The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

22 hours ago, balo said:

Someone here was talking about opening a sandwich shop , and Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches was mentioned.  Now we have one , so that's another welcome addition to the food choices here. 

I wonder if they taste the same as the one I had in Hanoi?  Only one way to find out. 

Sorry but I never tried anywhere before this shop. Can you tell me after you try if the taste was good ? At least the Vietnamese owner is friendly and makes his own bread !

• Like 2

On 7/5/2018 at 4:28 AM, Jingthing said:

Sankalp South Indian Vegetarian restaurant

2nd Road, across from Royal Garden Mall

This is a VERY FAMOUS chain from India. Now in Pattaya. 

Well known for their large variety of DOSAS and quality CHUTNEYS, but they have a full south Indian vegetarian menu as well.

For people that like South Indian vegetarian food, this is exciting.

I think it is first Sankalp in Thailand. 

It's very new and they aren't fully in gear yet, so you might want to wait a few weeks as there are a few menu items they are still waiting on stuff from India to do, but it's already quite good.

They will efficiently make your food bland or extra spicy as you like.

I've been three times already trying different things.

A fancy vegetarian biryani with a bread baked on top of it. 220

Thali 199

Chettinad style vegetable dosa (under 200)

All the food has been excellent. 

Company link --

http://www.sankalponline.com/

http://www.sankalponline.com/menu.aspx

Review from their Atlanta location (two locations in the USA) --

https://www.myajc.com/entertainment/dining/review-sankalp-imports-dosas-decatur/Th9DiIQP5gBEeJxUV0o1JL/

South Indian Food makes a nice change.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:28 AM, Jingthing said:

Sankalp South Indian Vegetarian restaurant

2nd Road, across from Royal Garden Mall

This is a VERY FAMOUS chain from India. Now in Pattaya. 

Well known for their large variety of DOSAS and quality CHUTNEYS, but they have a full south Indian vegetarian menu as well.

For people that like South Indian vegetarian food, this is exciting.

I think it is first Sankalp in Thailand. 

It's very new and they aren't fully in gear yet, so you might want to wait a few weeks as there are a few menu items they are still waiting on stuff from India to do, but it's already quite good.

They will efficiently make your food bland or extra spicy as you like.

I've been three times already trying different things.

A fancy vegetarian biryani with a bread baked on top of it. 220

Thali 199

Chettinad style vegetable dosa (under 200)

All the food has been excellent. 

Company link --

http://www.sankalponline.com/

http://www.sankalponline.com/menu.aspx

Review from their Atlanta location (two locations in the USA) --

https://www.myajc.com/entertainment/dining/review-sankalp-imports-dosas-decatur/Th9DiIQP5gBEeJxUV0o1JL/

South Indian Food makes a nice change.

On 7/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Restaurant Mystery?!?

The famous Hopf Brew House on Pattaya beach road not far from Royal Garden is renamed to Hops Brew House. I think a similar menu as before.

http://hopsbrewhouse.co.th/หน้าหลัก.html

That isn't the mystery so much.

Remember years back now the Hopf Brew House was going to open a new location on Thappraya on the hill towards Jomtien and they posted a big sign -- OPENING SOON.

Still not open. Will it ever be? There's your mystery. 

It's funny that OPENING SOON doesn't really mean anything in these parts. 

It's due to open the same time as Foodland on Thepprasit Road (also coming soon).

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 3:48 PM, Jingthing said:

Remember years back now the Hopf Brew House was going to open a new location on Thappraya on the hill towards Jomtien and they posted a big sign -- OPENING SOON.

Still not open. Will it ever be? There's your mystery. 

To me it looks like they are (or have been) working on it behind the metal panels.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, champers said:

An article in today's Bangkok Post's business section states that Taco Bell will be entering the chain restaurant market in Thailand in the last quarter of this year. No details regarding locations yet.

New Terminal 21?

There is a sort of taco fast food emulation on the darkside, very near Retox Outback. No idea what it sells or what it's like though.

Important Update on Sankalp.

It turns out so far it's only been a SOFT opening.

As this is a major international brand, they try to have consistent food internationally. 

But they aren't there yet.

More on the menu is missing than I first thought and some dishes they can do are not yet done in Sankalp style. 

That is because a "big chef" is arriving in about two to three weeks and then it will be transformed into a more real Sankalp.

As I said before, the flavors are already there for what they do serve, but I do suggest WAITING for the harder opening.

• Thanks 1

Do they do whole-wheat?

If you are asking about the Vietnamese place, no, they dont. Standard white French sticks/rolls only, at least as far as I know. That's normal in Vietnam also for the sandwich places.

If you want decent sourdough or wholemeal or anything else like that you would need to look at a full-blown bakery like BigC in Klang, or Tops in Central etc.

• Like 1

AREPAZO BROS

Venezuelan Arepas Restaurant

Tappraya Road, Jomtien

:sorry:

OUT OF BUSINESS SALE. FIXTURES FOR SALE.

Yes, sadly, only after a few months open.

If you missed trying their food, you may have missed the best Latin food we've ever seen in Pattaya. The problem wasn't the food. 

The restaurant business is VERY HARD.

Respect to all that try to make it happen, success or not.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

AREPAZO BROS

Venezuelan Arepas Restaurant

Tappraya Road, Jomtien

:sorry:

OUT OF BUSINESS SALE. FIXTURES FOR SALE.

Yes, sadly, only after a few months open.

If you missed trying their food, you may have missed the best Latin food we've ever seen in Pattaya. The problem wasn't the food. 

The restaurant business is VERY HARD.

Respect to all that try to make it happen, success or not.

Really enjoyed there food, oh well. 

I liked the Arepazos, but parking nearby is bad so didn't go more than a couple of times. The shops there rely on foot traffic and I guess that's been dwindling down. Too many shops that open up here don't realize locals have cars.

Terrible news about Arepa , only 3 months and closed. I think the owner miscalculated with the rent and staff salaries. 

He is moving back to London . 

• Like 1

Terrible news about Arepa , only 3 months and closed. I think the owner miscalculated with the rent and staff salaries. 
He is moving back to London . 

Yes, always sad to see somebody have a go at something like this and then for it not work out.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

I have stopped going to any restaurants which allow smoking. I know this is slightly irrelevant but could we make a thread dedicated to restaurants and bars selling food ban smoking inside.

It's been illegal for a long time, most upper end establishment might have a separate room with bar that allow smoking (it's also illegal to smoke in bars too) so the list would be shorter if we just list places that allow smoking within their premises

On 7/8/2018 at 11:21 AM, domdom said:

Hello

Whenever I want to go for Indian food, I go to Indian by Nature..

Went at least 20 times in the past 2 years, always consistent, excellent food, good service, never disappointed.. Excellent Indian chef who has been working for top indian restaurants in Delhi..

Of course it is refined indian cuisine.. not basic curry

Have a nice sunday

I am no expert but never found Indian by nature better than most Indian restaurants, even when I am invited and someone else pays !

But of course I can understand that someone likes to pay for decoration. I also pay, but for my house decoration ?

Edited by goegoe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mae Sri Ruen

Locally Famous Thai restaurant chain (best known for chicken noodles but much much more).

Friendly prices though more than street food of course.

I'm sure all Pattaya locals know this place and most Thai and foreign like it.

Well now there is a new location on Pattaya Tai between Tukcom (and closer to) and 2nd. Opposite side of road from Tukcom. Can't miss it, big sign. 

I'm not overly excited because the Central Pattaya Beach mall location already works for me. How about opening in Jomtien, eh?

I have heard complaints about this place that it's bland food targeted at foreigners. I think that is totally not true. First of all, Thais love the place and secondly on dishes where it fits I have never had any problem at all asking them to serve very spicy. Obviously for some dishes like fried egg rolls, that would be a stupid thing to ask for as it's not meant to be a spicy dish. Their most famous chicken noodle soup is offered in a regular and spicy version on the menu but of course traditionally you can spice up any noodle soup dish like that with side condiments to your taste. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d13137874-Reviews-Mae_Sri_Ruen-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing

On 7/8/2018 at 11:21 AM, domdom said:

Hello

Whenever I want to go for Indian food, I go to Indian by Nature..

Went at least 20 times in the past 2 years, always consistent, excellent food, good service, never disappointed.. Excellent Indian chef who has been working for top indian restaurants in Delhi..

Of course it is refined indian cuisine.. not basic curry

Have a nice sunday

It's expensive, small portions and no better than British High Street take alway curries, which are pretty good. I spent a year in India and rarely had decent food there. Hygiene is illusonary in all restaurants except where there is an open kitchen. IBN is a  good place for unadventurous diners but is worth trying once but it does not have an extensive desert menu. Tooting Bec, Southall, Brick Lane in London and Rusholme in Manchester and many other Northern Cities have better Indian food  than India..

Edited by The manic
  • Like 2