Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I'm sure all the Spurs fans here (who seem to outnumber actual Liverpool fans on this thread) will be happy that we lost out on a player who seemingly wanted to follow Rodgers to Liverpool and then mystifyingly out of nowhere ended up going to Tottenham. Quite dumbfounded, I am.

First Swansea should be annoyed they lost out on a great deal because he wanted to follow the manager but then Liverpool should just be shocked that he didn't actually do so. I suppose the draw of London and slightly more money convinced him? Perhaps they told him they were getting AVB and he wanted to wait until it was confirmed so he could work with him. I have no clue, and it's just one player but kind of frustrating all the same...

Liverpool fans need to face up to the fact that at the moment we are not an attractive proposition. Spurs finished 4th and can offer him a better chance of getting CL football, also he might not have even been a guaranteed starter here with Lucas, Henderson and apparantley Aquilani due to come back. I still expect Rodgers to make several changes but it's baby steps at this point.

Well, how i read it was:

We gazumpted Swansea and "put them in their place" by having Sigurdsson prefer us to them

Along come Spurs and it hurts me to say this, but....do the same thing to us !!!!!

Reading between the lines at what Rogers is saying now, there will be little budget as it is, so i think he'll be looking to other areas of the squad that need players for, before tinkering with a midfield that has plenty of bodies in there.

Its continuity we need right now afterall, not more wholesale changes, or "selling to buy" like we have done in the recent past.

We are a long way off being an attractive proposition, so we better both get used to it in the first place and secondly, hope and pray that we keep what we have got from going to other clubs.

This episode has shown us we are competing in the transfer market with the likes of Stoke, Sunderland, Newcastle, and West Ham, even (no disrepect to those teams, BTW)

Also it can be likened to....we are looking in the George at Asda aisle, as it were.

The players we are seriously being linked to are those around the single figure milllion, and are of no interest to the now big five or six clubs above us in the pecking order.

That's the problem at the moment, IMO.

Once the likes of some London clubs, and both Manchester clubs have had their fill, we will be left with the scraps, unless and until this new manager can turn things around, given time. I just hope he has more to offer than this tika-taka <deleted> everyone seems hung up on at present, though.

While that might work for Barca, and in La Liga, it dont think its going to work in the Prem for too long, if at all.

And certainly not with the likes of a team with a big centre forward of the old school variety, a number 7 that likes going on mazey, junky runs at defences, and a midfield general that's known for the spectacular long range blockbuster goals he scores.

Penkoprod

I'm sure all the Spurs fans here (who seem to outnumber actual Liverpool fans on this thread) will be happy that we lost out on a player who seemingly wanted to follow Rodgers to Liverpool and then mystifyingly out of nowhere ended up going to Tottenham. Quite dumbfounded, I am.

First Swansea should be annoyed they lost out on a great deal because he wanted to follow the manager but then Liverpool should just be shocked that he didn't actually do so. I suppose the draw of London and slightly more money convinced him? Perhaps they told him they were getting AVB and he wanted to wait until it was confirmed so he could work with him. I have no clue, and it's just one player but kind of frustrating all the same...

All jokes aside i'm also very surorised about this one. We have lifted our wage cap which is going to be somewhat significant. I also think he would have been told about AVB being coach and some other positives and wanted to work with the portugese.

But i don't go along with the thought process behind his wife 's shopping habits stevie and i doubt you really do either!

But i don't go along with the thought process behind his wife 's shopping habits stevie and i doubt you really do either!

was just passing on something said by a lad who knows sigurdsson carmine. wasn't about shopping anyway, was about the city itself. london is still a big draw to players and their families.

was just passing on something said by a lad who knows sigurdsson carmine. wasn't about shopping anyway, was about the city itself. london is still a big draw to players and their families.

Your very touchy these days.

no i'm not. i'm just hungover. :)

oh and FWIW the lad who knows gylfi says that liverpool offered him 30k a week, same as swansea, and spurs came straight in and offered him 60k a week. we weren't prepared to match it.

http://www.liverpool...l-new-third-kit

Euch. Hopefully this won't be coming out too often.

it's fuc_king appalling that. don't know what they were thinking.

If i were Rodgers i'd be pissed off with my bosses for letting another team sign Sigurdsson. Heres a guy, 22 years old who's worked very well with BR at Swansea and they just let another clubcome in and sign him.

I'm delighted we have him but a bit bemused that it happened.

If i were Rodgers i'd be pissed off with my bosses for letting another team sign Sigurdsson. Heres a guy, 22 years old who's worked very well with BR at Swansea and they just let another clubcome in and sign him.

Well sounds to me that it was Rodgers decision not to match Spurs offer.

"I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I had known was agreed before."

"I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I had known was agreed before."

Then he's not quite as bright as i thought he was.

Which, as we know from your own august words, is NOT how the Moneyball concept is supposed to work at Liverpool......

Is Bren La' bringing some commonsense economics back to Liverpool?

Exactly!!!

If you were Sigurdsson and were offered 30k/week (allegedly) and you have Downing as a team mate earning 120k/week. What would you do?

Exactly!!!

If you were Sigurdsson and were offered 30k/week (allegedly) and you have Downing as a team mate earning 120k/week. What would you do?

Downing earns 70k a week.

i think it just means he has a wage in mind for that kind of player and we weren't prepared to pay him daft money. gylfi's a tidy little player but 60k a week? nah.

i think it just means he has a wage in mind for that kind of player and we weren't prepared to pay him daft money. gylfi's a tidy little player but 60k a week? nah.

laugh.png Keep convincing yourself why don't you! He's a tidy little player with far more effective stats than the other overpaid journeymen bought by LFC. The only coach in the country that rates Henderson, who's a sunday league player and downing is the england manager so there you go. The description of a "tidy little player' is a very condersending description on your part mate to paper over the obvious that it was a stupid decision not to buy him.

The other ofcourse is that Liverpool is a club very much in decline and without direction owned by americans who don't even understand how to conduct themselves in footballing negotiations and appear to fail to do their homework either.

But i digress..................

Total <deleted> abs, judging by your recent signings the market is a lot higher than Swansea would pay, so how can you say that they both apply, sort of contradicting yourself really 15.gif and if you really think Rodgers makes the decisions on playerrs wages then you are totally deluded.

Edited by alfieconn

laugh.png Keep convincing yourself why don't you! He's a tidy little player with far more effective stats than the other overpaid journeymen bought by LFC. The only coach in the country that rates Henderson, who's a sunday league player and downing is the england manager so there you go. The description of a "tidy little player' is a very condersending description on your part mate to paper over the obvious that it was a stupid decision not to buy him.

The other ofcourse is that Liverpool is a club very much in decline and without direction owned by americans who don't even understand how to conduct themselves in footballing negotiations and appear to fail to do their homework either.

But i digress..................

Strange Stevie didn't call him that when Liverpool were after signing him 23.gif

Downing earns 70k a week.

pretty sure it's 60k as it goes. last summer's buys, and andy carroll, are not on 'big' wages relative to their transfer fees.

"Big wages relative to their MASSIVELY OVERPAID transfer fees. Lets get this one correct. Thats a nonsense statement because you paid stupid over the odds for them anyways. All three are two bob players that in days gone by would not have been deemed fit to wear the shirt.

Total <deleted> abs, judging by your recent signings the market is a lot higher than Swansea would pay, so how can you say that they both apply, sort of contradicting yourself really 15.gif and if you really think Rodgers makes the decisions on playerrs wages then you are totally deluded.

Alfie, I wasnt quoting myself I was quoting Rodgers.

I assume by 'market' he means the price that Spurs were prepared to pay for him. I assume by 'what I had known was agreed before' was the salary that he agreed to move to Swansea with Rodgers beforehand. (The wage at which Sig transferred to Spurs is by definition the market price because it is the price at which the transaction took place.)

Clearly Rodgers doesnt make all the decisions regarding players wages but if he does not wish to pay a player higher than a certain amount in order to meet the market I very much doubt the club is going to force the issue.

I assume by 'market' he means the price that Spurs were prepared to pay for him. I assume by 'what I had known was agreed before' was the salary that he agreed to move to Swansea with Rodgers beforehand. (The wage at which Sig transferred to Spurs is by definition the market price because it is the price at which the transaction took place.)

Clearly Rodgers doesnt make all the decisions regarding players wages but if he does not wish to pay a player higher than a certain amount in order to meet the market I very much doubt the club is going to force the issue.

biggrin.png

Why would Rogers not want to pay the market price for a player ? unless its his own money of course 4.gif

I was listening to an interview with Robert Kraft ( was a potential buyer of the club before those first cowboys rode into town)

When the conversation came round to "why didnt you buy Liverpool when you had the chance" towards the end of the piece. Its about the six minute mark of the MP3, where he goes on about a salary cap, and the lack of one as the reason he didnt make a bid for the club

He seems to know more about the prem than FSG even, and comes across as being a "decent American (would be) owner"

OK, he got confused with Watford and The Spuds, but other than that he made perfect sense, IMO

Take a listen here:

http://www.talksport...iverpool-176010

Penkoprod

Why would Rogers not want to pay the market price for a player ? unless its his own money of course 4.gif

By definition you pay the market price for a player because you are the market. dummy!

But you can only buy so many players....right?

(For instance if he had paid the market price to acquire Sig or set the market price higher to outbid Spurs to acquire Sig it would have left him with less resources to acquire other players to make his optimum team.)

By definition you pay the market price for a player because you are the market. dummy!

But you can only buy so many players....right?

(For instance if he had paid the market price to acquire Sig or set the market price higher to outbid Spurs to acquire Sig it would have left him with less resources to acquire other players to make his optimum team.)

I read this post to say that he would be in your optimum team 40.gif

Posted 2012-06-19 13:52:28

Abs said : Seems like Sigurdsson will almost certainly come in which looks like a good signing especially as he seems to have some goals in him

or perhaps he wouldn't

The only slight problem I would say with Sigurdsson for Liverpool is that he occupies a position that isnt a particularly high priority to strengthen at the moment. I imagine from the papers that he is going to Tottenham

24.gif And you call me a dummy !

Edited by alfieconn