Upgrade To U S Watch List Seen: Thailand's Trade Status

webfact

Upgrade to US Watch List seen

PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The government is confident that Washington this year will upgrade Thailand's trade status to its Watch List on intellectual-property newsjscompliance, or at least put the country in its "Out-of-Cycle Review" process so that import-duty benefits can be maintained and continued export growth to the US market is assured.

This expectation results from a visit to the US capital by Intellectual Property Department officials early this month, during which they sought to persuade the Office of the US Trade Representative (USTR) to give appropriate recognition to the development of the Kingdom's serious attempts to crack down on intellectual-property violation and raise IP awareness over the past several years.

"Thailand should receive a good sign by being upgraded from the Priority Watch List of those counties with poor awareness of intellectual-property rights. Thailand has seriously striven to suppress violation and will continue to conduct many projects and enact laws to raise awareness and crack down on infringements," Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua said |yesterday.

The Intellectual Property Depart-ment reported after the visit that the US had indicated Thailand would this year be treated in one of two ways. The first option is to keep the country on the Priority Watch List, but to include it in its Out-of-Cycle Review process so that the Kingdom will have an opportunity to be upgraded later in the year.

The other option is for the Kingdom to be upgraded to Watch List status, but also to be placed in the Out-of-Cycle Review so that the US can closely monitor Thailand's moves and attempts to continue the crackdown on IP violation. Thailand could then be downgraded to the Priority Watch List if Washington was not satisfied with the outcome during the remainder of the year.

The USTR is scheduled to review the Kingdom's trade status by the end of April. Representatives of the US private sector, including the International Intellectual Property Alliance and US-Asean Business Council, have given out positive signals by suggesting the agency |will upgrade Thailand's trade status this year.

Meanwhile, to raise IP awareness among young Thais, the government is planning to include the subject of intellectual property in the national education programme from primary school through to the undergraduate level.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-21

If they made a serious attempt to stop this ,

the crime rate would seriously spiral out of controle.What are the poor going to sell other then jabba,gunja,

sex,

and copy.

Its dangerous here already,

lets not make it worse.

The copied stuff is crap annyway,

and the poor can't pay for the original, so its not like there going to cash in through the sales of the original windows XP .

It does seem there are fewer places selling pirated software and music....not a big drop but still a drop. Maybe that's due to law enforcement (giggle, giggle) or it's just not as profitable anymore. However, but, I just said there seems to be fewer places based on where I move around day-to-day in Thailand...obviously none of us visit every location in Thailand.....now, this doesn't mean there still aren't plenty of places selling pirated merchandise because there is. Definitely still no shortage of such places in central Bangkok based on my occasional shopping visits there.

Edited by Pib

"Thailand should receive a good sign by being upgraded from the Priority Watch List of those counties with poor awareness of intellectual-property rights. Thailand has seriously striven to suppress violation and will continue to conduct many projects and enact laws to raise awareness and crack down on infringements," Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua said |yesterday.

Ridiculous, Absurd, Hilarious, Unbelievable and Untrue.

• Like 1

Thailand has lots of IPR, except here the R stands for Robbery. However, the US could help themselves a bit by making legally acquiring online videos and music more accessible. Very few of the US suppliers of online content will allow business with computers having Thai IP addresses. Their concern is understandable but a) this does nothing to stem the tide of piracy and B) if people who want to pay for legally acquired media content can't do so, they join the ranks of customers for the pirates.

• Like 1

Again with the lies and propaganda.

The biggest lobbying group in the US is set to recommend Thailand remains on the Priority Watch List as they have not met any of the criteria for removal or a status upgrade.

The requirements are; full audit of government offices and equipment, to declare counterfeiting to be organised crime and to prosecute landlords that allow sale of counterfeit merchandise on their property.

None so far have been complied with.

Again with the lies and propaganda.

The biggest lobbying group in the US is set to recommend Thailand remains on the Priority Watch List as they have not met any of the criteria for removal or a status upgrade.

The requirements are; full audit of government offices and equipment, to declare counterfeiting to be organised crime and to prosecute landlords that allow sale of counterfeit merchandise on their property.

None so far have been complied with.

Cold and cruel...but true! As in all things in the LOS, the elite family who organises and distributes a majority of the pirated gear is not only above the law they're probably part of the organisation that makes the law! IMHO

Why would countries be worried about being placed on watchlists of bankrupt Western nations whose economies are sinking fast? Look at David Cameron going cap in hand to India and the toilet paper money we have in our pockets...

I find it rather wishful thinking on Nattawut's part to be suggesting this.

I can see no improvement in the protection of IP rights at all. You can still buy copies everywhere and everyone knows this.

Over the years, I have actually seen quite an improvement (except for games).

When I first moved to Thailand it was virtually impossible to find legitimate software at all.

Now it's relatively easy to buy Windows and Office for instance.

The exception seems to be games where it seemed like there were more legit shops than there are now. I think part of this may be the move online (steam, for instance), making it easier to buy online, I think a proportion of the legit buyers moved online (I know I did for the most part), so there's fewer shops with boxed games now...

It's still a lot easier to buy copies (more shops selling them for a start, and a far better software selection than the places that distribute physical disks), but at least it's no longer almost the only option.

• 2 months later...

BANGKOK: -- The government is confident that Washington this year will upgrade Thailand's trade status to its Watch List on intellectual-property compliance, or at least put the country in its "Out-of-Cycle Review" process

I wonder how this is going? :rolleyes: