Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Torres can still score a lot of goals as he's shown this season but he has looked to struggle a bit much this season otherwise. He's not "wearing" on me, but I think he's tired from all the football he's played and still not at his sharpest best after starting preseason so late. Still, with his form not at his best, if he had scored yesterday it would have been 4 straight games he's scored, so I don't think there's much to worry about.

As for Standard Chartered, great to get all that money, but the best news would be new owners. Also, not wild about a bank as sponsor, will have to research them more to see how much they contributed to the financial crisis.

STANDARD CHARTED BANK SHIRT DEAL

Reported on Sky News

Liverpool FC have signed a 80 million pound sponcership deal with Standard Chartered Bank

starting July 2010

some additional info from sky...

Liverpool aim to develop their 'global ambitions' after announcing their biggest commercial deal following the agreement of a new sponsorship with Standard Chartered Bank.

The Reds have settled on a four-year contract with the bank, who will become the Anfield outfit's main sponsor and will replace Carlsberg from next July.

Liverpool hope the deal will help to build their status around the world, and the Premier League club's managing director Christian Purslow believes it is a sign of progress.

Purslow said: "This partnership brings together two highly successful organisations with a really strong cultural and strategic fit.

"The sponsorship opportunity attracted a huge level of interest from a wide array of globally recognised brands and in Standard Chartered we believe we have the ideal partner to move forward and help develop our global ambitions for the club.

"It is a real sign of the progress we have made at Liverpool that we have been able to secure the largest ever commercial deal in our history."

purslow can fuc_k right off as he knows dam_n well all that exta cash is going to go on servicing tom and george's debts rather than improving the playing squad or, gods forbid, paying towards a new stadium. this 'largest ever commercial deal' has fuc_k all to do with anything he has done.

purslow can fuc_k right off as he knows dam_n well all that exta cash is going to go on servicing tom and george's debts rather than improving the playing squad or, gods forbid, paying towards a new stadium. this 'largest ever commercial deal' has fuc_k all to do with anything he has done.

Geez stevie, why don't you tell us how you really feel.

look on the bright side, perhaps you found a willing partner to fund your stadium. Standard Chartered Anfield has got a nice ring to it.

Guess you will be wearing Green alot more at home in the future. :)

Geez stevie, why don't you tell us how you really feel.

look on the bright side, perhaps you found a willing partner to fund your stadium. Standard Chartered Anfield has got a nice ring to it.

Guess you will be wearing Green alot more at home in the future. :)

james we won't see a new stadium any day. it is not going to happen while the club remains saddled with crippling interest payments which the owners said would never be put onto the club. we made a record profit last season and still the money went to paying off tom and george's refinancing instead of on the playing squad.

Got Debreceni next. Hungary were a powerhouse earlier in world football but of course not these days. I believe it's the first meeting with this club for Liverpool FC? In any case, I like this about the Champions League, being able to play clubs from countries other than Spain, France, Germany and Italy.

I'd say Torres needs a rest, and possibly Gerrard and Johnson as well. I'd assume they'd all start and Johnson did only play 60 minutes on Sunday. Anyway, yeah, would be good to be up 3-0 at halftime and give Gerrard and Torres some rest.

Very entertaining but our defense has been unexpectedly disastrous at times this season. It always thrills to see a winning goal late on in the game, though.

Pure class from the lad Torres, just when you thought he had hit a run of bad form he does that :)

42 goals in 63 premier league games. not a bad return that for a lad who doesn't take free-kicks or penalties.

Most lethal striker out there right now i would say. He has that rare and magical ability to make a goal out of nothing. A class act. You guys are very lucky. Just pray City don't make a ridiculous offer!

Another Torres master class showing.

That takes his tally for the season to eight in seven matches and an incredible 33 in 34 matches at Anfield. This was also his fourth Liverpool hat-trick and the third he has scored in the Premier League.

We absolutely battered Hull and could of been more than 6 goals.

Yes, our defense has been poor at times, very strange. Carra's made some mistakes (still putting in his vital last tackles, though) and Skrtel's header was poor and a gift for Geovanni. I'm eager for Agger to return.

Torres needs just 4 goals in 13 to be the fastest Liverpool player ever to reach 50 top flight league goals. He'll best Roger Hunt's record if he does it. Think he can? Should be a cinch given his current form. He's simply amazing and think if we'd had him all of last season? I think we'd have been champions, but it doesn't really matter.

Our current form shows we can be title contenders I think but the wins need to keep coming and our form needs to be consistent throughout the season and any more possible losses and an inevitable draw or two be few and far between. It's so hard to win the league now that it looks the top half of the table is stronger than ever, and whoever wins I think it will be tight.

Just noticed on the BBC Sports website that a certain Prince Faisal of Saudi Arabia wants to buy a 50% stake in Liverpool for " between 200 to 350 million pound."Some people have got more money than sense. :)

believe this one when i see it. not convinced the lad has that kind of money yet.

bored a bit today so bear with me as I stir the pot...

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez blasts back at Jermaine Pennant

Reds manager takes swipe at former winger after last week's 'robotic' comments.

29 Sep 2009 09:22:19

By Zack Wilson

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has responded to the criticism levelled at him and his players by Real Zaragoza winger Jermaine Pennant by leaping to the defence of Dirk Kuyt.

Pennant claimed that Benitez's coaching and tactics were "robotic" last week, and also asserted that when he was a Liverpool player himself he had found the continued selection of certain players ahead of him mystifying.

The latter remark was perceived to be a swipe at Kuyt, who has been a consistent selection in Pennant's position of right wing for the last couple of seasons at Anfield.

"I saw what he [Pennant] had to say, but I don't intend saying too much about him," said Benitez.

"Kuyt's record is there for everyone to see and he doesn't need me to defend him. You only need to look at the impact he has made to see he is picked on merit and has become an extremely important member of our squad.

"He speaks out on the pitch and doesn't have to say a single word to justify his place. He is a striker who is as effective on the wing or as second striker, and, as you can see from his record, he scores goals as well as working hard.

"He is the sort of player who would be good for any manager. We signed him then extended his contract because we knew he was an excellent player and outstanding professional. I could put him in central defence and he would be as good as anyone."

I really like the last sentence - not exactly a ringing endorsement for carra and co :)