Opening Bank Account

Jim77

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank years ago on a tourist visa...they still do it but best to go to the main branch in Nathon.

Picked this up the other day when I was sorting something else out

attachicon.gifBB Flyer0001 (Large) (2).jpg

Well i opened an account about 2 months ago with Bangkok Bank at bottom of Big C Chaweng. As i have said, no problems whatsoever, so i don't know why these other posters have been getting difficulties.

Anyone tried opening an account on Pha Ngan, tourist visa, no work permit, no "proof of address"? I guess I can just pop over to Samui otherwise... Are they all same same or is some bank preferable (lower costs, whatever)?

Anyone?

Do I have to have an embassy certified copy of my passport? All I have now is passport, tourist visa and driving licence. Plus I think I have a statement for my HSBC UK bank account somewhere...

I'll have to pop over to Samui anyway but to save time, would be great to know where I'm most likely to be able to open a bank account. Big C?

Good morning,

" For the first time! Today you can open an online account via SCB Easy Net by yourself and be able to use it right away! No complicated process, no passbook to bother you, no document required, Do not have to go to the bank, No more waiting, No time wastes. Available for both savings and fixed deposit accounts."

... that's what they say on this website..

https://www.scbeasy.com/v1.4/site/presignon/en/cnt/cnt.asp

Edited by Opl

Good morning,

" For the first time! Today you can open an online account via SCB Easy Net by yourself and be able to use it right away! No complicated process, no passbook to bother you, no document required, Do not have to go to the bank, No more waiting, No time wastes. Available for both savings and fixed deposit accounts."

... that's what they say on this website..

https://www.scbeasy.com/v1.4/site/presignon/en/cnt/cnt.asp

But you need an account to log in with to open an on-line account.
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Any updates to this? Looking to open an account asap. Will be here for at least 1 year on tourist visa.

Is SCB at Big C still the go?

It seems to be pot luck.

Different people at different banks interpret the rules differently. (Depending on what they had for lunch?)

My neighbour/renter found it easier when I gave him a one year lease and a copy of the house book! Thais seem to love 'official' documents.

Good luck

• Like 2

Any updates to this? Looking to open an account asap. Will be here for at least 1 year on tourist visa.

Is SCB at Big C still the go?

It seems to be pot luck.

Different people at different banks interpret the rules differently. (Depending on what they had for lunch?)

My neighbour/renter found it easier when I gave him a one year lease and a copy of the house book! Thais seem to love 'official' documents.

Good luck

Yes I have read through several threads and indeed there doesn't appear to much logic. I will just keep trying several banks and hope that they are in a good mood and eaten a nice lunch.

Ironically I need to transfer a decent amount of money to a Thai account for this exact purpose, paying rent! So it's a catch 22 situation.

• Like 1

Wearing "proper" clothing also helps - they're less likely to have an issue with someone in a business suit than with an obvious tourist in flip-flops, shorts and a wifebeater. Even if you don't have a suit, long sleeves help.