Postal 90 Day Reporting In Cm

gennisis

I've understood for some years that a 'proof of residence' letter cost 500 baht in v. few provinces, CM being one of them, most others a free service. No receipt, of course.

Why precisely the mail-in option for 90 day renewal doesn't require a fee as well must have to do with a work-free (their side) payment method.

In fact, I suppose that a US style pay-for-play method, with a privatized office, would allow many falang to move to the front of the queue, except for Cheap Charlies, and even they'd go ahead of most Burmese,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed.........THE 90 DAY MAIL IN OPTION IS HISTORY!!

Yesterday I got a call from a Thai official who's only English was 'you come Chiang Mai immigration tomorrow' and sure enough after we fought the crowds and got up to the 90 day desk and he fished my paperwork out of a bag of maybe 20 other offenders and told my wife that the woman who did the 90 day mail in processing quit out of frustration.

BTW.....it was a total madhouse with maybe 1,000 mostly Burmese crowded into the small hot room and all parking was full.....even the place next door. Get it together guys!!!

and tywas.....better update your pinned topic

I don't see anything suggesting the THE 90 DAY MAIL IN OPTION IS HISTORY!!

Just that they need to replace the woman previously running it.

I doubt the new person needs three years training.....maybe an hour.

It would be rather difficult for the immigration dept to take somone to court over the fine for not reporting if they reported by mail as the LAW if not the practice permits mail reporting. I agree like many forms of corrupt practices and failure of duty it may be difficult to enforce and an attempt to do so may have reprecussions. Yes I do live in Chiangrai however I did live in ChiangMai for a few years and am familiar with the system there. It is a national law too not a local one.

So my 90 day expired yesterday the 4th.

Shall I send it by post, following the instructions kindly provided us on this forum?

You could try. I sent mine on the 24th or thereabouts. I checked the tracking and it arrived at C.M. Immigration - the following day. Could be there will be a delay in returning them until they replace the employee.

Wait - I just re-read your post. Expired yesterday? No, it had to be sent in two weeks before the due date.

The thought of going to C.M. Immigration regularly makes me sick.

Totally agree and I take the stories about 3 minutes in and out with a pinch of salt.

I didn't want to use Assist Thai, but it's worth 1,000 baht a YEAR not to even think about reporting, not to think about mailing and certainly not to think about stepping inside that zoo for five minutes......let alone the pain in the arse going there.

Good to read that all of you know now that I don't spam rumours .......Not so good is it seems they continue to call the recipients of the mail ins , with the mono-tone you come tomorrow message .

At least all of you can understand whats going on without trying to figure it out in thaiglish.

Still a smallplus is that it seems the officer who handled it quit , if this is the reason why they want to abbolish it , I think there might be an equal possibility for them to return the service , just re-hire someone else ,

perhaps we should politely complain , when there are enough I've got good hopes it will be temporary .

Totally agree and I take the stories about 3 minutes in and out with a pinch of salt.

I didn't want to use Assist Thai, but it's worth 1,000 baht a YEAR not to even think about reporting, not to think about mailing and certainly not to think about stepping inside that zoo for five minutes......let alone the pain in the arse going there.

I agree. For a while it was possible if you waited 10 minutes you might have found a parking spot in the lot next door. Not anymore. There is never a parking spot and people fighting for one if one opens up. Once you get inside the waiting room, the smell is so bad from farangs who have not showered in days that it makes me feel nauseous. I will gladly pay the 1,000 Baht per year to avoid it. But let's wait and see what happens. It is possible the employee who did the job before will be replaced soon.

• Like 1

Yea, I hate it with a passion too. So, please tell us a little about the 'Assist Thai'........for 1,000thb a year, they will do all your 90 day check ins as well as your yearly extension?? How to contact?? And are they reliable enough to give them your passport??

I would rather pay a little tea money and get it expedited like the good old days.

Edited by jaideeguy
  • Like 1

Yea, I hate it with a passion too. So, please tell us a little about the 'Assist Thai'........for 1,000thb a year, they will do all your 90 day check ins as well as your yearly extension?? How to contact?? And are they reliable enough to give them your passport??

I would rather pay a little tea money and get it expedited like the good old days.

Google is your friend...

http://www.assistthaivisa.com/

Anyone know if we can still mail them to Bangkok? The thought of going to C.M. Immigration regularly makes me sick.

I've always sent mine to Bangkok no problems at all, until the last one which came back with an attached note saying in future they would only accept them from people residing in Bangkok and to send the next one to the Chiang Mai office. rolleyes.gif

I must add that I do not blame the staff for this situation. They always treated me very well when I lived in ChiangMai and were obviously overwhealmelmed by the sheer amount of work they had to do. I blame Head office and government for constantly increasing the workload by adding extra requirements and not providing extra staff and physical facilities to service the demands of increasing numbers of contacts. It is not a great advertisment for Thailand.

No, for 1,000 Baht a year they only do the 90 day reporting. They photocopy your passport pages and do the report for you. When it's done they email you a scanned copy of the slip that you keep in your passport. Don't know about other services, I now use the on-line booking system for renewals and I'm in and out of the zoo in 15 minutes.

Google Assist Thai Chiang Mai, their office is in Chiang Mai Land.

I now use the on-line booking system for renewals and I'm in and out of the zoo in 15 minutes.

I am getting the idea that it can be very difficult to get an appointment for a visa renewal these days, now that you can only reserve 3 months in advance. I am worried about next year.

If you are getting out in 15 minutes, you are very lucky. It always takes me 3 or 4 hours - even with an appointment - and then I have to go back a month later to collect the 11 month stamp. The retirement visa sounds a lot more convenient than a work visa.

I must add that I do not blame the staff for this situation. They always treated me very well when I lived in ChiangMai and were obviously overwhealmelmed by the sheer amount of work they had to do. I blame Head office and government for constantly increasing the workload by adding extra requirements and not providing extra staff and physical facilities to service the demands of increasing numbers of contacts. It is not a great advertisment for Thailand.

I agree with this 100%.

It is definitely not the fault of the staff- they are largely hard working professionals who are overwhelmed with the workload.

There was a gov't decree about a year ago or more that legalized all the Burmese migrant workers here.

They were told if they registered, and did the 90 day address reporting, and applied yearly for permission to stay, they would be legal to work here.

All good policy on the gov't part, but the office here in CM is absolutely swamped with the migrant workers.

They have tried various solutions- they switched the migrants to the left side office for a while, then switched them back to the main office, then back to left side...and now back to main office.

Every time I drive by CM Imm, I now see literally 100's of people crowded outside the offices, in the parking lot, milling about on the sidewalk on the street, etc.

If you haven't been recently to CM Imm, you have to see it, to believe it.

It is like the New Delhi railroad station; an absolute teeming mass of humanity.

One very excellent solution would be to offer online 90 day address reporting.

Scan copies of the passport facepage, current extension, last entry stamp, departure card.

Produce the TM47 form as a .pdf file that can be filled in by the applicant.

Email all the above to CM Imm, and save millions of baht a year in paper, fuel, stressed staff quitting, etc.

I'm not holding my breath on this one.

As all their records are computerised how about .........

Just sending an email in every 90 days with your passport number and current address on it.

Them sending an email in confirmation.

Lets face it, the photocopies and forms are pointless 'makework'.

If they are overwhelmed, their fault, they created the paper mountains.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

As all their records are computerised how about .........

Just sending an email in every 90 days with your passport number and current address on it.

Them sending an email in confirmation.

Lets face it, the photocopies and forms are pointless 'makework'.

If they are overwhelmed, their fault, they created the paper mountains.

Agree to a point.

It isn't the staff I'm referring to who created this makework.

It is the Bangkok-centric bureaucracy who are (rhetorically speaking) mentally stuck in the days of the Raj and paper-wallahs with rickety typewriters seated on little handmade wooden stools outside the big official very important most splendid gov't building, who make these nonsensical rules that haven't changed since 1950 something.

I now use the on-line booking system for renewals and I'm in and out of the zoo in 15 minutes.

I am getting the idea that it can be very difficult to get an appointment for a visa renewal these days, now that you can only reserve 3 months in advance. I am worried about next year.

If you are getting out in 15 minutes, you are very lucky. It always takes me 3 or 4 hours - even with an appointment - and then I have to go back a month later to collect the 11 month stamp. The retirement visa sounds a lot more convenient than a work visa.

I don't know what paperwork you need or what visa you require UG.

Retirement extension is extremely simple, application form with photo, bank letter, signed copies of passport, TM card and bank book. I take my bank books in, but they never ask to see them. Last visit out in exactly 15 minutes with a years stamp, done by the female officer with desk next to window on right hand side - I just sit silent with a half smile on my face.

PS - 15 minutes is still too long at that place!!

Uptheos,

I really find the 15 minutes boast a bit much! Sure, if you have you papers together at the initial interview, 15 minutes does it. I think I have done it in ten minutes, but then that work has to be reviewed by a supervisor, and that normally takes 30 - 45 minutes. Take a book, UG. You have a few to read around your place!

Shall I send it by post, following the instructions kindly provided us on this forum?

You could try. I sent mine on the 24th or thereabouts. I checked the tracking and it arrived at C.M. Immigration - the following day. Could be there will be a delay in returning them until they replace the employee.

Wait - I just re-read your post. Expired yesterday? No, it had to be sent in two weeks before the due date.

Thankyou elektrified but

Whoa......

The pinned procedure says can post as long as it arrives no more than 7 days after date....that's next Tuesday.

Is this correct anyone? If it is I shall post. The worst they can do is ask me to come in eh?

Cheeryble

Thankyou elektrified but

Whoa......

The pinned procedure says can post as long as it arrives no more than 7 days after date....that's next Tuesday.

Is this correct anyone? If it is I shall post. The worst they can do is ask me to come in eh?

It appears that is in error. The +15 -7 is for reporting in person. 2 weeks before is necessary for mail in. Worse that can happen - 2000 Baht fine for late reporting.

Uptheos,

I really find the 15 minutes boast a bit much! Sure, if you have you papers together at the initial interview, 15 minutes does it. I think I have done it in ten minutes, but then that work has to be reviewed by a supervisor, and that normally takes 30 - 45 minutes. Take a book, UG. You have a few to read around your place!

What you think is irrelevant to me.

I did of course mean the interview lasted only 15 minutes, it takes them bloody 30 minutes to issue a receipt!

FYI.....I just spoke with Assist Thai and confirmed that their fee for doing the 90 day reporting is 1,000thb as stated. I then asked how much to process the yearly extension of a retirement visa based on the 800,000 in the bank and was told it was 5,000 plus the 1,800thb fee from immigration.

I mentioned the price to my wife and she says that she would do the 90 day for me and even the 1 yr. Thais love to wait! Can she legally do my paperwork for the renewal of my yearly extension?? does she need any POA [power of attorney] from me or any other paperwork to do that??

FYI.....I just spoke with Assist Thai and confirmed that their fee for doing the 90 day reporting is 1,000thb as stated. I then asked how much to process the yearly extension of a retirement visa based on the 800,000 in the bank and was told it was 5,000 plus the 1,800thb fee from immigration.

I mentioned the price to my wife and she says that she would do the 90 day for me and even the 1 yr. Thais love to wait! Can she legally do my paperwork for the renewal of my yearly extension?? does she need any POA [power of attorney] from me or any other paperwork to do that??

Just checked the T.M. 7 extension application form. Clearly states that the application must be made in person. The 90 days reporting only needs your signature on the T.M 47 form, plus you need to countersign the passport copies.

Minor point, but that is 1900 B for the visa extension.

Just checked the T.M. 7 extension application form. Clearly states that the application must be made in person. The 90 days reporting only needs your signature on the T.M 47 form, plus you need to countersign the passport copies.

If you use the services of Assist Thai, they can do the deed without you going in and in the past, when my father was alive, i got a dr's certificate to process his paperwork.

Edited by jaideeguy

I usually pay someone more than that to assist my staff with the paperwork for a work visa every year and to accompany me to immigration to make sure that it is all done right. If I can avoid the whole ordeal for not too much more, I would be more than happy to pay Assist Thai Visa. However, work visas are a lot more complicated than retirement visas, so it might be a lot more expensive.