The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Not sure why they closed the Terminal 21 thread and opened a new thread with nothing but negative posters.  

Did not get to go to Chutney Indian as my Thai girlfriend says Indian restaurants stink.  I left it up to her so of course she chose a Thai restaurant.  Not sure what the name is since the name of the restaurant is in Thai.  It's a very nice looking place that has all white decor with black chandeliers.  

We both agreed that it was on the pricey side for a Thai restaurant.  The yellow one is snails in some sauce accompanied with 6 rolls of dried noodles and fried garlic.  My dish was chicken in coconut curry sauce that costed 200 baht.  Even though it made no mention of mushrooms it was basically all mushrooms and a few scrawny pieces of chicken.  I don't eat mushrooms.  I ordered fried morning glory for 120 baht which was good value and tasted good as well.  My coconut sauce was ok and went well with my rice.  My girlfriend loved her snails.  Total price including 2 waters and 2 bowls of rice was 650 baht.  

Would I return?  Unfortunately it looks like I will have to.  If it were just me I would not return as there are way too many better options at T21.  Staff here does not smile. The owner is sitting by the menu with a very worried look on her face.  Many people looking at the menu and walking away.  Restaurant less than half full.  All Thai customers.  Downfall of this place is likely going to be it's too high priced especially with Pier 21 literally steps away.  

20181020_170001.png

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Thanks 1

Open call for "reviews" from T21 mall! ????

There are scads of new restaurants at the new mall. Readers, when you eat at these NEW places, please take the time to comment about the experience here. More value on totally new to Pattaya places as opposed to places that have already existed here.

Thanks!

Not a review. But a preview.

I only recently heard of "Cheese Tea" which is apparently a growing trend in Asia that is starting to go international. You know, like Bubble Tea used to be.

As far as I know it hasn't been offered in Pattaya before (correct me if I'm wrong).

But there is a cheese tea place called HEEKCAA at Terminal 21 San Franciso Street. I plan to try it on my first visit there (assuming it's open already).

http://danielfooddiary.com/2018/01/19/heekcaa/

The variety include Signature Heekcha Cheese (90 baht), Mango Cheese (120 baht), Passion Fruit Cheese (99 baht), Oreo Cheese (120 baht), Milo Cheese (90 baht), Latte Cheese (105 baht), Matcha Cheese (120 baht) and Cocoa Cheese (95 baht).

(Almost) everything CHEESE!

Stupid selfies but likely tasty.

If you decide you want to hate cheese tea, you should probably hate it because of the selfies, not the flavor, which fans say is pretty subtle and surprisingly delicious. At this rate, it will probably be a special Starbucks promotional item in a year or so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/12/06/behold-the-latest-wait-in-line-instagram-your-purchase-status-food-cheese-tea/

Edited by Jingthing

On 10/20/2018 at 3:35 AM, AlexCanada said:

Not sure why they closed the Terminal 21 thread and opened a new thread with nothing but negative posters.  

Did not get to go to Chutney Indian as my Thai girlfriend says Indian restaurants stink.  I left it up to her so of course she chose a Thai restaurant.  Not sure what the name is since the name of the restaurant is in Thai.  It's a very nice looking place that has all white decor with black chandeliers.  

We both agreed that it was on the pricey side for a Thai restaurant.  The yellow one is snails in some sauce accompanied with 6 rolls of dried noodles and fried garlic.  My dish was chicken in coconut curry sauce that costed 200 baht.  Even though it made no mention of mushrooms it was basically all mushrooms and a few scrawny pieces of chicken.  I don't eat mushrooms.  I ordered fried morning glory for 120 baht which was good value and tasted good as well.  My coconut sauce was ok and went well with my rice.  My girlfriend loved her snails.  Total price including 2 waters and 2 bowls of rice was 650 baht.  

Would I return?  Unfortunately it looks like I will have to.  If it were just me I would not return as there are way too many better options at T21.  Staff here does not smile. The owner is sitting by the menu with a very worried look on her face.  Many people looking at the menu and walking away.  Restaurant less than half full.  All Thai customers.  Downfall of this place is likely going to be it's too high priced especially with Pier 21 literally steps away.  

I saw a lot of worried looking restaurant owners/managers on opening day.  My guess is at least 1/2 of the places will ultimately fail.  Especially a lot of the more expensive places. I think almost all of Central restaurants on the upper floors have changed/moved a few times.  Seems to be par for the course in Thailand in general.

Edited by lapd

On 10/20/2018 at 9:13 PM, Jingthing said:

Find Tinnies Aussie pie shop on the corner of Tappraya and go into that soi to the next corner

.....And bring plenty of money too as it's not cheap.

I suspect the combination of high prices and hidden location may be the death of this place sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I suspect the combination of high prices and hidden location may be the death of this place sooner rather than later.

Just a terrible location if they want foot traffic, perhaps they have commercial accounts otherwise I can't see how they survive. 

It was a 7-11 thing last year, before the fad wore out.
Thanks. I believe in Family Values so I missed it as I use Family Mart.

I'm skeptical about your statement saying the fad has faded though.

How could it have peaked as a fad if there had been no cheese tea shop in a mall here before?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Just a terrible location if they want foot traffic,

Not really, it's on the corner and easy to spot behind Tinnies Pie. But you have to pass a few gay bars to get there and maybe boys from the gay massage opposite will scream at you. Not for the faint hearted. 

Not really, it's on the corner and easy to spot behind Tinnies Pie. But you have to pass a few gay bars to get there and maybe boys from the gay massage opposite will scream at you. Not for the faint hearted.     

I think the location is good enough.  

There have been some failed business in that location over the years including a few restaurants but nothing before putting out such remarkable quality.

It's possible my post may have made the place sound more expensive than it really is. It's definitely not cheap but here is an example of their pricing. A smallish tart type thing for 120. So an affordable luxury for most at least occasionally.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, balo said:

This place will succeed only if they own their property and they are not not paying rent. If they are the tenant I will give them less than three years (typical lease term).

5 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

This place will succeed only if they own their property and they are not not paying rent. If they are the tenant I will give them less than three years (typical lease term).

Maybe let the OWNERS worry about how viable their wonderful business is going to be over time.

For the general public, how about just enjoying the place for however long it's there to enjoy! :coffee1:

Lunch at Arno's today at T21. Things did not start off well as I ordered the traditional burger medium rare with a salad and a Coke. Waitress couldn't understand medium rare so I took her iPad and entered it for her. Then she returned and said sorry no Coke or Coke Zero, so I had water. The burger was very good and I enjoyed it a lot and will return. Check bin please, total 26.25 baht for the water. The meal was FREE, part of their opening promotion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

Lunch at Arno's today at T21. Things did not start off well as I ordered the traditional burger medium rare with a salad and a Coke. Waitress couldn't understand medium rare so I took her iPad and entered it for her. Then she returned and said sorry no Coke or Coke Zero, so I had water. The burger was very good and I enjoyed it a lot and will return. Check bin please, total 26.25 baht for the water. The meal was FREE, part of their opening promotion.

Wow. Free food. Do they advertise that or is it a surprise?!? I wonder for how long. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow. Free food. Do they advertise that or is it a surprise?!? I wonder for how long. 

There was no indication on the menu and since they serve pricey steaks and such, I suspect the promo applies only to selected items. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ThaiBob said:

There was no indication on the menu and since they serve pricey steaks and such, I suspect the promo applies only to selected items. 

That's probably very wise of them. Even if it's "just" free burgers, they have expensive burgers, and if they had a big flashing sign saying "free burgers" it would probably be a MOB SCENE. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's probably very wise of them. Even if it's "just" free burgers, they have expensive burgers, and if they had a big flashing sign saying "free burgers" it would probably be a MOB SCENE. 

Per their FB page, free burgers for 7 days. The traditional burger that I ordered comes with choice of fries or salad, 220 baht plus VAT, a great value. 

• Thanks 2

Per their FB page, free burgers for 7 days. The traditional burger that I ordered comes with choice of fries or salad, 220 baht plus VAT, a great value. 

Do you think it only applies to the basic burger as you ordered or can you pimp it up? (I'm not on FB.)

OK. Now I see it's for any burger. But do you need to take some action on FB or Instagram to qualify?

https://m.facebook.com/arnos.pattaya/photos/a.1979592488759807/2115176251868096/?type=3

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Do you think it only applies to the basic burger as you ordered or can you pimp it up? (I'm not on FB.)

OK. Now I see it's for any burger. But do you need to take some action on FB or Instagram to qualify?

https://m.facebook.com/arnos.pattaya/photos/a.1979592488759807/2115176251868096/?type=3

I don't follow them on FB, it was just a pleasant surprise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiBob said:

Did you happen to notice if they have craft beers on menu? So far Jim's Burger & Beers nearby has been the best place in Pattaya, to compete in quality (not location) they ought to have them.

The first 300 customers every day ! Thats what they promise. So I will go and check it out tomorrow.