Flight TG669 skids off runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love these fuzzy news stories......Did the plane veer off the runway which caused the nose to fail of course,

or did the nose gear fail on landing causing the plane to veer off the runway ? Or is spin control already at work....

Never expect real facts or information in a Thai "news story."

• Like 1

Derogatory post also one quoted reply removed:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

380 is made by airbus not boeing!!!

Agreed. It does not appear to be an airframe problem but a powerplant one. Let's find out and criticise the engine maker, not the airframe maker.

Same goes for the 330.

In the washout, I feel there is more chance it was a hard landing by a crappy pilot.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Quite strange that the 2 'quality' English newspapers have hardly picked up on this , while foreign media have.

Do you get a "feeling in your tummy" that those (alleged) "News" Papers don't want to upset their Advertisers? No, that wouldn't happen....would it?

Looks like Pilot Error to me....landing too far down the runway so can't stop in time. Can't say things like that though as all the naysayers will be out accusing me of being cleverer than all the aircraft accident experts on the planet and telling me if i don't like Thailand i should go home...yada yada. As if i'm bovvered !

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 1

With the thousands of planes in the air at the same time, it is a testimonial to the safety of the industry that more accidents, malfunctions, or screw ups happen as infrequently as they do. If we saw an article with pictures of every time there was a bad car accident we would all soon realize riding in cars are much more dangerous than planes. Ask yourself how many people do you know who have been in a car accident? How many in a BAD accident? How many in a plane crash?

Here in LOS, this analysis may not apply.

The only observations I can make from the pictures published so far is the very soft ground that the aircraft rapidly sunk into that probably cause the starboard engine stall and fire. The trench caused by the sinking starboard main gear is water-filled already. Was there heavy rain last night or is this an indication of just how saturated the place is?

Also note how only the port side emergency slides are deployed which to me indicates and well managed and orderly emergency evacuation since the starboard engine was on fire. Regardless of what caused the accident, the flight crew did a top job in handling the aftermath.

I flew in there last Sunday, it was definitely very water logged. Then the whole area was once prawn farms. Sounds like a right tyre burst on landing which caused the sparks and the pilot could not handle it.

Well handled excavation by Cabin Crew and prompt fire control by ground staff. 14 pax injured could be the same ones on every flight that unclip their belts seconds before touch down so they can stand up to get at their overhead luggage.

by CR

Modern planes are designed to fly with one engine 'not functioning'. This is probably not a Thai Airways problem rather it may have been one of a variety of problems. Bird strike, faulty engine component. This type of incident is not unusual however the good news is that all survived. Remember the Qantas flight out of Singapore a few years ago. Engine malfunctioned yet the crew did a magnificent job of landing a fully loaded 380 boeing safely.

The engine fire was caused by the plane leaving the runway with enough force that the nose gear failed.

Photo here......

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20130908-0

Flight TG-679 landed on runway 19L at 23:26 following a flight from Guangzhou, China. It apparently went off the right side of the runway, causing the nosegear to fail. The airplane was evacuated.

Reportedly a fire erupted in the right hand engine, which was put out by airport fire services.

Excellent post and description. Leaves no doubt.

• Like 2

THAI plane skids off Suvarnabhumi Airport runway
By English News

13786956572467-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 9 -- A Thai Airways International (THAI) aircraft arriving Bangkok from China skidded off the runway late Sunday night while landing at Suvarnabhumi airport, injuring 13 persons.

Department of Civil Aviation director general Voradej Harnprasert said THAI flight TG 679 Guangzhou-Bangkok left the runway while landing at about 11.30pm.

One engine of the Airbus A330-300 aircraft caught fire after landing, but airport firefighters promptly put out the blaze.

All 288 passengers and 14 crew were safe, but 13 were reported injured in the incident and were sent to a nearby hospital.

THAI president Sorajak Kasemsuvan said the flight left Guangzhou at 9.25pm local time and arrived Suvarnabhumi airport at 11.20pm.

When the plane touched the runway, there was a glitch in the tyre system, causing the aircraft to slip off the runway, sparking the fire in the engine.

The captain successfully stopped the aircraft and passengers were evacuated safely, but with 13 of them receiving injuries.

Rawewan Netrakavesna, Suvarnabhumi Airport general manager, said the airport closed the eastern runway as the aircraft was still where it left the runway. Airports of Thailand (AoT) may consider diverting some flights to Don Mueang Airport to ease congestion.

She said an investigative team from the Civil Aviation Department has arrived the scene to probe the incident.

Ms Rawewan said the airport would evaluate the damage of the runway, but believed it could be fixed in one day. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-09

Lucky the engine only caught-fire on-landing, rather than when taking-off or in-flight.

Maybe the fire happened when they reversing the engines just after landing?

One engine on fire could make the plane turn if it lose all the power on one side coffee1.gif