Two Dead Following Sewer Accident At Central Festival Pattaya Beach

webfact

The main shortcoming is in the Thai education system.

Don't blame the victims.

In which country has the educational system eradicated illogical thinking and poor judgment?

The point is that the Thai educational system doesn't promote logical thinking and trying to exercise own judgement. That's why these guys were ill equipped to deal with this unusual situation, so no blame on them.

A bit harsh,

They were not informed/aware regarding the hazards associated with entering confined spaces. All confined space entries should be atmospherically tested before entering & then ongoing monitoring during the task.

H2S poisoning happens all over the world & it's unfortunate that these gents employers exposed them to this environment.

You seem to be very knowledgeable of these matters and good on ya, but ya gotta keep in mind that this is Thailand and

most matters of this sort (and many others) are dealt with by "seat of the pants" methods as there are few "Oscha" experts

or the "common" western technologies available, let alone the "responsible" folk to administer either. RIP the two responsible

men who attempted to solve the dilemma.

Doesn't make them smart though, does it.

A bit harsh,

They were not informed/aware regarding the hazards associated with entering confined spaces. All confined space entries should be atmospherically tested before entering & then ongoing monitoring during the task.

H2S poisoning happens all over the world & it's unfortunate that these gents employers exposed them to this environment.

I am not one for over-doing Health & Safety but there were some basic shortcomings here.

RIP

The main shortcoming is in the Thai education system.

Don't blame the victims.

Perhaps it is my memory, but I can't recall being taught at school in my home country, precautions on entering gas filled compartments/areas.

Please explain how the Thai education system is to blame for this.

Remember, common sense is not included in any curriculum in this world.....................thumbsup.gif

I beg to differ.

Thai education system is very authoritarian and don’t teach students

to evaluate different situations on their own. Not sure it would have helped these

specific individuals, but it could have helped.

And yes, “common sense” is actually influenced of what you

learn, and how you learn, at school (in addition to what you learn and experience

outside school).

Main point though, posters here that label the victims “idiots”

are really out of bounds.

Hi Naroge,

Don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming from. However, in my view anyway, my schooling was twofold, The classroom taught me how to read & write and taught me about my selected subjects, the playground taught me how to deal with life. This was as important, if not more so than anything I was taught in the classroom.

I understand what you are trying to say about lateral thinking, but a classroom does not necessarily teach this for everyday life.

Also while I am here, to drdoom6996, yes I also agree on your definition of common sense not being common. I used to call it something different; CDF.

But you would have to look up what that means if you don't already know as the mods may not approve. Probably a better description of what I meant................wink.png

Again, please don't get me wrong, this is not a flame post, only my simple outlook on life, the way it has worked for me.

Very sad indeed. Yes I agree with all the confined space entry etc. as I am an Oil worker and it is drilled into our heads however you know the way things are here. If an employee is asked to do something they just do it in fear of their job.

RIP and hopefully some learning will come out of this sad incident.

Reminds of this story from three years ago on Thaivisa where a Swedish man in Thailand's Trang province died in similar circumstances from well death apoxia. The well had effectively become an enclosed space, devoid of oxygen. However, in this case he was proclaimed a hero for going in and trying to rescue a Thai boy.
Air normally contains 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. However, if the oxygen level falls to between 4-6 % or less it can cause a victim to fall into a coma in less than 40 seconds, without any sense of suffocation or warning. This is similar to how at high altitude in eg planes you can die due to lack of oxygen (apoxia) without proper breathing apparatus. In the enclosed space that the well represented, presumably the oxygen level fell as it was used up by the people in the well and was replaced by a pocket of carbon dioxide, which is denser than air, and nitrogen, leading to the deaths.