Tobacco giant welcomes Thai court cigarette warning order

Lite Beer

Tobacco giant welcomes Thai court cigarette warning order

BANGKOK, August 26, 2013 (AFP) - Tobacco giant Philip Morris on Monday praised a Thai court decision to suspend government plans that would have forced cigarette companies to slap bigger graphic warnings on packets.

The firm, which makes the Marlboro brand, welcomed the Thai Administrative Court's order to suspend implementation of new packaging rules, which were due to come into force on October 2.

The health ministry in April decided to enlarge health warnings -- which feature gruesome photographs of smoking-related ailments -- from 55 to 85 percent of the surface of both sides of every cigarette packet.

"Today's decision now clears the way for us to show the court that this measure is not only illegal but also unnecessary given that the health risks of smoking are universally known in Thailand," said Onanong Pratakphiriya, of the company's Thai arm.

Philip Morris has argued that the ministry overstepped its legal powers and that the move would impair firms' abilities to display their trademarks.

The company welcomed the decision in a statement which accused the health ministry of ignoring "the voices of thousands of retailers, manufacturers and many other impacted stakeholders".

The administrative court said it had not ruled on the substance of a legal challenge by the firm.

"The court instructs that the health ministry's order should be delayed until the court makes its final ruling or a further order," it said in a statement Monday about its decision, which was made Friday.

Philip Morris has said its production system could not cope with the new requirement to print multiple pictures, the court said.

Japan Tobacco, one of the world's biggest cigarette companies, with brands including Winston and Benson & Hedges, said in June it was suing the Thai government over the plans.

The tobacco lobby has systematically tried to block laws curbing advertising or raising taxes on cigarettes, but more and more countries are adopting the approach.

European Union member states in June agreed to cover 65 percent of packaging with health warnings, but the new rule needs approval from the European Parliament to come into force.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-08-26

"...the health risks of smoking are universally known in Thailand," said Onanong Pratakphiriya, of the company's Thai arm.

I doubt that.

I think they are, but folk should live their life how they want too. If you want I can give you a reason why folk know the risks even up here in boony land.

If governments were really worried about people and health, they could always subsidize things like nicabate and other help quit smoking "medication" instead of wasting money on telling people about smoking.

But they make huge money from taxes on Tobacco company's and then again more taxes on quit smoking company's

In the end, they want you to smoke, it makes money for them

• Like 1

In order to discourage the young children from starting this bad habit, everyone including smokers should support this move by the health ministry. While it may be a big emberassment to smokers, big graphic disgusting pictures on the packets may dissuade children from starting.

Did not work in the rest of the world, why would it work here?!

• Like 1

"...the health risks of smoking are universally known in Thailand," said Onanong Pratakphiriya, of the company's Thai arm.

I doubt that.

Today's decision now clears the way for us to show the court that this measure is not only illegal but also unnecessary given that the health risks of smoking are universally known in Thailand," said Onanong Pratakphiriya, of the company's Thai arm.

Perhaps the said person might like to think about what is immoral rather than use words like illegal.

I doubt that.

I think they are, but folk should live their life how they want too. If you want I can give you a reason why folk know the risks even up here in boony land.

Perhaps you are not as far into boony land as you think? biggrin.png

'Boony' land invaded by people from 'Loony' land and advocating how to be more 'Bloony' ?

Well perhaps, but strange someone like me from loony land was on a puffer medication for my lungs, 2 weeks in boony land and no need for a puffer, many years on and still no puffer, strange isn't it. smile.png AND, enjoy a cigarette. whistling.gif .........laugh.png

• Like 1

Ok let me make a few points and opinions on this article...

I do Praise the Thai government for managing to get the graphic image on there in the first place as well it shows or at least appears that it cares for its people..

Will people still smoke? YES

Will they buy fancy little pack holders to cover the image? YES

In the USA the government tried to do this and did not succeed. I believe that a visual image can certainly have more impact than what the USA offers a "Surgeon Generals Warning". AS is commonly known most newspapers and periodicals are written at an 8th grade level, so where exactly does it place a Thai in interpreting the dangers written in words.

Perhaps if there wasn't too much censorship and politically correctness we wouldn't have such a desensitized public in the USA

Here in Thailand when there is an accident or a body cut in 2 from a motorbike accident it makes the news, without censorship.

I do feel the visual images do make an impact otherwise the tobacco companies wouldn't be so up in arms about it affecting their profits.

Visual image or words.. Will they still smoke? PROBABLY

In your opinion what messages makes it point more clearly to a wider age group? 10-20 printed words of some warning, or a gruesome graphic image of a heart or lung/opened bloody chest, rotting decayed teeth?

Ok let me make a few points and opinions on this article...

I do Praise the Thai government for managing to get the graphic image on there in the first place as well it shows or at least appears that it cares for its people..

Will people still smoke? YES

Will they buy fancy little pack holders to cover the image? YES

In the USA the government tried to do this and did not succeed. I believe that a visual image can certainly have more impact than what the USA offers a "Surgeon Generals Warning". AS is commonly known most newspapers and periodicals are written at an 8th grade level, so where exactly does it place a Thai in interpreting the dangers written in words.

Perhaps if there wasn't too much censorship and politically correctness we wouldn't have such a desensitized public in the USA

Here in Thailand when there is an accident or a body cut in 2 from a motorbike accident it makes the news, without censorship.

I do feel the visual images do make an impact otherwise the tobacco companies wouldn't be so up in arms about it affecting their profits.

Visual image or words.. Will they still smoke? PROBABLY

In your opinion what messages makes it point more clearly to a wider age group? 10-20 printed words of some warning, or a gruesome graphic image of a heart or lung/opened bloody chest, rotting decayed teeth?

Packages mean little. They still sell cigarettes in singles.

That alone provides access for kids to smoke for in advance of the effects of a picture.

As for their printing be, the packages are delivered preprinted. It would cost more money for more colours though.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Government will not save you. Educate your kids and let them live with the decisions they make in life. Stop trying to control people and they won't behave in ways to spite you. If tobacco is so bad then add it to the illegal plants list that don't keep people from smoking marijuana. If not, then legalize them both and reap the taxes. That what govts are for...tax farms for the slaves.

I doubt that.

You are right. It should read "...the health risks of smoking are universally known in the entire world,". Seriously, you can't believe there is anyone in the entire world that does not know about the health effects of tobacco use. If so, which tribe, and how long have they lived in that cave?

The large warning label is aimed at distracting young people from smoking - people who are more influenced by their peer group than by the touted "universally known health effects" (which may be known but not processed). These labels are meant to scare them away from what is undoubtedly a life-threatening habit. Most developed countries have had these labels for ages, but then, as we know, Thailand knows best!

I doubt that.

They might well know the risk but why should the taxpayers pay for their self inflicted illness and subsequent medical care.

I doubt that.

They might well know the risk but why should the taxpayers pay for their self inflicted illness and subsequent medical care.

I would suggest that road accidents in LOS involving all folk through lack of policing, guidance or parental control costs the gov faaaaaaaaaaaar more than the risk of having a smoke. LOS has many laws in place to protect and teach it's populous road safety to save life BUT nobody follows it up, it's all show and no go. sad.png

I doubt that.

Playing devil's advocate here but that argument doesn't hold up....... especially in somewhere like the UK.... where the tax revenue paid by smokers far and away exceeds the cost their smoking related medical care.

• Like 2

"The health ministry in April decided to enlarge health warnings from 55 to 85 percent of the surface of both sides of every cigarette packet".

Fine, but I like fair play. I demand the same ugly graphics to be printed on McDonald's packaging.

Something like that?biggrin.png

post-154100-0-89497400-1377581826_thumb.

• Like 1