Thailand Mulls Health Insurance For Foreigners

webfact

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Are you suggesting that people trying to get a visa should pay for medical insurance before the visa has been granted? That's not right.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When U.S. folks turn 65 they are eligible for the govt national health plan called Medicare. Medicare Part A requires no monthly premiums for most folks and covers basic in-hospital care, but you really need Part B also to cover many other medical costs to include some hospital costs and outpatient costs. You can easily end up in the poor house or not affording medical care without the Part B coverage. For 2013 the Part B monthly premium is $104.90 for most folks. Unfortunately, for U.S. expats, Medicare only covers you in the U.S.; not if you are living outside the U.S.

Let's see if we can get Thailand to pressure the U.S. to allow Medicare coverage outside the U.S.!

In fact Medicare is not really a "national government health plan" of the same type as in Europe. It is financed by payroll deductions while we are working. My husband and I plan to stay here in Thailand, and we are being denied access to benefits funded by our *own money* that we paid while working in the U.S. Extremely frustrating!

I believe that Sweden and some other European countries allow and even encourage their nationals to use government-provided health care funds here in Thailand and in other locations where the cost of medical care is somewhat less expensive.

Having health insurance is a good thing but when it comes to Expat, what makes people think here that Expat traveling and living here don't have any! We are talking about Thailand not in your own country? The stupid generalization that Expat will be a burden on this country get real here?

Based on how medical insurance is sold here in Thailand and the difference pricing that goes on with Foreigners and locals again get REAL! Hospital like Bangkok/Pattaya are licking their chops just waiting to jack up the cost for visitors.

This government is best for doing something whenever a event comes around to show that they might actually know what they are doing to get the tourist here. The got to be the best at smoke and mirror! They can't provide 80% of their people good coverage and they are worry about expats and Cambodians? What a <deleted> Joke!

would be wiser to ask every foreigners coming to Thailand to have an insurance when they apply for Visa . Many countries ask this insurance if Thais want to travel abroad. Thailand should ask the same to those who apply for Visa in their embassies.

why impose anything to anybody?

people should be free to make their own choices

Correct, as long as someone makes the choice to let himself die, should he not be able to pay for his own medical care.

"Thailand mulls health insurance for foreigners"

This really has little if anything to do with 'ex-pats' living [hopefully] longterm [hopefully] here in LOS. It's all to do with knee-jerk [most-likley also belated and ill-considered] reactions to the open borders ASEAN changes in 2015.

Whatever the government appear to be pondering, the only beneficiaries will be those doing said pondering. Without doubt the 'ex-pat' community will unlikely [as usual] gain any benefit.

As an aside: One reason why it would be illogical to impose a compulsory health insurance on retired ex-pats is the non-availability of insurance for those who failed to take out an ongoing policy before they reached the age of 60; the maximum you can get afterwards is up to your 70th birthday. Don't know about you but I have every intention of living longer than that and so when I most likely to need medical cover it would no longer be available to me. Insurance companies are in business foremost to make large profits for their shareholders and 'we' all pay the price for this and sadly the increasing number of fraudulent claims that are made these days, Same with all types of insurance.

I am 50 and have one for under 20,000 baht/year. Annual cover $500,000, standard inpatient 100% covered, approved with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, only catch is a $2000 deductable - but that's ok, I have it for emergency situations like bad traffic accidents or things like that. I don't mind paying the small stuff myself. (and void in US of course, but that's ok too, not planning to go there anytime soon). Their policy goes up to 75 years of age, after that "subject to negotiation" as with most companies.

I honestly don't understand this, you say the main reason you have health insurance is in case you have an accident in a vehicle, assuming you own a vehicle - don't you have motor insurance, I think a lot of people need to review and think long and hard about what they are paying for and why

we someone who pays 35k a year but once he turns 70+ when he will likely need it most they refuse to continue cover <deleted>

• Like 1

When U.S. folks turn 65 they are eligible for the govt national health plan called Medicare. Medicare Part A requires no monthly premiums for most folks and covers basic in-hospital care, but you really need Part B also to cover many other medical costs to include some hospital costs and outpatient costs. You can easily end up in the poor house or not affording medical care without the Part B coverage. For 2013 the Part B monthly premium is $104.90 for most folks. Unfortunately, for U.S. expats, Medicare only covers you in the U.S.; not if you are living outside the U.S.

Let's see if we can get Thailand to pressure the U.S. to allow Medicare coverage outside the U.S.!

In fact Medicare is not really a "national government health plan" of the same type as in Europe. It is financed by payroll deductions while we are working. My husband and I plan to stay here in Thailand, and we are being denied access to benefits funded by our *own money* that we paid while working in the U.S. Extremely frustrating!

I believe that Sweden and some other European countries allow and even encourage their nationals to use government-provided health care funds here in Thailand and in other locations where the cost of medical care is somewhat less expensive.

When it comes to the U.S. our government talks big about a Global economy yet our Medicare system would save millions if they arrange for International accredited hospital overseas for coverage but they don't.

Not sure if your are right or wrong? But living here and knowing many Expats from Europe and U.K. I don't know of anyone that get health care in these countries that allows direct payment? Most I know when they get sick or need a operation fly home which is exactly what I plan to do when it time for me to apply for Medicare. At that age I will buy minimum what i need to fix me up and catch a flight home if possible.

I am 50 and have one for under 20,000 baht/year. Annual cover $500,000, standard inpatient 100% covered, approved with Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, only catch is a $2000 deductable - but that's ok, I have it for emergency situations like bad traffic accidents or things like that. I don't mind paying the small stuff myself. (and void in US of course, but that's ok too, not planning to go there anytime soon). Their policy goes up to 75 years of age, after that "subject to negotiation" as with most companies.

I honestly don't understand this, you say the main reason you have health insurance is in case you have an accident in a vehicle, assuming you own a vehicle - don't you have motor insurance, I think a lot of people need to review and think long and hard about what they are paying for and why

we someone who pays 35k a year but once he turns 70+ when he will likely need it most they refuse to continue cover <deleted>

I guess you don't live here nor have you ever research as to how insurance is actually sold here?

Is this specific Insuarnce by the GOV or for retired foreigners?? I have already had Thai health insurance since 2006 in Thailand. WWW.Thaihealth.co.th thru the Pattaya expats club group plan its usable only thru health insurance network hospitals with a deductable but is good price in case i have somethingserious happen. The thai health insurance company is @ 121/89 RS tower, 31st floor, Ratchadaphisek Roadm Dindaend, Bangkok 10400 tel (66) 2642 3130

The healthcare business is a defacto monopoly only Americans would lie to themselves by telling the world that their are market forces at work.

You took the words right out of my mouth TragicKingdom.

Anyone who kids themselves there is anything approaching an open and fair market in US healthcare is deluded.

Starting at the top: is there an unlimited supply of the first resource.......doctors and nurses? No, there's a highly limited supply so you can't apply open market policies.

Same goes for Big Pharma the biggest criminal enterprise in the world who "adapt" evidence and bribe doctors and congressmen unceasingly something which is a crime in the normal world.

Add to this over litigation and over diagnosis (great for lawyers and doctors) which is doubling medical costs and crippling the US economy, and throw in the incredible complication insurance, co-pays, etc etc adds to the lives of people just when they're in no condition to deal with it, and you've got something to be avoided at all costs.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 2

I had LMG health insurance for quite a few years here in Thailand. They said they would never cancel me because of age. What they didn't tell me is that they would boost the premiums enough to price me out. The policy had a 1.2 million baht per occurrence limit. These days that's not enough anyways.

I am now self insured and if I have a long drawn out illness, I guess I could go to the US and use medicare. No one seems to know what Obummercare is going to be like or if an expat could even use it. When I turned 65 years old, the lady from Social Security told that since live in Thailand that it would be a waste of money for me to pay for part B.

I dunno... Not so sure it would be a waste of money. I mean, when you're older and sick and maybe dying, you probably won't have the time, interest or ability to think about whether Part B would be a waste of money or not. But if it could help you to not die or not be sick somehow, then you'd probably wish you had it. If it's not too expensive, I'd go ahead and get it, even though Medicare is unusable outside the USA.

Also, if you became ill and somehow were still healthy enough to return to the U.S., you'll find you can't just start to pay for Part B and have immediate access. There are just a few months each year for "open enrollment" and it doesn't go into effect immediately -- you have to wait several months. Definitely worth signed up for Part B when you turn 65.

I guess you don't live here nor have you ever research as to how insurance is actually sold here?

Vehicle insurance covers injuries to third parties, not to the vehicle owner.

Yes, there are insurance policies available here that will continue coverage without an upper age limit -- but the rates do increase with each 5-year "age band". As long as you keep making the payments, you'll have coverage.

What a hair-brained, pin-headed idea, and a solution in search of a problem. For one thing, many foreigners who come here have the means and are healthy enough to self-insure, and there's absolutely no reason to deny them this option. For another, what evidence can you show that uninsured foreigners in need of medical care have been a significant & widespread problem in Thailand? For yet another, medical "insurance" can take many different forms. Military & federal retirees might not have "insurance verification" ids or other documentation that conforms to that which private insurees might often have, and yet are covered in Thailand. Does the whole world now have to create some kind of standardized medical insurance id card just to accommodate this non-problem? Oh, or maybe we could have a global database for medical insurees everywhere. Or maybe we just create a new training program for immigration officers everywhere so they can know what questions to ask and how to make this determination for every single traveler passing through immigration (that is, after someone figures it out in the first place!). Or MAYBE this'll turn into a scheme to shake down travelers for some worthless insurance policy when they apply for a visa, that will amount to nothing more than some tea money for somebody somewhere in the bureaucracy (I know, that would NEVER happen in Thailand, right?).

The bureaucratic, do-gooder mind at work... More regulations and more government prying is always better. Sheesh. And people wonder how we ever got to where we are today.

• Like 1

Is this specific Insuarnce by the GOV or for retired foreigners?? I have already had Thai health insurance since 2006 in Thailand. WWW.Thaihealth.co.th thru the Pattaya expats club group plan its usable only thru health insurance network hospitals with a deductable but is good price in case i have somethingserious happen. The thai health insurance company is @ 121/89 RS tower, 31st floor, Ratchadaphisek Roadm Dindaend, Bangkok 10400 tel (66) 2642 3130

some details might be helpful - anual cost - deductable - age restrictions - previous conditions - what's covered - limitations - cover value etc

I agree... Part of the Visa application process should be proof of medical insurance. Visa exemption stamp on arrival should be granted with proof of return flight and proof of medical insurance. Entrance Via Land border could also require a proof of medical insurance.

Perhaps - Without Proof of Medical insurance a Health Service tax on arrival would be a good form to ensure treatment is covered for tourists.

Self flagellation any more daft suggestions for the Thai government to screw a few more baht out of the foreigner trying to live here why not

add to that a tax on enjoyment and how about a non returnable security deposit to ensure good behavior, or something else like that. :(

What a hair-brained, pin-headed idea, and a solution in search of a problem. For one thing, many foreigners who come here have the means and are healthy enough to self-insure, and there's absolutely no reason to deny them this option. For another, what evidence can you show that uninsured foreigners in need of medical care have been a significant & widespread problem in Thailand? For yet another, medical "insurance" can take many different forms. Military & federal retirees might not have "insurance verification" ids or other documentation that conforms to that which private insurees might often have, and yet are covered in Thailand. Does the whole world now have to create some kind of standardized medical insurance id card just to accommodate this non-problem? Oh, or maybe we could have a global database for medical insurees everywhere. Or maybe we just create a new training program for immigration officers everywhere so they can know what questions to ask and how to make this determination for every single traveler passing through immigration (that is, after someone figures it out in the first place!). Or MAYBE this'll turn into a scheme to shake down travelers for some worthless insurance policy when they apply for a visa, that will amount to nothing more than some tea money for somebody somewhere in the bureaucracy (I know, that would NEVER happen in Thailand, right?).

The bureaucratic, do-gooder mind at work... More regulations and more government prying is always better. Sheesh. And people wonder how we ever got to where we are today.

great post and 100% correct

the people wanting compulsury insurance are those that currently have it and an obvious chip on their shoulder for those that choose not to - it's a hairbrained idea from those that can see no further than the end of their nose, please keep paying your premiums and stop telling people who choose not too how to run their lives and when you reach 70 reflect on your rather foolish loyalty and were it got you

This is the start of something good. It is also the realization by the Thai government that there is a vast amount of money to be made in this area. Let's face it there is not going to be anything really offered free to us. This like medical coverage in teh states (Sorry Canada has that great insurance company) is gong ot be competitive with the commercial products that are out there.

I would not be surprised that once it is established that it may be a requirement for annual visa renewals but right now the Thai government does not have the means to know whether or not I have medical insurance. There is no way at this point to tell if it is LIVE or KHOASAN.

I will definitely be interested to see what the prices are and hope HE PRICE IS RIGHT"

Vehicle insurance covers injuries to third parties, not to the vehicle owner.

Yes, there are insurance policies available here that will continue coverage without an upper age limit -- but the rates do increase with each 5-year "age band". As long as you keep making the payments, you'll have coverage.

what ? vehicle insurance covers the owner if you have that policy

This is the start of something good. It is also the realization by the Thai government that there is a vast amount of money to be made in this area. Let's face it there is not going to be anything really offered free to us. This like medical coverage in teh states (Sorry Canada has that great insurance company) is gong ot be competitive with the commercial products that are out there.

I would not be surprised that once it is established that it may be a requirement for annual visa renewals but right now the Thai government does not have the means to know whether or not I have medical insurance. There is no way at this point to tell if it is LIVE or KHOASAN.

I will definitely be interested to see what the prices are and hope HE PRICE IS RIGHT"

The Thai government is not interested in your insurance status and never will be - if you choose to live here then it is a private matter as to how you choose to cover yourself, insurance is only compulsary when you can cause harm to a 3rd party

Right now for visa applications you need to provide finacial statements, the reason is not clearly stated but I would suggest it involves medical cover to an extent

nice to see they finally are going to offer US something ?

for people who already live here 5, 10, 20 years...

when can we expect some basic HUMAN rights? as the right to stay with our family without all that crappy paper work each year and the right to own our own business 100% and 1 rai of land to build our house with our money, not of the "wife"

Irrationality and xenophobia are trademarks of these societies, and why they'll continue to remain dependent on innovations and advances arising elsewhere. Still, I sure as **** wouldn't want to be living back in Farangistan, however.

Only time I've ended up in the hospital here was for a nasty little flu. 100 baht for the check-up and a rainbow cocktail of medication, plus the "Brown Mixture". I think you'd have to have a pretty nasty problem or bend-up for the insurance to be worth it - plus most insurances don't cover the primary risk I notice in Thailand: traffic accidents.

"Thailand is also working on a plan to address the healthcare needs of populations in adjacent countries, such as Cambodia and Laos, as well."

LOL.

Self flagellation any more daft suggestions for the Thai government to screw a few more baht out of the foreigner trying to live here why not

add to that a tax on enjoyment and how about a non returnable security deposit to ensure good behavior, or something else like that. sad.png

I can't imagine that Thailand will ever impose a requirement for tourists on transit visa or visa on arrival to show evidence of medical insurance or sufficient funds. There are just too many arrivals, the cash generated is too large and the risks of two week package tourists racking up hospital bills they can't pay is a very low percentage of the income.

If it ever happened, it would apply to people seeking visas in Thai embassies and consulates abroad or visa extensions in Thailand. Rather than bother themselves with having to read complex insurance policies that would have to be translated by morons into incomprehensible Thai and then notarised by the MoFA, they are much more likely to simply raise the financial hurdles for retirement and marriage extensions. They do that every few years anyway (I think the original retirement extension requirement was B200,000) to catch up with inflation. If they raised it by a big enough increment they would probably feel satisfied that would cover medical emergencies, as well as getting rid of the bottom end of the foreign retirees they don't want anyway. Job done.

I don't agree with this type of government thinking but I think it is as well to appreciate how they view foreigners, so as not to have any nasty surprises. They certainly don't care if foreigners have Thai families or not. If they don't make the cut they don't make it and should go home and persuade their governments to take care of their foreign wives and children, as far as they are concerned.

What was being discussed by the minister was something to do with ASEAN anyway.

Edited by Arkady

I have free health cover in Thailand at my local hospital. If they cannot handle the situation I would be transferred to another, bigger, hospital, if referred, also free.

From reading most of this post I don't think you guys have a clue about this.

Have you got yellow books yet?

is this a joke?

most foreigners are covered because either they pay by creditcard

or have social security such as BUPA or others

maybe it would be wiser to take care first of the locals,

a return flight doesnt proove anything, maybe if you fly from time to time you would know a return ticket costs about 25% percent more than one way. all the Nigerians in SKvit Soi 3 know about this

have a nice day

I have free health cover in Thailand at my local hospital. If they cannot handle the situation I would be transferred to another, bigger, hospital, if referred, also free.

what is a yellow book, i know the red one written by Mao Tse Tung

what is a yellow book, i know the red one written by Mao Tse Tung

i forgot to mention: nothing is free in life, I dont pay in what i call BUMBUMGLAD(not a spelling error, just having fun) , i pay the whole year long

no money no honey and more important love doesn't pay food

The Thai government is not interested in your insurance status and never will be - if you choose to live here then it is a private matter as to how you choose to cover yourself, insurance is only compulsary when you can cause harm to a 3rd party

Right now for visa applications you need to provide finacial statements, the reason is not clearly stated but I would suggest it involves medical cover to an extent

Smedly

I agree that at this time they have no interest in medical coverage, But in 3 years I have learnt one thing NEVER EVER discount their desire to get money from those that they can.

The reason for financial statements is the same as anywhere. They know that the odds are that if you do not have the financial ability to pay your bills or show a legal inflow of cash that the chances are you are either going to be a burden on the country or be doing something not nice or legal.

I simply stated that I would not be surprised that somewhere along the line they got the idea to make it compulsory to have state health insurance so that they can make a little more money from us.

After all government never ever does something unless there is an ability to make money or help other rich Thai get richer.

many foreigners do not have to apply for a VISA, get a belgian passport

only countries i have to apply are: USA, 2 days, Ozzie same day, electronic, China same day, Nigeria but who wants to go????????????