Retirement Today At Jomtien

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

(except non-immigrant L-A visa)

1. Valid passport, and
  2. ONE of the following documents:
      • An identity card issued by a government institution or university such as:
        • Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University Student/Professor Card
      • A letter of recommendation from
        • Embassy [Download Form PDF_Icon.PNG], International Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message [Download Form PDF_Icon.PNG], a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt) [Download Form PDF_Icon.PNG]
      • Other documents showing your name such as:
        • Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents showing owners of a fixed asset or Condominium Sale/Purchase Agreement

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proof of residence - could be many things.

In all the years I've renewed my Retirement Visa in BKK I was never asked to provide a Proof of Residence.

This is a first for me !!

Do they really want to see one in Jomtien ?

No.

Only for 90 day report.

Nice to hear about reports that go smoothly without officials looking for baht.

It would be even nicer to read through a positive thread without someone feeling compelled to insert some irrelevant, implied Thai bashing.

I've managed to spend over 15 years here without encountering any official "looking for baht" and I've always had good experiences dealing with Jomtien Immigrations.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Great to here that there are other locations as well that provide great service. I have been going to Pathum Thani immigration for 3 years and have never had any problems.

Quick fast and polite.

This year they even helped me with the address confirmation and called my girlfriend and waited until she emailed the info they needed.

Like I said I never spend more than 15 minutes to get anything done.

Makes me feel sorry for the people that live in BKK LOLgiggle.gif

The poster is correct - the first application for extension of stay counts as your first 90 day report - 90 days later you will do your first actual report using a TM.47 (if you do not travel out of Thailand before then). Renewing is not a report.

I arrived in the country with an O-A visa and did several 90 day reports before my first extension of stay. How can you wait for an annual extension of stay to do your first 90 day report?

Or have we drifted off the original topic which I thought was annual extensions of retirement visas?

Almost all will require this as that is what determines where you are allowed to apply.

I've supplied proof of my address for 90 day reports, but never been asked for it when doing the annual extension. On the application for the annual extension you put your residential address, which determines where you apply.

Edited by Suradit69

Most people starting retirement here do not arrive on a one year entry but on a normal O visa of 90 days (or even a tourist/visa exempt entry) so do not spend more than 90 days in country (even if multi entry) before they extend so have never done a 90 day report until after extending.

Wednesday 3 April.

09.54 arrived at Immigration, Rayong, by car.

09.55 got a queue number.

09.58 my turn, gave aplication and money.

10.01 got missing copies of my passport from the shop outside.

10.03 gav copies to the officer and was told to sit down and wait.

10.07 was told to stand in front of the camera for a picture.

10.09 got my passport back with retirement visa and multiple re-exit.

10.10 back in my car, going home...

Total time outside my car 16 minutes.

Will go back in 90 days. Guess I then have to spend 3 minutes outside the car.

Rayong is the best Immigration Office in Thailand!

Almost all will require this as that is what determines where you are allowed to apply.

Was not asked for any proof of address when I did my latest retirement extension at Maptaput last July. And, in previous years, the wife's blue house book has sufficed for this purpose - we haven't even been asked for our marriage certificate for dot-joining purposes!

Bit of a poor do IMHO, though, that you have to return to Jomtien the next day for your stamped passport - particularly as this flies in the face of the legal requirement for us farangs to have our passports on us at all times. Mercifully Maptaput have always, to date, stamped my passport there and then without the need for any further visit.

I have found that if you say it must be done today, it requires a 200 baht fee which goes into a box on the floor between the immigration officers feet. They then tell you 30 minutes, but it is ready in 5 mnutes.

Banks lie - you do not need an extension of stay to open an account - but you may have to visit more than one branch (even same bank one may open and another not due to personal/manager). At any rate believe you will find having an account to be worth while.

The banks may very well be lieing, but they were all consistent in their reason given as to why they couldn't open an account for me. I went to Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Kasikorn Bank, and Krunthai Bank. At every one of those, they all said the same thing - that as of the first of this year, they required an extension of stay before allowing an account to be opened. A 90 day non-imm O wasn't enough for each of those banks.

I have my extension now, so I should be okay if I decide to open a Thai bank account.

Bangkok bank is a good choice for you because you can transfer funds via their New York branch that is a domestic transfer and then are only charged $5 there and 200 baht here for the transfer. If you are getting social security payments you can even have that direct deposited into your account.

Info here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

The other day I left Jomtien immigration 20 minutes after entering it, having done my 90-day reporting and with a new certificate of residence in hand. I had been expecting to go back the next day for the certificate but they did it on the spot (200B).

That is unusual. The certificate is usually go in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. Wouldn't it be nice to get it in 20 minutes.

In years of doing my retirement extensions in BKK, I don't believe they've ever asked me for proof of residence.

I've always brought something with me, because of the periodic reports on that that seem to surface elsewhere. But never been asked to show thus far.

That said, the rules/practices for one Immigration office aren't necessarily the same as those at all the others. YMMV.

In Jomtien they do, without fail, want to see something with your name and your address on it. Any utility bill or a lease/rental agreement will do. If you don't have one then go to a Kodak store and ask for a rental agreement and ask your landlord to fill it in and sign it. And sadly enough, as everywhere in Thailand, one office's rules do not correspond to another offices rules.

If you are coming in to renew your RETIREMENT visa and your 90-day report is due almost at the same time, it is not and never will be considered the same thing at Jomtien and probably nowhere else. You must do both as separate procedures. Get your 90-day done first because you may not have access to your passport for a full day after turning it in for the retirement visa renewal. A 90-day report can often take as little as 5 minutes and is painless then go do your renewal.

Edited by oneday

Bangkok Bank has been recommended to me by several of my American friends because of the New York branch. I'm not old enough to receive social security yet, but I will probably look into Bangkok Bank for domestic transfers from my US credit union to the New York branch for convenience and to save some on ATM fees and the like. And, if I'm still living in Thailand when I reach the age to draw social security, I will have my account already established. Thank you for the recommendation!

Banks lie - you do not need an extension of stay to open an account - but you may have to visit more than one branch (even same bank one may open and another not due to personal/manager). At any rate believe you will find having an account to be worth while.

The banks may very well be lieing, but they were all consistent in their reason given as to why they couldn't open an account for me. I went to Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Kasikorn Bank, and Krunthai Bank. At every one of those, they all said the same thing - that as of the first of this year, they required an extension of stay before allowing an account to be opened. A 90 day non-imm O wasn't enough for each of those banks.

I have my extension now, so I should be okay if I decide to open a Thai bank account.

Bangkok bank is a good choice for you because you can transfer funds via their New York branch that is a domestic transfer and then are only charged $5 there and 200 baht here for the transfer. If you are getting social security payments you can even have that direct deposited into your account.

Info here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Edited by lopburi3
change reply font - in quote

I've never been asked for residence proof at Jomtien for visa renewal.

You do need it for 90 day reporting, however.

Since I am in and out of the country twice a year, I only do one 90 day report each year.

I didn't take a Spring trip this year.

I assumed my visa renewal counted as a trip to Immigration and consequently,

I was over a month late for my 90 day reporting. They let me slide without a fine!whistling.gif

They were very explicit in telling me they are quite seperate entities.

Wait, I thought this forum is only for complaints. How you can you post something positive? I'm sure it must violate a rule of some kind.

Come on over to Chiang Mai forum we have a thread for the good experiences that you had today.

Sorry forgot to mention ease of renewing retirement visa's dosen't show up here. But people do seem to be able to get them the same day unless they are late in the afternoon.

Not all is perfect here in the cooler climate.

Edited by hellodolly

I have been extending my visa based on retirement at Jomtien for nearly ten years and never been asked for money. It's really very simple.

1. Have the right documents

2. Smile.

3. Dress reasonably.

4. Smile.

5. Be polite.

Oh, and smile.

+1

Wednesday 3 April.

09.54 arrived at Immigration, Rayong, by car.

09.55 got a queue number.

09.58 my turn, gave aplication and money.

10.01 got missing copies of my passport from the shop outside.

10.03 gav copies to the officer and was told to sit down and wait.

10.07 was told to stand in front of the camera for a picture.

10.09 got my passport back with retirement visa and multiple re-exit.

10.10 back in my car, going home...

Total time outside my car 16 minutes.

Will go back in 90 days. Guess I then have to spend 3 minutes outside the car.

Rayong is the best Immigration Office in Thailand!

Encouraging to hear this as Rayong (Maptaput) are my local immigration office as well! I, too, have been impressed by their service in processing my 3 retirement extensions to date.

Didn't realise, though, that their excellent service extended to taking mug shots for the TM7 application form. Hitherto, I have been labouring under the misapprehension that I had to provide my own photos smile.png

When I go to Samui I am always charged 100 baht for photocopying even though I have done all the copying that is required and I also note that if someone hand over 2000 baht they never get there change Tea Money !!!!

Proof of residence - could be many things.

In all the years I've renewed my Retirement Visa in BKK I was never asked to provide a Proof of Residence.

This is a first for me !!

Do they really want to see one in Jomtien ?

They always want this. I use a photo copy of and bring along my driver's licence.

Most people starting retirement here do not arrive on a one year entry but on a normal O visa of 90 days (or even a tourist/visa exempt entry) so do not spend more than 90 days in country (even if multi entry) before they extend so have never done a 90 day report until after extending.

However the topic raised by the original poster had to do with the annual extension of a retirement visa. If you arrived on a "normal" O visa with the intention of changing to a retirement visa, you wouldn't be extending the "normal O," you'd apply for a retirement visa and your first extension of stay would not coincide with your first 90 day report on the retirement visa.

This is an unfortunate example of how advice on Thai Visa often gets so muddled. Anyone who obtains a retirement visa, whether arriving with it or by changing to one would make the first extension of stay of the retirement visa long after having made his/her first 90 day report as an "official" retiree.

Edited by Suradit69

There are no retirement visas available in Thailand. The only people arriving in Thailand with retirement visas are people arriving with an O-A visa (from their home country). This is only an option, never required.

Arriving with an O non-immigrant visa (not O-A) is common, and with that you can apply for an annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand and extend annually as long as you like. In Thailand, you apply for annual extensions of stay, and never for retirement visas. You can also start the process in Thailand by converting from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a single O at some Thai immigration offices as a first step to then later apply for an annual extensions based on retirement (if you qualify).

Edited by Jingthing

In years of doing my retirement extensions in BKK, I don't believe they've ever asked me for proof of residence.

I've always brought something with me, because of the periodic reports on that that seem to surface elsewhere. But never been asked to show thus far.

That said, the rules/practices for one Immigration office aren't necessarily the same as those at all the others. YMMV.

In Jomtien they do, without fail, want to see something with your name and your address on it. Any utility bill or a lease/rental agreement will do. If you don't have one then go to a Kodak store and ask for a rental agreement and ask your landlord to fill it in and sign it. And sadly enough, as everywhere in Thailand, one office's rules do not correspond to another offices rules.

If you are coming in to renew your RETIREMENT visa and your 90-day report is due almost at the same time, it is not and never will be considered the same thing at Jomtien and probably nowhere else. You must do both as separate procedures. Get your 90-day done first because you may not have access to your passport for a full day after turning it in for the retirement visa renewal. A 90-day report can often take as little as 5 minutes and is painless then go do your renewal.

"In Jomtien they do, without fail, want to see something with your name and your address on it. "

For the 90 day report, yes. For the extension of stay (there is no renewal of visas done there), they have always "failed" to ask for proof from me and many other posters. You write your address on the application and, if you are doing an extension of stay, you've been providing proof of the address every time you did a 90 day report.

I've been asked if I own my condo, which I do, and for the annual extension of stay nothing more in terms of proof has been requested although I always tote copies of utility bills and my deed along just in case.

There are no retirement visas available in Thailand. The only people arriving in Thailand with retirement visas are people arriving with an O-A visa (from their home country). This is only an option, never required.

Arriving with an O non-immigrant visa (not O-A) is common, and with that you can apply for an annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand and extend annually as long as you like. In Thailand, you apply for annual extensions of stay, and never for retirement visas. You can also start the process in Thailand by converting from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to a single O at some Thai immigration offices as a first step to then later apply for an annual extensions based on retirement (if you qualify).

You are correct, but everyone, including the staff at Jomtien refer to "the retirement visa." And when I applied for the O-A in Dubai the application procedure was for a "retirement visa," the term used by the Thai consulate there.

I also agree it is an ANNUAL extension, so one's first ANNUAL extension takes place after one year. For someone (not you) to claim that you can do your first 90 day report at the same time you do your first ANNUAL extension makes no sense. Even on Thai Visa a year is more than 90 days.

Edited by Suradit69

No it is not more than one year - most people do there first retirement extension of stay after being here for less than 90 days on a non immigrant 90 day visa entry and that application for extension of stay will be there first 90 day address report (as immigration clearly states):

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

You are correct, but everyone, including the staff at Jomtien refer to "the retirement visa." And when I applied for the O-A in Dubai the application procedure was for a "retirement visa," the term used by the Thai consulate there.

I also agree it is an ANNUAL extension, so one's first ANNUAL extension takes place after one year. For someone (not you) to claim that you can do your first 90 day report at the same time you do your first ANNUAL extension makes no sense. Even on Thai Visa a year is more than 90 days.

Yes O-A visas are typically called retirement visas, as I already said. The Jomtien staff calling extensions retirement visas is neither here nor there given that they aren't. When you say retirement visa referring to something other than O-A its hard to know exactly what you're talking about: conversion to an O visa in Thailand, an O visa from abroad that isn't an O-A but used as base for a retirement extension, OR a retirement extension. Those are all different things.

Edited by Jingthing

Nice to hear about reports that go smoothly without officials looking for baht.

It would be even nicer to read through a positive thread without someone feeling compelled to insert some irrelevant, implied Thai bashing.

I've managed to spend over 15 years here without encountering any official "looking for baht" and I've always had good experiences dealing with Jomtien Immigrations.

Then you're lucky. The first time I applied for an extension based on marriage I was offered " the express service" which cost 5 times the price but only took 3 days, or the normal which might take one or two months. The regime changed shortly after that and all the new younger officers in charge seem to have stopped that.

I live in Uttaradit, and the Nan immigration authorities are wonderful. Been real nice to me,.... no problems. My tough luck Nan is at the end of the road up in the mountains a 3-4 hour drive from Uttaradit that is a much more central to the province location ... and on flat land with good 4 lane connections. Oh well,... it is a nice drive if you like driving in the mountains.

And it's only a twice a year drive,... with only once a year 5 hour drive to consulate in Chiang Mai for the notorized income paper.

But worth it to live in wonderful Thailand !

Edited by JohnPrewett

And the good news is they are planning to open a new immigration office in Uttaradit, as it is a border province and the goal is to have a immigration office in each border province. But I'm not aware of any timeline.