Thai House Book

Can somebody tell me if the House Book is an accurate measure of how long somebody has lived in any particular location. I have been told that is not the case, ie you don't have to live where you are registered and there is no complusion to re-register immediately if you live somewhere else.

Answers only please and keep it on topic.

My partner and I have lived together in Bangkok for more tha six years, and she is still registered in her families house in a village near Udon Thani.

In the those six years she has applied for two passports, registered a car, opened bank accounts and numerous other official uses all using the Udon book and our Bangkok address.

My partner and I have lived together in Bangkok for more tha six years, and she is still registered in her families house in a village near Udon Thani.

In the those six years she has applied for two passports, registered a car, opened bank accounts and numerous other official uses all using the Udon book and our Bangkok address

ok So I can't very well use this as evidense of where somebody claims to have been living on a visa application.

My partner just applied for a Schengen Visa, they asked for a copy of the house book and evidence of where live in Bangkok.

I'm sure that any visa department would know about how accurate the system is, I don't really know how much credence they would give to the registered address, but it could well form part of the overall picture.

• Like 1

Nope.

You could have your house book address in Korat, and live in CM for the past 20 years.

It means almost nothing. No compulsion to re-register ever.

Yes, a Thai is required to be registered at the address where he's living, but as with so many laws in this land they are ignored.

Did you know that it is already 15 years a law to wear a motorbike helmet.

This house book is the stupidest idea ever.

Might be a stupid idea, but Blue household card must be produced to the Amphur for provision of the Thai ID Card that is compulsory for Thai nationals. If lost/stolen and no copy of the ID Card, again must produce the household card.

If a Thai looses the ID, wants a new ID, officially the new ID must be obtained in the Amphur of the Tambien Baan

Officially, if a Thai does not live in the address of the Tambien Baan, he or she needs to obtain a new Tambien Baan for the new address.

Officially, of course, is the word!

As this is the official way of registering where one resides it should be accepted as proof for the application......if any embassy wouldnt accept this official way where does it stop.....we dont believe where you have been working by checking tax records, we dont believe how old you are regardless of your birth cert etc etc etc.Most Thais do in fact register in a book if they intend on living somewhere as it is required for hospitol care and education

• Like 1

The problem is that it is not easy to persuade landlords to give permission for tenants to be registered in their properties and Thais from upcountry tend to have an emotional attachment with their communities and properties at home. As a result the house registration system is an inaccurate record of where people actually reside and many upcountry people in Bangkok who are employed in the informal sector and outside the Social Security system are also denied healthcare as a result.

My wife has applied for various visas with a house book at a different address in Bkk to mine and it has never caused a problem. Sometimes she has just explained verbally that she is registered at her condo and no one cared.