Why do people slap water melons?

soihok

By looking at the bottom of the melon to see if the colour is different has nothing to do with slapping it.

The deepest sound? Are you sure?

I am convinced that shoppers are subconsciously enticed by the sight of "melons" and just give them a good old tap, then as they have already committed to this and realise "what the h#ll I am looking for", put on a face that shows that " I am a melon master".

Hmm, works for most, but after observing this I'm quite amused.

No, it is about the sound.and only about the sound

Enticed by melons? well what if those melons are on a finely endowed young lass? You think slapping that i would stand a chances of a pick up ? Cheers the "melon master" lol

Ripe watermelons make a hollow sound when you slap them, a bit like a hollow tree stump makes, unripe or watermelons that are dry inside make very little sound, I think the theory is, the louder the sound the juicier the Watermelon.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I thump the melon and then thump my wife's head. If they sound the same the melon is not ripe. Gets laughs from the vendor and the usual Thai rant from the other half!

I think it is the very same thing for the cityfolks with melons, as it is for the countryfolks in Isaan with Pinapples. To find the most sugarish ones by flip their fingers into first the underside of their underarm and than comparing the sound by flip the fingers towards the pinapple.....

Good or bad I dont know, I thinik it is more a "thing" than really finding that good pinapple, and I suppose the same goes for the melons....

Glegolo