Speedboat propellor kills Indian tourist off Pattaya coast

webfact

come see thailand..the land of smiles the lure of a cheap vacation,with a free parasail,and endless seafood buffets...all run by children..who dont have a clue how to be hospitable or professional.....such a sad sad tragedy...

If all activities in Thailand were suddenly regulated, tested, insured, approved, fully trained, complying with all health and safety requirements as in the wonderful democratic western countries, then Thailand would be as boring and unaffordable as the countries most expats have run away from....

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come see thailand..the land of smiles the lure of a cheap vacation,with a free parasail,and endless seafood buffets...all run by children..who dont have a clue how to be hospitable or professional.....such a sad sad tragedy...

If all activities in Thailand were suddenly regulated, tested, insured, approved, fully trained, complying with all health and safety requirements as in the wonderful democratic western countries, then Thailand would be as boring and unaffordable as the countries most expats have run away from....

You are saying.........Come at your own risk......................It's all cheap here BUT, come at your own risk...............sad.png

You are saying.........Come at your own risk......................It's all cheap here BUT, come at your own risk...............sad.png

That is part of the charm - if you want safe go to Switzerland...

Sickening. This will only stop when the authorities put safety before money. What training and certification did the boat driver have? Did he have insurance? Had the boat and parasailing equipment been inspected regularly by an independent inspector?

If this was a one off event you could say it was an unfortunate accident. But when tourists are dying at sea every few weeks there's something wrong with the system.

Good Intelligent questions that demand answers but the authorities are deaf, dumb and blind - what do you expect from them?

And they talk about how wonderful tourism to Thailand is!

There is nothing wrong with the system - the system does not exhist in the first place!

• Like 1

Sickening. This will only stop when the authorities put safety before money. What training and certification did the boat driver have? Did he have insurance? Had the boat and parasailing equipment been inspected regularly by an independent inspector?

If this was a one off event you could say it was an unfortunate accident. But when tourists are dying at sea every few weeks there's something wrong with the system.

Can't you just say it was a tragic accident and leave it at that! What use would insurance be or equipment inspections in preventing the accident? In 10 years of living in Patts, I've never heard about a similar accident and what, maybe a million sails without incident.

Condolences to the husband on his tragic loss.

Got to agree with your comments,a tragic accident,must have been horrific for the hubby,we all hope this type of accident never happens again

Oh! For sure it will. When nobody will be held responsible, why should they change.

Yes, but then maybe you would't get all these avoidable tragic accidents. I wonder if the Husband agrees"e with you.

Complete stupidity on part of the driver! Should have never happened in a million years there is no excuse or defense for this kind of accident. When pulling anything behind a boat you kill the motor at the first sigh of any trouble. Probably won't be any repercussions from city hall as the Indian consulate usually does not represent their nationals well. If this was a Chinese or Korean you would have seen the Mayor at the hospital already.

The Indian Consulate is based in Chiang Mai, so this would be dealt with by the Embassy and not the Consulate.

Furthermore, I disagree with your statement, as the report in the Pattaya Daily News states that the Indian Embassy has said that they will take over all the costs to take them back to India.

I doubt that most Western Embassies would make this offer for their own citizens.

The British Embassy for instance offer very little in the way of support for its subjects, they don’t even Issue passports or visas any more.

spot on. horrible event but the Embassy is doing their bit.

That is part of the charm - if you want safe go to Switzerland...

I doubt the ladys Husband sees it as "part of the charm"

The British embassy are about as much use as a chocolate spoon ,dont know why they bother having one here.

The thing is why should the British taxpayer fork out for the cheapskates who do not bother with travel insurance or make provision for such eventualities.

My neighbor (well ex neighbour) had problems repatriating her deceased husband who died while abroad, turns out she missed out important facts about his health history when taking out travel insurance, It took weeks to sort out, seems the insurance company was compassionate in the end.

The irony of the story was she had him cremated after a church service when it probably would have been cheaper to have him cremated where he died and hold a memorial service for him back at home.

Even if you'refully insured, it would still be nice to have some help. After all, the Brits here have paid small fortunes in tax. Surely they deserve something in return. Can't even get a new passport here, which is completely ridiculous. And the services we do get and massively overpriced.2,500 baht to print a standard letter on one piece of paper.

• Like 1

Complete stupidity on part of the driver! Should have never happened in a million years there is no excuse or defense for this kind of accident. When pulling anything behind a boat you kill the motor at the first sigh of any trouble. Probably won't be any repercussions from city hall as the Indian consulate usually does not represent their nationals well. If this was a Chinese or Korean you would have seen the Mayor at the hospital already.

The Indian Consulate is based in Chiang Mai, so this would be dealt with by the Embassy and not the Consulate.

Furthermore, I disagree with your statement, as the report in the Pattaya Daily News states that the Indian Embassy has said that they will take over all the costs to take them back to India.

I doubt that most Western Embassies would make this offer for their own citizens.

The British Embassy for instance offer very little in the way of support for its subjects, they don’t even Issue passports or visas any more.

spot on. horrible event but the Embassy is doing their bit.

I still disagree, yes they are flying them home, however what they should should be doing is have some of their embassy offials meet with the Pattaya city hall officals and demand answers. Then issue a press release stating "this is not acceptable for our citizens". Only the driver in the boat an no observer. I have seen first hand many indians scamed by jetski operaters and then they complain that they cannot get any help from they embassy or consulate. It would seem to me by the shear number of indian tourists in Pattaya that they would speak up about their safety. Arranging transport home does not seem too difficult to me.

I've read some sad shit in the Pattaya press over the years this one makes me sick to the stomach. F'ing disgraceful! a newly wed woman has her faced ripped off by a speed boat propeller driven by somchai with no doubt an IQ so low he has to dig for it!!

Thais and machinery don't mix - they have no concept of how dangerous they can be and as many have said you only need to look at the driving skills in pattaya and then the news reports on a daily basis of some youngster that thought 30kmh was safe on a small motorbike that nobody could ride weaving through the traffic quite like he could - then........................................splat

It's the very same guy driving the speedboat but unfortunately it is someone else that becomes the victim as a passenger or a paraglider (RIP)

Thailand the hub of "splat"

education ? training ? law enforcement ? licence ? insurance ? TIT

The British Embassy for instance offer very little in the way of support for its subjects, they dont even Issue passports or visas any more.

"I doubt that most Western Embassies would make this offer for their own citizens."

Actually I would say 98% of Embassy's worldwide have the same policies - I can vouch for the US Embassy - exception; Nigeria , Sierra Leone and Liberian embassy, rumors abound that they just abandoned their citizens, as a large majority ofthem are here up to no good..........

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Rimmer
Coloured fonts

Thais and machinery don't mix - they have no concept of how dangerous they can be and as many have said you only need to look at the driving skills in pattaya and then the news reports on a daily basis of some youngster that thought 30kmh was safe on a small motorbike that nobody could ride weaving through the traffic quite like he could - then........................................splat

It's the very same guy driving the speedboat but unfortunately it is someone else that becomes the victim as a passenger or a paraglider (RIP)

Thailand the hub of "splat" and immature idiots

education ? training ? law enforcement ? licence ? insurance ? TIT

Thai's are the most gental, docile people on earth, until you put anything with wheels or machinery under them...........

"quote from Jim Thompson, 1964"

Thailand is a wonderful country full of smiling carefree people unburdened by those evil western concepts like responsibility, education, qualification, accountability. So enjoy yourself, and it is your duty to take precautions to ensure your own safety while being in this paradise. 1. Never leave your flat 2. always wear rubber soled shoes when operating any electrical device 3. stay away from the balcony. 4. don't answer the door unless it is the food delivery person. Have a nice time away from the Nanny states.

Another example of Thai incompetence and petulance in addressing to huge problems in their country.

and they way the Thai media has seen fit to splash the photo's of the poor victim around for everyone to see. Lets not mention the local authorities standing behind her for the photo op. I won't put the link on here but you can P.M me.

I still find it crazy that they operate these boats with one person. you wouldnt do that water skiing let alone paragliding. its surprising that there arent more accidents altho a friends of mines father wrecked his back doing it a few years ago so could be more injuries then reported

Terrible and condolences to the husband.

I am an experienced water skier and boat owner. For the prop to wind a person in the person would need to be very very close to the prop, the engine will stall very quickly, The prop engine should never be running when the rear of the boat is anywhere a near a person, this is common sense and should not need training but though I love the Thai people they do seem to be lacking in common sense.

Whenever I have paid for a tow in Thailand the boat crew are always mystified that I won't climb in the back of the boat until they kill the engine, they know the engine is in neutral and so think that is ok, I don't.

It is so easy to blame Thailand and Thainess but Thainess is why I like Thailand, I like the freedom from officialdom and petty rules but this does come at the cost of being more alert to ones own safety, we can't have our cake and eat it. I won't go near a bus or mini bus in Thailand and use taxis as little as possible. I avoid as far as possible any activity where I am not in control or at least partial control of my own safety, hence I will never parasail or bungy jump. Thailand and the vast majority of its people are lovely but there are downsides to their carefree attitude to life. Buyer beware.

I agree with your point on the propeller fouling very rapidly, especially with para-cord. In the earlier reports it said that the cox'n did a U-turn to pickup the woman; that to me would have been highly unlikely if the prop had picked up the para-cord and dragged the lady into the prop. It was later reported that the cox'n had the boat going astern for the pickup. Totally irresponsible action.

I have noticed that quite a few people are in agreement that before picking someone out of the sea that the engine should be stopped before retrieving the 'man overboard'. I would disagree, with the exception that if the transom was the only place to recover then you would stop your engine once you had maneuvered into a recovery position. The correct way to pick someone out of the water is to position the vessel up-wind of the person and allow the wind to blow you on, using the engine to keep the stern clear of the MOB.

One more thing that should be made compulsory for all pleasure vessels are prop-guards which encase the propeller to avoid incidents like this happening. Yes, they can cause slight cavitation and reduce the speed a bit but not to the extent of not being able to pull someone up to paraglide which is the point of the business.

Just my two-pence worth, 23 years experience of picking people out of the sea in boats...............thumbsup.gif

Why didnt the driver turn off the engine before he tried to do anything else ? He knew the victim was in the woter. This is an accident that would never have happened in a country where they know how to operate these boats .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

More support than the Aussie & Americans as well I might add

coffee1.gif

As for the issue of embassies/consulate offering help to their nationals, when taking out a Thai passport, the application form has a section where you agree to repay any cost incurred should the embassy need to repatriate you, but in practice say if a girl from isan was lured by human traffickers to europe and managed to find her way to the embassy, they would put her on a Thai airways home straight away, and probably wouldn't chase up the cost afterwards.

As for the issue of embassies/consulate offering help to their nationals, when taking out a Thai passport, the application form has a section where you agree to repay any cost incurred should the embassy need to repatriate you, but in practice say if a girl from isan was lured by human traffickers to europe and managed to find her way to the embassy, they would put her on a Thai airways home straight away, and probably wouldn't chase up the cost afterwards.

Less Chang and clarify pleaseblink.png