Has Anybody Here Been Aggressively Questioned About Bank Deposits?

I take advantage of Aeon's free ATM service by withdrawing from my credit union in the USA twice per month and making the cash deposit into my K-Bank account here. It's very convenient and allows me to avoid the fee of an international wire transfer. Yesterday I was looking at my online register and it occurs to me that some third party might think that I'm earning an income because my deposit pattern is quite regular. I suppose I could save up the cash and make the deposits monthly or even bimonthly, but I'm not sure if that would look any better.

Will this look fishy to immigration? I know we can't predict how they might act, but I'm wondering if anyone here has been questioned about the source of deposits into their account when it comes time to renew an extension. It seems ridiculous that they might care about this, because how are retired foreigners supposed to top-up our accounts otherwise?

• Like 1

Some immigration offices ask for back up documentation for income letters. A bank book is normally the best method if transfers are coming from outside the country but some immigration offices have accepted ATM receipts for this purpose also. If you they did have questions you could show them a copy of your credit union statement showing the ATM withdrawls.

Since you mentioned credit union I suspect that you are from the US. You could send money to Bangkok Banks NY branch if you have an account with them which is only a domestic transfer (free from some banks/CU's) and then $5 in the US and 200 baht here. Info: http://www.bangkokba...ndsfromUSA.aspx

Edited by ubonjoe

Most of the time the ATM receipts are blank. They must never check the ink in those machines. And I had really never thought about keeping them before now.

Yes I can print out a bank statement from my credit union but it would be so easy to alter it to say whatever I want, I don't see how this could be used as proof of anything.

Most of the time the ATM receipts are blank. They must never check the ink in those machines. And I had really never thought about keeping them before now.

Yes I can print out a bank statement from my credit union but it would be so easy to alter it to say whatever I want, I don't see how this could be used as proof of anything.

No ink involved - it's thermal paper and lasts about a month. I take a photo of them with my phone and can print them again if I need to.

The only aggressive questioning is likely to come from your Justice Dept. folks in the states, who suspect that you may be topping up your account with laundered drug money, or donations to the 'widows and orphans fund' which is actually intended for Islamic militant gun purchases. Or something like that.

I do scan ATM slips of major withdrawals and store the files on my two computers.

Just in case.

As others said: the slips will deteriorate in a short peridod, absolutely unreadable (maybe forensics needed smile.png )

There is always a chance that immigration will ask for the source of your cash deposits.

As often it depends on the mood of the officer.

You would have to proof that they do not origin from iliegal work/activities in Thailand but come from abroad.

Edited by KhunBENQ

As others said: the slips will deteriorate in a short peridod, absolutely unreadable (maybe forensics needed smile.png )

cheesy.gif

Here comes another expert.

What do people on 'put the slips into the refrigerator' don't understand?

clap2.gif

i wonder if bringing it cash from home country , could you report it to customs to have proof it came from abroad with you, and even with the witdrawl slips from your bank to have a rapport from them , for purpose extension based on retirement?

(i know that only above 20 000$ value it is obligatory )

Hmm, wave a fistful of hundred dollar bills in front of the customs officers... what could possibly go wrong?

But you've hit on another problem. I did bring cash with me when I came here about 18 months ago. It's carefully locked away in the first national mattress, waiting for a better exchange rate. But when that day comes, I will be faced with the same problem: what to do with it? Drop 200+ thousand baht cash into my account?

I do remember writing on my arrival card that I was bringing cash and some precious metals into the country with me, but I don't know what they did with that card and I doubt it'll ever see the light of day again.

I suppose I could just use this cash as daily living expense and that way I'd never need to touch my K-Bank balance again. But I'm sure that would raise a different set of flags.

Hmm, wave a fistful of hundred dollar bills in front of the customs officers... what could possibly go wrong?

But you've hit on another problem. I did bring cash with me when I came here about 18 months ago. It's carefully locked away in the first national mattress, waiting for a better exchange rate. But when that day comes, I will be faced with the same problem: what to do with it? Drop 200+ thousand baht cash into my account?

I do remember writing on my arrival card that I was bringing cash and some precious metals into the country with me, but I don't know what they did with that card and I doubt it'll ever see the light of day again.

I suppose I could just use this cash as daily living expense and that way I'd never need to touch my K-Bank balance again. But I'm sure that would raise a different set of flags.

Second time i came to thailand after a 1 mont exemption , i got a triple entry multiple visa , i brought cash with me EURO 100 BILLS (THE GREEN ONES) 199621 THB worth that time , deposit by opening kasikorn account , no questions asked , only if the exchang rate ok ? and took some time for the exchange lady came back to desk (probably checking euros good ones )biggrin.png on receipt they write "travel expenses" this august22 2008

Next trip another 2500 euros same way 2009 , again no problem and receipt "travel expenses "

so i hink as long you could prouve wher came from no problem , even in my case no questions asked

It is only now as it could be possible that i go next one for extension and al questions on forum i should start looking for possible problems , before i did not even thought about.sad.png

i think no problem by rapporting by costoms , my eu bank does not transfer to Thailand , i use moneybookers.com prepaid card to wtdraw online from bank to card , and witdraw from card online to KK (before by applying that card they checked if it is genuine my account = & time controle), 15 hours later money on KK ,cheaper than ATM , but can not txt reason for transfersad.png , and on KK online banking only mensioning" INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER ", but no reason , example" for buy condo "or what so ever ...

Edited by david555

You could use it to open a foreign currency account. Most banks now have them.

Edited by ubonjoe