Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Phuket's Deadly ' Seven Days Of Danger' Claims Two More Lives

webfact

Phuket's deadly 'Seven Days of Danger' claims two more lives

Phuket Gazette

car.jpg

A Phuket rescue worker inspects the front of the bus that struck and crushed the two men in Thalang. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- Two men on a motorcycle on Thepkrasattri Road in Thalang were hit and crushed under a Phuket tour bus early this morning, bringing to seven the number of deaths in the ongoing “Seven Days of Danger” new year road-safety campaign.

As is relatively standard practice in Phuket, the bus driver fled the scene and is being sought by the police.

Capt Patiwat Yodkwan of the Thalang Police station was called to the scene of the accident, at a u-turn near the Tesco Thalang shopping complex, at 1:10am.

“There were two badly damaged bodies on the road and a bus full of frightened passengers. The driver had left the scene.

“The bus had yellow plates, was registered in Bangkok and was marked as a Passornchai Tour Company vehicle,” Capt Patiwat said.

The motorcycle that victims Adul Sutthisarn, 44, and Pairote Hemmin, 39, had been riding was lodged under a front wheel of the bus.

“The two bodies were transferred to the Thalang Hospital morgue,” Capt Patiwat said.

Police are investigating the cause of the accident, he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ives-19854.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-01-01

The Tour Company has, of course, the name and address of their driver. IMHO a driver who flees an accident should, regardless of guilt or not, automatically be sentenced to the maximum penalty of the law. Could be combined with a fine of 50-100.000B. Not one or the other.

The Tour Company has, of course, the name and address of their driver. IMHO a driver who flees an accident should, regardless of guilt or not, automatically be sentenced to the maximum penalty of the law. Could be combined with a fine of 50-100.000B. Not one or the other.

Agreed. And the name of the driver should be prominently displayed on the bus for all passengers to see. An enlarged copy of his ID card would be best.

But here, in Thailand? Not likely.

RIP Adul Sutthisarn, 44, and Pairote Hemmin, 39.

The problem is be he could be severely damaged by bystanders. So somebody fleeing an accident like this and turning himself in a bit later (and not 2 days to let the level of alcohol and other toxin's subside) I fully understand.

The problem is be he could be severely damaged by bystanders. So somebody fleeing an accident like this and turning himself in a bit later (and not 2 days to let the level of alcohol and other toxin's subside) I fully understand.

Maybe you can understand this reasoning but it's still wrong and should be severely dealt with by the law.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but when I sat my Driving Test in Indonesia many years ago one of the written questions asked what to do in the event of an accident. And the accepted answer was take off and turn yourself into a police station within 24 hours. Reason - to save your life from the wrath of the of the local crowd for killing a friend or neighbor.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but when I sat my Driving Test in Indonesia many years ago one of the written questions asked what to do in the event of an accident. And the accepted answer was take off and turn yourself into a police station within 24 hours. Reason - to save your life from the wrath of the of the local crowd for killing a friend or neighbor.

Well, let's hope that tomorrow there will be an update from the Gazette saying that he has indeed turned himself in.

I have to agree with you. If you've lived here long enough, you'll know to run and answer questions later!

Edited by Jimi007

Not on the official driver's test but pretty much the same "self preservation" motives in Bangladesh :)

Just a reminder: anybody taking off from the scene of an accident is presumed guilty according to the thai highway code. So, "self-preservation" is not advised as to the thai highway code. If you try and help the victims and call authorities to the scene, no reason for you to be lynched. Esp. if you did not drink or consume dangerous substance.

<snip>

Esp. if you did not drink or consume dangerous substance.

Aaah - you put your finger right on it. Many of these bus and taxi drivers do drink and take substances to keep them awake during long working days. Might not have the correct driving papers as well.

Just a reminder: anybody taking off from the scene of an accident is presumed guilty according to the thai highway code. So, "self-preservation" is not advised as to the thai highway code. If you try and help the victims and call authorities to the scene, no reason for you to be lynched. Esp. if you did not drink or consume dangerous substance.

Unfortunately 'no reason to be lynched' does not mean it won't happen.