible about where to put them. If theres a bar and farrang food nearby we will be fine. This bait and tackle shop sounds a plan for drinks also, but I was geuinely impressed with the food in that Swiss place before.

PS is this resort actually in the town?

Edited by tullynagardy

• 2 weeks later...

The only resort (that I know of) is out of the town about 1km towards Nang Rong. Not much of a "resort" but the rooms are clean and the aircon is nice when it is 33 degrees C outside. Price was about 600 Baht per night but that was a couple of years ago.

When are you going?

Good post richard, sorry to hear of the owner dieing but pool table will be cool on for when we come over in New year.

On that topic, as you live local seemingly, do you fancy adding anything to this topic!? - http://www.thaivisa....an-sai-wedding/

Especially accommodation wise, this resort sounds interesting you mention.

Give me a few days, and I'll talk to the boss-man and ask him to show me the rooms. I did not respond to the Lahansai wedding post as I have no idea how many foreign guests you need to feed or if you need Thai food too. It's always a bit tricky recommending stuff like this. I assume that your bride-to-be comes from Lahansai, and if this is the case, she probably has family here, (in abundance), and they would/might/should know how to cater such an event and whom to employ.

If your non-Thai guests are new visitors to Thailand, or if they live here and cannot handle Issan or Chinese food, which is normally served, then you could call someone in, but if you get the right catering organisation and explain that you require some items sufficiently bland for foreign palates, they'll probably be able to oblige.

As a personal comment, I've normally found the food at such events, if done by a professional caterer, to be quite acceptable to all the guests. It just needs a bit of planning prior to the event.

And if all fails, you could always take them to the (ex) Swiss guy's place, where they'd find something to please them. Get your bride-to-be to check out the caterers and get a quote for the number of tables (number of guests) and a choice of menus, oh yes, and the price! Also consider if you're putting beer and/or whiskey on each table + soft drinks and, very specifically, if that will be in their supply or yours. The quality and quantity should be your decision and you'd be wise to consider a "sale or return" contract with a local supplier. Be aware also, that Issan folk consider that any un-drunk bottles are there to be taken home at the end of the fun, so putting too much of too high a quality might not be wise.

Thought about the sound stage and dancing troupe, have you? Something else to consider - together with an MC (babble master, as I call them) to shout the proceedings into a mammoth sound system. Think about what you want, be clear about it, set a budget, and enjoy.

Or call it off and register your marriage at the Amphurs office and have a beer or two at the bait and tackle shop. (This is what me and my much beloved did - never regretted it - and squandered the money saved on stuff that we benefited from).

As the Thais say - "up to you"!

nice informative post,but i am sorry,not flaming or being a snob,but only a certain group of thai people say "up to you",i have only heard it from those who have been exposed to farangs in the "dazzling" places further south.

as i said nice post,but to me "up to you" and the equally horrible "same same" need to be left where they were learnt.

Give me a few days, and I'll talk to the boss-man and ask him to show me the rooms. I did not respond to the Lahansai wedding post as I have no idea how many foreign guests you need to feed or if you need Thai food too. It's always a bit tricky recommending stuff like this. I assume that your bride-to-be comes from Lahansai, and if this is the case, she probably has family here, (in abundance), and they would/might/should know how to cater such an event and whom to employ.

If your non-Thai guests are new visitors to Thailand, or if they live here and cannot handle Issan or Chinese food, which is normally served, then you could call someone in, but if you get the right catering organisation and explain that you require some items sufficiently bland for foreign palates, they'll probably be able to oblige.

As a personal comment, I've normally found the food at such events, if done by a professional caterer, to be quite acceptable to all the guests. It just needs a bit of planning prior to the event.

And if all fails, you could always take them to the (ex) Swiss guy's place, where they'd find something to please them. Get your bride-to-be to check out the caterers and get a quote for the number of tables (number of guests) and a choice of menus, oh yes, and the price! Also consider if you're putting beer and/or whiskey on each table + soft drinks and, very specifically, if that will be in their supply or yours. The quality and quantity should be your decision and you'd be wise to consider a "sale or return" contract with a local supplier. Be aware also, that Issan folk consider that any un-drunk bottles are there to be taken home at the end of the fun, so putting too much of too high a quality might not be wise.

Thought about the sound stage and dancing troupe, have you? Something else to consider - together with an MC (babble master, as I call them) to shout the proceedings into a mammoth sound system. Think about what you want, be clear about it, set a budget, and enjoy.

Or call it off and register your marriage at the Amphurs office and have a beer or two at the bait and tackle shop. (This is what me and my much beloved did - never regretted it - and squandered the money saved on stuff that we benefited from).

As the Thais say - "up to you"!

nice informative post,but i am sorry,not flaming or being a snob,but only a certain group of thai people say "up to you",i have only heard it from those who have been exposed to farangs in the "dazzling" places further south.

as i said nice post,but to me "up to you" and the equally horrible "same same" need to be left where they were learnt.

Are you implying that those groups of Thai people that say "up to you" are coming from a lower strata of society and/or are generally bar girls and hookers? (exposed to farangs in the "dazzling" places further South - presumably Bangkok (Patpong, Cowboy, Nana) and Pattaya)

Not calling you a snob but ..............

Heres the guy taking time out of his day to help others and you come in with your pathetic little jibes.

Are you so stupid you cannot see such comments show it is YOU that obviously has something lacking in your life? In your effort to look down on someone you show you are beneath them.

Heres the guy taking time out of his day to help others and you come in with your pathetic little jibes.

Are you so stupid you cannot see such comments show it is YOU that obviously has something lacking in your life? In your effort to look down on someone you show you are beneath them.

not looking down at anyone just commenting,that is language commonly heard in the bar areas,i certainly dont look down at people,i just dislike the pidgin thai/english learnt in bars.it can place people in certain strata of society,i care nothing about who met who where,it is their choice.

i certainly would not regard it is a jibe,if i wanted to be base about it,i could have been.

as i stated the post was informative and relevant.

,i just dislike the pidgin thai/english learnt in bars.

Opposed to the fluent English spoken by people in Issan? ermm.gif (you are in the Issan section of the site)

When Im in Issan Im just quietly grateful when someone speaks pidgen English better than my pidgin Thai/Issan. I`m not remotely concerned with how they learnt it.

Maybe you were just having a bad day when you wrote that, but so many guys on this site seem to over compensate to show their gf isnt a former sex worker, paradoxically it just suggests to others she maybe was! Boasts of Chinese Thai, Degrees, Wealth etc. Its all just a little sad and unneccessary.

Live and let live eh?

Off subject--- Thai's are taught from an early age to defer to anyone of higher status. "UP to you" seems to me to be a natural English translation to what they would say to their older brother, parents, boss etc. As for "same same", its just a natural translation of เหมือน ๆ which means similar.

yes agreed,but its not correct use of english.

when in country,i often help the nieces and their friends with english,i try so hard to make sure they say things correctly,they are uni students but hell its like pulling teeth at times.

one of them came up with the "same same",her parents run a bridal shop,so i imagine thats where she picked up that saying,it took an hour to convince her it was not correct english.

i dont mean to insult anyone,it is just a pet hate,that the worst of our language is passed onto others.

when i am corrected on my use of thai or lao,i accept it and try to correct it,and so i do the same for the thais i deal with in english language.

i can imagine my wife using "same same" at her work overseas,instead of correct english,it would be a disaster.

Language evolves with time, just like populations in countries. I remember coming off a TG flight at Thief-row and betting an American guy that the first 5 people he hears in England won't be speaking English....... I won the bet!

Every country has slang so why not Thailand?

Off subject--- Thai's are taught from an early age to defer to anyone of higher status. "UP to you" seems to me to be a natural English translation to what they would say to their older brother, parents, boss etc. As for "same same", its just a natural translation of เหมือน ๆ which means similar.

Likewise "up to you" is a direct translation of "leaw dare koon".

Wonder if the poster would understand that if someone said it to him.

yes agreed,but its not correct use of english.

when in country,i often help the nieces and their friends with english,i try so hard to make sure they say things correctly,they are uni students but hell its like pulling teeth at times.

one of them came up with the "same same",her parents run a bridal shop,so i imagine thats where she picked up that saying,it took an hour to convince her it was not correct english.

i dont mean to insult anyone,it is just a pet hate,that the worst of our language is passed onto others.

when i am corrected on my use of thai or lao,i accept it and try to correct it,and so i do the same for the thais i deal with in english language.

i can imagine my wife using "same same" at her work overseas,instead of correct english,it would be a disaster.

Wow you are pretty anal aren't you