Real Estate Agent

joker666

Agent fees are paid by vendor not the tenant

and the vendor factors that into the rental rate = the tenant pays.

If a vendor says they want x amount and the price must be loaded, I and most other agents refuse to list the property, therefor, agent commission is paid by vendor not the tenant.

I believe that the real estate guys here charge 15% commission for renting out a house so if I was asking 20k a month to rent my house then I would put the price up to 23k to cover the real estate charges so the renter will pay the agent indirectly, the estate agent will not do the donkey work for free will he?

the classified sections on this website, plus bahtsold are quite good.... and as said above, worth getting a hotel room for a few days and having a good nose around

will learn a lot on the ground, having a look for yourself, rather than leaving it all to an agent

Sorry, but "reliable real estate agent" seems to be and oxymoron in Hua Hin. biggrin.png

Sorry, but "reliable real estate agent" seems to be and oxymoron in Hua Hin. biggrin.png

Everywhere else too, it seems.

Rent a condo or hotel room by the month and take your time to look around. Meet a few locals and find out where you want to live. There is no rush to find somewhere.

Hire a motorbike and just ride around up the side streets and you will see lots of "for rent" or "forrent" signs. Visit the place in the morning, afternoon and evening. Check out for dogs.

Offer a lot less than the asking price and see how far they will come down.

Going through an "estate agent" and you will pay well over the odds, month after month after month. They are all in it for themselves, particularly the foreigners, who will take any Newbie to the cleaners if they can.

Rent a condo or hotel room by the month and take your time to look around. Meet a few locals and find out where you want to live. There is no rush to find somewhere.

Hire a motorbike and just ride around up the side streets and you will see lots of "for rent" or "forrent" signs. Visit the place in the morning, afternoon and evening. Check out for dogs.

Going through an "estate agent" and you will pay well over the odds, month after month after month. They are all in it for themselves, particularly the foreigners, who will take any Newbie to the cleaners if they can.

Can agree with all of that except the last sentences. Does this forum allow for you to provide specific examples that you have experienced of foreign agents in Hua Hin taking their clients to the cleaners? I happen to know several who work very hard, take loads of s*it for very little reward, and bend over backwards for their clients. Not saying they are all like this, but they certainly aren't all sharks either.

• Like 1

Can agree with all of that except the last sentences. Does this forum allow for you to provide specific examples that you have experienced of foreign agents in Hua Hin taking their clients to the cleaners? I happen to know several who work very hard, take loads of s*it for very little reward, and bend over backwards for their clients. Not saying they are all like this, but they certainly aren't all sharks either.

Good to hear a positive post about agents, as you say, some go that extra mile for very little reward.

There are some good agents in HH however some people seem to think that think that they will not have to pay a agents commission when renting a house, if they pay it directly or indirectly they will still pay it, of course they will, this is not the agent ripping people off or "taking their clients to the cleaners" it is simply him wanting to be paid for his work, nothing wrong with that

Edited by darrendsd

Whether the forum allows specific examples or not it wouldn't be smart to post them as people in Hua Hin have had property set on fire, been beaten, and shot for posting negative things about people in the Hua Hin property business, both agents and builders. Yes, there are a few honest hard working ones, but be very careful as they seem very nice and professional to your face but can be very different in reality.

My missus worked in the business in some of the larger shops in town for a few years and changed jobs until she found an honest one because when she saw what went on behind the customer's back she would not work at a "bad" shop.

Well, back to the OP - if you're planning on coming between now-Feb, there will be slim pickings I'm afraid.

Most listings on websites (unless very recent) are likely to be out of date, as more often than not, people don't take them off immediately when their place gets rented out (pure forgetfulness, I suppose).

As for agents, most agencies carry the same listings and do not know when another agency or whoever has rented out the property, so you can't rely on the property you see being listed online as being available (especially in high season), for this reason they may appear unreliable but I don't think that's their fault- there is no perfect system in place, and virtually no exclusivity on listings. If you want to get an idea of whats available best to call an agency directly and ask what they have available for the time you want rather than use the website.

Signs on gates is most likely the best bet, and have a Thai do the talking if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know a bit about renting prices. I live in Phuket and everybody says it expensive over here. Well I have a free standing, 2 bedroom house in a very nice and not busy soi. I've been there now 4 years and the rent never went up, 8.000-- thb per month, no down payment.

Phuket ( even Rawai where I live ) is run over by Russians and I on't like that very much. Is Hua Hin/Cha Am a good alternative ?

Sorry it's of topic.