Gasohol 95 And E20 Fuels...what Are The Differences

Now that pure benzine (gasoline) fuels are no longer sold in Thailand, can someone please explain the differences between the fuels labeled "gasohol" and the "E" fuels found at service stations. My understanding is that the E20 fuel means that it is 20% ethanol and 80% benzine. Is that correct? I don't really understand what the Gasohol 91 and 95 label fuels are.

Basically, I want to know which fuel is safe to put in an older non flex-fuel compatible vehicle. I understand that any E10 fuels is fine but higher E blends would be more aggressive on the engines but E20 seems to be the lowest blend available in Thailand. What about the gasohol blends...what are they and would either of the be safe?

Gasohol 91 has 91 octane, whereas Gasohol 95 - you might guess - got 95 octane.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

I guess it's gasohol 91 that's no longer available.

Is gasohol a blended fuel...the "ohol" led me to believe it's blended with alcohol/ethanol or something. Is gasohol 95 the same thing as E5, I.e., five percent alcohol and 95 percent gasoline?

I guess I'm confused because they have these "E" fuels and gasohol, which seem to be different names for the same thing.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Older vehicles can generally run on gasohol 91 or gasohol 95. These are both E10 fuels - 10% gasohol. So if you can was designed to run on 91 before, try 91 gasohol now. Avoid E20, as you said it would be too aggressive on the fuel system. Mostly newer (within the last few years) cars use that, as their fuel systems were modified to cope with 20% ethanol. I'm not sure about 'old' cars, like mid early 90's models. I heard about a b16 honda vtec engine using gasohol 95 though.

Older vehicles can generally run on gasohol 91 or gasohol 95. These are both E10 fuels - 10% gasohol. So if you can was designed to run on 91 before, try 91 gasohol now. Avoid E20, as you said it would be too aggressive on the fuel system. Mostly newer (within the last few years) cars use that, as their fuel systems were modified to cope with 20% ethanol. I'm not sure about 'old' cars, like mid early 90's models. I heard about a b16 honda vtec engine using gasohol 95 though.

Thanks. I deduce from the websites provided by some posters (thank you) that "gasohol" is a generic term for E10 (10% ethanol fuels), and here in LOS, it comes in two flavors: 91 and 95 octane. When the ethanol content gets above 10%, these mixed-blend fuels and then labeled as E20 or up depending on the percentage of ethanol in the mix.

This has cleared it up for me...I guess I will use the gasohol 91 (if I can find it) or the 95.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Mostly newer (within the last few years) cars use that, as their fuel systems were modified to cope with 20% ethanol. I'm not sure about 'old' cars, like mid early 90's models.

I assume only newer cars that are certified to accept E20 and not all newer cars? For example we have a less than 3 year old Fortuner 2.7 that the manual says can use Gasohol E10 but does not mention E20 at all, therefore assume it should not be used.

I was just stumbling around the PTT website again and found this very helpful link, you put in the make, model, and year of your car and it spits out the recommended fuels for it (and as an aside, what, if any, blended fuels it will take). I just ran my 1999 Honda CRV through it and it says that yes, gasohol 91 or 95 would be okay and are my only choices of PTT fuels, as they don't produce pure benzine/gasoline anymore. It does not recommend E20 or any of the other increased ethanol blend fuels.

http://www.pttplc.co...t-Gasoline.aspx

I would suggest using Google Chrome browser as it will automatically translate it from Thai to English.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

Mostly newer (within the last few years) cars use that, as their fuel systems were modified to cope with 20% ethanol. I'm not sure about 'old' cars, like mid early 90's models.

I assume only newer cars that are certified to accept E20 and not all newer cars? For example we have a less than 3 year old Fortuner 2.7 that the manual says can use Gasohol E10 but does not mention E20 at all, therefore assume it should not be used.

Correct - the list of E20 compat. cars is actually fairly short. Generally speaking the volume-selling compact car segment (VIOS, City, Jazz, etc) got E20 compatibility around 2006-2007, in order to take advantage of the reduced excise tax offered. Most luxury imports are also E20 compat, but in-between those extremes it becomes hit and miss.

RTFM before you pump :) If there's no mention of E20 compatability, you should take that as implying it's not E20 compat.

Yes you are correct. They should be certified to run on E20 from the manufacturer. Owning a honda, I just noticed the new models can run on E20.

I was just stumbling around the PTT website again and found this very helpful link, you put in the make, model, and year of your car and it spits out the recommended fuels for it (and as an aside, what, if any, blended fuels it will take). I just ran my 1999 Honda CRV through it and it says that yes, gasohol 91 or 95 would be okay and are my only choices of PTT fuels, as they don't produce pure benzine/gasoline anymore. It does not recommend E20 or any of the other increased ethanol blend fuels.

http://www.pttplc.co...t-Gasoline.aspx

I would suggest using Google Chrome browser as it will automatically translate it from Thai to English.

Interesting website - I note that they recommend Gasohol 91 for my car, Gas 95 is available (tried that once - got poor economy) for my car, but not regular 91, which my car was designed for. I assume they PTT is pushing people away from 91.

Also, no recommendations for pre-1995 hondas !

Thanks. I deduce from the websites provided by some posters (thank you) that "gasohol" is a generic term for E10 (10% ethanol fuels), and here in LOS, it comes in two flavors: 91 and 95 octane. When the ethanol content gets above 10%, these mixed-blend fuels and then labeled as E20 or up depending on the percentage of ethanol in the mix.

This has cleared it up for me...I guess I will use the gasohol 91 (if I can find it) or the 95.

I use Gasohol 91 (E10) in My Honda CBR 150 and its readily available around Pattaya, BKK, Chiang Mai and any larger city I've been to. Some stations color code the fuel selection at the pumps and price sign- Gasohol 91 is a darker green, Gasohol 95 is yellow and E20 is a lighter green.

Hope this helps :)

91 Benzine is being phased out within 3 months. 95 benzine, the price is being reduced to compensate supposedly, but you know this government.

What a can older cars without hardened valve seats use now and what about older bikes 4S ? Is anyone doing conversions ? Can 2 strokes use gasohol ?

91 Benzine is being phased out within 3 months. 95 benzine, the price is being reduced to compensate supposedly, but you know this government.

What a can older cars without hardened valve seats use now and what about older bikes 4S ? Is anyone doing conversions ? Can 2 strokes use gasohol ?

Maybe read the whole thread...it's been all about what you asked.

ford reccomend e20 for the fiesta but can they use gasohol 91 or 95 i dont want to try it cos im not sure also what about fuel consumption.

I'd suggest running a minimum of 3 tanks or each fuel and compare the consumption. Then calculate the total cost for running on each type of fuel. E20 could still be cheaper overall, even if fuel economy is worse than on gasohol 91. I think 95 isn't necessary. Take note of the performance on each kind of fuel. I suggest 3 tanks, as I noted that it takes a while for the fuel economy to 'normalise'; maybe the ecu is adjusting it's self ??

• Love It 1

91 has gone today. Straight answer ........possible........in thailand ........?

Just back from a trip from Sukhothai to Surin most of the fuel stations on many of the road we were on only had 91 gasoline usually noted with a red label and diesel, no gasohol available.

The PPT garages I find the easier to understand, Caltex to me is confusing, and same with Shell.

Well after looking at this thread yesterday, I got the mrs to ask the local garage owner and he said, I can't see 91 gasoline ever being phased out.

Then I read this laugh.pnglaugh.png .

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/New-Year-to-see-end-of-91-octane-petrol-30191721.html.

91 has gone today. Straight answer ........possible........in thailand ........?

Just back from a trip from Sukhothai to Surin most of the fuel stations on many of the road we were on only had 91 gasoline usually noted with a red label and diesel, no gasohol available.

The PPT garages I find the easier to understand, Caltex to me is confusing, and same with Shell.

Well after looking at this thread yesterday, I got the mrs to ask the local garage owner and he said, I can't see 91 gasoline ever being phased out.

Then I read this laugh.pnglaugh.png .

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/New-Year-to-see-end-of-91-octane-petrol-30191721.html.

I guess we can deduce that the garage owner isn't a Nation subscriber :)

From my research, and the posts on this thread, it appears that just about any car can run safely on "gasohol" (E10 or 10% ethanol ) but only more recent vehicles (those with a manufacturer's approval) should be run on E20 or higher, I.e. E85. Due to the engine cleansing properties of the ethanol, after a few fills of the stuff, one might want to check their fuel filter and if it's dirty...change it. Also, monitor the fuel lines and when it's time to replace them, be sure the new hoses are flex-fuel compatible.

• 10 years later...

After research, I would say that it isn't about the age of the vehicle, but the feed system. E20 is suitable to all injection systems (FI). Carbureted engines should not use this fuel because it will corrode parts. I made 60k kilometers on my FI 2013 bike on E20 and it isn't just cheaper, when I tried higher octane fuels like 95, I didn't feel any difference. Gasohol 91 feels weaker than E20 and it makes less kilometers too.

In summary: FI? = E20

On 1/3/2013 at 7:39 AM, culicine said:

I'd suggest running a minimum of 3 tanks or each fuel and compare the consumption. Then calculate the total cost for running on each type of fuel. E20 could still be cheaper overall, even if fuel economy is worse than on gasohol 91. I think 95 isn't necessary. Take note of the performance on each kind of fuel. I suggest 3 tanks, as I noted that it takes a while for the fuel economy to 'normalise'; maybe the ecu is adjusting it's self ??

This is how it is done

Do NOT use E20 in any engine that is not an E20 engine ,  , Only use E10 fuel or E5 or  Benzine

E20 will cause damage to any EFI systems that are only rated for E10 or older

When i run pure 95 Benzine I get full power 120hp and  say 50mpg on my Ducati 996

when i us Gasohol E10 in the Ducati 996  I only get 44mpg  and its down on power ,

My Z900 2022 runs fine on E10  

On 1/3/2013 at 7:39 AM, culicine said:

'd suggest running a minimum of 3 tanks or each fuel and compare the consumption

I did this with several fuels, Caltex 95 petrol benz and esso 95 supreme plus came out on top, esso slightly better acceleration and smoother, caltex slightly better fuel economy and more low end power. Kept notes on long drives and city drives over several months.