Bangkok: Chula students celebrate graduation with Hitler

webfact

A Buddha in an art gallery in Germany is disrespectful to the Thai people, but this should be ok because it is in Thailand and not in Europe /Germany ? Another example of so-called respect in Thai culture.. it only applies one way. .... it is in the culture to say "that is thai culture".. for the rest a meaningless statement.

• Like 1

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could there be something to these Hitler stories reported lately? Do bad habits die hard? Thailand had a less-than-stellar record in WW2

It generates 1mn hits for thaivisa over the weekend until the political circus kicks off again on Monday.

Don’t write this off so easily. Every expat can agree on this: Thais work on a cash basis. Which country has the most visitors to Thailand? China. Any country on the decline? USA. In a conflict between USA and China (very unlikely, right?) which side would Thailand take?

The next Hitler might be speaking a language with no alphabet.

Wouldn't it be fun if the owners of the respective copyrights for the Superheroes unleashed a legal, dare I say holocaust, onto the idiots made the mural and their Alma mater (deep pockets there!)?

Edited by fstarbkk
  • Like 2

Stop bringing your western values to Thailand... they don't work here.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Just assuming you're serious for a moment, Mao killed by the million only his own people, and that by accident. Hitler deliberately murdered tens of millions of Europeans and others as a part of his attempt at world domination, and specifically tried to exterminate the whole Jewish race. Can you see the difference?

• Like 1

Who said Chula was one of the top Uni in the country ? well they probably never went to world History courses.... if there are any .which is not sure.

Chulalongkorn is considered the Oxford-Cambridge-Harvard-Yale of Thai education. Thammasat is a little way off as #2.

In reality, the Oxbridge unis in England are not the top ones for many subjects (e.g. Economists at LSE are the elite, science at Imperial College).

Likewise universities like Khon Kaen University have been hailed as offering better courses in various subjects.

Thank you for your view and opnion. Do you have links to all the research to support your assertive statement please?

Why not? This is speech freedom . We can agree with them or not, but meanwhile they do not hurt nobody, is ok in my opinion. Anyway, If we hide the history and deny our past, the people will forget what happened. I list on Ebay many times medals of Hitler (militaria items) , there are always some stupid people that complain and many times they shutdown my ad. What they think? The medals and the history will be forgotten? NO. We must tell the history, and do not FEAR it.

If somebody wanna admire Hitler, maybe we should ask ourselves "why?" , and then look for the ways to fix or educate. The censure is not a way for nothing, we only achieve to make it more fascinating and misterious.

goes to show just how dumbed down kids in Thailand are, they have no idea about hitler at all, really have to wonder at how the govt is going to improve the kids knowledge when they are this stupid.

Hitler is just a historical figure, no worse than Chairman Mao.. so get over it.

Just assuming you're serious for a moment, Mao killed by the million only his own people, and that by accident. Hitler deliberately murdered tens of millions of Europeans and others as a part of his attempt at world domination, and specifically tried to exterminate the whole Jewish race. Can you see the difference?

Sorry no, I don't see the difference violin.gif

• Like 1

whats disturbing is that most of the images on the poster are mostly fictitious "super hero" types that send something of a positive theme.... then there is hitler...

what you can extrapolate then is that hitler is like a fantasy character to them...a legend of some kind..so weird

Well, congratulations, you are perhaps the nearest to understanding the Screenshot - and what's behind it - but you still fail in the end.

Every image in the Image is - what?

An imaginary "Superhero"

The Incredible Hulk

Batman

Superman

(others I cannot identify, however I am absolutely sure Chula Grads and others of the same agegroup can).

and so Hitler is there too.

By associating Hitler, in the same Poster, with the ridiculous "Superpowers" of the others is intended simply to ridicule.

In no way is this promoting or even approving of his "policies" - or even those of "Captain America" (I just recognised another Character in the Poster!).

Patrick

Sorry, but your data are wrong. Mao caused the direct killing between of 6 to 10 million people in China. Only on the tibet were 800.000 deads.

In the "laolai" 50 millions of people were imprisioned and it's estimated 20 millions were killed on them

So.....Mao was much worst than Hitler in terms of death. And seriously, I do not believe Mao give much better conditions to the politic prisioners than hitler.

Of course, this doesn't make Hitler a good person, but Mao was worst in my opinion

• Like 1

IF Chula officials respond to the publicly, what do you want to bet that they mention NOTHING about any flaw in their history curriculum or any plans to address that in future?

Probably a good place to discuss the reasons for that now, but it may be off-topic.

Your analysis is spot on spr&q. Hitler plunged millions into world war, devastated cities and was resposnible for unthinkable crimes against humanity. He systematically set out to murder all Jews and other groups he disliked with a chillingly cold mechanistic approach. There have been many more inhuman monsters in the world, and Mao and Stalin are certainly two. But Hitler's inhumanity and crimes outweigh all the others. He and his regime were the most dispicable.

Hitler is Hitler.

Mao is Mao.

Stalin is Stalin.

Pol Pot is Pol Pot.

It's not a dead bodies competition.

Each case has it's own specific history.

I would submit the average college educated Thai (who didn't study foreign affairs or similar) would not know any of those people. Maybe Pol Pot.

Hitler is Hitler.

Mao is Mao.

Stalin is Stalin.

Pol Pot is Pol Pot.

It's not a dead bodies competition.

Each case has it's own specific history.

I would submit the average college educated Thai (who didn't study foreign affairs or similar) would not know any of those people. Maybe Pol Pot.

Well that's too bad. They are not simple subjects. For example when teaching about Mao you've also got to teach how Mao is regarded in today's China. He is regarded mostly well.

Sorry, but your data are wrong. Mao caused the direct killing between of 6 to 10 million people in China. Only on the tibet were 800.000 deads.

In the "laolai" 50 millions of people were imprisioned and it's estimated 20 millions were killed on them

So.....Mao was much worst than Hitler in terms of death. And seriously, I do not believe Mao give much better conditions to the politic prisioners than hitler.

Of course, this doesn't make Hitler a good person, but Mao was worst in my opinion

It's not just about body counts! Hitler destroyed countries, cultrues, and would liked to have wiped out certain races of peoples too. Germany caused two devestating world wars in a relatively short times space which cost the lives of many millions and changed the world forever. China suffered terribly under Japanese imperial forces, and then had to suffer communism under Mao. China has not caused world wars.

• Like 1

Well Hitler fancied himself as Aryan though what that is has always bafflied me? Indo-European? Whatever that means?? Possibly some Thai students see that they might be included in this category (and they might have a point if you look at the map) though I suspect it is ignorance or wore again reflecting on this country's values. If the latter then this of course is blatent disregard for such suffering that the world has rarely seen. Why? So a banner can look cool in another idiots eyes! Farang values or not, humanity is humanity and anyone who can not see this is frankly no better a human being than the idiots that made it.

It's not just about body counts! Hitler destroyed countries, cultrues, and would liked to have wiped out certain races of peoples too. Germany caused two devestating world wars in a relatively short times space which cost the lives of many millions and changed the world forever. China suffered terribly under Japanese imperial forces, and then had to suffer communism under Mao. China has not caused world wars.

Yes, you are right, but china had make political influence over the neightborns with similar results as Hitler did.

Take a look at

Camboya

Vietnam

Laos

MianMar

Korea (North)....

The list is long

In many of those countries, the culture were distroyed, and the population anhiquilated only by the creences (for example Tibet). They anhiquilate (or try) the religion (buda, or any other) and impose a political mind over the people by the force.

Sincerely, I do not see any difference with the effects you are telling. It's the same, point by point.

Hmm is using Hitler as a celebration mural any different to images of Buddha on the outside of public buildings in a European country which Thais found offensive. Neither is right and if you complain about one then you should accept the alter ego.