Dual-Sim Smartphone With Android 4.xx. Any Ideas?

vel_tins

No, that's precisely it - you will have to physically swap the SIM cards. That's what's wrong with it. (Same for the Alcatel idol X+ too). Only one of the SIM slots is *physically* capable of 3G/WCDMA networking. If you get ahold of the redmi you can see the SIM slots clearly labelled with one 3G and one 2G-only

That was the same on my I-mobile Q6 BUT you could change Sims via the software .. done it.. it's normal on mediatek chips. Just not sure on this one.. check some forums

Just checked myself .. you are absolutely correct ..sorry if I sounded argumentative.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it's ok. The 3G/WCDMA-mode switching interface in Android is pretty bad so there are people whose phones CAN switch between them in software but never realise it (and they're sadly physically swapping SIMs when they don't have to). So a lot of the time when people say their phones can't do it, they're actually wrong, and it can be switched in software. but there are also phones where (I assume for cost reasons) the hardware really can't do it. in my experience this includes a lot of the Chinese phones.

No, that's precisely it - you will have to physically swap the SIM cards. That's what's wrong with it. (Same for the Alcatel idol X+ too). Only one of the SIM slots is *physically* capable of 3G/WCDMA networking. If you get ahold of the redmi you can see the SIM slots clearly labelled with one 3G and one 2G-only

That was the same on my I-mobile Q6 BUT you could change Sims via the software .. done it.. it's normal on mediatek chips. Just not sure on this one.. check some forums

Just checked myself .. you are absolutely correct ..sorry if I sounded argumentative.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
Edited by build6

• 3 weeks later...

New Acer Dual SIM Android phones

1. Acer Liquid Jade

The Acer Liquid Jade comes with a 5-inch IPS display with a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels (HD), and runs Android 4.4 KitKat out-of-the-box. It is powered by a 1.3GHz quad-core MediaTek processor, paired up with 2GB of RAM.
For imaging, the Acer Liquid Jade is equipped with a 13MP auto focus rear shooter with LED flash and capability to record 1,080p quality videos. It also packs in a 2MP front shooter for video calls and selfies.
Connectivity-wise, this dual-SIM smartphone features 3G, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS etc. It has 8GB of inbuilt storage, expandable up to 32GB. The device houses a 2,100mAh battery to juice up itself.
More Info
2. Acer Liquid Z200
Acer press Release
  • 4-inch display in five colors(1) to express users’ personalities
  • Easy user control with AcerRAPID™ design, flip wakeup cover and Acer Quick Mode
  • Amazing music experience with DTS Studio Sound™
  • Ideal for first time feature phone users or buyers on a budget
  • Acer BYOC™ provides users with convenient and secure access to their information and content anytime, anywhere
  • Acer announces the Acer Liquid Z200 smartphone designed for first-time feature phone users or second phone buyers on a budget, available in a variety of colors to accentuate users’ personalities. Designed for users on a budget, this 4-inch WVGA display entry smartphone with optional dual SIM comes with all the essential smart features plus immersive sound by DTS Studio Sound™ technology previously available only in Acer’s mainstream series smartphones.
    The compact Acer Liquid Z200 running on Android 4.4 (KitKat) holds comfortably for one-hand usage and features an optional flip cover that lets users simply turn on their smartphone with a flip.

FWIW Cnet recommends against purchasing the Zenfone 5 because of the lag they were experiencing with it. Guess Intel still has a long ways to go with their Atom chip. The Zen6 has the same chip btw.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-zenfone-5/

This is a bit of a disappointment for me because the Zen5 was at the top of my list for a good cheap dual sim. But if you're still set on a Zen5, be advised there are two versions - 1GB ram/8GB rom and 2GB ram/16GB?? rom, with standard pricing at 5000 and 6000 respectively. (There seems to be confusion on whether the higher spec model is 8 or 16 GB, but based on the info I've seen my guess is it should really be 16GB). Just be sure not to pay 6k for the lower spec version.

http://droidsans.com/ASUS-Zenfones-5-model-ram-2GB-is-landing-to-thailand

The Moto G is at the top of my list now, especially after learning it runs stock Android. I've had nothing but horrible experiences with Motorola phones in the past, but this one looks to be purely a Google phone.

At the moment one of the best dual-sim phones is the Huawei Honor3C, and that is mainly because it has everything all other cheap phones have... but instead of 512kb or 1MB memory the Huawei comes with 2MB memory...

FWIW Cnet recommends against purchasing the Zenfone 5 because of the lag they were experiencing with it. Guess Intel still has a long ways to go with their Atom chip. The Zen6 has the same chip btw.

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-zenfone-5/

This is a bit of a disappointment for me because the Zen5 ...

I guess every Smartphone with specs below a Galaxy S5/HTC M8 is "low-end" for these guys. laugh.png

I have a Asus Fonepad and friend of mine the little bit newer Fonepad7.

Both Phones have an "older" Atom Single Core CPU, but the phones itself work faster than some "Quad Core" or "Dual-Core" Cpus (Allwinner A31/Mediatek etc).

Offline Navigation (Sygic) runs absolutely smooth while streaming music via Bluetooth to my car-audio at the same time.

Fast loading of webpages etc. no problem, battery life is extremely good.

Nothing to complain about the Atom (only about Asus because of the missing notification LED)

And not mention the price...

• Like 1

Other nice alternative dual sims which nobody seems to have mentioned are the new LG L series III -- L40, L70, L90. They're priced from 3.5k to 8k and are just reaching the shops now. I discovered them on the weekend at MBK and decided on the L90 for it's 2540 mAH battery and quadcore cpu. I have a Note 3 and was a little worried about the 960x540 resolution (there were no working demos) but it's totally fine and I actually quite like the screen. Haven't done anything strenuous on it yet but it seems zippy enough. The L40 at 3.5k is especially hard to beat if it meets your specs. Edit: the L90 costed me 7.7k (cash price) btw.

http://www.mxphone.net/250314-preview-next-generation-lg-middle-range/

Turkleton I'm glad you're having good experience with your Intel chip. More competition in the cpu space can only be good for us. A couple of other sites mentioned about lag with the Zenfone, but I'm starting to suspect the culprit may be a poorly optimised custom UI as opposed to the chip (Asus is using highly customised firmware this time around). Anyway, I was actually re-considering the Zenfone until I came across the L90 as mentioned above.

Edited by puuchaibaa

I have an LG E455 which is the previous generation of the current L40. I can confirm it's built well and works well, so it bodes well for these new revisions.

But there are a few cost-cutting corners they cut which I disliked - for example the home, menu etc buttons aren't backlit so you can't see them at night.

(on the other hand, I like price savings too)