Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Phuket Mob Surrounds British Expat Who Hit Motorcyclist

webfact

if i remember well, 16yo can obtain a driving licence fit to drive only motorcycles under 110cc.

that honda is how much? i can spot a front disc brake wider that the standard, plus tires apparently too tight for rims...

drunk driving or not, if i were the brit i'd hire a laywer, and if there are enough circumstances, i'd sue the boy's family

or, if indeed he was drink driving and caused an accident, he takes responsibility for his stupidity and fairly compensates the injured rider...

If the 16 year old boy was not riding the motorbike legally, he should not get any compensation, and if the Brit was driving over the drink driving limit, he should be jailed and fined.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i remember well, 16yo can obtain a driving licence fit to drive only motorcycles under 110cc.

that honda is how much? i can spot a front disc brake wider that the standard, plus tires apparently too tight for rims...

drunk driving or not, if i were the brit i'd hire a laywer, and if there are enough circumstances, i'd sue the boy's family

or, if indeed he was drink driving and caused an accident, he takes responsibility for his stupidity and fairly compensates the injured rider...

Only if the motorbike rider was riding legally.

Perhaps a silly question, but was the 16 year old victim licensed? and if he was not, was he also fined for driving without a license?

What's that got to do with the incident - no driving license, no helmet, under the influence. I'm talking about the Thai 'victim' here. If it's proven that the farang was drunk then that will be the crux of an accident investigation/legal proceedings.

If anyone is riding a motor cycle underage or without a helmet etc, and is hurt in an accident, they and/or their parents should be punished by law.

Two drunk Thais kicked me and the motorcycle over in Kalasin Sunday at 5:30 a/m I was going for coffee in the cycle lane very slowy, they were walking towards me, I went down on the higway. The police report says that my bike fell down, no mention of the one Thai who kicked me over. I hope he broke his leg, since I suffered more injuries to add to the roll I took 3 weeks ago.

I will not stop if I hit a Thai, I will keep going. I hope lots of Thais are reading this.

So would I, but lots of Thais reading this????

Only if the motorbike rider was riding legally.

No, also if he was underage or did not have a DL.

Two drunk Thais kicked me and the motorcycle over in Kalasin Sunday at 5:30 a/m I was going for coffee in the cycle lane very slowy, they were walking towards me, I went down on the higway. The police report says that my bike fell down, no mention of the one Thai who kicked me over. I hope he broke his leg, since I suffered more injuries to add to the roll I took 3 weeks ago.

I will not stop if I hit a Thai, I will keep going. I hope lots of Thais are reading this.

So a Thai kicks you over and now you hate Thais? Sounds like you're in the wrong place.

Who Mentioned hating Thais?

That was the impression your post gave.

if the driver was drunk...he's guilty..end of story. What the young man was doing is realy irrelevant - he could have been riding a pushbike - or even just walking down the street and the drunk driver hit him. A comment about not being able to smell alcohol on the breath is quite correct which is why the police usually say they could smell liquor on the breath. If you can't smell if someone (their breath) has been drinking then you need to be concerned, it is one of the easiest smells to detect...unless of course you have been drinking yourself.

All we know is that there was an accident involving a 16 YO Thai and a 48 YO Brit. The Thai is in hospital. A newspaper report claims that one police officer said he smelled alcohol on the Brit.

Edited by LivinginKata
rude remark removed

All we know is that there was an accident involving a 16 YO Thai and a 48 YO Brit. The Thai is in hospital. A newspaper report claims that one police officer said he smelled alcohol on the Brit.

You have a road accident between a 16 year old Thai kid, and a 48 year old Brit. One has money, the other doesn't. In between, is a corrupt police force, and probably a corrupt police officer in charge of the investigation.

No doubt, he will be looking for his "mediation of compensation and lessening of charges commisssion."

If the same accident occurred, but was Thai on Thai, it probably would never have made the news. The reason this is news, is because of the interest all the expats here have in just how much money they are going to "screw" out of the Brit.

It's not rocket science.

@bearpolar. You've hit the nail on the head, the police have claimed that they smelt alcohol on his breath so all the TV hang 'em high brigade have convicted Ian already with at least one keyboard warrior calling for his deportation.

I will add that I have no time for people driving when drunk or even with enough alcohol to impair their judgement, there is no excuse for it whatsoever, but I don't know if Ian had one or ten glasses of wine, or indeed any, and I suspect no one who has posted here does either.

Unlike a lot of other posters who seem to know the facts, I wasn't there, so I will wait for the truth to out.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

More importantly, we don't know who actually caused the accident. Just because Ian may have been driving under the influence, that does not automatically mean the accident was his fault.

Yes, I have yet to see any reporting on how this accident occurred. However, if Ian is proven to have been over the alcohol limit then that places him at a disadvantage in answering the investigators.

A "disadvantage" yes - but not automatically at fault.

Picture this scenario.

You are sober, driving along, totally legal in every way. A 16 year old Thai kid pulls out of a Soi, right in your path, and you have right of way. You hit him. It's his fault.

Now picture the same scenario, but you are driving along after a few bottles of suds, maybe drunk, may be just a couple of bottles after work, now the whole lot is your fault. Forget about the kid pulled out of a Soi - you wear the lot.

We don't know the circumstances of this accident - probably never will know the truth. Ma be Ian was really drunk and ran up the back of the Thai kid. May be the Thai kid pulled out in front of him.

One thing is for sure, a corrupt police force is a corrupt police force, and Ian has just "given them an inch" - and no doubt they "will take a mile."

He's lucky he didn't kill the kid, otherwise, he would be sitting in a gaol cell right now, calling in all of his assets to buy his freedom back, and may be looking at going back home, to work in the real world, rather than the lifestyle he has made here, and yes, it could happen to any of us, given certain circumstances.

UPDATE PG

Correction: The original story yesterday named the driver, as repeatedly confirmed and spelled out to our reporters by Thalang Police Sub Lt Niphon Temsang, as "Martin Ian Potter". His reports of the surname were incorrect. The driver charged over the incident was Martin Ian Foster, who reportedly works in the hotel industry on Koh Maphrao.
The Gazette obtained the correction today when responsible police officers at Thalang Police Station allowed our reporters to finally sight the charge sheet, a request which had been denied by Sub Lt Niphon.

Sub Lt Niphon was not available today for comment.

So,

Martin Ian Foster, who reportedly works in the hotel industry on Koh Maphrao.

Better known to the community? coffee1.gif

Picture this scenario.

You are sober, driving along, totally legal in every way. A 16 year old Thai kid pulls out of a Soi, right in your path, and you have right of way. You hit him. It's his fault.

Now picture the same scenario, but you are driving along after a few bottles of suds, maybe drunk, may be just a couple of bottles after work, now the whole lot is your fault. Forget about the kid pulled out of a Soi - you wear the lot.

Yes, you would be blamed for the accident, both here and in other countries. If only because you were drunk, reactions delayed, etc.

Don't drink and drive and open yourself to these things, here or anywhere else.

Picture this scenario.

Yes, you would be blamed for the accident, both here and in other countries. If only because you were drunk, reactions delayed, etc.

Not true.

The insurance companies would argue contributory negligence for compensation purposes, but the fault of the accident still remains, mostly, with one party.

By your reasoning, if there was an accident involving two drink drivers, both would be at fault, for the one accident. That is possible, but pretty rare.

If you are driving along, under the influence, and someone goes through a red light, for example, and crashes into you, the accident is not your fault, just becaue you are under the influence. Sure, you will be fined drink driving, but the fault of the accident remains with the red light runner.

Agreed, you are exposing yourself here to the bigger rip off, if you have an accident and have been drinking.

Given "the mob" becoming aggressive with the farang, I doubt there would be any witnesses come forward to corroborate his possible version of events that the kid pulled out in front of him, even though he may have.

That said, as mentioned, the kid could have been in the right and this drunk farang run up the back of him, so, in that case, he should wear the lot.

We may never know what really happened.

Picture this scenario.

Not true.

The insurance companies would argue contributory negligence for compensation purposes, but the fault of the accident still remains, mostly, with one party.

By your reasoning, if there was an accident involving two drink drivers, both would be at fault, for the one accident. That is possible, but pretty rare.

If you are driving along, under the influence, and someone goes through a red light, for example, and crashes into you, the accident is not your fault, just becaue you are under the influence. Sure, you will be fined drink driving, but the fault of the accident remains with the red light runner.

Agreed, you are exposing yourself here to the bigger rip off, if you have an accident and have been drinking.

Given "the mob" becoming aggressive with the farang, I doubt there would be any witnesses come forward to corroborate his possible version of events that the kid pulled out in front of him, even though he may have.

That said, as mentioned, the kid could have been in the right and this drunk farang run up the back of him, so, in that case, he should wear the lot.

If it is clear what happened it becomes a different stiry, like with the red light example, but in your previous example it will never be clear who was at fault, therefor the drunk driver was at fault.

You're wrong regarding insurance companies BTW, in many countries they won't even care too much, since they won't pay if drunk driving is involved. Or they'll only pay 3rd party and recoup from the drunk driver.

Seems to me there should be more than one TV member apologizing for besmirching Ian Potter's name on this board.

And <deleted> I hope no one is willing to wait for confirmation of the perpetrators BAC before condemning Mr. Foster.

Nice job lads.

• Like 1

Dont know why people keep mentioning the ferrari he didnt get away with it as people keep saying,it was just simply dealt with the thai way which involves paying compensation,im sure this ferang will have the same options available to him.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Now this comment was pure BS.

Farangs are always mistreated in these instances - the incidents reported are legendary...

As I have been told, Thai law says if a motorbike strikes a car, the motorbike (driver) was at fault, but is a car strikesa motorbike, then the car (driver) is at fault...

If true, such an idea flies in the face of logic.

How many times has a motorbike cut you off and you have had to stand on the brakes to avoid hitting it...???

99% of such accidents are due to motorbike riders ignoring the fact that cars cannot stop on a dime.

Dont know why people keep mentioning the ferrari he didnt get away with it as people keep saying,it was just simply dealt with the thai way which involves paying compensation,im sure this ferang will have the same options available to him.

Farangs are always mistreated in these instances - the incidents reported are legendary...

As I have been told, Thai law says if a motorbike strikes a car, the motorbike (driver) was at fault, but is a car strikesa motorbike, then the car (driver) is at fault...

How many times has a motorbike cut you off and you have had to stand on the brakes to avoid hitting it...???

99% of such accidents are due to motorbike riders ignoring the fact that cars cannot stop on a dime.

I pulled out of a 7/11 into the path of a sports M.C. he broke his leg. Told the Cops its tecnically my fault but he was so fast i didnt see him. Police were deacent, no backhanders asked, insurance paid up, no charges made against me.

Picture this scenario.

Not true.

If it is clear what happened it becomes a different stiry, like with the red light example, but in your previous example it will never be clear who was at fault, therefor the drunk driver was at fault.

You're wrong regarding insurance companies BTW, in many countries they won't even care too much, since they won't pay if drunk driving is involved. Or they'll only pay 3rd party and recoup from the drunk driver.

You are correct if you are talking about property (vehicles) but I meant personl injury insurance, in western countries.

Also, what I am getting at, is due to the aggression of "the mob" - no one would have come forward to be a witness for Ian, if the accident was the kid's fault, so, on that basis, we may never know the true circumstances of this accident.

Edited by NamKangMan

I only ever had one accident here in Thailand. It was mid afternoon and I had not been drinking!

I had just left my office and got into my car (well little truck). I had started the engine and was about to move off when I heard a motorbike revving and clearly accelerating behind me and some shouting (this I later realised were the kids shouting at one another - excited shouting like having fun). As I turned to look a bike flashed past my drivers window - there was a thud and two Thai kids went sprawling across the road. In shock I got out of the truck and started over to where the kids were lying on the road - from nowhere out came several Thais all pushing me and one particular obnoxious individual was screaming at me. I back away and waited by the side of the car - my office staff already coming over to protect me. In due course a policeman appeared and was accosted by the obnoxious one plus several other ruffian looking members of the family who had appeared from a shop cum store cum workshop thing across the road about 100m behind where my car was.

You could see the tire marks from the motorbike where the kids who were maybe 12 or 13 had screamed up the engine and shot across the road, presumably lost control and caught the front bumper. The policeman asked me to go to the police station later and said I was at fault. I was incredulous but said nothing. My staff were all shaking their heads. I called my lawyer, the insurance company and watched the kids be taken away on the backs of a couple of the family open backed toyota vans. About 40 minutes later the lawyer called back and said it would cost me 10,000 baht and not to argue or the police would charge me with a criminal offence and seek to have me deported.

At the police station the insurance arrived and the obnoxious man was there saying the 'FARANG' had to pay and kept going on and on. the insurance guy - a humble little man said he would pay compensation of 1,000 baht to the obnoxious man - it was like a comedy sketch. I called the insurance guy over who spoke pretty good English amazingly and told him what had happened. He asked if I had paid the police and I said I had as I had no choice. He said he understood my car had not moved as the police had already advised him and that I was clearly not to blame and he said he was sorry my VIP insurance did not cover the police 'envelope'. I asked why he was not arguing and he said - there is no point - it is a small amount of money and better just to get the matter over and done with. He was being compensated because the kids would not be able to help him work while they were recovering!!

The kids hospital bills were covered and they were moved to a better hospital at the expense of the insurance.

Before we left the obnoxious man came over to start on me again - at which point the police came over and told him in no uncertain terms to 'sling his hook, a few pointed fingers later and the policeman adjusting his gun belt sent the man off. I never saw him again.

Good luck Mr Foster. If you drink and drive you are putting yourself up for punishment as part of the risk is if you have an accident you will almost certainly be blamed no matter what the circumstances. Whether the person you interacts with is 10 years old riding the wrong way out of your house driveway having just nicked your garden gnome makes no matter - drunk = at fault. However the police are remarkably adept at twisting circumstances to ensure a contribution to their fund - I found this out later when my business was persistently frequented by police looking for money - there was no reason given just an expectation I pay. I didn't and shut the business because the hassle with the police, the tax authorities and all the crap paperwork and mostly useless scheming staff you have to continually watch just made it all neither worthwhile nor enjoyable.

Anyway .....

Just how is it bs it is what happened therefore true,i am not saying its the wrong or right way just the thai way.

You on the other hand are talking bs and what you have been told about thai law is wrong,however if you walk round with that atitude that you have then maybe it will be your fault all the time.

Thanks forvreplying to my post

"Witnesses reported to police that Mr Potter was driving at speed when he entered the street."

And what speed would that be?unsure.png

“We could smell alcohol on him,” Sub Lt Niphon alleged". Mr Potter was charged with drunk driving and reckless driving causing damage to a person and property Lt Niphon is also a doctor?

most Thai witnesses at these events have absolutely no credibility whatsoever,they just side with the Thai, same as the police do, no morals here, I know from experience, sadly.

I am guessing the first response of the mob was to collar the farang to ensure payment.

I am also guessing the boy lay in pain with his broken leg...alone...

The call for an ambulance would have been an afterthought of the vigilant mobsters...

• 5 weeks later...

baffles me how often thai police can smell alchool on farangs. I can smell a smoker that had his last dirtystick a day ago yet ive NEVER been able to smell alchool off someone unless they had a liter of whiskey poured on them though most people drink beers in the day and retain no smell..

50/50 chance this is a BS story to help out the kamikaze street "racer". If he did indeed drink both car and motorbike deserve this little warning to fix up their life and stop drinking on the roads/stop fixing up their bikes to do crazy maneuver with 0 skills

That is why do they do a bloodtest at the station.

So no worries, if he was sober he'll go free.

You're conclusions about the motorbike driver don't hold water and are based on nothing at all.

Do you really believe he'd go free if sober?

baffles me how often thai police can smell alchool on farangs. I can smell a smoker that had his last dirtystick a day ago yet ive NEVER been able to smell alchool off someone unless they had a liter of whiskey poured on them though most people drink beers in the day and retain no smell..

50/50 chance this is a BS story to help out the kamikaze street "racer". If he did indeed drink both car and motorbike deserve this little warning to fix up their life and stop drinking on the roads/stop fixing up their bikes to do crazy maneuver with 0 skills

That is why do they do a bloodtest at the station.

So no worries, if he was sober he'll go free.

You're conclusions about the motorbike driver don't hold water and are based on nothing at all.

Do you really believe he'd go free if sober?

Yes. He'll have to answer for the accident of course, and if at fault could get fined/jailed for that, but if sober he won't get into trouble for drunk driving.