'No worries' over Aussie police workshop on transnational crime in Phuket

webfact

'No worries' over Aussie police workshop on transnational crime in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The Australian Federal Police (AFP) are in Phuket to hold a joint workshop with Phuket authorities on tackling the issue of transnational crime on the island.

“Phuket is one of the most famous tourist destinations in the world. Every day, large numbers of tourists from all over the globe come to visit us,” Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee said.

“Because of this reality, some terrorist or other criminal might arrive, disguising himself as an ordinary tourist to enter the country, and then commit a crime,” he explained.

“Therefore, preparing the relevant officers with the latest methods and tactics for tackling transnational crime is a sensible move,” Col Peerayuth, the workshop project leader, told the Phuket Gazette.

The workshop is taking place at the Novotel Phuket Resort in Patong today and tomorrow. The participants will include police officers from various local police stations; the offices of the provincial police; the marine police; and the immigration police, Col Peerayuth told the Gazette.

However, Col Peerayuth stressed that the workshop should not be seen as a cause for concern.

“It does not mean Phuket is in a state of heightened danger from transnational crime. This is simply a case of the AFP and us co-operating and sharing ideas in an ordinary workshop setting,” he said.

“These mutual talks will be beneficial because they will help us upgrade our work efficiency, and enhance our law-enforcement abilities,” he added.

AFP senior liaison officer John Tanti said that the AFP has been working with the Royal Thai Police over sharing information on Australian criminals and fugitives, as well as other security issues of mutual concern, in order to prevent the transnational crime.

He also reiterated Col Peerayuth’s message that the workshop should not be taken as a reason for the general public to be concerned.

“There is nothing to worry about here in Phuket, so don’t panic. What we are doing is providing advice to police officers in Phuket so that they will be prepared for any eventuality.

“In addition to Phuket, we will also conduct this workshop with peers in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, two other famous Thai tourist hubs,” Mr Tanti explained.

“Over the course of the workshop, we hope to learn a lot from the AFP, and, together with AFP officers, we will examine case studies of transnational crime, such as the 2002 Bali bombing,” said Col Peerayuth.

The workshop will include practice and training sessions,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/-No-worries-over-Aussie-police-workshop-on-transnational-crime-in-Phuket-21889.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-07

upgrade our work efficiency

I've seen it all now coffee1.gif

And now it's heard from the horses mouth.

There has been a 180 degree about face in recent weeks where these clowns are admitting that they are not world leaders in the brains dep't and that they can learn

something from people from outside the realm. At the present rate they will be seeking foreign consultants to advise them. w00t.gif

Hi there,

All happy Thai lovers!

Well I come from Victoria and alot of my friends from various walks of life are there. Yes many bikies from Banditos and Commachero clubs. Over the years being involved in the boxing industry I have seen everything you could wish and not wish to see. But I will say at least it is BACK and WHITE no GREY areas. Unlike some Thai style tactics.

The other day I was in Pattaya SOI and to my suprise 2 HELLS ANGELS patched road past !!

Unbelievable western strength landing and setting up shop in Thai. The Thais really do not no the strength and power of some of the Australian clubs. Under the facade of a seminar is a heavier pursuit going on with both authorities

Over and out !

Tommy gun

“Because of this reality, some terrorist or other criminal might arrive, disguising himself as an ordinary tourist to enter the country, and then commit a crime,” he explained.

Orrrr, having noticed the lack of law enforcement here (shakedowns don't count), an 'ordinary tourist' could very well ending up being a criminal. A free one.

Here we go. Let the Australians show em how its done. Just what we need another nanny state country

Surely, its a bit like Skippy trying to teach the Keystone cops?

This seems to suggest that a large number of Aussies coming to Thailand are criminals of some sort, especially if they go to Phuket. Are the AFP monitoring these and wanting to work with the RTP?

Edited by Baerboxer

“In addition to Phuket, we will also conduct this workshop with peers in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, two other famous Thai tourist hubs,” Mr Tanti explained.

But not Pattaya? <deleted>

No - its all Russian, Chinese and Indian mafia there. No room for the Aussies.

Hi there,

All happy Thai lovers!

Well I come from Victoria and alot of my friends from various walks of life are there. Yes many bikies from Banditos and Commachero clubs. Over the years being involved in the boxing industry I have seen everything you could wish and not wish to see. But I will say at least it is BACK and WHITE no GREY areas. Unlike some Thai style tactics.

The other day I was in Pattaya SOI and to my suprise 2 HELLS ANGELS patched road past !!

Unbelievable western strength landing and setting up shop in Thai. The Thais really do not no the strength and power of some of the Australian clubs. Under the facade of a seminar is a heavier pursuit going on with both authorities

Over and out !

Tommy gun

The strength and power of Aussie biker gangs has know bearing in the LOS. If they are connected and look after the right people then they'll be tolerated. Step out of line or piss off the wrong Thais and they'll be kicked out. Same same.

• Like 2

Here we go. Let the Australians show em how its done. Just what we need another nanny state country

Surely, its a bit like Skippy trying to teach the Keystone cops?

This seems to suggest that a large number of Aussies coming to Thailand are criminals of some sort, especially if they go to Phuket. Are the AFP monitoring these and wanting to work with the RTP?

AFP has had a Law Enforcement Cooperation Program in place since 1997. AFP officers are located at the BKK embassy & at the RTP H.Q. for transnational crime.

http://www.afp.gov.au/policing/international-liaison/law-enforcement-cooperation-program.aspx

http://www.thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/AFP.html