Baht bus blockage at Central Pattaya Beach Mall, Beach Road Side

Jingthing

I've already stated you can walk away from the large area of blockage.

That isn't the point.

The point is this "organized" transport system thinks they have the right to block an entire block in front of the mall, blocking access in that area to baht bus boarders.

Who gave them them that right? Why is their right more important than the general public?

T.I.T Yawn.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty baht buses just beyond the wall of parked up vehicles. You just need to walk a bit further out and flag one down in any of the 2 remaining lanes.

When the Beach Road widening hits Central/Soi 9, it will be bloody pandemonium!

"You just need to walk a bit further out and flag one down in any of the 2 remaining lanes."

Exactly. Never found it a problem to walk more or less straight out to catch a Song Taeow there. If you miss one, there's another in 5 seconds. I don't think there's any fundamental theory of governance that puts the convenience of one person exiting Central above that of people trying to make a living. Waddle a few feet in one direction or the other. If you find that too exhausting, park on the lower level next to the entrance for a small fee and you won't have to rub elbows with the people of the street.

Edited by Suradit69

I'd think that it should be a concern of the mall management (Central Festival, I'll assume because I can't imagine taking a baht bus from Royal garden to Walking St.) and the management should do something to assure people have reasonable access to the businesses inside. Perhaps discussing this concern with them might prove fruitful.

With covered parking for well over 2000 cars (that is over 50% full on most weekdays and closer to 80% on weekends and holidays), I reckon mall management places shoppers using taxis marginally above the walk-in trade.

I know this is a pipe dream, but I was there on Thursday and the taxis were blocking the parking area where baht buses normal pull in to. BUT......after ignoring the touters I walked just to the other side of the taxis and a baht bus stopped. No problem. The "pipe dream"???? Maybe the taxi drivers will realize their blockade isn't working and they will either leave or charge less to get a fare. cheesy.gifw00t.gifcheesy.gif

I got the same feeling as JT when i drive the car and buses and minivans and taxi's double or triple park leaving one lane for traffic to pass them. Its just annoying and holds everyone up. Only during rush our does the police do a thing about them. Same principle those guys waiting should not block bus-stops or force other buses to stop on moving lanes thus blocking all traffic. Basic things nothing more.

The last time i was in Pattaya, a few weeks ago, it was getting harder to get a baht bus on Beach Road. They beeped their horns but as soon as they saw I was heading straight for the back to get on instead of talking to them (so they can charge 10-20 times the going rate) they would drive off. This happened quite a few times.

My visits to Pattaya are fewer and further between these days and getting shorter each time. It just gets worse each visit. This time it was the baht buses that were worse as well as prices being higher yet again for food, cups of coffee etc. I guess there will be one or two more trips but at the rate its going there wil be very few reaons to want to come back. Easy transport had been one of of the pluses but if the Phuketisation of the baht buses has begun then it won't be worth bothering.

I see a lot of russian tourists looking like a question mark when they leave the mall trying to find a baht bus, They ask all the drivers for the price and of course will walk away when they hear it will cost them 400 baht .

Its not a long walk so personally I dont care.

The last time i was in Pattaya, a few weeks ago, it was getting harder to get a baht bus on Beach Road. They beeped their horns but as soon as they saw I was heading straight for the back to get on instead of talking to them (so they can charge 10-20 times the going rate) they would drive off. This happened quite a few times.

My visits to Pattaya are fewer and further between these days and getting shorter each time. It just gets worse each visit. This time it was the baht buses that were worse as well as prices being higher yet again for food, cups of coffee etc. I guess there will be one or two more trips but at the rate its going there wil be very few reaons to want to come back. Easy transport had been one of of the pluses but if the Phuketisation of the baht buses has begun then it won't be worth bothering.

Reprehensible and dangerous practice IMHO. These oxygen wasters that trawl for a charter fare should be shot. It is bad enough that their 'normal' cruising route hasn't extended to Third Road despite the fact that Pattaya extends way, way beyond that. I hate the empty tossers that throw u-turns on Pattaya Tai before they reach the Sai Sahm traffic lights so they can go back on the cluttered Beach and Second gravy train loop.

But that's the songtaews and this post is about the useless pricks that drive the 'meter' cabs.

Edited by NanLaew

Reprehensible and dangerous practice IMHO. These oxygen wasters that trawl for a charter fare should be shot. It is bad enough that their 'normal' cruising route hasn't extended to Third Road despite the fact that Pattaya extends way, way beyond that. I hate the empty tossers that throw u-turns on Pattaya Tai before they reach the Sai Sahm traffic lights so they can go back on the cluttered Beach and Second gravy train loop.

But that's the songtaews and this post is about the useless pricks that drive the 'meter' cabs.

It's gotten so bad in Phuket that 18 Ambassadors went directly to the Governor, demanding a fix and a stop to the abuse.

What will the Ambassadors do next (when the abuse continues) ?

I hope they put the place on a no go list.

Short sighted, greedy simpletons are in charge here?

Basically that area is a bottle neck, and I think that area will be worse soon as the widening of beach road project will be opposite. I often get a baht bus from around Klang and get stuck there, before reaching the next problem spot, Tai. Widening of Beach Rd doesn't make sense......

The baht buses are no longer the great facility they used to be, they all want charter fares (and get them) or they park up and queue waiting to get filled up. In the early hours they block Second Rd as far as the Marriot.

I see a lot of russian tourists looking like a question mark when they leave the mall trying to find a baht bus, They ask all the drivers for the price and of course will walk away when they hear it will cost them 400 baht .

Its not a long walk so personally I dont care.

Those tourists are getting a great image of Pattaya though aren't they? Pattaya public transport the dearest in the world......apparently. As first time tourists how do they know to walk 50 metres down the road to get the same service for 10 baht?

No, it is not actually. The vast majority of the charter hopefuls blocking the entire block at Central are the TRUCKS.

This is just one example of a particular case of all these assorted transportation vehicles running roughshod on Pattaya :

All the tour busses parking anywhere, all these minivans and taxies parked up the Sois , together with the song thews parked everywhere. And all of above double parking too.

I know city hall does not want the old Pattaya - but not sure they want the new Pattaya either.

Edited by morrobay
  • Like 1

It's also hard to really separate the trucks when being charter hopefuls and the cars as the cars are OWNED by the same transport MONOPOLY and do not use meters even with their ironic signage: Taxi Meters.

People say: chill out, it is MUCH worse in Phuket. Be happy it isn't that bad. But as others have said, it is headed in the Phuket direction. Maybe chilling out is NOT the wisest response.

Edited by Jingthing

I like the system just the way it is, which mimics systems worldwide for having taxi stands/ques in front of entrances of malls, hotels, etc. I have complete confidence tourists exiting the mall can figure out after seeing all the passing sawng taeos that the pick up/drop off points are about 50 metres to the north and south of CF. The same is used on the 2nd Rd. mall entrance. This has little to do with Pattaya's image, Phuket or the mafia.

How come you "like" a system that doesn't serve the public? As anyone can see, for the most part those empty vehicles are just SITTING there, blocking the entire block. Yes occasionally they get a mark. But as said before for the volume of people that want their overpriced service, two or three waiting vehicles would be more than adequate. What they are doing, obviously, is trying to artificially and aggressively CREATE a demand for their overpriced charters that does NOT exist.

I like the system just the way it is, which mimics systems worldwide for having taxi stands/ques in front of entrances of malls, hotels, etc. I have complete confidence tourists exiting the mall can figure out after seeing all the passing sawng taeos that the pick up/drop off points are about 50 metres to the north and south of CF. The same is used on the 2nd Rd. mall entrance. This has little to do with Pattaya's image, Phuket or the mafia.

They have taxi stands in Singapore and Malyasia as we all Hong Kong etc and other countries I visit. But i don't recall that they block the roads, stand around all day waiting for a sucker to con or physically attack foreigners when there is low level price dispute. So, not sure the taxis waiting outside the mall are actually mimicking those in other countries, otherwise they would not be acting like a bunch of sub human psychopathic thugs who should be kept behind bars, they would be using the meter and/or would be a offering a fixed market price, probably quite a reasonable one.

• Like 1

Someone should be asking the question of why Central was not required to give up some of their property for a taxi queue

Instead of relying on the city of Pattaya to provide one for their use

That's a bit rich given that it is by consent of the CITY that Pattaya lacks taxi meters AT ALL.

probably the tuk tuk mafia is better armed than the police .

Cops drive tuktuks and keep the best pickup(scamming) spots all to themselves.

And yes, they have guns.

All tuktuk drivers cary some kind of weapon.

These a**holes drool when they see you coming out of the store with large boxes or bags.

Pay sucker.

What are you gonna do? Walk?

Good for commerce. Punished for shopping.........

Edited by DiNiro