I Can Pour My Own Beer Thank You.

GuestHouse

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...As for pouring a Guiness forget it. In Germany most beer is poured correctly as required by their type of beer...

This brings me to another question. With the German Lager I buy for consumption at home I find that the second glass tastes better when I completely empty the first glass before pouring the second glass than when I top up before finishing the first glass. Is this a false impression I have, or have others experienced the same?

...As for pouring a Guiness forget it. In Germany most beer is poured correctly as required by their type of beer...

This brings me to another question. With the German Lager I buy for consumption at home I find that the second glass tastes better when I completely empty the first glass before pouring the second glass than when I top up before finishing the first glass. Is this a false impression I have, or have others experienced the same?

Could this depend how long you take to down the first one?

If there's a small amount left and it's warmed up, topping up will not lower the temperature as much as completely refilling an empty (and slightly warm) glass?

I keep the beer mugs in the freezer with a splash of water in them (Spanish style) The beer, usually Chang - all I can get out here in the styx, is suitably chilled (even thrown into the freezer for half an hour).

The opened beer is put back in the fridge.

For the second glass I take a new mug and put the first one back in the freezer. Every mug as delicious as the first, no problem.crazy.gif

• Like 2

I suppose they do it to get you to drink faster. I drink draught beer so I don't have that problem, though in Thailand I drink half glasses as otherwise the beer warms up too quickly. I also think that many of the inconsequential things that bother us so much in Thailand are themselves a consequence of having too much time on our hands.

I prefer some foam on top but a lot of staff seem to pour without foam.

Really???

I don't like too much foam but it seems to me that many Thais just pour beer out into a straight glass giving about a third of a glass of foam.

For that reason alone I like to pour my own beer

Can someone please tell me how a pretty young Thai girl pouring your beer into your glass for you is a negative?

[Edit] - Only on Thai Visa!

Sometimes they don't become pretty until they've poured at least a dozen. sad.png

Reminded me of this advert:

• Like 2

This thread almost perfectly demonstrates the Mccarthyism to be found here on TVF.

My observation relates to a particular form of service which I do not appreciate - AS THE CUSTOMER I am allowed I trust to determine what meets my own expectations of good service where I am the recipient.

But no, this is TVF.

The usuals suspects respond with that mixture of imagined circumstances (well they need to imagine the circumstances in order to fit their own preconceived ideas).

The term 'Thai Bashing' is dragged out.

I must be drinking in a clip joint.

I must be miserable.

The gender, age and looks of the server need to be imagined.

But hang on a moment, there is nothing disparaging in my OP.

There's a number of others who have responded confirming they too don't like to have waiting staff pouring their beer for them, or indeed adding ice.... well surely up to the customer?

Not good enough for the Keyboard Warriors - a simple statement regarding a unwanted service is taken as a deep insult to Thailand.

There seem to be a lot of raw nerves and fragile egos out there.

Ya know.....Samran probably gave you the best answer/ solution

Order draught beer, and no more worries about bbeer being poured at a time you don't want it ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about the comments. It's human nature, rightly or wrongly, we tend to judge and find ways and our own ideas and projections to come to those judgement. Not necessarily factual, nor fair.

I would have closed this thread now, given you got your answer (but there's a possibility you dislike draught beer.....)

And seeing that you guys now wanna discuss how best to pour beer, foam no foam etc, I will just move it to the pub :D

In the post with which GuestHouse started this topic he did not say in what country and in what kind of place it is happening to him that unless he is watching his glass like a hawk, one of the other staff will invariable sneak up on him and top up his glass up. However, since the subtitle of the forum General Topic reads "A forum for general interest topics related to Thailand only" it is logical for readers to assume that it happened in Thailand. As the OP did not limit his observations to a particular type of place it is equally logical to assume that it happens to him in a variety of places such as bars, restaurants, clubs, private homes with domestic staff, etc.

rgs2001uk did ask the OP "...where did this take place?" and the OP chose not to answer this question and instead replied with something that comes very close to being a flame: "rgs2001UK off again on one of his rants against whats going on in his own head...'Thinly veiled anti-Thai rant' - Here we go again, TVF's own special form of McCarthyism' - stalking the board looking for the slight indication that members are not wearing the saffron tinted spectacles YOU have decided must be worn"

For the above reasons I am considering this to be a troll topic and I am now closing it.

mfr_closed1.gif

P.S. I have had a change of heart and am reopening this topic, more so since I just remembered that I asked a question to which I would love to get an answer and seeing that another mod is doing the right thing by moving this topic to the forum "Farang Pub - fun, entertainment and Expat life", where it is better placed.

Edited by Maestro
added eddit note and reopend topic
  • Like 2

I keep the beer mugs in the freezer with a splash of water in them (Spanish style) The beer, usually Chang - all I can get out here in the styx, is suitably chilled (even thrown into the freezer for half an hour).

For the second glass I take a new mug and put the first one back in the freezer. Every mug as delicious as the first, no problem.crazy.gif

Why didn't I think of this? It's the most logical solution, but I don't like to drink my beer at refrigerated temperature, more like at cellar temperature (I live in Switzerland), which is 16 °C today, a few degrees higher in summer. It has been mentioned in this topic that beer should be poured into a completely dry glass, I generally use a half-pint mug, and pouring the second glass within a few minutes after the first obviously means that the mug is not yet dry. Does this aspect of it really make a difference?

Keeping the remainder of the beer cool while sipping the first mug makes sense as it will otherwise warm up to my room temperature of 23 °C and if I can overcome my habitual inertia this is what I plan to do from now on, and get a fresh mug from the cabinet while I am at it.

Absolutely. I too like to pour my own beer at leisure and find it highly irritating when they keep topping it up after every few sips. I try to keep the glass on the far end of the table but they sneak in from the back. And if there is a bucket of ice for a companion drinking water or coke, they will put it into your cold beer too.

i like ice in my beer. I know, it is a sacrilege to do this as i am a aussie, but I really like it now .

Fizzy Asian lagers are so cr@p it hardly matters a jot that they put ice in it. Im with you - I've developed a taste for diluted beer here!

• Like 1

Absolutely. I too like to pour my own beer at leisure and find it highly irritating when they keep topping it up after every few sips. I try to keep the glass on the far end of the table but they sneak in from the back. And if there is a bucket of ice for a companion drinking water or coke, they will put it into your cold beer too.

i like ice in my beer. I know, it is a sacrilege to do this as i am a aussie, but I really like it now .

Fizzy Asian lagers are so cr@p it hardly matters a jot that they put ice in it. Im with you - I've developed a taste for diluted beer here!

Try drinking Chang.

Diluted? LOL.

Ok please put us out of our misery, where did this take place?

So what 6 people go to a bar, 36 bottles are consumed, each person pays for 6 bottles, whats the problem.

Where in farangland can I get a personal servant to add ice and beer?

Usually where I drink its based on eye movement, never mind yet another thinly veiled anti Thai rant, good old GH so predicatable.

rgs2001UK off again on one of his rants against whats going on in his own head.

1. I don't regard the fact that I have not told you where I drink as placing you in misery - I'd hate to deny you the pleasure of coming to your own baseless conclusions.

2. Whats this reference to paying for beers? I have not mentioned paying for beers - paying for beers is not the subject under discussion in this thread - It might be a discussion going on in your own head, but it has nothing to do with my OP.

3. Plenty of places in 'Farangland' will have staff top up your drinks for you - usually up market places where the staff have actually been trained how to poor a drink.

4. 'Thinly veiled anti-Thai rant' - Here we go again, TVF's own special form of McCarthyism' - stalking the board looking for the slight indication that members are not wearing the saffron tinted spectacles YOU have decided must be worn.

I suggest you stop dreaming up the style of life others live and address what ever it is that motivates you to do so... it might not be an easy journey, but you will feel better once you get to the root of the problem.

Oh dear oh dear, attack the poster not the post, some may consider that as a flame.

I wont be dragged down to that level, what I will do is offer some advice, try not to lose your composure in public, doing so may result in you making a complete fool of yourself.

As to whether thats the case here, I will leave for others to decide.

Ok please put us out of our misery, where did this take place?

So what 6 people go to a bar, 36 bottles are consumed, each person pays for 6 bottles, whats the problem.

Where in farangland can I get a personal servant to add ice and beer?

Usually where I drink its based on eye movement, never mind yet another thinly veiled anti Thai rant, good old GH so predicatable.

rgs2001UK off again on one of his rants against whats going on in his own head.

1. I don't regard the fact that I have not told you where I drink as placing you in misery - I'd hate to deny you the pleasure of coming to your own baseless conclusions.

2. Whats this reference to paying for beers? I have not mentioned paying for beers - paying for beers is not the subject under discussion in this thread - It might be a discussion going on in your own head, but it has nothing to do with my OP.

3. Plenty of places in 'Farangland' will have staff top up your drinks for you - usually up market places where the staff have actually been trained how to poor a drink.

4. 'Thinly veiled anti-Thai rant' - Here we go again, TVF's own special form of McCarthyism' - stalking the board looking for the slight indication that members are not wearing the saffron tinted spectacles YOU have decided must be worn.

I suggest you stop dreaming up the style of life others live and address what ever it is that motivates you to do so... it might not be an easy journey, but you will feel better once you get to the root of the problem.

Oh dear oh dear, attack the poster not the post, some may consider that as a flame.

I wont be dragged down to that level, what I will do is offer some advice, try not to lose your composure in public, doing so may result in you making a complete fool of yourself.

As to whether thats the case here, I will leave for others to decide.

If we're having a vote on it I reckon guesthouse is doing ok (that doesn't mean I agree with his op post) and you're the one making a fool of yourself.

Thanks for asking.

Why didn't I think of this? It's the most logical solution, but I don't like to drink my beer at refrigerated temperature, more like at cellar temperature (I live in Switzerland), which is 16 °C today, a few degrees higher in summer. It has been mentioned in this topic that beer should be poured into a completely dry glass, I generally use a half-pint mug, and pouring the second glass within a few minutes after the first obviously means that the mug is not yet dry. Does this aspect of it really make a difference?

Keeping the remainder of the beer cool while sipping the first mug makes sense as it will otherwise warm up to my room temperature of 23 °C and if I can overcome my habitual inertia this is what I plan to do from now on, and get a fresh mug from the cabinet while I am at it.

Quite so, my method is for hot climates.

Drinking in the South East of Spain, the bar's always give you a freshly frozen glass in the summer.

However, I note that many bars have a glass rinsing station and they use it to wet the glass before pouring the beer from the tap. In their case it seems a dry glass produces too much head.

They get the perfect head by lowering the glass towards the end of the pour.

The only problem with the frozen glass is that there will be a lot of condensation dripping from it - on to the table, then your lap. wai.gif

If ever visit the UK I appreciate their warm beer, the climate is so cold there sad.png

• Like 1

Quite so, my method is for hot climates.

Drinking in the South East of Spain, the bar's always give you a freshly frozen glass in the summer.

However, I note that many bars have a glass rinsing station and they use it to wet the glass before pouring the beer from the tap. In their case it seems a dry glass produces too much head.

They get the perfect head by lowering the glass towards the end of the pour.

The only problem with the frozen glass is that there will be a lot of condensation dripping from it - on to the table, then your lap. wai.gif

If ever visit the UK I appreciate their warm beer, the climate is so cold there sad.png

Lagers and similar beers seem better when served very cold. Guinness also seems better if served very cold. I prefer ales to be served not quite so cold as serving them at a very cold temperature seems to knock the edge off the flavor.

• Like 1

You should see them try to pour champagne at any of the big Thong Lor clubs. Even with a bottle of Dom they'll pour it out like whiskey.

Had a bottle of Dom at the 4 Seasons. The wait staff opened the bottle before they put it on ice... needless to say we got the manager and requested a new bottle. Don't wanna know who's paycheck that came out of. Best to just keep the bottle away from the wait staff.

You should see them try to pour champagne at any of the big Thong Lor clubs. Even with a bottle of Dom they'll pour it out like whiskey.

Had a bottle of Dom at the 4 Seasons. The wait staff opened the bottle before they put it on ice... needless to say we got the manager and requested a new bottle. Don't wanna know who's paycheck that came out of. Best to just keep the bottle away from the wait staff.

Now that's a matter of lack of training for sure, they were probably doing the best they could though.

When you don't know - you don't know!

However, places like that providing the service they do should employ competent staff and if they fail to do so they should bear the costs.

Well done for refusing to accept such poor service.

Mind you, off topic but, when a BKK taxi driver says he knows the way to xx but doesn't and ends up on a motorway (extra B50) and a huge journey - what should the customer pay?

I am really not sure why everyone jumped all over the OP here.

I also don't like anyone pouring my beer for me. I do like draft beer but that's not the solution. If I have a large bottle I prefer to pour it myself. Firstly, I don't like to be 'waited on' like that, it's only pouring a beer.

I don't always like to get my beer right down to the bottom before I top it up. It depends how I feel, how that last swig went down, how much is left in the bottle. Sometimes I may top my beer up quite quickly, sometimes I may prefer it go right down if it's been there a while.

That's just what I like, I don't expect every server to 'get that' about me, personally. If they do it then cool, not the end of the world but after that first one I tend to do it myself. I also drink at varying speeds (I am complicated wink.png) and I don't want to feel I am waiting for someone to pour my beer either just cause I guzzled it 2 minutes after they may have last glanced in my direction

If they pour and then put it on the trolly then I think 'damn, in a battle here' biggrin.png and if they don't come when I want to pour then I get it and if they look or come over I just say 'no problem, I will do it' with a smile and all is right with the world again

• Like 1

It's a minor grate indeed.

I live in London where if I want a beer in a bar I have queue up for anything up to 15 minutes, whilst other people physically push me out of their way, perhaps spilling beer on me in the process. I will then pay around 250 Baht to a grumpy man or woman who barely even acknowledges my presence on this planet. I then return to my seat... oh hang on there are none available.

Such is life

It's a minor grate indeed.

I live in London where if I want a beer in a bar I have queue up for anything up to 15 minutes, whilst other people physically push me out of their way, perhaps spilling beer on me in the process. I will then pay around 250 Baht to a grumpy man or woman who barely even acknowledges my presence on this planet. I then return to my seat... oh hang on there are none available.

Such is life

Bad manners and big cities seem to come as a package !