Why Are There So Many People Who Just Bitch About This Country?

sadhukar

many people come here with eyes wide open , and when it turns bad e.g money problems, wife problems etc , they seem to blame the country

where excatly the same thing can happen in their own country

• Like 2

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be a poster on a Dutch forum similar to this one, though not for expats. I can tell you there were enough comments on there like here only it would not be about Thais but about, the cops, the government, the judges, the bankers, the (insert your favorite dislike group). Just like here comments were based on news articles.

Here things are so much easier we don't have to divide it any deeper we just say Thais (like they are all the same) and be done with it as we are not Thai so its easier to comment.

I don't think all Thais are the same but everyone generalizes me to it is wrong but its easy. Some complaints are real valid others are just plain crazy.

Don't have to go anywhere near a Muay Thai camp. Just walk out into the street and look up onto a building site - gotta be at least 55 deg C up on all that concrete and steel with the tropical sun belting down on them, and those guys (and women) are using welding gear and jackhammers. Tough as nails, IMO.

And mostly Burmese.

• Like 1

Don't have to go anywhere near a Muay Thai camp. Just walk out into the street and look up onto a building site - gotta be at least 55 deg C up on all that concrete and steel with the tropical sun belting down on them, and those guys (and women) are using welding gear and jackhammers. Tough as nails, IMO.

And mostly Burmese.

I see Thais doing it too, but in general Thais and other Asians that grew up here tolerate the heat better as we do. I have done some fixing of things in the house and outside. Its really hot and hard to do, right now I got my dad in the kitchen lying tiles he has a number of ventilators aimed at him and i supply him with drinks and help all the time. Thais would not have that much problems doing that job. (only it would not look that great as my experience with Thai contractors is that they are fast and take shortcuts and often leave bad work id gladly pay more for better work but in general they want to paid by the job not day or hour and that means they are in a rush.)

HK people marry Asians only? Really?

I know a number of HK people who have married non-Asians. Maybe what you mean to say is that Hong Kong Chinese people mostly marry Chinese. HK Chinese certainly do not marry non-Chinese Asians, in my experience.

There is a lot of pressure in Chinese families for the children to choose a Chinese spouse.

I believe also in UK most UK males marry UK females.

I was amazed to read that.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

OP hasn't been here long enough it seems. I think most of the complaining that goes on here is directed to the government rather than the culture. I think people should take it more as constructive criticism than whining, if you don't like what someone says then simply move on and ignore the post, no one is forcing you to reply. I think most people here have lived long enough to see themselves as almost being a local and even the locals do a lot of complaining.

- Things that I dislike here corruption and what it stands for (rules wont be enforced traffic is a mess people get away with murder ect.

- Traffic

- Thai attitude to work especially in construction and repairing of houses and stuff.

- Others

I'd shorten it to just 'Thais'. :)

I don't think all Thais are the same but everyone generalizes me to it is wrong but its easy. Some complaints are real valid others are just plain crazy.

People who generalize suck.

Most of them anyway. . .

• Like 1

OP hasn't been here long enough it seems. I think most of the complaining that goes on here is directed to the government rather than the culture. I think people should take it more as constructive criticism than whining, if you don't like what someone says then simply move on and ignore the post, no one is forcing you to reply.

I think it is you who has not been here long enough, judging by your inability to grasp the obvious. Most of the complaining on this forum is directed at all Thais and the Thai culture. "One bad Thai, all Thais are bad" is the prevailing attitude on TV. And 99% of the negative stuff on these forums is pure whining/whinging--absolutely nothing to do with "constructive criticism."

I don't dislike Thais. My complaints run to the government and its policies, and to corruption, cheating, outrageous driving, litter, and things that are apparent to me and which I'd like to see change.

I think it's entirely possible to like Thais, and dislike a lot of things around me.

But you don't like the Thai politicians making the policies (and probably also the Thais who like these policies), the Thai corrupt government officials, the cheating Thai businessmen, plenty of Thai drivers, the dirty Thais who litter, and also the Thais who don't see the things you would like to see changed...

I hope there are some Thais left for you to like...

:)

Op - I started a similar thread a while ago and asked many of the same questions. I concluded that the negativity in some of the replies to my post as well as the negativity towards many things "Thai" that we see here on TV or hear from Falang that we meet, is what you would probably expect from those same individuals in any country in the world, on any subject imaginable.

TV members seem to use the phrase "grumpy old men", or "grumpy git" to describe this subset of Falang on TV and those at large in Thailand. Where I come from we have a more definitive term - "sad prick".

It's because of who they are (personality type) as opposed to where they are. Trying to unwind their attitude to have some sort of balanced perspective is pointless and will only depress you. I suggest that you don't even bother (on TV) to argue with anybody who has a negative view - much better to post either a more positive experience that you've personally had, or maybe offer balanced critique if the situation is applicable.

Good Luck to you....( I may need some as well!) whistling.gif

• Like 1

Op - I started a similar thread a while ago and asked many of the same questions. I concluded that the negativity in some of the replies to my post as well as the negativity towards many things "Thai" that we see here on TV or hear from Falang that we meet, is what you would probably expect from those same individuals in any country in the world, on any subject imaginable.

TV members seem to use the phrase "grumpy old men", or "grumpy git" to describe this subset of Falang on TV and those at large in Thailand. Where I come from we have a more definitive term - "sad prick".

It's because of who they are (personality type) as opposed to where they are. Trying to unwind their attitude to have some sort of balanced perspective is pointless and will only depress you. I suggest that you don't even bother (on TV) to argue with anybody who has a negative view - much better to post either a more positive experience that you've personally had, or maybe offer balanced critique if the situation is applicable.

"Sad prick." That's good. And I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of the serial Thai-haters that pollute these forums.

• Like 1

"Sad prick." That's good. And I'd say that's a pretty accurate description of the serial Thai-haters that pollute these forums.

I agree. And it's a real pity.

It makes so that it is nearly impossible to have interesting conversations on here. Any thread is systematically, and very quickly, brought down by the Sad Pricks and their "bad this / bad that / bad guy / bad everything" depressing comments.

Don't even bother to post anything positive, it won't work.

• Like 1

"Perception is a mirror not a fact. And what I look on is my state of mind, reflected outward."

Look at it this way - "Why are there so many people who just bitch about ThaiVisa.com?"

If you want to get the most out of the forum, simply ignore posts that you feel aren't worthy of your attention, and focus on the (I think) valuable advice from the many wise posters.

Edited by sunlong
  • Like 1

I don't hate Thailand, but the place does perplex me.

It's the Forrest Gump of societies. For the last decade they've been progressing leaps and bounds, with seemingly little application of the practices that allowed the west such growth. Throw in their inflated sense of achievement, despite all the help they've received from outsiders, and it's easy to become critical.

Conversely, everyone knows the west has its problems, but acknowledging them isn't seen as being pessimistic, but rather simply being observant. Why doesn't this same standard apply to Thailand?

• Like 1

It's the Forrest Gump of societies.

-

I love it! "You never know what youre gonna get." and "Run Forrest, RUN!"

Some of the lessons I got from that great film as well as from living in Thailand:

• Xxxx happens, but you can still keep positive about the future.
  • Simple people can achieve great things, don't look down on them.
  • Friends and family are far more important than career and money.
  • Keep following your values, don't give them up just because outsiders tell you you're wrong.

Edit - found some more: http://12most.com/2011/06/27/life-lessons-from-forrest-gump/

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

It's the Forrest Gump of societies.

-

I love it! "You never know what youre gonna get." and "Run Forrest, RUN!"

Some of the lessons I got from that great film as well as from living in Thailand:

• Shit happens, but you can still keep positive about the future.
  • Simple people can achieve great things, don't look down on them.
  • Friends and family are far more important than career and money.
  • Keep following your values, don't give them up just because outsiders tell you you're wrong.

Edit - found some more: http://12most.com/2011/06/27/life-lessons-from-forrest-gump/

Thanks wai.gif And nice additions there. Perhaps this could have been its own thread -- damn! cheesy.gif

It's the £500 flight syndrome, no marks that did nothing in their own countries turn up in Thailand and discover much to their dismay that..... They can't run away from their personalities. If living in Thailand is the greatest achievement of your life what a sad life you've had. The place is over-run with saddos with the rest looking on with amusement, bemusement, contempt and horror at the slow motion car crashes that pass for normal life for some people. Then they come on here and moan about it. Oh, and of course it's never their fault, it's always this and that and him and her and them and a big boy did it and ran away. Or should I say, a 4 foot 10 inch illiterate Thai dwarf did it and ran away. Halfwits, outwitted by rice farmers daughters. The shame of it. <deleted>, seriously, the shame. coffee1.gif

Hahaha !

Partly true though.

• Like 1

And mostly Burmese.

I see Thais doing it too, but in general Thais and other Asians that grew up here tolerate the heat better as we do. I have done some fixing of things in the house and outside. Its really hot and hard to do, right now I got my dad in the kitchen lying tiles he has a number of ventilators aimed at him and i supply him with drinks and help all the time. Thais would not have that much problems doing that job. (only it would not look that great as my experience with Thai contractors is that they are fast and take shortcuts and often leave bad work id gladly pay more for better work but in general they want to paid by the job not day or hour and that means they are in a rush.)
Are you sure you're paying your Dad more,or is it a case of "Thanks Dad,I owe you one"?