Armoured Truck Heist In Chiang Mai: Guard's Story ' Suspicious'

webfact

ARMOURED TRUCK HEIST
Guard's story 'suspicious' : police

Varattaya Chailangka
The Nation

30201478-01_big.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Police investigating the disappearance of Bt9.2 million in cash from a Krungthai Bank (KTB) armoured truck on Wednesday in Chiang Mai say the story of one of the three guards forgetting his wallet is suspicious.

The guards, Chatpong Uthayan, 36, team leader Sudpreecha Thongpan, 46, and driver Nattawat Sai-udon, 26, all deny any wrongdoing.

They told police they arrived to deliver money to KTB's Mae Rim branch at 8.38am. But, bank officials weren't there yet, so the guards left their truck in the bank's carpark and went for breakfast - a stop not on the truck's schedule.

Chatpong told police that he forgot his wallet and asked Sudpreecha for the key chain, which held all three keys including the safe key. He then went to the truck alone to retrieve his wallet.

When the three guards returned to the truck, they found that three cash bags were gone.

The carpark under the bank has security cameras only at the entrances. Out of the 18 vehicles parked there, police suspect an Isuzu D-Max pickup might be involved.

Provincial Police Region 5 deputy chief Chamnan Ruadrew personally followed the investigation at Mae Rim precinct.

KTB General Services Co Ltd executive Pipop Srisukkho said the truck took nine cash bags from KTB's Chang Pheuk branch to deliver to nine other branches. The missing three bags held a total of Bt9.2 million.

As for insurance claims, Pipop said it was a complicated issue as to who is at fault - the armoured truck guards, the bank or other factors. Pipop also said the guards are not supposed to let the team leader hold all three keys.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-08

I thought it was against company rules to leave an armoured van unattended or is that just in the west. Oh well blame the remote locking, the battery when flat that should sort it.

As for insurance claims, Pipop said it was a complicated issue as to who is at fault - the armoured truck guards, the bank or other factors.

Pipop also said the guards are not supposed to let the team leader hold all three keys.

Not such a complicated issue then.

As for insurance claims, Pipop said it was a complicated issue as to who is at fault - the armoured truck guards, the bank or other factors.

>Pipop also said the guards are not supposed to let the team leader hold all three keys.

Not such a complicated issue then.

I would guess that the gaurds are at fault as they left a few Million laying around in an unlocked vehicle whilst they went to eat instead of gaurding..

You couldn't invent this stuff.

Tell you what, I'll nip back and get my wallet and leave the doors to everything open.

We're bound to get away with it - we'll have the cash to pay everyone off and still have loads left for ourselves.

What do you fancy doing next week?

• Like 2

Maybe if they paid guards enough money to actually care about their job and what they are guarding...

i <deleted> hate when people say this. for one, like doing your job well is only a factor of what you are paid. two, like as if the guards were paid B9.3 million, maybe they'd have some reason to care. where's the line? three, that it's acceptable to break the law, sell your ethics, and/or make an immoral decision based on what you are paid for a living. remind me never to do business with you or hire to you to work in mine, as you seem to be one of those that thinks money in and of itself dictates your self worth.

Have you heard the phrase "Pay peanuts - get monkeys"?

I do see where you are coming from but could Renoirs post mean that if the guards are very low paid, they will only recruit people that will not have a high regard for their job.

I have a rellie in the "Security Industry", in Europe, they are also on low pay and the biggest problem for my rellie is his inability to recruit staff who care more than say someone who fills the shelves at the supermarket.

You say"for one, like doing your job well is only a factor of what you are paid." - The problem here is that if the employee is of such a low grade, the employer cannot expect great things from him. If you employed a manager but only paid him the rate for a cleaner, how effective would you expect him to be as a manager?

As for an appropriate rate to pay a guard, ya got me there, I wouldn't know where to start.

Then you say "three, that it's acceptable to break the law, sell your ethics, and/or make an immoral decision based on what you are paid for a living."

Where did the report say that the guards had broken the law?

The report says "all deny any wrongdoing."

• Like 1

There were originally 9 bags in the van and there are 3 bags missing. The van had a crew of 3 men and ................wait a minute.......... I might be onto something

I guess 9/3 was too much of a math challenge. :(

• Like 1

There were originally 9 bags in the van and there are 3 bags missing. The van had a crew of 3 men and ................wait a minute.......... I might be onto something whistling.gif

You can't carry nine bags on a getaway motorcycle.

BTW do they not have the óne man stays in the truck at all times rule?

There were originally 9 bags in the van and there are 3 bags missing. The van had a crew of 3 men and ................wait a minute.......... I might be onto something :whistling:

Yeah, but mai bpen rai!

• Like 1

There were originally 9 bags in the van and there are 3 bags missing. The van had a crew of 3 men and ................wait a minute.......... I might be onto something whistling.gif

Not during meal times.

• Like 1

Breaking News. Thai armoured car guard's bank account receives major deposits triggering Royal Thai Police into conducting another in depth investigation.

Only until the culprit claims he got very lucky the week before, and won multiple lotteries in a row. Then the cops will say,

"Umm, sorry to suspect you. Let's go get some fried crickets and congealed hog's blood soup."

• Like 1