Android 4.3 release dates for Galaxy S4, S3, and Note 2

george

Android 4.3 release dates for Galaxy S4, S3, and Note 2

BANGKOK: -- Samsung has begun testing the Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3, S4, and Note 2 according to SamMobile. As such, the release and distribution of Android 4.3 is on the horizon, but when exactly is it scheduled to drop for the listed devices?

Android 4.3 is just around the corner for some Samsung devices. / © AndroidPIT

According to SamMobile, the distribution for the Samsung Galaxy S4 is impending and is expected to be live as of early October. In the case of the Galaxy S3, we’re looking at closer to the end of October or early November. And finally, the Galaxy Note 2 is trailing the pack with an expected release of late November or early December. If all goes according to plan, the Android 4.3 roll out for these devices will be complete before the end of the year.

While the Note 2 will be getting Android 4.3 at some point in time, it’s speculated that the delay to the end of the year is to allow the Galaxy Note 3 to enjoy an exclusive with the Android 4.3 OS as to entice more people to buy the new device or upgrade.

With the arrival of Android 4.3 to some of the Galaxy line-up, it’s also expected that the latest version of the Touchwiz Interface will be included in the update.

tvn.png
-- 2013-10-02

Its very possible that samsung will introduce their SIM region lock with the S4 4.3 update. Be careful depending on where you bought the S4.

If I understand the mechanism behind Samsung's regional/country SIM lock program for the SGS4, Note 3, then I can really see this being an huge issue?

I guess if you bought your SGS4, or Note 3 in Europe, you'd be well-advised to keep a European/Country-specific SIM on hand, if only to (re-) unlock it.

If you purchased your SGS4.Note 3 here in Thailand I assume you have a local SIM with which you could (re-) unlock it for use with other region's SIMs?

Some indications are that this is tied to the MCC (Mobile Country Code), which for Thailand (THL) is "520".

I further assume (hope?) that if your retail box did not have the notification sticker that Samsung would not add this with an Android 4.3 update.

Stoopid move, IMO, to address a relatively small problem but assume various retailers forced this onto Samsung to "protect" their markets/channels from grey-market lost-sales?

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/167621-how-samsung-is-region-locking-the-galaxy-s4-and-note-3-and-what-it-means-for-you

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2463734

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-note-3-region-lock-more-details-emerge

• Like 1