Phuket Tiger Disco Fire Charges Parried, Delayed

webfact

Phuket Tiger Disco fire charges parried, delayed
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Chief Public Prosecutor’s attempt to levy a series of charges against Tiger Group CEO Piya Isaramalai and Sara Entertainment Co Ltd after a fatal blaze killed four people at Patong’s famous Tiger Disco nightclub on August 17 have been delayed for a second time.

“The charges were originally given the green light last month [story here],” Phuket Chief Public Prosecutor Chiengsean Panhya told the Phuket Gazette.

Simultaneously with the prosecution’s decision to move forward with the case, Legal Counsel for Tiger Discotheque, Thamrongsak Boonrak, submitted a letter asking the prosecution to re-think its charges before even taking the case to court.

“I have submitted a letter to the Phuket Public Prosecutor Office appealing for a ‘fair investigation’ to have the authority reconsider charging us on the allegations of wrongdoing,” Mr Thamrongsak said.

The Phuket Public Prosecutor’s Office now awaits word from the Office of the Regional Public Prosecution, Region 8 in Surat Thani – again – whether or not to proceed with the charges.

Tiger Group CEO Piya Isaramalai and Sara Entertainment Co Ltd face a charge under Section 291 of the Thai Criminal Code: causing death through negligence, as well as charges of causing physical and mental injury and trading after hours, Mr Chiengsean told the Gazette.

Mr Thamrongsak confirmed to the Gazette on Wednesday that in his letter he sought the prosecution re-evaluate all charges, citing the failure of police to carry out a thorough and fair investigation.

“I have sent evidence that we have collected, including pictures and videos taken by tourists, showing that the electricity was out about 15 minutes before the blaze started at the entrance. The evidence proves that the cause of the fire was not our fault; it is from the transformer outside of the venue,” he stated.

“We are hoping the Regional Public Prosecution in Region 8 will drop the case, as the fire was not our fault,” add Mr Thamrongsak.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Tiger-Disco-fire-charges-parried-delayed-20819.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-04-19

What has the police evidence got to do with the prosecution when they were illegally trading at the time apart from the construction materials. Go ahead and nail this group. Since when can a 'letter' from an accused halt proceedings? Thai law - total confusion reigns.

I guess it depends on the paper you use and how many pages you put in the envelope.

As I predicted right after this happened, they'll get off with some minor charges and a lot lighter bank account. From all acounts it was the new lighting system that started the fire inside with the illegal flammable materials. Said lighting system was photographed and posted in various media as it was being loaded and hauled away in the back of a lorry. A load of <deleted> and I'm not talking about the lighting system that was loaded into the back of the lorry.

Flammable materials, poor electricals, insufficient exits, trading illegally at the time: they would have the book thrown at them anywhere with a decent, no-corrupt, legal system.

I still have my suspicions over the timing of this fire.

• Like 2

Simultaneously with the prosecution’s decision to move forward with the case, Legal Counsel for Tiger Discotheque, Thamrongsak Boonrak, submitted a letter large brown envelope asking the prosecution to re-think its charges before even taking the case to court.

• Like 1

Man the Thai legal system is opening itself to ridicule. Why is this high profile case not put through a fast track - corruption I suppose is the answer - the inevitable strong arm that wrings the chicken's neck. All this achieves is to send the justice system backward another step. Truly sad is so many ways but I am sure Bob and Darren at Taipan are happy with the reduced competition - some people have all the luck!

Man the Thai legal system is opening itself to ridicule. Why is this high profile case not put through a fast track - corruption I suppose is the answer - the inevitable strong arm that wrings the chicken's neck. All this achieves is to send the justice system backward another step. Truly sad is so many ways but I am sure Bob and Darren at Taipan are happy with the reduced competition - some people have all the luck!

I don't know about "some people have all the luck" - if Bob and Darren from Taipan are ever seen as a real threat to profits, I'm sure they will be raided and a large quantity of drugs found.

That's just one way the Thai's "reduce competition" here, and take from you everything you have earnt, and some. They don't compete here, just monopolise.

Could you imaginge if a "real" fire happened in Taipan - Bob and Darren would still be in gaol.

If you are successful on Phuket, you have painted a target on yourself.

This result is known as from day 1. The only thing that talks in Thailand is MONEY!!! Especially in the hell hole, they call Phuket (worst place in the whole of Thailand)

Another one that doesn't know Phuket is a province. This, along with most of the crap that goes on in this province happens in a town, or as they now call themselves Patong City... But comments like yours are usually good for a bit of a laugh for the locals outside Patong.

• Like 1

I don't know about "some people have all the luck" - if Bob and Darren from Taipan are ever seen as a real threat to profits, I'm sure they will be raided and a large quantity of drugs found.

That's just one way the Thai's "reduce competition" here, and take from you everything you have earnt, and some. They don't compete here, just monopolise.

Could you imaginge if a "real" fire happened in Taipan - Bob and Darren would still be in gaol.

If you are successful on Phuket, you have painted a target on yourself.

You can be assured that they "pay their way" to ensure the operation runs smoothly!

• 3 months later...

I added a comment on the pussy gazette doubt if it will be printed.

Only said jump to the year 2020 and the headline will still read.

Case against the very rich owner of Tiger disco yet again DELAYED

They printed it! Woo-hoo! biggrin.png