Am I A Cheap Charlie If I Don't Tip?

meatballs

50 baht per hour is a pretty good wage for unskilled work.

That might be true if they were working 8 hours per day, but they don't. They spend a lot of unpaid time waiting for a customer with no compensation at all.

When I am broke, I avoid places where a tip is expected - just like I did in the USA. If one can not afford a 50 baht tip for massage, they should skip the massage until they have more money.

And to a retired person who has no additional source of income nor hope of an increase in the future...........your decree is that they are never entitled to have a massage because they cannot afford to tip.

• Like 1

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That might be true if they were working 8 hours per day, but they don't. They spend a lot of unpaid time waiting for a customer with no compensation at all.

When I am broke, I avoid places where a tip is expected - just like I did in the USA. If one can not afford a 50 baht tip for massage, they should skip the massage until they have more money.

And to a retired person who has no additional source of income nor hope of an increase in the future...........your decree is that they are never entitled to have a massage because they cannot afford to tip.

I'm not buying that line at all. We are not talking a lot of money here. You are saying they can't afford it? If you can't afford something then you should probably do without. If you really need something then you need to decide what uppity can do without so that you can afford what you really need. I can tell you that getting a massage is not something that those without mean do regularly if at all in the west.

• Like 1

There are plenty of people all over the world who live without massages. A massage is not an inalienable human right. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Don't you just love the people with loads of money who can do what they like when they like and drop 100,200,or even 1000 Baht tips like confetti? I don't even like massages, as I said earlier in the thread, tried it once, didn't like it, won't be back for more BUT I object to being told that a tip must be paid in addition to paying the going rate for any service. I am not a student of economics, why is it necessary for me to calculate whether or not the service provider is being paid a living wage when I buy a service and to then have to work out how much more I need to tip just so they can survive? A tip is a tip and should be given as a gratuity for good service, not as a measure as to whether or not a person is a cheap charlie. Quite frankly those with pots of money on here are the Cheap Charlie's as they can afford to tip way more but tip only what they think they can get away with without looking cheap!

• Like 2

Don't you just love the people with loads of money who can do what they like when they like and drop 100,200,or even 1000 Baht tips like confetti? I don't even like massages, as I said earlier in the thread, tried it once, didn't like it, won't be back for more BUT I object to being told that a tip must be paid in addition to paying the going rate for any service. I am not a student of economics, why is it necessary for me to calculate whether or not the service provider is being paid a living wage when I buy a service and to then have to work out how much more I need to tip just so they can survive? A tip is a tip and should be given as a gratuity for good service, not as a measure as to whether or not a person is a cheap charlie. Quite frankly those with pots of money on here are the Cheap Charlie's as they can afford to tip way more but tip only what they think they can get away with without looking cheap!

The reality is that the lower prices in Soi Boukow more specifically 200baht for an oil massage where as 300 baht just about everywhere else in Pattaya mean that the women depend on tips to survive.

Now you can complain that the massage shops shouldnt use the hook of 200baht an hour and expect you to tip but the fact is that is how it is.

If you dont like tipping dont go to the cheaper places as they will not be happy and will not give good service if they find out there is no tip forthcoming.

That is the reality.

All the other blather coming from posters is just a bunch of CCs trying to justify their exploitation of cheap thai labour.

The reality is that the lower prices in Soi Boukow more specifically 200baht for an oil massage where as 300 baht just about everywhere else in Pattaya mean that the women depend on tips to survive.

Now you can complain that the massage shops shouldnt use the hook of 200baht an hour and expect you to tip but the fact is that is how it is.

If you dont like tipping dont go to the cheaper places as they will not be happy and will not give good service if they find out there is no tip forthcoming.

That is the reality.

All the other blather coming from posters is just a bunch of CCs trying to justify their exploitation of cheap thai labour.

Is I said here and before, I don't even like massages and therefore don't go, it's the principle that I am talking about. Tip or no tip should only be about good or bad service not the fact they need it to survive.

Yawn, yet another simplistic stereotype of an entire nation.

Stereo type or not, I find Thai people in Pattaya are not very polite. Perhaps they have an attitude here and it's different elsewhere???

I've had to reduce my politeness to a lower level to cope because I don't like greeting people who completely ignore me.

The level of service and politeness is quite good in places like Central but when you do business outside in small business operations it is pretty much hit and miss.

I am normally out with my TGF which means I usually get good service. I have noticed that when alone as a farang I have had more bad experiences with service levels. I think if you get outside the tourist areas of Pattaya then service levels improve.

Part of the problem in Pattaya is that many of the farang customers themselves lack basic social skills and this then reflects badly on all other farangs.

And they spend most of this time watching tv, sleeping, or eating som tam. This is a luxury those poor guys and gals on the construction sites balancing on state of the art bamboo scaffolding risking life and limb for 200 baht per day do not have, ever.

• Like 2

That is the reality.

What about the Thais that exploit cheap Thai labour, what about the Thais that exploit cheap Burmese or Cambodian labour are they CC's?

Go and visit any building site and see the way these people are exploited, paid less than minimum wage, thats if they are lucky, sometimes they dont get paid at all.

Too many knights in shining armour riding into town on their white horses willing to turn a blind eye to the human misery and exploitation that is Pattaya.

• Like 1

I'm not buying that line at all. We are not talking a lot of money here. You are saying they can't afford it? If you can't afford something then you should probably do without. If you really need something then you need to decide what uppity can do without so that you can afford what you really need. I can tell you that getting a massage is not something that those without mean do regularly if at all in the west.

Bingo! Many people who don't have a truck load of money retire to Thailand so they can afford a lifestyle they cannot afford at home.

Sure, you may not be in this category, but many are. If they take a massage and don't tip they are still helping to keep these establishments alive.

Top post of the thread!

I think the reality of these cheap Soi Buakhao places is somewhat different. They are fronts for non-massage activities.

I think the reality of these cheap Soi Buakhao places is somewhat different. They are fronts for non-massage activities.

I was in Pattaya last week, just off soi BK there was a joint advertising 80 baht massages.

These girls looked about as qualified to give a massage as me.

Also love the bit about its only a few bucks, the reality is you are tipping about 50% of some of these girls daily wage.

Did you tip 50% of daily wages back home?

Some plumber comes and fixes a broken pipe, charges you $400 do give him a $200 tip.

Back home is irrelevant, so is what happens there, the bottom line is, this is Thailand.

I was in Pattaya last week, just off soi BK there was a joint advertising 80 baht massages.

Also love the bit about its only a few bucks, the reality is you are tipping about 50% of some of these girls daily wage.

Back home is irrelevant, so is what happens there, the bottom line is, this is Thailand

I really don't think many of these girls would appreciate a 50 baht tip. That would be only marginally better than no tip at all. A tip for them would be "keep the change" when given a 500 baht note.

They're looking for the customers on vacation who are still spending in their home currency.

Edited by tropo

How do you guys feel about tipping a taxi service (to and from airport) when the driver is the owner of the car?

My Aussie friends on vacation who are spending AUD tip him well. I don't.

Edited by tropo

Back home is irrelevant, so is what happens there, the bottom line is, this is Thailand

I really don't think many of these girls would appreciate a 50 baht tip. That would be only marginally better than no tip at all. A tip for them would be "keep the change" when given a 500 baht note.

They're looking for the customers on vacation who are still spending in their home currency.

Actually, I may have to change my reasoning and train of thought, I am now of the opinion that many who use these places are actually CC's that want a soi 6 experience but are too tight to pay for it there.

Hence they mosey up to a knocking shop in soi BK to try and undercut soi 6 prices.

For the big tippers, that love to tip, why not go up to the village, and tip the farmers that plant and harvest the rice? You are so happy to tip the lovely sexy girl, that you hope will give you more favors. Do really think the girl that is in her nice clothes, is more deserving, than the girl in the village that did the HARD work, to get the rice to the restaurant? Since the tipping seems to be aimed at just the sweet girl, what about the guys? What about the guys that do the hard hot dirty work of repairing the roads, do you ever tip them?

It seems that the only people that have their hand out for tips, and the ones that work for or around farang, since they know farang are always willing to pay double. Oh yeah, some Thai's do tip, but they are usually the wives or gf's of farangs, they are trying to prove that they really didnt work in a bar, and want to show that they are "above", the person that receives the tip. Do you tip the factory worker that is making your cheap shirt, or do you just tip the lovely sweety, that is selling it to you, at a good profit.

One guy even suggested tipping, so they wouldnt spit in your food!! Do you usually tip before you eat? Do you eat at places that you think they would spit in your food? I would hate to think of the repercussions for someone, if I caught them spitting in my food.

I would bet that if you analyze your own tipping, you would see a pattern of only tipping the sweet girls, and not the guys, so go figure it out, what your real motive is, when you give the tip.

I for one, do not pay anyones wages in Thailand, I only pay for a service. If the Thai employer is screwing the workers, that is not my concern. I cannot fix the corruption in this country, that has led to such low income for so many, or the fact that some sweet girl was sent to Pattaya, so daddy could get a new motocy, or Thai whisky

More lame excuses for not tipping. I see you have the usual list of suspects liking your posts.

I love the rationale that because thai employer screws the employee that is not your concern and the corruption in Thailand is not your problem yada yada yada.

Spreading a bit of small change around makes everyone feel better. You should try it sometime and shed your scrooge persona you just might end up liking it.

• Like 1

How do you guys feel about tipping a taxi service (to and from airport) when the driver is the owner of the car?

My Aussie friends on vacation who are spending AUD tip him well. I don't.

I do tip my driver who owns his own vehicle. 100-200 baht usually.

Liike what?

The ones I go to do not offer any sexual services.

Further they have some dam_n good masseuses once you know who is good and who isnt.

And a lot of these same girls I have seen in the massage shop for a number of years now.

I suppose they must be playing the long game with me.whistling.gif

What can I say if the masseur bends over backwoods to make your visit " Special " then I believe tipping would be the right choice and I do not mean the 1 bht they give you back in change. I always give a tip if I am satisfied that I have had a good service, however as I live here on a permanant basis it would not be as much as some of the tourists give !!!!!!!!!!!!

More lame excuses for not tipping. I see you have the usual list of suspects liking your posts.

I love the rationale that because thai employer screws the employee that is not your concern and the corruption in Thailand is not your problem yada yada yada.

I'm one of the "usual suspects" liking his post.

If you're concerned about Thais screwing Thai workers and corruption in Thailand, you're far better off not living here.

Your big tipping practices could encourage them to pay their staff even less.

• Like 1

Remove massage lady from the equation and replace with spare parts random at a Ford dealership I just spent Bt.10000.00 at. what tip should I provide given the excellent service received ?

I chose zero and paid what was on the invoice but what do you peoples reckon, am I a cheap charlie for not tossing her some coin, after all she only did the job she her employer is paying her to do.

Do they have a happy ending option at Ford?

A happy ending whether it be at Ford or a massage joint would be expressed as a value adder and yes it should be paid for if price agreed and service received either of which has zero to do with tipping a person that is merely doing the job they are paid to do.

Call me soft but in 7 years of living in the Kingdom I have always purchased a small gift for any Thai friends who have helped me wether it be translating something or going to the land office/ immigration/hospital. I would do this in my own Countryas well so why be different because it is Thailand !!!!!!!!

Liike what?

Just because they don't offer "other services" doesn't mean they are not available.

I have never been offered "other services" either, but I know they are available from most cheap massage places.

Why should they play a long term game with you - you're a handsome tipper.

If you're concerned about Thais screwing Thai workers and corruption in Thailand, you're far better off not living here.

I dont consider myself a big tipper.

I dont lie awake at night worrying about corrupt practices in Thailand either.

But where a tip is well warranted(SB massage shops) and it is well within my financial means to provide one then I tip.

Liike what?

Just because they don't offer "other services" doesn't mean they are not available.

I have never been offered "other services" either, but I know they are available from most cheap massage places.

Why should they play a long term game with you - you're a handsome tipper.

No the ones I go to have a specific no sexual services policy.

Other places might be different it all depends on the shop policy.

I dont consider myself a big tipper.

I dont lie awake at night worrying about corrupt practices in Thailand either.

But where a tip is well warranted(SB massage shops) and it is well within my financial means to provide one then I tip.

200 bath tip to a driver is much, then again we tipped the captain of a longtail boat we hired 500. But that was also because his price was much better as others and a good trip. I dont like tipping much but i do tip after a massage. Mant of the Thais do too.

But i feel its up to someone if he wants to tip i wont call him or her a cheap Charley.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Remove massage lady from the equation and replace with spare parts random at a Ford dealership I just spent Bt.10000.00 at. what tip should I provide given the excellent service received ?

I chose zero and paid what was on the invoice but what do you peoples reckon, am I a cheap charlie for not tossing her some coin, after all she only did the job she her employer is paying her to do.

Do they have a happy ending option at Ford?

A happy ending whether it be at Ford or a massage joint would be expressed as a value adder and yes it should be paid for if price agreed and service received either of which has zero to do with tipping a person that is merely doing the job they are paid to do.

Call me soft but in 7 years of living in the Kingdom I have always purchased a small gift for any Thai friends who have helped me wether it be translating something or going to the land office/ immigration/hospital. I would do this in my own Countryas well so why be different because it is Thailand !!!!!!!!

After 7 years of living here I am surprised you would need a Thai to hold your hand and take you to immigration or a hospital.

Cant you speak the language?

The last 2 times I have been at immi the whole process was completed in Thai and I have been here as long as you, if an idiot like me can learn the language surely someone as switched on as you should have no problem.

I also am one of the usual suspects liking his post, not doubt I will be slagged of by the tourists and knights in shining armour for also liking yours.