What's YOUR country famous for?

Maestro

What's YOUR country famous for? Map reveals that UK leads the world in fascist movements while U.S. has most Nobel laureates and lawnmower deaths
By SARAH GRIFFITHS
PUBLISHED: 11:50 GMT, 22 October 2013 | UPDATED: 12:45 GMT, 22 October 2013
From making babies to being struck by lightning, a new map has revealed the surprising things that countries are best at.
The map is based on statistics gathered from across the internet - ranging from sources as diverse as the World Bank to the Guinness World Records.
Created by online comic and website DogHouse Diaries, the map shows what each country leads the rest of the world in and the words picked - which are written across the country's geographical territory - are in many cases surprising.
-- Daily Mail 2013-10-22

Lemme tell you, breaking in some of those lawnmowers is worse than riding a bull in a rodeo.

If you only knew!

The good news is I've been nominated for the Nobel Prize in Physics for figuring a way to safely break in a lawnmower.

biggrin.png

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

If California was a country, it would be one of the top 5 biggest economies.

In Santa Cruz, CA there's a life-sized bronze statue of a surfer with his board. California had a governor who had difficulty pronouncing California. They've got a bunch of rich people in the movie-making biz, who hold annual ceremonies where they do nothing all night but praise and award fake gold statues to each other.

• Like 1

California also has Silicon Valley, with ten thousand millionaires who produce no tangible products. It's akin to NY, which has Wall Street, which also has thousands of millionaires who do nothing but push virtual paper around. In essence, the US is producing less and less tangible products, but still finds ways to support its lavish lifestyle with money coming in from China and Japan (#2 buyers of US debt) and other numbnuts who keep shoveling money in their laps. What the heck, let's all get fat, keep the bubbly poured, and party until the credit cards are maxed out. Who's going to arrest us, the FBI? The CIA?

• Like 1

Thailand: Rice exports

Let me correct that for you

Thailand : Rice hoarding.

There is only one thing the real world associates Thailand with, and it isn't rice.

Anyway, my lot

Britain is clearly football hooligans.

NZ sheep, even thought they don't have any.

California, nuts.

@LG

Belgium is Hercule Poirot

Edited by FiftyTwo

Total crap though isn't it. "Famous for" - a few are spot on, but most are not. UK famous for Facists? erm I think Germany must hold that one. How about "sun never sets" (empire) or "most inventions" (thanks to Scotland), "bad teeth", "Stiff upper lip", "decent beer".

I know diddly about the site, but it is obvious where the allegiance lies! USA famous for lawnmower deaths and Nobel laureates? give me a break! How about "gun crime", or "Hollywood Movies" or "Losing wars against third-world countries" or "starting wars over oil".

Canada, "maple Syrup" yep, but what about ":Mounties"? Belgium, "Chocolate", "EU Bureaucracy" and "Boredom". Holland "Clogs", "Windmills", "Tulips", "Van Gough", "Boys plugging dykes with their thumbs". Germany: "Bratwurst", "Berlin Wall", "Hitler", "Best engineering", "No sense of humour". Spain: "Bulls", "fat sweaty men with black moustaches", "cheap holidays". Italy: "fast cars", "food that was invented in other countries - pizzas/spagbog/etc", "Mussolini", "Mafia", "terrible drivers" . France: "frog legs", "snails", "miserable and unfriendly", "perfume, wine and tiny plates of food" and on and on and on - I reckon we could make a more recognisable map in less than an hour!